PDA

View Full Version : European Supporters vs British Supporters

MacBean
28-08-2009, 10:15 AM
After the constant singing for 90 minutes and the flares going off at PBS (unfortuantely they didnt let the place burn) last night and the non stop singing and bare topped men at the Aston Villa game, it made me think how good foreign support is!!

I recently watched a Borrusia Dortmund game (BVB) on setanta and the crowd was electric. The stadium is deceptively huge! it holds over 80000 fans and the atmosphere throughout the game was quality!
If you look at even the small greek teams they have non stop singing and banter going on in the crowd.

the only teams i can think of that have a constant "noise" throughout their games in the UK are the Pompey Cow Bell and the Livi Drummers and we both know how annoying they can be.

It got me thinking about how quiet and civilized the british fans are in comparison, and if there ever will be a time when us hibbys sing NON STOP for 90 minutes at most of our games!

Not that i dont think us hibees are incredibly fanatic already, i just wonder if we'll ever be more "european" as opposed to "Scottish"

RIP
28-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Not that i dont think us hibees are incredibly fanatic already, i just wonder if we'll ever be more "european" as opposed to "British"

Watch out - you will be pressing few buttons with this one.

I'll start - BRITISH, THE EMPIRE, BULLDOG, KEEP BRITAIN TIDY, BUY BRITISH !! :faf::faf:

MacBean
28-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Watch out - you will be pressing few buttons with this one.

I'll start - BRITISH, THE EMPIRE, BULLDOG, KEEP BRITAIN TIDY, BUY BRITISH !! :faf::faf:

oops!! just realised that!!:duck:

I meant Scottish!!

Antifa Hibs
28-08-2009, 10:32 AM
british football fans are the worst going.

don't attend games that are on tele, don't travel anymore than 80 miles without going off there nut thinking its the other end of the universe. sit down and shut up for the whole match and the only noise created is when someone is slating their own player or team. no colour. no passion.

p=sh
28-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I recently watched a Borrusia Dortmund game (BVB) on setanta and the crowd was electric. The stadium is deceptively huge! it holds over 80000 fans and the atmosphere throughout the game was quality!
It got me thinking about how quiet and civilized the british fans are in comparison, and if there ever will be a time when us hibbys sing NON STOP for 90 minutes at most of our games!

Not that i dont think us hibees are incredibly fanatic already, i just wonder if we'll ever be more "european" as opposed to "Scottish"

It's not deceptively huge, it is huge. I think it's the largest football stadium in Europe apart from Spain and Italy (that sounds, t0ss but you know what I mean...) I saw Scotland lose to Germany there in a qualifyer in 2001 or 2. Thing that knocked me out was thanks to the brilliant train service I was in a pub in the city centre about 10 minutes after the final whistle.

Can't agree about german crowds. I always got the impression they were making noise the whole time just for the sake of it, signing silly "la-la-la" ditties that had nothing to do with the flow of the game. I much prefer british crowds where you get spontaneous and often witty chants. Couldn't imagine "Booked for being ugly" happening in germany, for example.
If you're just making a constant noise during the match how does that inspire the team when it's the last 2 minutes and you're going hell for leather for the equalizer?

Good debate all the same though. One thing european football has going for it is that prices are far more reasonable.

heretoday
28-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Foreign fans like Zagreb's are years behind Brit fans. Maybe one day they will be as fickle, lazy and cynical as we are but I have to say they have a long way to go.

The_Sauz
28-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I think all seated stadiums put a dampener on the atmosphere at football matches here in the UK and other parts of Europe :boo hoo:

sambajustice
28-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Standing = Atmosphere

Seating = Nae Atmosphere

Simples!

PeeJay
28-08-2009, 11:04 AM
It's not deceptively huge, it is huge. I think it's the largest football stadium in Europe apart from Spain and Italy (that sounds, t0ss but you know what I mean...) I saw Scotland lose to Germany there in a qualifyer in 2001 or 2. Thing that knocked me out was thanks to the brilliant train service I was in a pub in the city centre about 10 minutes after the final whistle.

Can't agree about german crowds. I always got the impression they were making noise the whole time just for the sake of it, signing silly "la-la-la" ditties that had nothing to do with the flow of the game. I much prefer british crowds where you get spontaneous and often witty chants. Couldn't imagine "Booked for being ugly" happening in germany, for example.
If you're just making a constant noise during the match how does that inspire the team when it's the last 2 minutes and you're going hell for leather for the equalizer?

Good debate all the same though. One thing european football has going for it is that prices are far more reasonable.

I think German crowds are in the main pretty vociferous in supporting their team, lots of flags, chanting, etc. the atmosphere can be pretty electrifying, but I don't think it is all non-stop - I've seen plenty German games where the stadium gets pretty quiet. It all seems pretty much organised as well (typical German!); animator guys often 'incite' the crowd to sing along usually with bullhorns. What bugs me most in Germany is this awful "Mexican wave" nonsense that occurs whenever they lose interest in the game - they'll do it at the drop of a hat! I hate it with real passion and I always refuse to join in ...

The stadium announcer usually involves the fans in the team announcement or when a goal is scored!

Germans are always mighty impressed by 'British' fans and the atmosphere in stadiums though - be it Liverpool or even Glasgow Celtic, funny that ...

MacBean
28-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I understand the point about constant noise it can become a bit boring after a while. However its not necessarily the songs i'm on about.

the hundreds of flags:flag: , mass amounts of colour and the odd flare <inserts flare smilie> here and there :wink:

I understand the safety implications these things have on the crowd and that there are massive restrictions following Hillsbrough, but i do think that a bit more colour and "nutiness" is needed from certain clubs and fans. Even the Aberdeen ultras seem less colourful.

I have to say i have seen a lot more flags around Easter Road lately and I have my own flag i put together a few years ago which i haven't managed to find to bring to the games this season, but i shall be havin another hunt on Sunday morning!

(incase anyone is getting the wrong end of the stick - im not talking about Hibs im talking about british supporters as a whole)

Peevemor
28-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I know that in France, many clubs have a singing section of the ground, where guys with microphones and wee p.a. systems (together with drummers :rolleyes:) start all the songs and keep everyone going throughout the match.

It can get very annoying after a while TBH.

MacBean
28-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I know that in France, many clubs have a singing section of the ground, where guys with microphones and wee p.a. systems (together with drummers :rolleyes:) start all the songs and keep everyone going throughout the match.

I believe its the same at italian games

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2009, 11:26 AM
It got me thinking about how quiet and civilized the british fans are in comparison

Someone must have forgot to tell West Ham & Millwall on Tues night! :greengrin

MacBean
28-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Someone must have forgot to tell West Ham & Millwall on Tues night! :greengrin

no to digress (sp) but i wouldn't class them as 'fans'

Keith_M
28-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Standing = Atmosphere

Seating = Nae Atmosphere

Simples!

Considering someone used the Rapid Vienna fans (Aston Villa game) as an example, that kinda ruins your argument as their stadium is also all seated, as is Villa Park.

I think what people are talking about here is the Ultras, who do indeed sing the whole game. However, with the Ultras, you have to take into account all aspects. They are often no strangers to violence and their constant singing, no matter the score, along with the mega-phone numpties really gets on your mammaries after a while.

There must be some happy medium though between the Ultras and The "Prawn Sandwich"/"Stay in the Pub till 2:55 and then moan constantly at the game" brigades.

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Foreign fans like Zagreb's are years behind Brit fans. Maybe one day they will be as fickle, lazy and cynical as we are but I have to say they have a long way to go.

Nutshell. So many of our fans have been priced out the game, its not in our national culture any more. What we have in place is a load of consumerist, spoiled, bored and boring, battery fed, sat telly coach potatoes who think being a fan means gawping at Sky and buying a rep strip for Christmas.

(Present company excluded.)

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-08-2009, 11:56 AM
no to digress (sp) but i wouldn't class them as 'fans'

You could probably say the same about people who want reasonably full stadiums to burn down as per you OP!

MacBean
28-08-2009, 12:57 PM
You could probably say the same about people who want reasonably full stadiums to burn down as per you OP!

:faf: :faf: :faf:
cant help but just laugh at that post! Me not a fan - for having some banter at YamsNil expense - bit like 90% of this board then

hilarity aside it is hard to give the sense of sarcasm across with only a keyboard and some smilies at your disposal. And i didnt mean it when people were in the stadium - just for it to burn down in general ... if only that pre-match fire caught wind and burnt it down - whilst noone was inside of course - does that sound better :wink:

As much as the stadium is an eye sore it would be awful to pore more misery upon YamsNil :wink: because it would ultimately send them down... which no hibee wants as we would miss them... for a while:jamboak:

MacBean
28-08-2009, 01:03 PM

and for the record - im the furthest thing from any form of hooligan - ive never thrown a punch in my life :angelic:

I just love hibs, and hate hearts - quite simple :greengrin

hibeemarley
28-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Also the majority of these countries aren't sitting in the freezing cold with constant ppisshy rain :grr:

If you want to see two sets of fans going bush you should watch the Milan derby on Sunday night. think it's on espn

MacBean
28-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Also the majority of these countries aren't sitting in the freezing cold with constant ppisshy rain :grr:

If you want to see two sets of fans going bush you should watch the Milan derby on Sunday night. think it's on espn

its definately on this weekend i remember seeing it advertised!

I will however be out getting nade'd since its a bank holiday weekend :wink:

jgl07
28-08-2009, 01:16 PM

I have seen that at Nantes. There was a drummer and someone 'conducting' the crowd via a PA.

One of the best atmospheres I have seen was at a match at Rennes in their first season in the First Division (1994) against Bordeaux. The one end was a sea of flags, mostly tradition breton symbols.

hibsbollah
28-08-2009, 01:27 PM
A nation's fans seem to be representative of a nation's collective psyche. Hence the average Scots fan is negative, miserable and withdrawn, with occasional frightening demonstrations of fury at authority figures:wink:

Peevemor
28-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I have seen that at Nantes. There was a drummer and someone 'conducting' the crowd via a PA.

One of the best atmospheres I have seen was at a match at Rennes in their first season in the First Division (1994) against Bordeaux. The one end was a sea of flags, mostly tradition breton symbols.

Thats the Roazhon (Rennes in Breton) celtic kop. It's pretty good when their in full flow.

http://img47.xooimage.com/files/f/7/6/tri4-8cd0ad.jpg

http://media.staderennais.com/3/15690.jpg

Guingamp (which is about the same size as Galashiels) has the same thing.

http://img6.hostingpics.net/pics/884935IMG_1434.jpg

renato
28-08-2009, 07:21 PM

7:45pm Saturday night, ESPN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndKHHqSzXzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxv4Fk8Liak

Bring it on:smokin

ChrissyG1875
28-08-2009, 09:21 PM

:bitchy:

These plus flares are exactly the things that we need. these are what makes europien fans miles ahead of british fans and until these happen british fans will continue to be as bad as they are and will never compete with the likes of the OM ultraz, Inter ultraz etc...

p=sh
29-08-2009, 06:29 AM
:bitchy:

These plus flares are exactly the things that we need.

forget it, mate. I lived through the 70s and there's no chuffin' way I'm wearing troosers like them ever again...

Antifa Hibs
29-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Considering someone used the Rapid Vienna fans (Aston Villa game) as an example, that kinda ruins your argument as their stadium is also all seated, as is Villa Park.

I think what people are talking about here is the Ultras, who do indeed sing the whole game. However, with the Ultras, you have to take into account all aspects. They are often no strangers to violence and their constant singing, no matter the score, along with the mega-phone numpties really gets on your mammaries after a while.

There must be some happy medium though between the Ultras and The "Prawn Sandwich"/"Stay in the Pub till 2:55 and then moan constantly at the game" brigades.

yes but the whole rapid support stood, just like both behind the goals at rapid games stand every match, wereas here your sitting down waiting to be entertained like you are at the pictures.

ChrissyG1875
29-08-2009, 09:39 AM
forget it, mate. I lived through the 70s and there's no chuffin' way I'm wearing troosers like them ever again...

:faf::faf::faf:

Phil D. Rolls
29-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I think all this dancing around without shirts on surrounded by other shaven headed men doing the same is a bit gay.

I'll see you at CC's tonight if you agree.:wink:

marti1875
29-08-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rsr_YVRAOQ

Yep agree totally. In the UK in general everyone just seems to sit and wait on things to happen or get even remotely excited yet so many clubs over Eurpope will stand whether there are seats or not and will sing and create the atmosphere no matter what! Mind you, we do have to content with the yellow coat brigade known as stewards telling you to sit down or you get chucked out!!
I'd sure like to see rock steady or whoever trying to tell this mental lot n the clip to sit down as they're being naughty boys!!! Did they steal this from us when we do "lets all do the hibees bounce??".....:greengrin:greengrin

renato
29-08-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rsr_YVRAOQ

Yep agree totally. In the UK in general everyone just seems to sit and wait on things to happen or get even remotely excited yet so many clubs over Eurpope will stand whether there are seats or not and will sing and create the atmosphere no matter what! Mind you, we do have to content with the yellow coat brigade known as stewards telling you to sit down or you get chucked out!!
I'd sure like to see rock steady or whoever trying to tell this mental lot n the clip to sit down as they're being naughty boys!!! Did they steal this from us when we do "lets all do the hibees bounce??".....:greengrin:greengrin

That's some hibees bounce, the whole stadium are doing it :partyhibb

marti1875
29-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Tell me about it,we'll need to get those bloody Fenerbahce fans told they've stole our bounce...but done it on a HUGE scale to us!!.:greengrin It looks mental, as you say the whole stadium is bouncing and the noise is unreal!!

Gatecrasher
29-08-2009, 07:50 PM

i seen a video with german fance doing a bounce and they were actually shaking the whole stand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBk2LE-mbI

marti1875
30-08-2009, 07:45 AM
i seen a video with german fance doing a bounce and they were actually shaking the whole stand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBk2LE-mbI

Aye i did see that one right enough! See the look on the stewards faces just sort of looking at the stand as it bounces along with the fans!:greengrin

It just shows the difference ishuge in Europe compared to here but i guess that's why we all love the game, it's the different ways and fans. I loved it when i went to Belgium many years ago when we played FC Liege as the fans all had a completely different way of supporting their team compared to the UK fans. I think it's just the way it is and that's it. Somehow i don't think we'll ever see the day the fans here are as mad as the ones in the clips though but on a good day we can still create a great atmosphere.....:agree:

goosano
30-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I've see Barcelona twice and the stadium was eerily quiet with only a tiny section singing-in fact the most noise came when the fans whistled their disagreement with referee's decisions!