PDA

View Full Version : Yogi being too clever ??

Sammy7nil
30-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Does anyone else agree bringing on Curtis first and leaving Nish and Benji on the bench was a mistake ?

Yogi reading his own press giving youngsters a chance etc etc

We needed a goal and Benji was the best option imho with Nish being next best option. Yet we get a youngster who has had next no time 1st team experience playing against possibly the best team in Scotland

We ended up with too many up front and not enough in midfield and not taking advantage of our extra man.

We could not get the ball in the last 30 mins never mind get the ball to Zemmama or Deeks

Think Yogi tried and failed to be too clever imho

cocopops1875
30-08-2009, 07:37 PM
not sure it was the right sub, but nothing to do with believing his own press:confused:

Sammy7nil
30-08-2009, 07:39 PM
not sure it was the right sub, but nothing to do with believing his own press:confused:

Okay maybe a bit harsh but I can think of no other reason for Curtis coming on 1st at the expense of 2 proven SPL goalscorers

Jamie
30-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Benji would have been a better option :thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
30-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Does anyone else agree bringing on Curtis first and leaving Nish and Benji on the bench was a mistake ?

We needed a goal and Benji was the best option imho with Nish being next best option. Yet we get a youngster who has had next no time 1st team experience playing against possibly the best team in Scotland

We ended up with too many up front and not enough in midfield and not taking advantage of our extra man.

We could not get the ball in the last 30 mins never mind get the ball to Zemmama or Deeks

You are the first person I have seen who has posted what everybody has been thinking.. Nish should've been on and if not him then Benji....

When Celtic were down to 10 , the midfield should've been flooded to make our extra man count...

Zemmama had no influence when he came on because we were left short in that area.....

truehibernian
30-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Mixu wouldn't have used any mind.........I think in all four competitive games his substitutions have been positive and attacking. Bear in mind it is a title chasing Celtic who were down to 10 men and not a poorer relegation avoiding St Mirren. Celtic were always still going to have class players on the pitch and have the occasional attacks. I thought Yogi showed that he is willing to go for it and possibly lose 2-0 in the hope that we get a 1-1 (if that makes sense)

forthhibby
30-08-2009, 07:49 PM
wasn't too impressed with yogi's subs today tbh, think he made too many of them too quickly, we lost an attacking option putting wotherspoon back to full back

Part/Time Supporter
30-08-2009, 08:05 PM
wasn't too impressed with yogi's subs today tbh, think he made too many of them too quickly, we lost an attacking option putting wotherspoon back to full back

Totally disagree. He was getting forward from right back and put over dangerous crosses that the strikers should have got their head on. This added another attacking option instead of McCormack.

Mibbies Benji instead of Byrne, but I think that is splitting hairs really.

stubru59
30-08-2009, 08:09 PM
The subs made no difference to the outcome of the game. Unless we were going to put on someone who could make a pass we were up against it.

The one player who could have changed the game, was in fact brought on as a sub and failed to have any impact at all.

We lost today due to poor overall play and an inability to take advantage of the extra man.

We might have snatched a draw, but that would have been no more than we deserved against an ordinary looking Celtic side.

King Paddy
30-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree Bengi may have been a better option, but Bryne needed some game time and it's good experience for the boy.

Hibs Soldier
30-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Yes.

Sammy7nil
30-08-2009, 09:06 PM
dunno, what's your information on fitness levels and injury niggles?

Just that there may be more thought going into the substitutions than Yogi is getting credit for.

If they have no chance of playing why are they on the bench ?

Benji has looked sharp and Nish is a proven SPL goalscorer NO One knew how Curtis would play due to his inexperience and as I said before this game will have done nothing for his confidence.

Dan Sarf
30-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, I think Yogi got his substitutions completely wrong. But I applaud him for trying something adventurous even though it didn't come off.

southfieldshibby
30-08-2009, 09:23 PM
As Byrne is not known to the celtic players, maybe he was hoping that their lack of knowledge about his play would unsettle them.

Doesn't really matter. When keepers pull out a wonders save like Boruc did, then the writting was on the wall.

I was at the game last week and i thought we were much better today.

Jack
30-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe he thought the youngsters would link up well. The ones that were already on were doing the business.

Franck is God
30-08-2009, 09:59 PM
he brought Zemmama on first for McCormack so Wotherspoon could attack from right back like he did against St Mirren and to be fair thats exactly what happened. The disapointment was that Zemmama just wasn't fit enough to have an impact.

The reason he then brought on Byrne first was that he wanted to stretch the Celtic defence. Byrne played on the right hand side of a front three with Stokes and Riordan. Last season Byrne played a lot on the right hand side for the under 19's so Yogi proably had that in mind.

The only difference between the sides today was an outstanding performance from Boruc, I suppose he was due a good game at ER. He's gven us enough goals in his last few appearances....

matty_f
30-08-2009, 10:12 PM
he brought Zemmama on first for McCormack so Wotherspoon could attack from right back like he did against St Mirren and to be fair thats exactly what happened. The disapointment was that Zemmama just wasn't fit enough to have an impact.

The reason he then brought on Byrne first was that he wanted to stretch the Celtic defence. Byrne played on the right hand side of a front three with Stokes and Riordan. Last season Byrne played a lot on the right hand side for the under 19's so Yogi proably had that in mind.

The only difference between the sides today was an outstanding performance from Boruc, I suppose he was due a good game at ER. He's gven us enough goals in his last few appearances....

:agree: Exactly the point I was about to make. Byrne can put in a shift on the right of the forwards. He didn't have the best of games today, but he's more than capable of having an impact so I can understand Yogi throwing him on.

andrew_dundee
31-08-2009, 12:06 AM
but am i not right in thinking that Nish was unfit (i think i read it here) and Bengi is still not quite ready?

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Give him a break.

It took Mowbray a few games to change things and it came together when we drew 4-4 with Dundee when Jim Duffy said it was like watching Real Madrid. Even allowing for the fact that Real Madrid in their most wildernest years might have struggled to surrender a 4-1 home lead against Duffy's Dundee, that was a big moment. We saw the big signs of what was to come, the back-to-back 3-0 Hun drubbings, the passing Celtic off the park, home and away.

Think about how were a year ago, coming off an "exciting" preseason and looking forward to dull wars of attrition that passed for football.

Iain G
31-08-2009, 07:23 AM
No point on brining Byrne or Benji or Nish on when we don't get the ball to them, Yogi got it wrong IMHO, we should have kept the midfield 4 and passed it and tried to stretch Celtic, instead we had 3 up front + Zemmama leaving McBride and Rankin trying to run the midfield and get ammo to the front 3 or 4 and it didn't work because we couldn't keep the ball.

If ever we needed Boozy in the team it was on a day like today, keep it simple, keep the ball and pass it and make the 10 men work for it.

We played into Celtics hands as we resorted to pumping high balls on top of Caldwell and Loovens...:grr:

Tollhouse Hibee
31-08-2009, 09:14 AM
No point on brining Byrne or Benji or Nish on when we don't get the ball to them, Yogi got it wrong IMHO, we should have kept the midfield 4 and passed it and tried to stretch Celtic, instead we had 3 up front + Zemmama leaving McBride and Rankin trying to run the midfield and get ammo to the front 3 or 4 and it didn't work because we couldn't keep the ball.

If ever we needed Boozy in the team it was on a day like today, keep it simple, keep the ball and pass it and make the 10 men work for it.

We played into Celtics hands as we resorted to pumping high balls on top of Caldwell and Loovens...:grr:

i agree fully - but hats off to Yogi, he really went for it, and on another day we could have scored 3 or 4. At least one positive is we have unearthed a real star in Wotherspoon. MOM by a mile