PDA

View Full Version : It won't happen, but...

Hibbyradge
28-08-2009, 11:49 PM
... if we were to sign Arfield and Barr from Falkirk, given that we have already poached 2 of their players, would you berate Hibs for behaving in exactly the same way as Celtic and Rangers have behaved towards us?

If not, why not?

CapitalHibs
28-08-2009, 11:51 PM
... if we were to sign Arfield and Barr from Falkirk, given that we have already poached 2 of their players, would you berate Hibs for behaving in exactly the same way as Celtic and Rangers have behaved towards us?

If not, why not?

If we signed these guys it would be very unlikely we would let them rot on the bench.

Hibercelona
28-08-2009, 11:52 PM

If not, why not?

Because we would be buying players to strengthen our squad, not to weaken out competitors.

TheBall'sRound
28-08-2009, 11:54 PM
If we signed these guys it would be very unlikely we would let them rot on the bench.

To follow on from this, it is very unlikely that our tactic for signing Falkirk players is to make sure those same players don't play well against us.

There was a time when anyone who had a good game against the ugly sisters would end up there - I'm thinking Laursen, Agathe, Miller... there are dozens of examples.

Besides, they didn't want Barr or McBride and Stokes was never a consideration for a long-term deal so really it would just be the two players we would "poach".

Horse
29-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Because we would be buying players to strengthen our squad, not to weaken out competitors.

Excellent point. Sums it up perfectly.

jakedance
29-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I've never complained about the old firm taking our best players. It's the natural order of things. The bigger clubs that can afford the biggest transfers and wages can buy the best players. It's just economics. Capitalism. Rantic spend what money they have to be succesful and so do we.

I'd feel a bit sorry for Falkirk but if their club accept a bid and their player wants to come here then tough ****.

I know some folk get really angry about this topic but I've never seen the logic of the argument. It stinks but lifes not fair.

CB_NO3
29-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I've never complained about the old firm taking our best players. It's the natural order of things. The bigger clubs that can afford the biggest transfers and wages can buy the best players. It's just economics. Capitalism. Rantic spend what money they have to be succesful and so do we.

I'd feel a bit sorry for Falkirk but if their club accept a bid and their player wants to come here then tough ****.

I know some folk get really angry about this topic but I've never seen the logic of the argument. It stinks but lifes not fair.

I agree with you 100%

truehibernian
29-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Arfield has rejected the initial terms according to my snout and it would appear to be a non starter. Yogi has however got quite a cunning plan up his sleeve which involves an OF player of the hooped variety.....a bit leftfield :wink:

Petrie's Tache
29-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Arfield has rejected the initial terms according to my snout and it would appear to be a non starter. Yogi has however got quite a cunning plan up his sleeve which involves an OF player of the hooped variety.....a bit leftfield :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Robson??

truehibernian
29-08-2009, 01:39 AM
To quote a line from the much heralded series Diffrent Strokes "Whatcha taking about Willis"..........so close......grab a cigar bud :agree:

truehibernian
29-08-2009, 01:41 AM
typo...."talking"........and continue with that cigar :agree:

Petrie's Tache
29-08-2009, 01:49 AM
typo...."talking"........and continue with that cigar :agree::smokin

crewetollhibee
29-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Never had a real problem with OF signing our best players ( or indeed any other SPL players ). Mcleish helped to get us out of the First Division by cherry picking talent from our then opposition. My beef with the OF is when they turn round and blame the lack of competition whenever they get horsed out of Europe ( almost always before Xmas ). If they really wanted a more competitive league then announce that they will sign no players from SPL clubs for say 2 years to allow us all to catch up a bit. Think that would help them in their quest for European domination ? :devil:

Hibercelona
29-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Never had a real problem with OF signing our best players ( or indeed any other SPL players ). Mcleish helped to get us out of the First Division by cherry picking talent from our then opposition. My beef with the OF is when they turn round and blame the lack of competition whenever they get horsed out of Europe ( almost always before Xmas ). If they really wanted a more competitive league then announce that they will sign no players from SPL clubs for say 2 years to allow us all to catch up a bit. Think that would help them in their quest for European domination ? :devil:

:agree:

The OF rattle on about their being no competition..... but the fact is, they know how to win ugly... and they win ugly alot in the league.

I've seen teams over run the OF on so many occations.... but some how, they still find a way to leave with all 3 points.

I'm not having a go at the OF for scraping wins.... because I think every other team in the league has to learn how to do that also.

But when they say their is no competition... they are talking out there @rses.... they just know how to scrap wins better than the rest of us.

crewetollhibee
29-08-2009, 04:18 AM

The OF rattle on about their being no competition..... but the fact is, they know how to win ugly... and they win ugly alot in the league.

I've seen teams over run the OF on so many occations.... but some how, they still find a way to leave with all 3 points.

I'm not having a go at the OF for scraping wins.... because I think every other team in the league has to learn how to do that also.

But when they say their is no competition... they are talking out there @rses.... they just know how to scrap wins better than the rest of us.
Agree with what you say however when they go on about competition they are referring ( I think ) to technical ability or lack of when they play in the SPL on Saturdays then go off to Milan or Old Trafford on the Wednesday. On the same theme notice how when they achieve a result away from home in Europe using 4-5-1 or 9-1-1 it is hailed as a great achievement but woe betide Motherwell or Aberdeen or anybody else trying that in Glasgow. GGTTH.

Hibercelona
29-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Agree with what you say however when they go on about competition they are referring ( I think ) to technical ability or lack of when they play in the SPL on Saturdays then go off to Milan or Old Trafford on the Wednesday. On the same theme notice how when they achieve a result away from home in Europe using 4-5-1 or 9-1-1 it is hailed as a great achievement but woe betide Motherwell or Aberdeen or anybody else trying that in Glasgow. GGTTH.

They are always quick to complain about teams in the SPL playing all defensive up there way...

But they are quick at doing it themselves in the CL or UEFA cup