PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon/Samaras incident

James70
31-08-2009, 01:27 PM
According to the reporter in the Daily Express(Iain Macfarlane), "David Wotherspoon evaded any punishment for giving Samaras a hefty thump with his shoulder". I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while. The reporter also mentions the incident elsewhere on the sports page and obviously has a bee in his bonnet about it.

I didn't get a good view of the incident but from one replay on the TV it looked like Samaras simply ran into the Hibs player and it was his own fault.

Anyone else get a better view or seen a close up on the TV?

Also noticed that Mowbray was making thinly veiled accusations about Hibs style of play in his after match comments following on from Eddie May's whinges last week.

I can't say as I have seen Hibs being over physical but I wouldn't like to see us picking up a reputation unjustly.

Pedantic_Hibee
31-08-2009, 01:31 PM
We've been competitive, simple as that.

It's about time we had a Hibs team that can man up when the going gets tough.

DaveF
31-08-2009, 01:36 PM
That 'incident' was nothing more than a case of Samaras turning into him.

FACT :greengrin

I had to laugh at the half time ESPN caption of 'Samaras smashed' - what a load of old ******........

Hibs Class
31-08-2009, 01:36 PM
According to the reporter in the Daily Express(Iain Macfarlane), "David Wotherspoon evaded any punishment for giving Samaras a hefty thump with his shoulder". I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while. The reporter also mentions the incident elsewhere on the sports page and obviously has a bee in his bonnet about it.

I didn't get a good view of the incident but from one replay on the TV it looked like Samaras simply ran into the Hibs player and it was his own fault.

Also noticed that Mowbray was making thinly veiled accusations about Hibs style of play in his after match comments following on from Eddie May's whinges last week.

I can't say as I have seen Hibs being over physical but I wouldn't like to see us picking up a reputation unjustly.

I didn't think we were excessively physical yesterday. The player who was most physical without earning a booking was Scott Brown, in the minutes after Zemmamma came on.

oconnors_strip
31-08-2009, 01:37 PM
i thought it was his hair that whacked him in his eye:greengrin

i know how sore that can be:faf:

lapsedhibee
31-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I assume this was about 2 minutes into the game when the Greek was lying flat out for a while.
Following TM's interview, I assumed that Samaras was feeling tired and needing a nap. It's just common sense.

GreenBlade
31-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Lets not forget that the vast majority of the Scottish press need the Old Firm to pay their mortgages! Of course theyre going to make a point of saying Hibs players should have been punished. The Scottish sports media are twats who would starve if they had to work in England. I'm sure your Mr Macfarlane will be angling for a Celtic exclusive by trying to make the ref pro Hibs in his report. What I'd like to know is how much has been made of Killens attempt to get Hogg sent off?! That if anything was worse! I notice BBC sport don't show it in their video highlights. Of course if they did it would make Celtic look particulary bad so maybe Big Tony should just shut his face and get on with it.

Speaking about Mr Mowbray? TV pictures showed him screaming for a foul at McGeadys dive. His argument was that Aiden didn't dive end of. So why hasn't he admitted thinking it was a foul? He was wrong. The ref had no alternative other than to book him. Riding tackles used to be part of the game but you could see when McGeady looked up he was looking for a foul. McGeady was wrong, so was Mowbray. And so are the Glasgow media. Get on with it!

Gingertosser
31-08-2009, 02:05 PM
caught the replay at half time and it did look very sore :greengrin

I don't believe it to be intentional, basically because Samaras was looking at the ground slouched over and turned into Wotherspoons shoulder with his cheek. Wotherspoon didn't exactly try to avoid Samaras, but does he have to :confused:

Dan Sarf
31-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I know this won't be popular but I thought at the time (watching on TV) that Wotherspoon deliberately gave him a right good thump after the ball was gone. And looking at the highlights on HI, I still do. Not very nice.

Haymaker
31-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Spoony didnt move his shoulder in anyway from what i can see, just simply kept going past samaras. Samaras smacked his puss on spoony's passing shoulder. END OF.

matty_f
31-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I thought it looked like Wotherspoon was anticipating the collision, and rather than doing a McGeady and throwing himself to the ground, he just braced for the contact and came off best.

Nothing in it, IMHO. I mean, you have to go some to deliberately shoulder someone in the face. An elbow, or a fist - fair enough. A shoulder? Nah.

danhibees1875
31-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I know this won't be popular but I thought at the time (watching on TV) that Wotherspoon deliberately gave him a right good thump after the ball was gone. And looking at the highlights on HI, I still do. Not very nice.

Id agree with this. :agree:

Hard to tell for sure though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Not that I have seen the pictures but weren't the tele boys saying the Samras should have seen that and been able to get out of the way? Mind you, most daily papers are no more than OF fanzines so they need to cater for the audience.

ancient hibee
31-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Samaras being a Celtic player naturally expected young Wotherspoon to get out of his way.Very big mistake.Noticeable that Samaras didn't go seeking retribution.Any young player coming into a team has to let it be known that he won't be messed around.Doesn't mean you have to foul or be dirty-just stand your ground.

bigstu
31-08-2009, 03:41 PM
We've been competitive, simple as that.

It's about time we had a Hibs team that can man up when the going gets tough.

i'd agree with that, falkirk used to be similar under Hughes, not dirty but competitive when required, as you say it's about time! :agree:

J-C
31-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Samaras was running blind, turned round and whack, right into Wotherspoon's shoulder, tit. :greengrin

Jones28
31-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Samaras was running one way, Spooney the other, both were looking at the ball. Complete accident :agree:

GhostofBolivar
31-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I see no problem. He was just finishing his check. Bamba did the same not that long after.

A truculent team is a happy team.

Greenway
31-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Samaras was running one way, Spooney the other, both were looking at the ball. Complete accident :agree:

It's true what they say about love being blind. Seen it on interactive, not a chance of it being an accident, he was a very lucky/stupid lad. We can do without any of that nonsense.

greenlex
31-08-2009, 05:24 PM
i thought it was his hair that whacked him in his eye:greengrin

i know how sore that can be:faf:

Is it? I will have to take your word for it

Judas Iscariot
31-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Should've hit him harder..

down-the-slope
31-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Thats what I saw live..they were sort of crossing with David heading to the box to cover move and Samaras heading for the corner to support move....Nae Slippers please :faf:

The_Horde
31-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Christ a wee barge and people are going radio rental.

Yogi's right, we will be playing football with slippers on in the not too distant future.

CapitalHibs
31-08-2009, 07:05 PM
It's true what they say about love being blind. Seen it on interactive, not a chance of it being an accident, he was a very lucky/stupid lad. We can do without any of that nonsense.

Yer right:agree:

If one of them had done that to a Hibs player, we would have had at least a seven page thread:rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
31-08-2009, 07:13 PM

:agree: My thoughts when I saw it in real time and again on the replays.

Made no attempt to get out the way and knew what he was doing. Was expecting a card to be produced and IMHO was lucky to escape unpunished.

maturehibby
31-08-2009, 07:25 PM
My son says this and I had to agree on 20 grand as week and if you seen him on the street you would put money in his hand - what a tramp

benrocky
31-08-2009, 09:27 PM
:agree: My thoughts when I saw it in real time and again on the replays.

Made no attempt to get out the way and knew what he was doing. Was expecting a card to be produced and IMHO was lucky to escape unpunished.

What game were you watching ? Why do you clowns go radio rental about a pure accidental coming to-gether of two players during a game .

Please grow up :dummytit:

clerriehibs
31-08-2009, 09:36 PM
"reporter" who did the marks out of 10 for the players in todays' Herald complained about the challenge. The reporter is a mammary gland, tho' ... he ridicules the contribution of each Hibs player, whilst praising all the celtc ones.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Well done Spoony.

It's not a foul when you don't get caught bedwetters.....:wink:

madabouthibs
31-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd like to see the love guru play some Sunday league if he's all pooved out over that one! What a fud. :boo hoo:

Greenway
31-08-2009, 11:15 PM
What game were you watching ? Why do you clowns go radio rental about a pure accidental coming to-gether of two players during a game .

Dear Richard,

If you can look at this event and only see an "accidental coming together" then perhaps you should have gone to Specsavers. If he had been "clocked" he would have gone off leaving us with 10 men early in the first half. We are not going "radio rental" about this incident, simply pointing out that the lad needs to be a bit smarter in future.

I take it you didn't realise how ironic it was that you finished your scribbling with the "please grow up".

Kind regards
Bozo
President of the Clown association

iwasthere1972
31-08-2009, 11:20 PM

:top marks Think you're the first one to call me a clown. Well I could resort to name calling but I will resist it. :wink:

What I said in my original post was genuinely how I saw it both at the time and during the numerous replays. If the glove had been on the other hand then I'm sure there would be plenty folk on this board complaining.

aussie_hibee
31-08-2009, 11:25 PM
FWIW I think Wotherspoon did see him coming and I think Samaras expected him to just move for him or be able to run through and keep going for the ball. It shows a few things about Wotherspoon. He will not be intimidated, he's willing to mix it and he's smart about doing it. I have no problem with this whatsoever. It's about time we added it to our game, it's been happening to us for years. As long as he doesn't get carried away and start making it more obvious (and I don't think he will).

Cracking player with a big future in the game.

benrocky
01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Dear Richard,

If you can look at this event and only see an "accidental coming together" then perhaps you should have gone to Specsavers. If he had been "clocked" he would have gone off leaving us with 10 men early in the first half. We are not going "radio rental" about this incident, simply pointing out that the lad needs to be a bit smarter in future.

I take it you didn't realise how ironic it was that you finished your scribbling with the "please grow up".

Kind regards
Bozo
President of the Clown association

You are welcome Bozo Itake it you are going to specsavers tomorrow.:faf:

Phil MaGlass
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I thought it was intentional myself and still do but anyhoos he got away with it so well done Wotherspoon.

Arch Stanton
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM

:agree:

And yet the TV commentator made the same point about it being deliberate. However, Samaras played the ball down the wing and ran into space in the middle - Wotherspoon ran towards the ball and there was a collision.

I don't think that there is anything in the rule book about Celtic players always having the right of way! Personally I would think that Wotherspoon should have had right of way since he was moving towards the ball :greengrin