PDA

View Full Version : Football Pools?

Antifa Hibs
29-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Just seen the advert for these and remember a few of the oldies I know used to do it.

What is it and how do you win money? Is it just like the bookies?

Woody1985
29-08-2009, 10:28 AM
You predict the winners of the games. I think if you get 24 points / 24 results you win the jackpot.

I used to like the game where you put the x's on the sheet 'guess where the ball is'. Did anyone ever win on that? :LOL:

Hibs90
29-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Football pools, often referred to as "the pools", are football betting pools based on predicting the outcome of top-level association football matches set to take place in the coming week

HibeeSince82
29-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Just seen the advert for these and remember a few of the oldies I know used to do it.

I always remember my dad winning £1000 on the pools. Was great! Got loads if G.I.Joe figures and vehicles! :greengrin

HibeeSince82
29-08-2009, 10:30 AM
You predict the winners of the games. I think if you get 24 points / 24 results you win the jackpot.

I used to like the game where you put the x's on the sheet 'guess where the ball is'. Did anyone ever win on that? :LOL:

Spot the ball was great . My dad use to let me pick. Probs why he never won on it lol

Killiehibbie
29-08-2009, 10:30 AM

The treble chance is about predicting 8 score draws to win the jackpot. 3 points for a score draw, 2 for a no score draw, 1 1/2 for an away win and 1 for a home win. If you get 8 x 3 points you get a share of the jackpot, if nobody gets 24 points you're looking to get as close as possible. Dividends vary depending on the amount of draws.

Golden Bear
29-08-2009, 11:23 AM
The fixed odds coupons are more popular these days.

I dare say that there will be online treble chance football coupons but the onset of the national lottery must have had an adverse effect on the number of participants.

AFKA5814_Hibs
29-08-2009, 12:56 PM

The Evening News's Spot the Ball was a game at ER one week and a game at Tynecastle the next. I was convinced when it was the Hibs game I KNEW where the ball was as I remembered the incident. :greengrin

Never won. :grr:

Killiehibbie
29-08-2009, 01:02 PM
The Evening News's Spot the Ball was a game at ER one week and a game at Tynecastle the next. I was convinced when it was the Hibs game I KNEW where the ball was as I remembered the incident. :greengrin

My brother and my auntie both won 1st prize £500 but not the jackpot which needed the exact centre of the ball to be crossed.

andyhibs
29-08-2009, 03:02 PM

it was never where the ball was in the real photo:wink: e.g in the picture of the goalmouth and you had the defender and opposing striker with the goalie all jumping for the ball, lo and behold the exact centre of the ball was according to th een was wait for it at the corner flag:confused:

jdships
29-08-2009, 04:49 PM
My mother won "one thousand shillings" ( £50) for "four aways" on Murphy's pools just before Christmas 1951
When you remember a tradesman was earning around £7 for a 40 hour week at that time you will understand we had a cracking Xmas that year !!!!
:thumbsup: