PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Points on Yesterdays Game (atmosphere / crowd)

HFC 0-7
31-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Yesterday was my first time back to Easter Road for a while. I used to sit in the east stand but I now have a season ticket in the west for family reasons. I must say that I was really disappointed yesterday with the change in the atmosphere. When did all the singing stop. I can remember when the whole of the east stand used to sing, but yesterday it seemed like only the part nearest the away support was singing. Is this just a once of or has it been happening for a while. I hardly heard any singing from the west or the famous five. Also, why so many empty seats? I can remember from this messageboard all the posts from people and polls about season tickets getting bought should mixu get the bullet! Is there a section of support that dont support Yogi?

sambajustice
31-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Yesterday was my first time back to Easter Road for a while. I used to sit in the east stand but I now have a season ticket in the west for family reasons. I must say that I was really disappointed yesterday with the change in the atmosphere. When did all the singing stop. I can remember when the whole of the east stand used to sing, but yesterday it seemed like only the part nearest the away support was singing. Is this just a once of or has it been happening for a while. I hardly heard any singing from the west or the famous five. Also, why so many empty seats? I can remember from this messageboard all the posts from people and polls about season tickets getting bought should mixu get the bullet! Is there a section of support that dont support Yogi?

£27 a ticket on pretty much a sunday morning when hangovers are still rife! Oh, and its on the TV!

I would say thats the main reasons!

greenginger
31-08-2009, 09:37 AM
£27 a ticket on pretty much a sunday morning when hangovers are still rife! Oh, and its on the TV!

I would say thats the main reasons!

Early kick-offs are always a passion killer at Easter Road and everwhere else

Antifa Hibs
31-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Thought the atmosphere was dire yesterday aswell. East is rapidly going downhill for a sing song as the seasons go by...

The crowd was pish IMO. 14221 was the crowd, take away 3700 travelling supporters and that leaves you with just 10500 Hibs fans. To me that is pisspoor when you consider we've just came of the back of two wins, signed a few new players, have a new gaffer in charge etc and that was our first 'big game' of the season.

I know the £27 is expensive, but OF games always have been compared to the non-OF affairs.

Hibs will need to seriously re-think their pricing for these games. We have less fans at games versus Rangers and Celtic than we do against St Mirren, Hamilton at home etc. Crazy.

Sylar
31-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think this TV/Sunday morning argument stands up to be honest. Hearts played Rangers at the same time last Sunday, also on Sky, probably also quite costly for PATG supporters and there weren't many empty seats in the stands.

Hearts/Rangers fans would have had more of an excuse for a poor attendance last week, what with a) the game is on Sky, and more readily available than ESPN, b) Hearts fans would have spent their money going to their European fixture, just 3 days prior to the game, and c) said hangovers/cost/travel from Glasgow etc.

On a Sunday afternoon, when the game weather is decent, and one of the "big boys" are in town, we should have no excuses for not packing the stadium. We know we have a significant fanbase (look at the CIS attendance vs Killie, the travelling support to Bolton etc), so where do they disappear to come gameday?

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Hibs will need to seriously re-think their pricing for these games. We have less fans at games versus Rangers and Celtic than we do against St Mirren, Hamilton at home etc. Crazy.

Maybe says more about Celtic and Rangers than Hamilton and St Mirren.

I don't enjoy games against the OF, regardless of cost and less so on Sunday morning. I hate their "fans" belting out their support for the "ra" (or King Billy, depends on which version of Rantic we're playing), I dispise the way their players going about their business in the way they do - but on this occasion at least McGreedy got his comeuppance.

I much prefer games against the rest of the SPL.

If it was at Category B prices it'd be easier to stomach I guess, but that's just me.

jgl07
31-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Yesterday was my first time back to Easter Road for a while. I used to sit in the east stand but I now have a season ticket in the west for family reasons. I must say that I was really disappointed yesterday with the change in the atmosphere. When did all the singing stop. I can remember when the whole of the east stand used to sing, but yesterday it seemed like only the part nearest the away support was singing.
The problem was that the East Stand appeared to be half empty.

The blocks at the North end were very sparse.

Overall with an official attendance of 14,000 or so, there were far fewer Hibs supporters in the ground than against St Mirren (10,500 against 12,500).

I suspect that it is a mixture of match on TV, Sunday lunchtime start and a dislike of OF matches.

RIP
31-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I have two laddies who love to see the Hibees. We were at Falkirk last week with the wee bro and his 2 kids.

Your average match sets me back @ £60. How can I possibly warrant two or three such outings per month?

I dont know what your discretionary spend aka pocket money amounts to each month but it's nowhere near £200 for me - that's fer sure

Maybe one day I'll get us ST's - when I have a surplus £500

We had to resort to watching the match on the telly

Also Cammy plays fitba on a Sunday

spudhib
31-08-2009, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=49years a Hibee;2154902]I have two laddies who love to see the Hibees. We were at Falkirk last week with the wee bro and his 2 kids.

Your average match sets me back @ £60. How can I possibly warrant two or three such outings per month?

I dont know what your discretionary spend aka pocket money amounts to each month but it's nowhere near £200 for me - that's fer sure

Also Cammy plays fitba on a Sunday[/QUOT

Think your final point is worth noting imo,a lot of guys with laddies age 8-15 would be watching them playing on sunday mornings and would find it tough to make ER for 12.30.

Antifa Hibs
31-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I have two laddies who love to see the Hibees. We were at Falkirk last week with the wee bro and his 2 kids.

TBH I don't think many people will have a surplus £500 for season tickets but they budget and save for it.

This isn't aimed at you but people on here seem to think those that have season tickets must be able to pluck £350 out of fresh air and those that attend away games must be absulutely loaded. I'm on a pish income, probably not much over minimum wage but i've held my season ticket for about two decades and have probably missed about 3 away matches in the last 5 years. I'm not wanting to sound a twat but its because I budget for the football. I start saving for my season ticket at Xmas, put £50 a month away for it. If we've got an expensive away game such as Aberdeen or Rangers away i'll stay in that whole week. It was the same as I was a bairn, every year for about 10 years my birthday present was a season ticket, if I wanted to go to St Johnstone away I'd have the choice of the £40 trainers and no footy or the £30 trainers and goto the match.

Football is expensive, thats granted. But I think alot of people just use it as an excuse not to go, because if they really did want a season ticket or goto an away game, they would. Going to the footy isn't a god given right, you do actually need to put a bit effort into it and sacrifice a few things. All IMO of course. Again, the above isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

PeeKay
31-08-2009, 10:43 AM
TBH I don't think many people will have a surplus £500 for season tickets but they budget and save for it.

This isn't aimed at you but people on here seem to think those that have season tickets must be able to pluck £350 out of fresh air and those that attend away games must be absulutely loaded. I'm on a pish income, probably not much over minimum wage but i've held my season ticket for about two decades and have probably missed about 3 away matches in the last 5 years. I'm not wanting to sound a twat but its because I budget for the football. I start saving for my season ticket at Xmas, put £50 a month away for it. If we've got an expensive away game such as Aberdeen or Rangers away i'll stay in that whole week. It was the same as I was a bairn, every year for about 10 years my birthday present was a season ticket, if I wanted to go to St Johnstone away I'd have the choice of the £40 trainers and no footy or the £30 trainers and goto the match.

Football is expensive, thats granted. But I think alot of people just use it as an excuse not to go, because if they really did want a season ticket or goto an away game, they would. Going to the footy isn't a god given right, you do actually need to put a bit effort into it and sacrifice a few things. All IMO of course. Again, the above isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Some fair points, and good on you for your support of the Hibs. However I think the issue for some people is not a matter of denying themselves trainers to pay for the football, but denying their families. I am afraid that under those circumstances my respect would be to their choice in putting family first.
There were a few empty seats around me usually occupied by guys who have boys playing on Sunday morning. Again, they chose to put family first.

Phil MaGlass
31-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Fitba is too expensive,especially if you have kids and a Cat A game, yesterdays atmosphere seemed pi5h and I would blame that on a sunday 12.30 k.o, didnt help,plus the fact alot of parents will not bring their kids to see the gruesome twosome due to the chance of trouble. 27 quid for a Cat A game when its on the telly :wtf:.You could have had an extra couple of thousand in by handing out tickets to families from deprived areas or hand them out at schools near ER,fill the ground and the atmosphere will return, speculate to accumulate anawrat like.

I would just like to add, do we really need to spend millions on a super duper new stand if we cannae even fill the ground for games against the OF.

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I would just like to add, do we really need to spend millions on a super duper new stand if we cannae even fill the ground for games against the OF.

At the end of the day, yes we do. The East Stand is really long since past it's sell by date.

Anyway, people don't go to OF games purely for the dislike (bordering on hatred) of the OF and it's "fans".

Gus Fring
31-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Ive got a category B ST and when weighing up my options for a season ticket back in april i decided to get Cat b and pay myself into the games that weren't on telly. Thus saving me money in the long run as I'm tight on funds just now. Im not proud of it cos i would love to be there for every game. But when the option is presented then people will take it.

Broken Gnome
31-08-2009, 11:06 AM
At the end of the day, yes we do. The East Stand is really long since past it's sell by date.

Anyway, people don't go to OF games purely for the dislike (bordering on hatred) of the OF and it's "fans".

The vast majority of the OF games these days are like Sundays. Tame. I can think of one (the last game against Rangers last season) that's been particularly poisonous, the rest are absolutely no worse than what you'd get at a Hibs-Hearts game.

down-the-slope
31-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Thought the atmosphere was dire yesterday aswell. East is rapidly going downhill for a sing song as the seasons go by...

The crowd was pish IMO. 14221 was the crowd, take away 3700 travelling supporters and that leaves you with just 10500 Hibs fans. To me that is pisspoor when you consider we've just came of the back of two wins, signed a few new players, have a new gaffer in charge etc and that was our first 'big game' of the season.

I know the £27 is expensive, but OF games always have been compared to the non-OF affairs.

I'm sure I am not alone in often not taking my girls to OF & Hearts games due to the Bile often on display (from Hibbies I might add) even although they have season books. There were a lot of gaps if FF lower where you have to have kids to have an adult season ticket..this added to 'walk'up cost & TV / early start = poor crowd. I thought it was a cracking game in many ways and yet it is noisier in Church on a Sunday morning than that was :rolleyes:

PS - Sundays are NOT for watching Football for me and never will be as a matter of choice....I was there yesterday..but if we end up with another season where games at ER 3pm on a Saturday are rare (ESPN) then I will not get one next year

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 11:14 AM
The vast majority of the OF games these days are like Sundays. Tame. I can think of one (the last game against Rangers last season) that's been particularly poisonous, the rest are absolutely no worse than what you'd get at a Hibs-Hearts game.

That may be the case, maybe it's because people are staying away. I only decided to go at the last minute.

Give me a match vs Aberdeen, United, Hearts any day over one against the OF.

Much more entertaining usually, and without being given a particularly one-sided version of Irish politics (again, which side you hear depends on which half of Rantic is in town).

basehibby
31-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm not an ST holder this seaon and I didn't go for a number of reasons as follows:

The bloody ridiculous 12:30pm on a Sunday KO time
The hefty price for a ticket
The fact it was my mate's birthday so I watched it at his hoose.
I would say that if you put the 12:30 Sunday KO and £27 ticket price together with the fact it's there on the telly for all to see then you have an enormous disincentive for any non-ST holder thinking of attending.

If I'd gone along to the game I would have forked out about £50 if you factor in pie, program and imbibments in the pub. Watching it at my mate's house I spent next to nothing and even won a few quid at poker later on. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
31-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Empty seats / poor atmosphere / nae singing .. and yet most on here want to spend £££s on a new East Stand ..

DaveF
31-08-2009, 11:21 AM
What the hell do people expect, when it's a 12.30 KO on a Sunday and it's live on telly?

I wouldn't blame anyone for not going to the game yesterday when it's played at these stupid, stupid times. Costs, long standing family commitments on Sundays or whatever - All played their part in a poor gate.

Sunday matches annoy the hell out of me - Get the fitba back to being on a saturday.

IWasThere2016
31-08-2009, 11:26 AM
What the hell do people expect, when it's a 12.30 KO on a Sunday and it's live on telly?

I wouldn't blame anyone for not going to the game yesterday when it's played at these stupid, stupid times. Costs, long standing family commitments on Sundays or whatever - All played their part in a poor gate.

Sunday matches annoy the hell out of me - Get the fitba back to being on a saturday.

:agree:

HFC 0-7
31-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I find it strange that people are saying they never went because of their hatred towards the old firm! Is this not more of a reason to go and see them play! Hatred towards opposition fans and teams is what makes a good atmosphere. I do appreciate that people have family commitments on Sundays, and this can be a factor for the poor crowd, however, the people that were there did not create a good atmosphere, the celtic fans could be heard for most of the match well above that of Hibs, so peoples excuses of its a Sunday, too early, too expensive resulting in empty seats cant hide the fact that the atmosphere was rubbish from the hibs fans. Bearing in mind in recent threads there has been much talk of us having a lot to shout about and look forward too! - For all the people that said that they have kids that play sunday morning football - point taken, my kids are too young to play football yet and no doubt when they do start playing I will put family first.

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I find it strange that people are saying they never went because of their hatred towards the old firm! Is this not more of a reason to go and see them play! Hatred towards opposition fans and teams is what makes a good atmosphere.

I think most people's hatred toward the OF is different.

We love to hate Hearts, it makes derby day special, whereas I just hate the OF. Pure and simple. The sooner they leave the SPL the better.

And, by the way, I did go yesterday. East Stand. Row L.

HFC 0-7
31-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I think most people's hatred toward the OF is different.

We love to hate Hearts, it makes derby day special, whereas I just hate the OF. Pure and simple. The sooner they leave the SPL the better.

And, by the way, I did go yesterday. East Stand. Row L.

Well I dont get the difference in hatred being a factor for not going to games. If I hated a team that much I would love to go and see their faces on the chance we could get a win against them! But thats just me.

Even although we never won, it was worth going for the performance and seeing McGeady get sent off for diving, something that in recent years refs wouldnt dream of doing. Could refs finally be standing up to them!?!?

And by the way, I never asked if you were at the game or not, you seem a bit defensive there! :wink:

bobbyhibs1983
31-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Alot of fgood valid points form you all.I think it is safe to say that.
1,pay at the gate prices are very very exspensive.No gettign away from it and well i agree, I dont think people can really argue with it, espcalliy if you have a fmaily with 2-3kids and it does add up.

2.the kick off times,Alot of people have said that the times dont suite them and well you can understand, if you are mom/dad and your kid is playing on sunday at a football tourament or has something non footie related, it starts at 11am and dont finish til 1pm, what are you gonna do. stay with your kid or got to a football match?

I do wonder do hibs and other teams consider this?

Im not sure why but what is the issue a football game on tv at 3pm?

I mean if hibs were playing say aberdeen at 3pm saturday its on tv and prices are say £3 for a kid and £6 for an adult, do you think people would
A.watch it on tv?
B go to the game?

Im unsure

PotsyHibee
31-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Personally find that the atmosphere at Easter Road has deteriorated over last few years..the guff on display last year certainly didn't help. Hopefully when we get back to watching good football week in week out and winning the atmosphere will gradually return.

I'm a walk up and pay at the gate fan just now and find if I sit anywhere but the East stand if you try and get a sing song going all you get back is funny looks :bitchy:

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Personally find that the atmosphere at Easter Road has deteriorated over last few years..the guff on display last year certainly didn't help. Hopefully when we get back to watching good football week in week out and winning the atmosphere will gradually return.

I'm a walk up and pay at the gate fan just now and find if I sit anywhere but the East stand if you try and get a sing song going all you get back is funny looks :bitchy:

There's a lesson in there.

Never sit (stand, surely?) anywhere else.

It's where the real fans live :wink:

Keith_M
31-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I think the myth about the East Stand atmosphere has finally been blown out of the water. Yes, there was more noise out of that part of the ground than the other two sides, but that's not exactly difficult. Compared to the away end, though, it was quite pitiful.

I hope that when the new East is built, all the people that promised to switch their STs back to there really do so, and start creating a bit atmosphere again.

Sean1875
31-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Well said that man :top marks

hibbymark
31-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I sat in the east for over 20yrs and was always under the impression the atmosphere was good,however having moved over to the west last season i can honestly say the noise{or lack off} coming out the east sounds like 50 men singing in a rabbit hutch and if you didnt know the songs you wouldnt have a clue what was being sung. the west is full of families and creates no atmosphere but i dont miss these pillars!

dangermouse
31-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Alot of fgood valid points form you all.I think it is safe to say that.
1,pay at the gate prices are very very exspensive.No gettign away from it and well i agree, I dont think people can really argue with it, espcalliy if you have a fmaily with 2-3kids and it does add up.

2.the kick off times,Alot of people have said that the times dont suite them and well you can understand, if you are mom/dad and your kid is playing on sunday at a football tourament or has something non footie related, it starts at 11am and dont finish til 1pm, what are you gonna do. stay with your kid or got to a football match?

I do wonder do hibs and other teams consider this?

Im not sure why but what is the issue a football game on tv at 3pm?

I mean if hibs were playing say aberdeen at 3pm saturday its on tv and prices are say £3 for a kid and £6 for an adult, do you think people would
A.watch it on tv?
B go to the game?

Im unsure

Spot on. I tried to get my son's match changed to a 10:00 kick off but to no avail. Had to end up watching most of it on TV and rather irked when I spotted our empty seats. Doubt this will be the last game I miss for the same reason this season and I'm peed off with the whole 12:30 Sunday kick off nonsense. 2PM was better but then that mucks it up for people who's Sunday league game kicks off then as well.

When Setanta went to the wall, I was of the opinion that all matches should revert to 3PM on Saturday and NO live football on TV just highlights in the evening like the good old days. :grr:

PotsyHibee
31-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Ha ha know what you mean. Bit harsh saying if you don't sit in the East your not a real fan but its definitely were the animated and vocal part of our support live.

I usually sit in East but occasionally sit in Famous Five and I put the lack of atmosphere down to the fact a large number of the fans in there are either family's or slightly older fans who don't want to stand for 90 minutes. I know some who just find the atmosphere in the East a bit intimidating :agree:

ancient hibee
31-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Spot on. I tried to get my son's match changed to a 10:00 kick off but to no avail. Had to end up watching most of it on TV and rather irked when I spotted our empty seats. Doubt this will be the last game I miss for the same reason this season and I'm peed off with the whole 12:30 Sunday kick off nonsense. 2PM was better but then that mucks it up for people who's Sunday league game kicks off then as well.

When Setanta went to the wall, I was of the opinion that all matches should revert to 3PM on Saturday and NO live football on TV just highlights in the evening like the good old days. :grr:
No live football means no quality players.

The_Todd
31-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Ha ha know what you mean. Bit harsh saying if you don't sit in the East your not a real fan but its definitely were the animated and vocal part of our support live.

I usually sit in East but occasionally sit in Famous Five and I put the lack of atmosphere down to the fact a large number of the fans in there are either family's or slightly older fans who don't want to stand for 90 minutes. I know some who just find the atmosphere in the East a bit intimidating :agree:

The wink was meant to show it was tongue in cheek - even if it is where I do spend matchdays myself :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Agree with the atmosphere point, there seems to be hardly any vocal support from the bottom tiers at the far side or behind the goals these days, I raised this point last season that there seems to be far too many supporters sitting with their arms folded during the match in these sections, when the old North stand was up there was a real atmosphere around the ground which sadly seems to have gone now, even the homos are far more animated than us in the lower sections of their ground, sad days

matty_f
31-08-2009, 04:17 PM
No live football means no quality players.

:agree: And there's the rub.

Not often I agree with Antifa Hibs, but he's made some good points on this thread, and I commend his dedication.:top marks

I got a ST in the West this season, and I'll be honest - you hardly hear a thing from the East, and there's virtually no singing at all in the West. The only time the atmosphere picked up yesterday was after the red card.

For the argument about getting a new stand - if the East was a better stand, without the bloody pillars, I'd be over there in a shot, as I'm sure many others would be. The away end is a good demonstration of how good the atmosphere in these stands can be.

