PDA

View Full Version : OF Games at ER

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I think we still get far too excited when these tramps come to ER. Yes, it's good to beat them, not so much for the rivalry with the weedgies, they are only following their local team, but because of the annoyance of all the glory hunters and bigots from outside Glasgow who scab on their local clubs by professing to 'follow' those sectarian muppets.

However, in the past we've been too appeased by odd decent result/performance at ER in these games, and I'm far more delighted at getting the full points against St Mirren and Falkirk than anything we might pick up on Sunday.

To make progress its essential that we regularly beat smaller clubs like Hamilton, St Johnstone, Hearts etc etc.

Whatever the result/performance tomorrow, it's the next couple of games, Hamilton (a) and St Johnstone (h) that will, for my money, be the important ones, and provide the real indication as to what sort of season we will have.

Bobo
30-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I think we still get far too excited when these tramps come to ER. Yes, it's good to beat them, not so much for the rivalry with the weedgies, they are only following their local team, but because of the annoyance of all the glory hunters and bigots from outside Glasgow who scab on their local clubs by professing to 'follow' those sectarian muppets.

However, in the past we've been too appeased by odd decent result/performance at ER in these games, and I'm far more delighted at getting the full points against St Mirren and Falkirk than anything we might pick up on Sunday.

To make progress its essential that we regularly beat smaller clubs like Hamilton, St Johnstone, Hearts etc etc.

Whatever the result/performance tomorrow, it's the next couple of games, Hamilton (a) and St Johnstone (h) that will, for my money, be the important ones, and provide the real indication as to what sort of season we will have.

I agree.

It's consistency against the lesser teams that will be our bench mark to a successful season. The larger games tend to take care of themselves.

Taking care of the lesser teams regularly would take us away from the pack and open up a gap but IMO there is no point in just settling for third place behind the Old Firm if you manage to gain that separation.

Hibs like every other non-OF team shouldn't stand on ceremony for the gruesome twosome but instead should raise their resolve by taking the game to the OF whenever they come calling.

If every team got in about them, gave them no time and showed them no respect, instead of being resigned to defeat before a ball's been kicked, it would be interesting to see just how poor the OF really are.

In past seasons there's been one team that steps out of the pack but ultimately they never tend to really put any pressure on the OF. Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Hearts and we ourselves have all had seasons where they've looked like putting in a challenge but in the end finish miles off the pace.

Imagine what it would be like if more than one team at a time could put in a concerted challenge, the OF wouldn't like it up them!

I'd like to see a return to an 18 team top league to try and further blunt the OF duopoly but sadly can't ever see it happening, for the good of the Scottish game, when the SPL is currently set up with the sole purpose of feeding the greed of the ugly sisters. :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree.

It's consistency against the lesser teams that will be our bench mark to a successful season. The larger games tend to take care of themselves.

Taking care of the lesser teams regularly would take us away from the pack and open up a gap but IMO there is no point in just settling for third place behind the Old Firm if you manage to gain that separation.

Hibs like every other non-OF team shouldn't stand on ceremony for the gruesome twosome but instead should raise their resolve by taking the game to the OF whenever they come calling.

If every team got in about them, gave them no time and showed them no respect, instead of being resigned to defeat before a ball's been kicked, it would be interesting to see just how poor the OF really are.

In past seasons there's been one team that steps out of the pack but ultimately they never tend to really put any pressure on the OF. Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Hearts and we ourselves have all had seasons where they've looked like putting in a challenge but in the end finish miles off the pace.

Imagine what it would be like if more than one team at a time could put in a concerted challenge, the OF wouldn't like it up them!

I'd like to see a return to an 18 team top league to try and further blunt the OF duopoly but sadly can't ever see it happening, for the good of the Scottish game, when the SPL is currently set up with the sole purpose of feeding the greed of the ugly sisters. :rolleyes:

I agree, and I'd even go for a 16 team league with a winter shutdown or revamped League Cup.

Bobo
30-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree, and I'd even go for a 16 team league with a winter shutdown or revamped League Cup.

A 16 team league and a return to the sectional League Cup would work too :agree:

RoYO!
30-08-2009, 08:47 AM
i think that with nish out it forces yogi's hand to play with more flair and on the deck today.

i think if nish was fit yogi would start him, as he would think that he would need a big target man to get in about them and as an aerial option- (how well nish does this is another debate) i think that most managers would line up that way feeling its the safe option.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Stokes and deek cope today. They will both need to work their a*se off and not be afraid of defenders trying to bully them. Time was that garry o would sort out anybody that kicked deeks! both really need to stand up and be counted. and rip the pish out of them at every available opportunity.

both have it in them to be match winners out of nothing.

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Very good post. How many times have we been pleased about a 'much improved performance', against one of the OF, whilst losing before and after to smaller clubs? What's the point of 'raising' your game against the OF just to 'lower' it again against the others?

Yes, losing every time to the OF and still picking up 90 points would suit me fine this season. :wink:

bobbyhibs1983
30-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree with the O.P as well, surprise surprise, im always agreeing with people:greengrin

Anyhow what i think is inportant to rember here is if you win against the O.F you get 3 points and if you beat the bottom team you get 3points.

I often wonder if players wanna beat the bigger teams more so to speak rather than the smaller teams, like if the motorvation is there.I think for msot players at hibs i think most are commited to winning every game but you know.

anyhow 2-1 to us today

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2009, 08:57 AM
A 16 team league and a return to the sectional League Cup would work too :agree:

Or you could have a Sectarian League Cup: two sections with one team in each! :greengrin

The sectional league cup was good, though.

Expecting Rain
30-08-2009, 09:01 AM

I agree and anything taken from the OF is a bonus as far as i`m concerned, especially with their many and notorius advantages, i`ve stopped going to matches which involve them, had enough of their sectarian crap.
If we could apply the same work rate and enthusiasm for games against the likes of Killie and co we would be doing well.

ChrissyG1875
30-08-2009, 09:02 AM

I think we'd all agree that consistently beating the smaller clubs is the most important thing about a season but that doesn't mean we get too excited when playing the OF, it's human nature to get a lot more up for Celtic at home father than st mirren, st johnstone, hamilton etc... IMO

Hiber-nation
30-08-2009, 09:09 AM
i think that with nish out it forces yogi's hand to play with more flair and on the deck today.

i think if nish was fit yogi would start him, as he would think that he would need a big target man to get in about them and as an aerial option- (how well nish does this is another debate) i think that most managers would line up that way feeling its the safe option.

Never knew Nish was injured. Doubt if he'll start Benji.

Dashing Bob S
30-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Or you could have a Sectarian League Cup: two sections with one team in each! :greengrin

The sectional league cup was good, though.

A regional League Cup might be nice, with North, West, East and Central sections. A curtain raiser that has ourselves and Los Yambolinos in one section and the OF in another?

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2009, 09:35 AM
A regional League Cup might be nice, with North, West, East and Central sections. A curtain raiser that has ourselves and Los Yambolinos in one section and the OF in another?

Need a bit of variety, though.

The good thing about the old League Cup sections was that you had 6 'curtain raiser' (but competetive) games at the start of the season.

The tournament was finished by Christmas too, rather than being rather tediously spread out across the season as it is now.

And summers were ALWAYS hot and sunny! :wink:

Aaah nostalgia........................