PDA

View Full Version : Question Anybody remember getting a Lift Over when they were a kid

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Those were the days.:thumbsup:

MSK
29-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Those were the days.:thumbsup:Lift over..push through ..climb over...ripped clothes..vandal proof paint on my clothes ...ah the memories ..:greengrin

Leithenhibby
29-08-2009, 10:43 AM
What have you started, I remember it fine as a wee boy and one game in particular was against the Huns. My mum said that I couldn't go as we had trouble with that mob all the time.

Anyway I walked to ER, a fat Hun lifted me over and we won 3-1 :greengrin
gave the conductor my name and address on the bus home and it never cost me a bolt...:wink:

HibeeSince82
29-08-2009, 10:43 AM
i remember the laminated Hibs Kids card that i had. Used to sit..well stand in the north stand

Wish i still had it.

Baker9
29-08-2009, 10:45 AM
:greengrin
And literally jumpers for goalposts. It must have been around my 100th game before I paid anything. I think by that time I may have been too big to lift easily or the club may have been discouraging the practice (1958?).

We just needed our bus fare, on the 22 or the 16, there and back and it only seemed to take seconds before someone agreed to lift us over. Finding 'empties' was a bonus. Who needs money, eh?

poolman
29-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Lift over..push through ..climb over...ripped clothes..vandal proof paint on my clothes ...ah the memories ..:greengrin

I'm 56 now :boo hoo:

Remember them very well liftovers, :agree: and sitting on the wall at ER with your feet on the gravel path till the cops came walking round every 5 or 10 mins and told you to get your feet back over :grr:

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 10:47 AM
What have you started, I remember it fine as a wee boy and one game in particular was against the Huns. My mum said that I couldn't go as we had trouble with that mob all the time.

Anyway I walked to ER, a fat Hun lifted me over and we won 3-1 :greengrin
gave the conductor my name and address on the bus home and it never cost me a bolt...:wink:

Classic...:top marks

Killiehibbie
29-08-2009, 10:48 AM
The best men that ever gave you a liftover bought you a pie as well. If that was to happen now they'd end up on the register.

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Remember, way back when you did manage to get in, the huge run up the steps to the top of the terracing.

Those were the days when you could stand and cheer the Cabbage.

:blah:

brownlies bits
29-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Old North Stand lifted over every other week, learnt to stamp my feet and shout Hibees Hibees Oh the good old days! :boo hoo:

Would need Nade and his forklift truck to lift me over now though forty years older and a few stone heavier :thumbsup:

Kaiser1962
29-08-2009, 10:55 AM
The best men that ever gave you a liftover bought you a pie as well. If that was to happen now they'd end up on the register.

:top marks :faf:

at the very least viewed with suspicion and given a kicking!

I used to get a lift over at the old east terracing from the car park. They would struggle these days as I make Nade look anorexic!

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 11:08 AM
The furthest back I can remember the price to get into the Terracing was around £1 or £1.50.:agree:

Maybe we should go back to the good old days prices.

J-C
29-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Yep, used to get a lift over the turnstiles until about 10/11 years old, until I went to secondary school, then you had to pay.

Woody1985
29-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I never managed to get in this way!

I got the bus down from Gilmerton a few times when I wa younger but there were always polis on horses patrolling the car park wall.

Was a bit of a ****!

Leithenhibby
29-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I never managed to get in this way!

I got the bus down from Gilmerton a few times when I wa younger but there were always polis on horses patrolling the car park wall.

Was a bit of a ****!

You mean Police Shirley? :wink:

HibbyKeith
29-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Never got a lift over, but do remember sitting behind the goals, and being able to get thru the fence into the terracing, there was a square section at the bottom of the fence that stuck out a bit ( god knows why it was even there) and if you were small enough getting into the stand where the singing came from was a possibilty.

snooky
29-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Alas, sad but true.

oldbiker
29-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I used to get a lift over most games. Most of the men were happy to do it as well. Never felt threatened or worried and would happily get a pie from other supporters.

Dead right you woud end up in the jail or on the register now. (sad world :boo hoo:we created).

53 now and a mature student so still get in cheap (£5 for the Brechin game) :greengrin

Bob1875
29-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Even I remember getting a lift over and I'm only 22, makes me feel old actually. Well no auld but it's no very often a 22 year old can reminisse aboot the good old days

WindyMiller
29-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Being a short-4rse had it's compensations as I was still getting a lift over when I was well into my teens.

I remember one guy telling me to get lost as I was stinking o' booze?
:faf:

Also remember searching for empties after the game to buy chips and/or fags on the way home.
I lived at Firrhill. Tanner for the bus in, tanner back. Great day out, win or lose.

heretoday
29-08-2009, 12:50 PM
The liftover was a great institution.
I can remember also going to games in London with a collapsible stool to stand on so I could see over the terrace wall. We would have a carrier bag containing pork pies, crisps, mars bars and bottles of coke. We'd get there early to soak up the atmosphere and have our nosh. Happy days. You'd not be allowed to do any of that now.

martin63
29-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Those were the days I remember them well. My mum and dad used to lift my older brother and I over at the old main stand (west). I always remember the old wooden stairs and being terrified incase I fell through the gaps (well I was wee at the time).
Later my brother and I would go to games on our own and I remeber when we used to follow the game round the ground depending which way we were shooting at the time.
Aaaah yes the memories are flooding back. Freezing cold feet, being crushed against those stupid little barriers they had at random intervals everytime we scored you just couldn't beat it.

Hibercelona
29-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Well I wasnt quite around in those days....

But i'll just get Nade to give me a lift over at the next derby. :wink:

Woody1985
29-08-2009, 12:58 PM
You mean Police Shirley? :wink:

If you give them their full name, yes. :greengrin

Killiehibbie
29-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Even I remember getting a lift over and I'm only 22, makes me feel old actually. Well no auld but it's no very often a 22 year old can reminisse aboot the good old days

It's all down hill from here once you starting reminiscing you're officially an auld ****.

7-Heaven
29-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Aye, remember them well. Also remember the last one, my old man almost had a coronary as I had grew a bit.

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Never got a lift over, but do remember sitting behind the goals, and being able to get thru the fence into the terracing, there was a square section at the bottom of the fence that stuck out a bit ( god knows why it was even there) and if you were small enough getting into the stand where the singing came from was a possibilty.

I remember that.... I forgot all about that.

Quality :thumbsup:

crewetollhibee
29-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone else remember how the east terracing was split in 2 and there was a walkway between that the crowd used to use to get nearer to whichever end Hibs were attacking ? That bit terracing down by the corner flag at the Albion Road end could be quite packed as everybody moved from south to north !! God I feel old !!!!!:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

hibbybrian
29-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I used to get a lift over by my Grandad about 50 years ago - later a squeeze through as I got bigger and he got aulder :greengrin

I lived at Firrhill. Tanner for the bus in, tanner back. Great day out, win or lose.

There were a few good Hibbies around your age (then :greengrin) living in Firrhill in the 70's - Derek Wilson (who had polio as a lad) and his sister lived on the main road near the bus stop and big Colin from the drive (went to Canada mid 70s) Alan Laird who worked in the petrol station (and his dad who ran the Hibs shop) was also a Hibby amongst mainly jumbos :greengrin It was a great time to be a Hibby as we seldom lost to the hertz in those days :thumbsup:

1two
29-08-2009, 03:38 PM
When did they put a stop to this?

I'm 24 and pretty sure I can remember getting lifted over at Tynecastle and i'm pretty sure we sat in the main stand as it is now bottom tier and it was a mixed family section, maybe about 18-20 years ago.

or do you think I am just imagining this?

J-C
29-08-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm 24 and pretty sure I can remember getting lifted over at Tynecastle and i'm pretty sure we sat in the main stand as it is now bottom tier and it was a mixed family section, maybe about 18-20 years ago.

I think it all stopped when all seater stadium came in and safety was an issue, hence they had to know how many were in to keep the police and SFA happy. Before then it mostly standing, so plenty room and nobody worried and crowd safety, just keep cramming htem in.

1two
29-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I think it all stopped when all seater stadium came in and safety was an issue, hence they had to know how many were in to keep the police and SFA happy. Before then it mostly standing, so plenty room and nobody worried and crowd safety, just keep cramming htem in.

ok, so your saying i'm making it up?:wink::greengrin

hibbybrian
29-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Any of the more mature posters recognise anyone at the Boys Gate c 1959?

jdships
29-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Lift over..push through ..climb over...ripped clothes..vandal proof paint on my clothes ...ah the memories ..:greengrin

That's it for me !!
:top marks

jakki
29-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I got a lift over until my late teens(I was skinny then). Then I started selling programmes outside the main stand and got in for free after counting out my commission. Missed the first 5 minutes unless I sold out really quickly.

Those were the days:thumbsup:

I'm_cabbaged
29-08-2009, 04:50 PM

:shocked:

Is that Yogi 3rd from the left and Benji far right? :greengrin

Action Jackson
29-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Anyone else remember how the east terracing was split in 2 and there was a walkway between that the crowd used to use to get nearer to whichever end Hibs were attacking ? That bit terracing down by the corner flag at the Albion Road end could be quite packed as everybody moved from south to north !! God I feel old !!!!!:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Brilliant ! :top marks

RIP
29-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I used to get a lift over by my Grandad about 50 years ago - later a squeeze through as I got bigger and he got aulder :greengrin

There were a few good Hibbies around your age (then :greengrin) living in Firrhill in the 70's - Derek Wilson (who had polio as a lad) and his sister lived on the main road near the bus stop and big Colin from the drive (went to Canada mid 70s) Alan Laird who worked in the petrol station (and his dad who ran the Hibs shop) was also a Hibby amongst mainly jumbos :greengrin It was a great time to be a Hibby as we seldom lost to the hertz in those days :thumbsup:

He wisnae a draughtsman when he grew up by any chance? Worked with a Derek Wilson in the late 70's / early 80's who had a wee limp. Was my drinking partner, great guy.

Leithenhibby
29-08-2009, 05:27 PM

The wee guy at at the front right has a nice wee black eye! square go after school by the looks....

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2009, 05:30 PM
The wee guy at at the front right has a nice wee black eye! square go after school by the looks....

Obviously not real fans.

ancient hibee
29-08-2009, 06:49 PM
You could drown in that walkway when it was raining.

hibbybrian
29-08-2009, 07:12 PM
You could drown in that walkway when it was raining.

especially when it was Nade-ing down :greengrin

sleeping giant
29-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I remember getting lifted over at most , if not all , matches.
I also remember my Dad lifting over 3 cousins and myself when we played San Jose Earthquakes. It was only 50p to get in:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2009, 07:29 PM
:shocked:

Is that Yogi 3rd from the left and Benji far right? :greengrin

Great to see Kano second right too.

hibee_nation
29-08-2009, 07:31 PM
We used to go to the North Encloure in the early 70's. My abiding memory is the 3 gates with the varying lengths of queue. From the left it was the longest queue for the enclosure, the middle gate for the more well off for the wing stand, and then the centre stand where they just used to walk in without hardly queueing at all. We knew our place back then. :greengrin

hibbybrian
29-08-2009, 07:35 PM
We used to go to the North Encloure in the early 70's. My abiding memory is the 3 gates with the varying lengths of queue. From the left it was the longest queue for the enclosure, the middle gate for the more well off for the wing stand, and then the centre stand where they just used to walk in without hardly queueing at all. We knew our place back then. :greengrin

Used to go to the North enclosure in the late 80's with a mate and his dad - it was the same 3 queues then :greengrin

King Paddy
29-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Remember those days very well. 1958 it was when my old man lifted me over. The crowds at that time were huge, and as a youngster very intimidating. The old enclosure was my first port of call at E.R., i had to get down to the wall to see anything. It's strange but i remember more about that first match than so many others. First time at a football match, the atmosphere generated by a 20,000, Gordon Smith, Joe Baker. I great memories, looking back at 60 years of age. 52 years a Hibby and i have loved every moment, good and bad.

fergal7
29-08-2009, 07:44 PM
my god if there was a place to get in to ER when I was a lad I knew it.

under the turnstile, over it, in behind the away fans we knew all the tricks,

WindyMiller
29-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Too right mate!
I'm sure I remember Derek and his sister, but definitely remember the folk who had the petrol station. I lived in the Loan and there was a pretty even mix of Hibs and Hertz (no OF to be found!) Do you remember Malcolm Nicholson? He lived in Colinton Mains then and started the Pentland bus, as well as running the programme shop in Bothwell street on match days.

p=sh
29-08-2009, 08:23 PM

the boy with the scarf on at the right, I still have a scarf like that...

Tomsk
29-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Too right mate!
I'm sure I remember Derek and his sister, but definitely remember the folk who had the petrol station. I lived in the Loan and there was a pretty even mix of Hibs and Hertz (no OF to be found!) Do you remember Malcolm Nicholson? He lived in Colinton Mains then and started the Pentland bus, as well as running the programme shop in Bothwell street on match days.

The Wilsons originally lived in Keir Street before moving up to Oxgangs. In addition to Derek and Jillian there was Andrew and Kenny, all good Hibbies.

Horse
29-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I can remember getting a lift over in my very early years following Hibs but at some stage (I can't remember exactly when) they replaced the old waist height turnstyles with the big full height ones and that put an end to getting lifted over!

McIntosh
29-08-2009, 08:59 PM

My abiding memory of this era and the north enclosure was the smell of woodbines and brylcream. It was always a big treat to be taken by my uncle who was always well pissed and would spend a fortune on us and never remember it the next day. Sadly, I think I was really to young to appreciate the wonderful football of the magical 1970s - I really thought it was always going to be so!

majorhibs
30-08-2009, 12:01 AM
my god if there was a place to get in to ER when I was a lad I knew it.

under the turnstile, over it, in behind the away fans we knew all the tricks,

Same deal, remember finally being allowed by the old lady to go to the games at 8, all you had to do then was stand outside the turnstiles at the East, & wether you wanted to go in or not you were lifted over in no time, after maybe a year of that and getting all adventurous and old at 9 or 10 the whole ground was then open if you had a wee bit imagination, as you say under, over, around it was all there for you, remember at Paddy's testimonial being in every imaginable place in E.R then in the centre stand at the end where all the players signed my 2 programmes, one other memory, in the 3 seasons between being 9 and 12 never missing a home game, I paid in once, on my birthday because I was flush and wanted to feel what it was like going through the turnstiles legitimately.

virtualhibby
30-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I remember the old terracing being like climbing Everest ( not that I have ever done that) but it seemed to take a week to get down the terracing with wee legs.

Kaiser1962
30-08-2009, 07:15 AM

If the turnstile was of the older "wee wheel" variety, probably. The new stadia turnstiles went from the floor to the ceiling of the booth making it impossible.

And apart from the guy who lifted you over and bought you a pie "being put on the register" as suggested earlier, the booth operator would be prosecuted by the Polis for fraud and the club for loss of income, they would then fail their disclosure (Scotland) check when they sought employment elsewhere and would therefore be unemployable. Social Work would then intervene and take their kids into care and the would spend their life on drugs and into prostitution. Probably.

As a matter of interest who today might not have a season ticket if it wasn't for "getting the bug" by being lifted over as a kid?

johnbc70
30-08-2009, 07:31 AM
If the turnstile was of the older "wee wheel" variety, probably. The new stadia turnstiles went from the floor to the ceiling of the booth making it impossible.

And apart from the guy who lifted you over and bought you a pie "being put on the register" as suggested earlier, the booth operator would be prosecuted by the Polis for fraud and the club for loss of income, they would then fail their disclosure (Scotland) check when they sought employment elsewhere and would therefore be unemployable. Social Work would then intervene and take their kids into care and the would spend their life on drugs and into prostitution. Probably.

As a matter of interest who today might not have a season ticket if it wasn't for "getting the bug" by being lifted over as a kid?

Its a good point, I remember getting a lift over when I started going to games in the early 80's with my Dad. Nearly 30 years later and I have been following the Hibs ever since and buy my ST every year. Hibs should do more for letting kids into the game for nothing.

Hibs07p
30-08-2009, 07:43 AM
My first game was around 1967/68. I went with my mates from Bangor Road, some were "old hands" and had been at least 6 times previously. We entered over the top of the big gate behind the cowshed well before there were any polis about, and hid in the toilets until the turnstiles opened, and then went up to the shed. When we were walking up the road, i was asked what team I was going to support, I said, whatever team wins, so I've been a "glory hunter" ever since. If IRC, thank FV<k Hibs beat Partick 7-0 that day. One day the turnstile operator needed a Nade and about a dozen of us got caught and ejected. I first started getting a lift over soon after that asking Hibbies as they were coming out Coopers or Tamsons if I could get a lift over and walking up St Clair Street with them. Aye, the good old days.

weststand1973
30-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry mate i've not got a forklift truck:faf:

Action Jackson
30-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I can remember getting a lift over in my very early years following Hibs but at some stage (I can't remember exactly when) they replaced the old waist height turnstyles with the big full height ones and that put an end to getting lifted over!

The full height turnstyles did put a stop to lifting you over, but if the 2 of you were skinny enough, the both of you could probably get through ! :wink:

iwasthere1972
30-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Young lads gettin picked up by old drunks was acceptable on those days. :wink: