PDA

View Full Version : We missed Colin Nish

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 05:12 PM
We had no presence up front at all today.

Celtc's defenders won't have an easier 75 minutes all season.

Discuss.

magnificent_seven
30-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree, we were trying too many long balls and they were going nowhere. Loovens and Caldwell were just sweeping them up at the back. When Nish came on he made a difference, Stokes should have been hooked just after half time IMO.

He doesn't get as much credit as he deserves, Nish. I hope he doesn't leave before the end of the window, he offers a different option when he plays.

lyonhibs
30-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Discuss.

What is there to discuss?? It's not as if - despite him being 6' 4", Nish himself has any presence. Wins (or at least wins to any benefit of Hibs) hardly anything in the air, I can't work out if he's left or right footed, spends 80% of the time on his arse or huffing and puffing, hands on hips style.

If he wasn't a Hibby, he wouldn't get half the slack cut he gets on here.

Though I accept that he will somehow probably get about 10 goals this season, he is technically gash, and doesn't cause nearly as many aerial problems as he should.

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 05:25 PM
What is there to discuss?? It's not as if - despite him being 6' 4", Nish himself has any presence. Wins (or at least wins to any benefit of Hibs) hardly anything in the air, I can't work out if he's left or right footed, spends 80% of the time on his arse or huffing and puffing, hands on hips style.

If he wasn't a Hibby, he wouldn't get half the slack cut he gets on here.

Though I accept that he will somehow probably get about 10 goals this season, he is technically gash, and doesn't cause nearly as many aerial problems as he should.

Were you at the game?

Did you see how ineffectual our forwards were?

Did you see the difference in the last 15 minutes after he came on?

That's what there is to discuss.

Obviously, you've made your mind up.

ancient hibee
30-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Laid on 2 chances in 5 minutes.

ahibby
30-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Okay as it is a discussion with hind sight it might have been better to play Nish from the start and use Stoke with twenty to go. However, I do think that when fit Stokes would be bette at holding the ball up than both Riordan and Nish.

500miles
30-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Indeed we did miss him. Without him, Celtic knew there was no long ball threat, so they clamped down on any attempts to pass the ball through the middle.

In the time he was on the pitch he got a good shot away, and knocked a good ball down for Bamba. Add to that the aeriel prescence he offeres when defending set pieces, and attacking set pieces, and the number of fouls he wins in dangerous areas, as well as his favourable assist record and reasonable strike rate, and he's a player you write off at your peril. His problem is, as Turnbull would say, is all his brains are in his heid, and his feet don't match up. However, he is effective. He may not hold up the ball as well as a 6'4'' stiker should, but he certainly does it better than either of Riordan or Stokes done today.

AllyF
30-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Were you at the game?

For the last 15 minutes the game was dead we made virtually no chances as Celtic hid the ball away in the corner. It was only in injury time when we got our act together and made a last ditch attempt to equalise. And you're right, in those final moments Nish did do well to knock the ball on for two good chances. BUT I don't think he would have made much difference to the game as a whole if he was on from the start.

lyonhibs
30-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Were you at the game?

Granted, I only saw the 2nd half on the telly, so I can't comment on the 1st half.

In 15 minutes I saw him put one over the bar, have the ball bounce off his 50p heid once and misdirected a chest lay-off (something he's generally pretty good at in fairness) away from the supporting midfielders.

I must confess I can't remember the 2 chances he laid on?? :confused:

ancient hibee
30-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Granted, I only saw the 2nd half on the telly, so I can't comment on the 1st half.

In 15 minutes I saw him put one over the bar, have the ball bounce off his 50p heid once and misdirected a chest lay-off (something he's generally pretty good at in fairness) away from the supporting midfielders.

I must confess I can't remember the 2 chances he laid on?? :confused:
One for Zemmamma-on his heels and one for Bamba-centre halve's shot.

Ray_
30-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Discuss.

We missed being able to pass the ball to each other, this was especially evident when the opposition were down to ten men.

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 05:36 PM

How can you possibly comment then? :confused:

As I said, you've made your mind up.

Ach well.

lyonhibs
30-08-2009, 05:49 PM
How can you possibly comment then? :confused:

As I said, you've made your mind up.

Ach well.

I wasn't aware you had to be a card-carrying Hibs ST holder in order to have an opinion?? :confused:

I've been to Hibs games regularly home and away over the past 20 years, particularly the past 5 or so.

Nish is a "willing tryer" and can have nuisance value, but I know a tall Hibs fan who would run into the ground for the cause, yet unsurprisingly he watches from the stands week in, week out.

I can't wait for him to prove me wrong and go on to be the rampaging fulcrum of our attack.

Hibby D
30-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Nish is not the answer if we want to keep with playing Yogi's passing game. It doesn't suit Nish's game. Hogg's long ball hoofs do but I'd don't want to see any more of that.

As for the last 15 minutes - well the smellies played most of that with their backs to the wall so it was no surprise that we had more chances - imo that was little to do with Nish's presence.

The_Todd
30-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think the Sellick defence had that much of an easy time. They looked decidedly creaky to me and it's all the more annoying that we didn't take advantage.

hibee_girl
30-08-2009, 05:52 PM
We did miss him today :agree:

Caldwell and Loovens had it easy in the air against Deek and Stokes, I think I could count on one hand the amount of times either of them actually challenged in the air

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I wasn't aware you had to be a card-carrying Hibs ST holder in order to have an opinion?? :confused:

I've been to Hibs games regularly home and away over the past 20 years, particularly the past 5 or so.

Nish is a "willing tryer" and can have nuisance value, but I know a tall Hibs fan who would run into the ground for the cause, yet unsurprisingly he watches from the stands week in, week out.

I can't wait for him to prove me wrong and go on to be the rampaging fulcrum of our attack.

Sorry LH, but it's got two thirds of flick all to do with having a season ticket.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion, and I'd respect yours, but how can you possibly comment on whether or not we missed Nish today when you didn't see the game? :confused:

That's not an opinion, it's a guess.

totalfootball
30-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Discuss.

That is utter nonsence! ok Stokes hardly got a kick but how many times did riordan and wotherspoon get the ball wide and beat their defenders. We were dangerous with Riordan and Wotherspoon cutting inside and creating space for our full backs to get forward (both of which were very good and they wont play against better wingers in the league). I would of liked to off seen Benji on instead of Byrne because he is good at holding the ball and spinning defenders. To be honest big Nish did well when he came on just a shame both the late chances fell to bamba.
Finally, why are there so many negative posts on here? The whole Hibs crowd gave the team a standing ovation at the end which was fully merited because we will play worse than that ans win! There is so much to be encouraged by lets not get on at boys who may not of had the best of games (hogg and stokes) We were brilliant for large spells of the game and I for one am extremely proud to be a HIBEE! We will defo finish 3rd or 4th if we play like that every week!
GGTTH

The_Todd
30-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Finally, why are there so many negative posts on here? The whole Hibs crowd gave the team a standing ovation at the end which was fully merited because we will play worse than that ans win!
GGTTH

Last week at Falkirk a case in point.

ancient hibee
30-08-2009, 06:12 PM
That is utter nonsence! ok Stokes hardly got a kick but how many times did riordan and wotherspoon get the ball wide and beat their defenders. We were dangerous with Riordan and Wotherspoon cutting inside and creating space for our full backs to get forward (both of which were very good and they wont play against better wingers in the league). I would of liked to off seen Benji on instead of Byrne because he is good at holding the ball and spinning defenders. To be honest big Nish did well when he came on just a shame both the late chances fell to bamba.
Finally, why are there so many negative posts on here? The whole Hibs crowd gave the team a standing ovation at the end which was fully merited because we will play worse than that ans win! There is so much to be encouraged by lets not get on at boys who may not of had the best of games (hogg and stokes) We were brilliant for large spells of the game and I for one am extremely proud to be a HIBEE! We will defo finish 3rd or 4th if we play like that every week!
GGTTH
You're quite right we gave Celtic a good game today and with a bit of luck(for example the chances falling to the wrong players)we would have taken more from the game.We have unearthed another gem(thank you Tommy Burns for the 4 years he had there)and there is much more to come from the team.

pedroorange1875
30-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Discuss.

Yes we certainly did miss the chance for him to sign for that Chinese team...pity:agree:

PISTOL1875
30-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Nish is pretty clumsy but today he should've started against Caldwell and Loovens,... They had a very easy game and Caldwell had so many free headers without any challenge.. God knows what Hughes was thinking bringing on Byrne and leaving Nish on the bench....

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Nish is pretty clumsy but today he should've started against Caldwell and Loovens,... They had a very easy game and Caldwell had so many free headers without any challenge.. God knows what Hughes was thinking bringing on Byrne and leaving Nish on the bench....

Nish is carrying an injury.

PISTOL1875
30-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Nish is carrying an injury.

Why did he get on the park then ???

HELMIE-HIBEE
30-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Big Nish is a good ,intelligent off the ball runner,as well as a big target man.He creates space for others and yet still manages a decent amount of goals per season. :agree:
Nish probably would have made Hogg look a bit better today as well, and might have won some of his mixuesque punts up the park.

davym7062
30-08-2009, 06:49 PM
why did he header it out from under the celtic bar:boo hoo:

i would have brought him on before byrne tho:agree:

bathhibby
30-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I got banned from Keecnack for similar views on Nade ?

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Why did he get on the park then ???

Because it's professional football.

Loads of players carry injuries and are played for as long as they, and their managers, think they can last.

For example, Zemamma wasn't fit, but he got a game.

Nish got on because he, and Yogi, thought he could manage 20 minutes.

Barney McGrew
30-08-2009, 07:28 PM
God knows what Hughes was thinking bringing on Byrne and leaving Nish on the bench....

:agree:

I think Yogi called that one wrong, not necessarily for bringing Byrne on instead of Nish, but for bringing Byrne on at all.

He looked woefully out of his depth

borstalboy
30-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Im not sure why you think Colin Nish would have improved our chances today.....to me, he is not effective in the slightest. i didnt think things changed drastically when he came on. As someone mentioned before, we got our finger out in injury time, and it wasn't because Colin Nish was playin.

Colin Nish should work on attributes which are in his favour (ie height) instead of thinking he is Michael Owen and trying to run in behind defences......

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Im not sure why you think Colin Nish would have improved our chances today.....

Try to be more objective next time you se him play then.

You'll see. :agree:

Edit: That didn't come across right. I remember arguing this same case for Mixu when he first came to Hibs. Yes, he was a better player then Nish, but the comparison is fair. Nish takes 2 defenders to control him so players like Stokes and Deek get more room. Stokes did nowt today.

lEXO
30-08-2009, 08:52 PM

But your tall Hibs fan mate has,nt been a professional football player for 10 years or so.Don,t get the slagging Nishy etc, so if this is your basis for slagging him, leave it out.Ps Stokes was blowing out of his arse after an hour and when he,s up to full match fitness i,m sure he(as well as nishy etc) will add good cover and competition uo front.It,s not a competition, it,s ateam game eh!

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 08:56 PM
But your tall Hibs fan mate has,nt been a professional football player for 10 years or so.Don,t get the slagging Nishy etc, so if this is your basis for slagging him, leave it out.Ps Stokes was blowing out of his arse after an hour and when he,s up to full match fitness i,m sure he(as well as nishy etc) will add good cover and competition uo front.It,s not a competition, it,s ateam game eh!

Pint of that please. :wink:

:greengrin

lEXO
30-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Pint of that please. :wink:

That will be £2.60 please.:wink:

andrew_dundee
31-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Nish looked good and came closer to scoring than Byrne and Stokes put together, this is not to say he's better than them but he is well suited to games like todays and could have been some use against the big men in the timms defence. he is not skilled, he is not technichally any good whatsoever but what he is good at is scoring goals at an SPL level and providing problems for defences that dont quite know what to do about him

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2009, 12:38 AM
...but we learn to punch straight.

It's all been discussed before. Just enjoy the man as a sort of football black hole in time and space where normal physical laws are suspended.

Beyond analysis. Beyond reason. Beyond instinct.

Nish.

bighairyfaeleith
31-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Nish shouldn't play full stop, he's pure nade

Phil MaGlass
31-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Ma mate Charlie made the point that we needed Nish or Benji on,think he was right on the money.
Cannae believe the grief Nish gets on here at times:grr:

Expecting Rain
31-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry if i`m about to upset the Nish fan club but he`d be nowhere near my first eleven but if he came back from the gym with more upper body strength which in turn would breed more confidence and result in him winning headers, holding the line, not falling on his arse every 5 minutes clutching his face and greeting to the refs that somebody had the audacity to challenge him i`d maybe change my mind.:greengrin

Riordans Boots
31-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Laid on 2 chances in 5 minutes.

:agree: And he was missed big time.

aljo7-0
31-08-2009, 11:37 AM
One point I would make about Nish is that when we are defending a corner or free kick near our box he has been winning more than his fair share of clearing headers this season. Yesterday in the first half we looked like we could lose a goal at almost every corner - perhaps if he had been on we might have looked at bit safer at these. Don't know - just a thought.

flash
31-08-2009, 11:45 AM
The constant abuse the big man gets on here is embarrassing as it shows up the lack of fitba knowledge those responsible have.

How can anyone argue that having him challenge for high balls, as opposed to Celtc defenders rising totally unchallenged, would not have helped beggars belief.

bighairyfaeleith
31-08-2009, 11:49 AM
The constant abuse the big man gets on here is embarrassing as it shows up the lack of fitba knowledge those responsible have.

How can anyone argue that having him challenge for high balls, as opposed to Celtc defenders rising totally unchallenged, would not have helped beggars belief.

Aye, but the lanky galoot disnae challenge for high balls, he cannae jump 2cm off the ground

****ing useless:agree:

hibee_girl
31-08-2009, 11:50 AM

:top marks:agree:

Expecting Rain
31-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Aye, but the lanky galoot disnae challenge for high balls, he cannae jump 2cm off the ground

****ing useless:agree:

Bit harsh he`s good when he is jumping on his own.

bighairyfaeleith
31-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Bit harsh he`s good when he is jumping on his own.

Can't say I have ever seen it happen

khib70
31-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Sorry to challenge someone of your immensely superior football knowledge, but Nish does challenge for the odd high ball, and almost always loses the challenge. I've never seen a forward of that height with so little presence - not to mention an almost total absence of positional sense. He ambles about aimlessly like a drunk looking for the lavvy in a strange pub, constantly fails to reach any pass played more than a foot in front of him, and completely vanishes if asked to play for more than twenty minutes at a stretch.

He's not a target man, since he has no ability whatsoever to hold up the ball. He has no discernible pace. He has the first touch of a rubber elephant. And even as a last resort, he did nothing of note.

No thanks

flash
31-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Sorry to challenge someone of your immensely superior football knowledge, but Nish does challenge for the odd high ball, and almost always loses the challenge. I've never seen a forward of that height with so little presence - not to mention an almost total absence of positional sense. He ambles about aimlessly like a drunk looking for the lavvy in a strange pub, constantly fails to reach any pass played more than a foot in front of him, and completely vanishes if asked to play for more than twenty minutes at a stretch.

He's not a target man, since he has no ability whatsoever to hold up the ball. He has no discernible pace. He has the first touch of a rubber elephant. And even as a last resort, he did nothing of note.

No thanks

Yet still he manages 10 plus goals every season. Modern day miracle that.

khib70
31-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Yet still he manages 10 plus goals every season. Modern day miracle that.
:bitchy:Nope. just a statement about the quality of the SPL

TheBall'sRound
31-08-2009, 01:08 PM
1. Without Nish in the side we need to concentrate on getting to the second ball. Something we didn't really figure out until midway through the first half yesterday. The gap between the midfield and forwards was too great to capitalise on the dozens of balls knocked down (especially by Loovens) into dangerous areas.

2. Caldwell et al would have had a much easier time if Nish HAD played from the start because they know that the aeriel ball will come onto their big moon heids more often than not. With Stokes (who was poor) and Riordan the forward ball was varied and kept them guessing.

3. We missed a forward passing player (like a fit Zemmama or dare I say, Boozy) providing the balls through the channels for the forwards to run onto. Rankin and Cregg are ok but are a little to defensive minded at times.

4. Nish is a fully paid up, professional centre forward. What is he doing heading a free-header, 10 yards out in injury time back to our centre half?? I'm not saying it was an easy chance but SHOOT dammit!

5. We did put more pressure on Celtic in the last 15 minutes. Mostly because they were down to 10 men and frantically holding on to a lead. Arguably Bamba caused more mayhem in the final 5 minutes than Nish - should we play him up front in the next game?

The OP is half right. But there are 5 reasons why he's half wrong :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2009, 01:25 PM

No thanks

Thats the funniest, but truest thing i have ever read on here.:faf::faf:

HFC 0-7
31-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont think we missed Nish at all yesterday. I think he came on at a time when Celtic were at their most vulnerable and he looked like he was having an OK game, apart from not having a go himself at the end and instead knocking it back to bamba, who cant shoot to save himself! Hibs have the fire power, no question of that, Hibs dont have the midfielder that can play that angled ball. Mcbride and Cregg are very average players, they just look OK just now as they are putting in bags and bags of effort. I sit not far from the dugouts and Yogi spends a lot of time shouting and the both of them, and surprinsingly they do a lot of moaning back at him! Anyway Hibs need a Boozy type midfielder that can find stokes and rioirdans feet. Nish seems awkward with the ball at his feet, chest or head!

TheBall'sRound
31-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I dont think we missed Nish at all yesterday. I think he came on at a time when Celtic were at their most vulnerable and he looked like he was having an OK game, apart from not having a go himself at the end and instead knocking it back to bamba, who cant shoot to save himself! Hibs have the fire power, no question of that, Hibs dont have the midfielder that can play that angled ball. Mcbride and Cregg are very average players, they just look OK just now as they are putting in bags and bags of effort. I sit not far from the dugouts and Yogi spends a lot of time shouting and the both of them, and surprinsingly they do a lot of moaning back at him! Anyway Hibs need a Boozy type midfielder that can find stokes and rioirdans feet. Nish seems awkward with the ball at his feet, chest or head!

I agree with everything you said which in turn agrees with everything I said about 3 posts before :faf:

lyonhibs
31-08-2009, 06:17 PM

No thanks

:top marks

Were you at the game yesterday??

This might give you legal leeway to pass comment on Nish's perfmorance and the effect it had compared to the preceding 75 minutes.

hibee-shtuggie
31-08-2009, 06:40 PM
i have read intently over the start of the season and have refrained from posting for a while, i feel like its time to get back in the game. after being at the st mirren game and the brechin game, and from the games last season, it is painfully obvious that nish is not the player some people claim he is. from where i am sitting i see nish constantly lose high balls due to a lack of strength. i am not doubting his effort or commitment in these challenges but he is not strong enough to challenge some of the big centre halfs in the spl. he can lay down a good chest ball to oncoming runners but other than that he has a generally poor touch. there is no doubting he can score goals but he should be scoring more - he does miss a lot. he has a lack of technique sometimes and being 6ft 4 myself i completely empathise with how difficult it is to keep your balance composure - especially when being challenged by smaller players with a lower centre of gravity who can get under you. fact of the matter is - there are far to many negatives to his game than positives, people need to take the green tinted glasses off i feel.

khib70
31-08-2009, 09:39 PM
:top marks

Were you at the game yesterday??

This might give you legal leeway to pass comment on Nish's perfmorance and the effect it had compared to the preceding 75 minutes.

Yes, I was indeed, but I was obviously abducted by aliens and returned without realising that Nish's match-changing 15 minutes ever took place.

All I saw was some big guy who does footballer impressions.

borstalboy
31-08-2009, 10:00 PM
this is why i love football.........everyone has there opinion, but those who think nish is good are wrong..........FACT!!!

cue argument....

lyonhibs
31-08-2009, 10:06 PM
One point I would make about Nish is that when we are defending a corner or free kick near our box he has been winning more than his fair share of clearing headers this season. Yesterday in the first half we looked like we could lose a goal at almost every corner - perhaps if he had been on we might have looked at bit safer at these. Don't know - just a thought.

So wait.............................

NISH FOR CENTRE BACK!!! :hmmm:

Cos he sure as hell isn't a target man, nor a clinical finisher, nor a Deeks style, moment-of-genius style player.

Boozy14
31-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I really cant believe the stick nishy gets on here,im not saying for a min hes a great player but hes a big presence on the park,gets him self about and wins alot in the air however i really think he need to stop fouling as much and has to take more chances i.e the header from 3 yards out against hamilton but i think some peoples comments are utter bull,but hey thats there view:hnet:

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I really cant believe the stick nishy gets on here,im not saying for a min hes a great player but hes a big presence on the park,gets him self about and wins alot in the air however i really think he need to stop fouling as much and has to take more chances i.e the header from 3 yards out against hamilton but i think some peoples comments are utter bull,but hey thats there view:hnet:

:faf::faf:

TheBall'sRound
31-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll give you "big presence"... but I really don't think he wins a lot in the air. I don't even think he wins his fair share. He has a terrible habit of jumping and ducking at the same time which, while physically impressive, isn't best suited to winning headers. He's far better on the ground than he is in the air which is like saying I'm better at quantum physics than heart surgery.

jacomo
01-09-2009, 01:30 PM

I can understand why Yogi started with Stokes - we were all keen to see what he could do - but he had a poor game (and Loovens had an excellent one).

I don't understand why Byrne was brought on either... Nish should have come on after an hour, with Stokes maybe moving to the right for a spell. But perhaps Yogi's still experimenting, and wanted to give Byrne some time on the pitch.

khib70
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Maybe we should sign a no 25 bus, then. Certainly a big presence on the park, gets itself about (all the way from Riccarton to Restalrig), and would not only get to more balls in the air, but might control them a bit more tightly.

And it would get me home after the game:greengrin

TheBall'sRound
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe we should sign a no 25 bus, then. Certainly a big presence on the park, gets itself about (all the way from Riccarton to Restalrig), and would not only get to more balls in the air, but might control them a bit more tightly.

Slightly smaller turning circle as well

lyonhibs
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Excuse me - what??????

benrocky
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I can understand why Yogi started with Stokes - we were all keen to see what he could do - but he had a poor game (and Loovens had an excellent one).

I don't understand why Byrne was brought on either... Nish should have come on after an hour, with Stokes maybe moving to the right for a spell. But perhaps Yogi's still experimenting, and wanted to give Byrne some time on the pitch.

I would like to see Byrne start a game rather than be sub with 10 mins to go. Watched him few times for U19s last year he was good,, give the lad a chance boys after all he is still a lad.:thumbsup:

Boozy14
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Im sure we could sign a number 25 bus

jacomo
02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I would like to see Byrne start a game rather than be sub with 10 mins to go. Watched him few times for U19s last year he was good,, give the lad a chance boys after all he is still a lad.:thumbsup:

I'll definitely give Byrne a chance - it certainly looks like Yogi will, too. Having never see the U19s I'll take your word on his ability. But he looked a little overwhelmed yesterday.

500miles
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
If Nish wasn't winning a lot of balls in the air against St. Mirren, I would love to know what he was doing, because it looked an awful lot like he was.

Nish wins a lot in the air on his day. On other days, he is less successful. He goes through bare patches, and there was discussion last season about him being more important to the team than Fletcher (madness) at other patches.

He is doubtlessly a player of limited ability. However, so is Kirk Broadfoot, and despite the flack he takes, he would walk into the Hibs team as it stands IMO. Rob Jones is also a player of limited ability, and he would get into the team as it stands. Darren Fletcher is a player of limited ability, but, statistics show, he is integral to the Manchester United team.

It's not about the ability these players don't have, it's about how they maximise what they DO have. Nish takes advantage of his height, where he can, and IMO, he is successful enough to merit the green and white shirt on his back.

Also, in a one on one with the goalkeeper, I would suggest that Nish is usually the coolest head out of any of our forwards. He doesn't over complicate things, simply because he knows he couldn't pull it off, and he has the experience to not let it get on top of him.