PDA

View Full Version : Hughes, out of order (re McGeady)?

Jim44
31-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I admire Hughes's attitude in general and I'm glad we've got him but he's bang out of order to say that McGeady's cheating 'doesn't matter'. What sort of message does it send out to his own players. Unbelievable. :bitchy:

ancient hibee
31-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Like me he probably saw Zemmamma getting a word from the ref for diving about 5 minutes after he came on.

HFC07
31-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't say he was out of order. He probably didn't want to get caught up in it all by labeling players cheats

the replays of Mcgeadys sending off shows him taking a fall without contact and every body saw. Hughs need not say anything.

RIP
31-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I admire Hughes's attitude in general and I'm glad we've got him but he's bang out of order to say that McGeady's cheating 'doesn't matter'. What sort of message does it send out to his own players. Unbelievable. :bitchy:

C'moff your high horse Jim - surely you can understand Yogi's motives

If you were a former Celtic player wouldn't you want to sook up to your past and future employers - for when Mowbray gets his jotters? :devil:

Hibbyradge
31-08-2009, 03:16 PM
He was asked a question and had to reply. What would the point of Yogi joining in the condemnation have been?

The boy had been sent off for diving. It's there for all to see. Nothing Yogi could say would change anything.

He would merely antagonise the player and Celtic, and it would probably have come back to haunt him the next time a Hibs player took a tumble.

At least this way he can defend his own players if, and when, they're controversially booked without fear of being called a hypocrite a la Mowbray and Wenger.

The fact that we may well be in transfer negotiations with Celtic could also have had something to do with it.

johnrebus
31-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Am looking forward to the way Yogi responds when - in the unlikely event he is still manager - Plan F has a go at us - before/ during / after - the next Derby.

:devil:

Personally, I would just boot him in the baws..........,

:jamboak:

Future17
31-08-2009, 03:32 PM

I suppose it depends what "doesn't matter" is in the context of. "Doesn't matter" to Hibs is perfectly fine by me.

Diving is going to be a massive issue all season and I bet it's massive World Cup issue in South Africa as well. The problem is that so many "dives" are open to interpretation, and unless you've actually experienced someone trying to kick you while you run at full pelt past them, it's very difficult to interpret correctly.

I do think McGeady dived but it was much harder call than the two dives Killen had later in the game, so why did McGeady get cautioned and Killen didn't?

Cropley10
31-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't say he was out of order. He probably didn't want to get caught up in it all by labeling players cheats

the replays of Mcgeadys sending off shows him taking a fall without contact and every body saw. Hughs need not say anything.

:agree: completely. Yogi's coming across well in his post match stuff, IMHO.

iwasthere1972
31-08-2009, 05:43 PM
IMHO Yogi handled the interview magnificently by not getting involved in the McGeadygate incident.

Anyway thought McGeady was wearing a pair of slippers and that's the reason he tripped up. :wink:

Believe in the Yogi. :thumbsup:

Woody1985
31-08-2009, 05:44 PM
As someone has said, he doesn't want to get into the pot, kettle, black side of things.

No one on here is gonna complain if we get through to the final of a cup/next round, scrape a point, get a victory for a dive. Yes, we'll give the player it tight on here but we won't really care.

The only thing now is for video evidence. The top leagues are getting so quick and players are doing more and more to get each victory regardless of what side of right or wrong it is.

silverhibee
31-08-2009, 06:56 PM
He was asked a question and had to reply. What would the point of Yogi joining in the condemnation have been?

The boy had been sent off for diving. It's there for all to see. Nothing Yogi could say would change anything.

He would merely antagonise the player and Celtic, and it would probably have come back to haunt him the next time a Hibs player took a tumble.

At least this way he can defend his own players if, and when, they're controversially booked without fear of being called a hypocrite a la Mowbray and Wenger.

The fact that we may well be in transfer negotiations with Celtic could also have had something to do with it.

Caddis or O'Dea.

JimBHibees
31-08-2009, 07:03 PM

for who? O'Dea ?

Hibs90
31-08-2009, 07:17 PM

:agree::devil:

Stoney Hibee
31-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I am sure if Hanlon had been on a yellow and the ref had been fooled by the dive, yogi's answer may have been a bit different.

Hibbyradge
31-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I am sure if Hanlon had been on a yellow and the ref had been fooled by the dive, yogi's answer may have been a bit different.

He would have argued that Hanlon hadn't fouled.

Not that McGeady had dived.

heretoday
31-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Yogi knows.

silverhibee
31-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Caddis or O'Dea.

You are just teasing us now Hibbyradge. radge.:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
31-08-2009, 10:09 PM
You are just teasing us now Hibbyradge. radge.:thumbsup:

How so? :confused:

Hibercelona
31-08-2009, 10:12 PM
The media were obviously trying to drag Yogi into it to try and get him into trouble with the SFA.

Yogi kept his cool about the incident and never fell into the trap...... a good man Yogi Huges. :cool2:

MrRobot
31-08-2009, 10:14 PM
He done nothing wrong. He handled it very maturely. Justice was done and McGeady was sent off; what would Yogi have achieved in slagging him off ?

Anybody notice how amatuer ESPN looks ?

silverhibee
31-08-2009, 10:24 PM
How so? :confused:

You said at the end of your post that Hibs may well be in negotaitions with celtc regarding a transfer, i would hope it is a player coming to Hibs rather than the other way round.

deek68
31-08-2009, 10:28 PM
He done nothing wrong. He handled it very maturely. Justice was done and McGeady was sent off; what would Yogi have achieved in slagging him off ?

Anybody notice how amatuer ESPN looks ?

In what respect? Just interested in why you say that. Anyway, had an interesting conversation yesterday about how players "anticipate" the challenge and move themselves out of the way - thus appearing to dive when they're actually trying to avoid a crunching tackle. Meanwhile opposing player pulls out of challenge at the last moment and it looks as though somebodys at it. Which of course sometimes they are. Grey areas galore here...

Hibbyradge
31-08-2009, 10:30 PM
You said at the end of your post that Hibs may well be in negotaitions with celtc regarding a transfer, i would hope it is a player coming to Hibs rather than the other way round.

Aye. I was speculating rather than teasing.

But those were the 2 players I had in mind.

New Corrie
31-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Even I thought that McGeady was harshly treated, it's not really about whether he dived or not, it's aboout refereeing frailties. You either book/send off divers or you don't.....in reality if refs were to punish every diver we would end up with 5 a side!

madabouthibs
31-08-2009, 10:54 PM
If McCheaty wasn't on a yellow already he wouldn't have been sent off, and all this controversy would've blown over by now.

I initially thought Hanlon was getting booked, then I saw the red and shat meself! :greengrin It was only when I saw Hanlon clapping the ref's decision that I realised what had transpired.
A fantastic refereeing decision, and I hope all the other ref's take note. :thumbsup:
Mowbray, a big strachan if you ask me, personalities must change dramatically when you set foot over the Smelly doormat!
Caldwell looked like he was dying to burst out laughing when he saw the footage! :cool2:
Killen, well that was the worst dive I've ever seen, but I reckon he knew that too, hence getting up immediately and trying to chase the ball! :faf:

Scott Brown?
A mere shadow of the player we had with the same name....

Steve-O
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Well O'Dea is officially away to Reading, so Caddis still in the frame?