We all have a part to play in the atmosphere at ER. We can't just sit back and wait for someone else to entertain us.

Easter Road is (for the most) a cracking stadium and it's deserving of much better atmospheres than are being served up at the moment.

Fair enough the game was on a Sunday, but as pointed out we've got a new, exciting manager, we're playing pretty good football, have signed some cracking players, the board HAVE shown ambition... I'm struggling to see what else the club can do now to get folk back in to the ground.

People talk about ticket prices, but again the club have done probably as much as they can without impacting on the playing budget to get prices as close to affordable as possible.

Not an uber-fan post, btw - I've missed plenty games in the past, as I'm sure I will in the future.

Joe Baker II
31-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I have stopped my ST this season after 16 years mainly due to the number of absurd kick off times club have agreed to with no corresponding price reduction and resultant smaller crowd/reduced atmosphere/less need to buy ST to see bigger games - and I decided that before Setanta collapsed btw. Still going to all games that start at decent time, i.e. no earlier than 2pm.

Argument about so-called OF bigoted fans impacting attendance some have highlighted above is nonsensical btw - there have been plenty of sell outs v OF when game played at sensible kick off time. The poor attendance yesterday was due to the kick off time, and to a lesser extent live TV coverage and failure to reduce prices accordingly. Petrie apologists may argue overall income was not affected for a one-off game but the return of negativity smaller crowds generates will be costly in the longer term.

For reasons above did not go yesterday but atmosphere on radio sounded ok, though radio commentators highlighted the large numbers of empty seats in Hibs areas of ground.

Antifa Hibs
31-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I have stopped my ST this season after 16 years mainly due to the number of absurd kick off times club have agreed to with no corresponding price reduction and resultant smaller crowd/reduced atmosphere/less need to buy ST to see bigger games - and I decided that before Setanta collapsed btw. Still going to all games that start at decent time, i.e. no earlier than 2pm.

Argument about so-called OF bigoted fans impacting attendance some have highlighted above is nonsensical btw - there have been plenty of sell outs v OF when game played at sensible kick off time. The poor attendance yesterday was due to the kick off time, and to a lesser extent live TV coverage and failure to reduce prices accordingly. Petrie apologists may argue overall income was not affected for a one-off game but the return of negativity smaller crowds generates will be costly in the longer term.

For reasons above did not go yesterday but atmosphere on radio sounded ok, though radio commentators highlighted the large numbers of empty seats in Hibs areas of ground.

I'm not convinced wit that arguement TBH. How much is the TV deal worth to Hibs this season, roughly?

Say we sold another 2500 tickets yesterday at £20 a pop on average (taking conessions, oaps, students etc) that would be £50,000. Now times that by four for that Celtic game and the remaining 3 OF home games that only gives you £200k. I THINK the TV money is worth ALOT more than that, although I could be wrong.

I hate the non-3PM, but guess you've just got to accept it and get on with it. An early kickoff would never stop me attending a match unless it was physically impossible to get near it.

NAE NOOKIE
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Ive got a category B ST and when weighing up my options for a season ticket back in april i decided to get Cat b and pay myself into the games that weren't on telly. Thus saving me money in the long run as I'm tight on funds just now. Im not proud of it cos i would love to be there for every game. But when the option is presented then people will take it.

If a fan is strapped for cash but still goes when he / she can, that makes them every bit as good a supporter as people with cash to spare who can make every game. And a hell of a lot better than folk with cash who just canny be arsed.

As for the poor Hibs support on Sunday, you cant ignore the impact TV has on these things.

But the biggest problem is the Sunday 12.30 KO time. You cant go to the pub pre match, and lets face it a few pints brings out the uber fan in some folk, adding to the poor atmosphere. Even buses can be a problem on Sunday. If the only bus gets you to Edinburgh two hours before the match, who wants to hang around for ages with no pub to go to ?

But the biggest problem at ER regarding atmospher is the East Stand. As a few ex East Standites sitting in other parts of the ground have said, next to no noise gets to the rest of the ground from there, though the noise can be great if you are actually in the East.

There was approx 3000 Hibbies at Bolton and the noise they made was brilliant. I would bet that most of them were at ER on Sunday, so it aint the fans IMO its the ground.

Apart from the fact that it is a tip and has to go, we need a new East stand to hopefully re generate the atmosphere in ER.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Here are the reasons I didn't go on Sunday:

1) The price. This, above all else, is what puts me off. £27 is outrageously expensive for an SPL game and simply unjustifiable.

2) The kick-off time. I've never liked Sunday games, and when it's that early you can't get a pint before the game. Knocking back a couple of cans in the house beforehand is a sorry substitute.

3) Despite the fact we generally give both halves of the OF a good game at ER, the most likely result is that we'll get beat.

4) It's on TV. A vast number of fans these days simply can't be bothered getting to ER for midday on a Sunday when it's so much easier and cheaper to just watch it closer to home.

IMHO prices should be reduced for TV games to similar levels that are charged for the early rounds of the CIS Cup.

HFC 0-7
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
If a fan is strapped for cash but still goes when he / she can, that makes them every bit as good a supporter as people with cash to spare who can make every game. And a hell of a lot better than folk with cash who just canny be arsed.

As for the poor Hibs support on Sunday, you cant ignore the impact TV has on these things.

But the biggest problem is the Sunday 12.30 KO time. You cant go to the pub pre match, and lets face it a few pints brings out the uber fan in some folk, adding to the poor atmosphere. Even buses can be a problem on Sunday. If the only bus gets you to Edinburgh two hours before the match, who wants to hang around for ages with no pub to go to ?

But the biggest problem at ER regarding atmospher is the East Stand. As a few ex East Standites sitting in other parts of the ground have said, next to no noise gets to the rest of the ground from there, though the noise can be great if you are actually in the East.

There was approx 3000 Hibbies at Bolton and the noise they made was brilliant. I would bet that most of them were at ER on Sunday, so it aint the fans IMO its the ground.

Apart from the fact that it is a tip and has to go, we need a new East stand to hopefully re generate the atmosphere in ER.

Sorry but have to disagree with you there that its the grounds fault, fair enough it might not bring out the best of the noise in the east stand but as other people have said in ths thread, there is little or no singing from the west and north. This isnt the stadiums fault, its the fans! I know that the noise from the north and west would be less than the east because of the familes etc but there is next to no noise coming from these stands. I cant remember anyone near me singing along with the east, I started a couple of times but you feel like a right plum when you turn around and no one is singing with you, just looking!

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Here are the reasons I didn't go on Sunday:

1) The price. This, above all else, is what puts me off. £27 is outrageously expensive for an SPL game and simply unjustifiable.

2) The kick-off time. I've never liked Sunday games, and when it's that early you can't get a pint before the game. Knocking back a couple of cans in the house beforehand is a sorry substitute.

3) Despite the fact we generally give both halves of the OF a good game at ER, the most likely result is that we'll get beat.

4) It's on TV. A vast number of fans these days simply can't be bothered getting to ER for midday on a Sunday when it's so much easier and cheaper to just watch it closer to home.

IMHO prices should be reduced for TV games to similar levels that are charged for the early rounds of the CIS Cup.

That's what should happen I agree but the club will say it's unfair on season ticket holders as they wouldn't get the benefit of the reduction. I reckon an easy way around that would be for the club to issue each season ticket holder attending such games a £5 voucher for the club shop. Chances are a good few would pop in to spend it and a high percentage would spend a lot more than the fiver! Of course it would only be valid for televised league matches :wink:

sahib
02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Fitba is too expensive,especially if you have kids and a Cat A game, yesterdays atmosphere seemed pi5h and I would blame that on a sunday 12.30 k.o, didnt help,plus the fact alot of parents will not bring their kids to see the gruesome twosome due to the chance of trouble. 27 quid for a Cat A game when its on the telly :wtf:.You could have had an extra couple of thousand in by handing out tickets to families from deprived areas or hand them out at schools near ER,fill the ground and the atmosphere will return, speculate to accumulate anawrat like.

Leave the cat at home then.

jabis
02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
:faf:

:fishin:

didn't read the last few posts........BUT......

:lolyam::lolyam: