PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and Yogi's passing game

lucky
30-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Since Yogi has come in there has been much talk of Hibs returning to a passing game. However I cant see much evidence of it in the 3 league games and 2 preseason friendlies I have attended. Even today we only looked effective when Nish came on and started hitting long balls.

If Mixup was still here we would have been slaughtering him for his style of ugly football.

I know it might take time to get us knocking it about and play the ball on the ground but so far its not happening.

Discuss!

Pedantic_Hibee
30-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Thought we mixed it about quite well today to be honest.

Also, we would probably have dropped a few points in our first two league games under Mixu as well as playing honking football.

6 points out of 9, I'm happy :greengrin

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 08:42 PM
We're only 3 games into the season and Yogi is at pains to say that the changes he wants to make will take time so have some patience.

Our shape and passing is already much better than it was last year. Lets compare in 6 months.

greenlex
30-08-2009, 08:54 PM
You obviously didn't go much last season if you think that was a long ball performance today.

Hibs Soldier
30-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Since Yogi has come in there has been much talk of Hibs returning to a passing game. However I cant see much evidence of it in the 3 league games and 2 preseason friendlies I have attended. Even today we only looked effective when Nish came on and started hitting long balls.

If Mixup was still here we would have been slaughtering him for his style of ugly football.

I know it might take time to get us knocking it about and play the ball on the ground but so far its not happening.

Discuss!

Did Yogi no put on Nish on about 70-75th minute?

I think we needed to go more direct although other subs he made were the wrong ones imo.

Greenway
30-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Discuss!

It would seem to me that Yogi has a desire to play the passing game and the team does seem to be trying to play that way. That doesn't mean that this will be our only option and that every long ball should be treated as some sort of betrayal.

It's also astonishing that you feel this way after so few games, especially after the progress made already. Yogi has already stated that it will take some time to get it right and this seems obvious given the task required.

Perhaps you might want to consider giving the team a little more of your indulgence before delivering your final verdict. :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-08-2009, 09:10 PM
If we compare today with the 0-0 game with Celtic at the end of last season, it was night and day, even if today's result was worse.

We may not have scored in either game but in the last match, it was a backs to the wall job for practically the entire 90 minutes.

Today, we posed much more of an attacking threat and really could have come out with a draw, at the very least.

We still have a long way to go but we are already much better to watch than we were last season.

matty_f
30-08-2009, 09:40 PM
We're only 3 games into the season and Yogi is at pains to say that the changes he wants to make will take time so have some patience.

Our shape and passing is already much better than it was last year. Lets compare in 6 months.

He has made outstanding changes already, far bigger improvement than I expected in such a short time.

It would seem to me that Yogi has a desire to play the passing game and the team does seem to be trying to play that way. That doesn't mean that this will be our only option and that every long ball should be treated as some sort of betrayal.

It's also astonishing that you feel this way after so few games, especially after the progress made already. Yogi has already stated that it will take some time to get it right and this seems obvious given the task required.

Perhaps you might want to consider giving the team a little more of your indulgence before delivering your final verdict. :wink:

If we compare today with the 0-0 game with Celtic at the end of last season, it was night and day, even if today's result was worse.

We may not have scored in either game but in the last match, it was a backs to the wall job for practically the entire 90 minutes.

Today, we posed much more of an attacking threat and really could have come out with a draw, at the very least.

We still have a long way to go but we are already much better to watch than we were last season.

Agree with all of that. We are much better than last season already, and Yogi has said it will take time to get us playing how he wants us to.

If anything, I was really encouraged by the performance today.

sleeping giant
30-08-2009, 09:50 PM
We are quite impressive pinging the ball about in wee triangles in tight situations IMO. Saying that , that was my first match this season.

Shrekko
30-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Personally I enjoyed the game today and I'm pretty stunned at a lot of the negativity I'm reading tonight. Hibs looked like a football team again and it's pretty obvious that the best is yet to come. To expect us to be playing free flowing football with a cutting edge after 4 games after the shambolic way we performed last season is ridiculous.

A fit Zemmama, Ian Murray, young players breaking through and possibly another signing or 2 to come in- the future looks good with a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players. Compared to other clubs we've got very little to complain about. Maybe if the fans started really getting behind the team on matchday that would make a difference as well?

matty_f
30-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Personally I enjoyed the game today and I'm pretty stunned at a lot of the negativity I'm reading tonight. Hibs looked like a football team again and it's pretty obvious that the best is yet to come. To expect us to be playing free flowing football with a cutting edge after 4 games after the shambolic way we performed last season is ridiculous.

A fit Zemmama, Ian Murray, young players breaking through and possibly another signing or 2 to come in- the future looks good with a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players. Compared to other clubs we've got very little to complain about. Maybe if the fans started really getting behind the team on matchday that would make a difference as well?

:top marks

Sir David Gray
30-08-2009, 10:03 PM

:agree: You're not the only one.

As I said on another thread tonight, I applauded the players off the park at full time and I can't remember the last time I did that, after a defeat.

We deserved something from the game today. On another day, we could have had four or five goals without any exaggeration.

The amount of negativity flying around tonight actually astounds me.

silverhibee
30-08-2009, 10:15 PM
:agree: You're not the only one.

As I said on another thread tonight, I applauded the players off the park at full time and I can't remember the last time I did that, after a defeat.

We deserved something from the game today. On another day, we could have had four or five goals without any exaggeration.

The amount of negativity flying around tonight actually astounds me.

Totally agree with all of that FH.:top marks

Hibercelona
30-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Celtic scored 1 goal today.

We were extremely unlucky not to grab at least 1.

Thats how I look at it.

The Beastie Bus
30-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Well said that man, spot on.

500miles
30-08-2009, 10:23 PM
This is the season for getting the youngsters involved. As well as Wotherspoon, Welsh,Byrne, Booth and Moyes should be making the step up this season. I would like to see a team like this regularly play together.......

.......................Stack/Maka
.McCann......Moyes..........Bamba.....Booth
.Wotherspoon.Cregg......Welsh..Galbraith
...................Stokes...Byrne

Of course, I don't mean that this should be the first choice starting XI. However, if this team ever did have to turn out, we could be confident in getting the right result against mid-table opposition.

lucky
30-08-2009, 11:54 PM

Never said I was unhappy but was making the point that we are as of yet not playing silky football and was pointing out that Mixup would have been given a hard time on here over the style of football so far. I can see progress but lets not be kidded we beat 10 man St. Mirren beat Falkirk after a very poor first half and lost to 10 man Celtic

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2009, 11:57 PM

What he said, to a word. The expansive game is the Hibernian way. If I want to watch Steven Pressley shaving his armpits I would buy a season ticket for the PBS.

RIP
31-08-2009, 08:29 AM
It's it not time to blow out of the water once and for all this myth that Mixu wanted Hibs to play hoofball.

The reverse is true. Mixu wanted the team to pass the ball but never managed to recruit a midfield capable of doing so. Jones and Hogg, frustrated at our invisible midfield felt they had to go long most of the time.

Yogi recruited two guys from his old club to play the passing game in midfield. He also got Zemmama and back - both good passers. He's set up our full backs to attack, thus changing the shape of the team to play it out from our half.

If Jones and Hogg were still paired together we may not have shipped the goal we lost on Saturday. But with Jones still around we may have seen more punts up the park.

When defenders are under pressure and can't see movement ahead they resort to the long ball. The manager needs to coach the midfield and the forwards to present the defence with options.