PDA

View Full Version : pubs for sunday

jst1875
29-08-2009, 07:06 AM
as the festival is on, are there any pubs open early on sunday before kick off ?

:party:

Barney McGrew
29-08-2009, 07:22 AM
as the festival is on, are there any pubs open early on sunday before kick off ?

Nope. Our lovely licensing laws only let hotels open up before 12.30 on a Sunday.

Bank Hotel on the Bridges/Royal Mile opens at 9 IIRC.

bobbyhibs1983
29-08-2009, 08:30 AM

Im sure a few pubs will open early but as a poster has said we have this law that says you cannae but booze before 12 30 on a sunday.

J-C
29-08-2009, 08:35 AM
As said, our pubs are still in the hold of the church on a sunday, this pub got raided by the police in January.

http://sport.scotsman.com/edinburghderby/HeartsHibs-derby-Police-raid-pubs.4868978.jp

Pretty Boy
29-08-2009, 08:38 AM
As from November pubs and supermarkets can sell drink from 10AM on Sundays, obviously no good for tommorow but handy for any future Sunday games.

J-C
29-08-2009, 08:41 AM
As from November pubs and supermarkets can sell drink from 10AM on Sundays, obviously no good for tommorow but handy for any future Sunday games.

Glad to hear that, this antiquated law has needed to change for many years, originally the church was against it as it was the lords day, obviously nowadays the church doesn't have the same powers they used to.

Pretty Boy
29-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear that, this antiquated law has needed to change for many years, originally the church was against it as it was the lords day, obviously nowadays the church doesn't have the same powers they used to.

It's going to be 10AM-10PM 7 days a week. Unfortunately it means an end to pretty much any kind of special offer on drink of any kind. No cheap lager cases in Supermarkets, no alcohol prizes in pub quizzes etc, no special offers during Scotland/Hibs games.

It seems the idiots who can't enjoy a cheap drink without going way OTT have spoiled it for the rest of us.

J-C
29-08-2009, 08:56 AM
It's going to be 10AM-10PM 7 days a week. Unfortunately it means an end to pretty much any kind of special offer on drink of any kind. No cheap lager cases in Supermarkets, no alcohol prizes in pub quizzes etc, no special offers during Scotland/Hibs games.

It seems the idiots who can't enjoy a cheap drink without going way OTT have spoiled it for the rest of us.

30 years ago we had all that and never once did anyone talk about banning it, too much trouble on the streets early in the morning nowadays, drugs have also got a lot to do wit it.
We used to go to my mates house, stick on some music, down some vodka and lager then hit the town at around 9ish, no difference from what the kids do now apart from now it's drinking shots instead.
You'll never stop people drinking, they'll just find another way to find cheaper drink, probably more trips to France.

BigKev
29-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Pretty sure clubs can open from 11 on Sundays. The HSC should be open then :agree:

invisible man
29-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Pretty sure clubs can open from 11 on Sundays. The HSC should be open then :agree:

Correct

J-C
29-08-2009, 11:08 AM

They're classed as social clubs and as such only members are allowed in, unlike pubs and hotels which are for public use.

marti1875
29-08-2009, 04:56 PM
As someone's already mentioned the Bank on the Royal Mile at the corner of the Bridges is open from 9am but also Biddy Mulligans down inthe Grassmarket's open too and licensed from 9am on a Sunday!! Be prepared for a shock with the prices though....£3.30 for a crappy pint of Carlsberg and about £3.80 for Guinness!!..but hey beggars cannae be choosers when one wishes to participate in some early sunday morning alcohol intake....:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
29-08-2009, 05:02 PM
They should abolish all licensing laws. Let pubs open and close when they like.

marti1875
29-08-2009, 05:05 PM
They should abolish all licensing laws. Let pubs open and close when they like.

Can i vote for you to be the next 1st Minster in Scotand??...i like that policy as it's way better than that wee smarmy arrogant yam we have just now...any more??....:greengrin

Gatecrasher
29-08-2009, 05:06 PM
That's the dilema for a Sunday 12:30, you need to get there early enough to park but nothing to do while waiting for kick off

Jack
29-08-2009, 05:08 PM
that's the dilema for a sunday 12:30, you need to get there early enough to park but nothing to do while waiting for kick off

do not park on the pavements around easter road.

Gatecrasher
29-08-2009, 05:12 PM
do not park on the pavements around easter road.

I usually park up from the loch inn

marti1875
29-08-2009, 05:15 PM
That's the dilema for a Sunday 12:30, you need to get there early enough to park but nothing to do while waiting for kick off

Exactly, lots of Hibby's will have this wee prob i guess tomorrow... get the train??...but the great unwashed sellik hordes will no doubt be through here at 11am hanging around the streets drinking their bottles of Buckie peeing in doorways singing their lovely party ditties etc etc to pass the time as nowhere is open!

Jack
29-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I usually park up from the loch inn

Sorry Euphoria1875 this meant as a general warning to everyone following similar parking around the area being hit with tickets. I dont like seeing fellow Hibs fans being targeted.

I will however suggest such parking arrangements to any celtc fans that ask. 'Aye your car will be fine there.' ;-)

steino1875
29-08-2009, 05:20 PM

just stay out all night till the clubs shut at 5 then stagger down to easter road 1 step forward 3 sideways should be there for kick off:greengrin

see you tomorrow

Dibben
29-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyone know if any of the pubs in Bathgate will be showing the game?

BH.

Gatecrasher
29-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Sorry Euphoria1875 this meant as a general warning to everyone following similar parking around the area being hit with tickets. I dont like seeing fellow Hibs fans being targeted.

I will however suggest such parking arrangements to any celtc fans that ask. 'Aye your car will be fine there.' ;-)
Yeah that bit is for away fans lol

jst1875
29-08-2009, 06:30 PM
just stay out all night till the clubs shut at 5 then stagger down to easter road 1 step forward 3 sideways should be there for kick off:greengrin

see you tomorrow

i might have done that if my mate was going out tonight ...... :dummytit:
but the big guy would rather go and see some crap movie at the cinema.

:grr:

The_Todd
29-08-2009, 06:35 PM
i might have done that if my mate was going out tonight ...... :dummytit:
but the big guy would rather go and see some crap movie at the cinema.

:grr:

Thats what you get for being mates wi Blobby.

marti1875
30-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Well, it's sunday morning and i'm up and raring to go for todays game!! Heading to the Grassmarket for "breakfast" at 09.30am then onto the game!! I bet Biddy's will be busy, and if past experiences are the same there'll be quite a few hibs (and sellik fans unfortunately) congregating there as well as the morning goes on...,.then come 12.30 it empties as everone heads to the other bars with reasonable prices as soon as they open!.
It's gonna be my last game for a long long time as i head back to Oz on Tuesday so i'm making a big day of it, hence the early start in the pub...i aint an alky...honest!!!.....oh dear, i'm in denial.....:greengrin:greengrin