PDA

View Full Version : How did rankin get man of the match....

the happy hibee
27-08-2009, 08:14 PM
last night? he got it in the evening news and at the game as well by the sponsers, what game were they watching any time he got the the ball he went backwards or if he went forward he passed the ball to them and the amount of times he didnt give hanlon an option when hanlon was looking for a pass was terrible. i just dont understand this love in people have with rankin! rant over!!! from the happy hibee son colin.

hibee_girl
27-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I would have given MOM to Rankin as well, I thought he had a brilliant game last night :agree:

It's not a love in, it's just appreciation of a good player.

Billychaotic182
27-08-2009, 08:24 PM
last night? he got it in the evening news and at the game as well by the sponsers, what game were they watching any time he got the the ball he went backwards or if he went forward he passed the ball to them and the amount of times he didnt give hanlon an option when hanlon was looking for a pass was terrible. i just dont understand this love in people have with rankin! rant over!!! from the happy hibee son colin.

From What i heard he played well and set riordan up?

The_Todd
27-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Rankin could score a hattrick, set up another 3, and single handedly win a match and some folk here would have cause to complain.

John Rankin is a good player and had a good game last night. Why do people have such a hard time dealing with that?

sauzee_4
27-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Was never man of the match but he played alright.

I felt Hanlon, wotherspoon and Deek were the contenders for MOM

500miles
27-08-2009, 08:36 PM
A Rankin love in? The guy has had to fight twice as hard than most players to get the recognition from the support! People were ready with a new "Brian Kerr" tag, and were looking for the first oppertunity to criticise - as they always do when things aren't going as planned.

Rankin produces incredible amounts of energy, and will work well with McBride and Cregg IF they have a playmaker like Zemmama or Wotherspoon to work with. I would like to see the following midfield.....

.......Rankin..Cregg.McBride..Zemmama....

the happy hibee
27-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I would have given MOM to Rankin as well, I thought he had a brilliant game last night :agree:

It's not a love in, it's just appreciation of a good player.
I am sorry but i just didnt see that can you tell me what he did was brilliant? stokes was better than him so was mcbride, hanlon, cregg and murray. i would say an average player and no better and the sickening thing is wee lewis is not getting a game when ranks couldni lace his boots!

500miles
27-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I am sorry but i just didnt see that can you tell me what he did was brilliant? stokes was better than him so was mcbride, hanlon, cregg and murray. i would say an average player and no better and the sickening thing is wee lewis is not getting a game when ranks couldni lace his boots!

When Stevenson learns to pass without having to stop or kill the ball, make a quick decision, and stop letting games pass him by, then he'll be better than Rankin.

hibee_girl

Well for one he set up a goal so that's another assist already this season.

He created a few shots on goal, one in the first half when he curved it in from the left side of the pitch, he was very unlucky that one didn't go in.

He was on hand to break up play on the odd occasion Brechin got the ball.

He made about two passes back in the whole game but rather that than give the ball away!

I like Stevenson but Rankin is a better option imo.

Pedantic_Hibee
Stevenson's reputation is far bigger than his ability.

The wee man's best game was in a national cup final which has been a blessing and a curse for him. It propelled him onto the scene and got him exposure but it's also been a millstone round his neck as he's rarely produced a performance like it.

IMO, his best position would be playing the roles similar to Cregg and McBride and the latter has produced more performances in his short time here than Stevenson has in his career so far.

I like the wee man and I would like him to stay, but at the moment there's better players than him in the first XI.

I'm_cabbaged
27-08-2009, 08:45 PM

His goal apart (which was a screamer) I thought Hanlon had a poor (by his standards) game, as for the bit in bold, yor having a laugh are you no.

the happy hibee
27-08-2009, 08:46 PM
A Rankin love in? The guy has had to fight twice as hard than most players to get the recognition from the support! People were ready with a new "Brian Kerr" tag, and were looking for the first oppertunity to criticise - as they always do when things aren't going as planned.

Rankin produces incredible amounts of energy, and will work well with McBride and Cregg IF they have a playmaker like Zemmama or Wotherspoon to work with. I would like to see the following midfield.....

.......Rankin..Cregg.McBride..Zemmama....
Btw i didnt think brian kerr was that bad so that isnt my angle atall i just dont see how people think he is so good and one thing i always hear is " but he covers every blade of grass and that he works so hard" look if i got myself fit i could do that but it doesnt mean i should play for hibs every week!

Sas_The_Hibby
27-08-2009, 08:52 PM
How did Rankin get man of the match....

It could have been worse........it could have gone to Nish! :greengrin

I would have said Murray or Deeks.

Overall, I thought it was a lacklustre performance, however: adequate but nothing more.

Billychaotic182
27-08-2009, 08:54 PM
look at the end o the day its a team effort and we won

End off

the happy hibee
27-08-2009, 08:55 PM
When Stevenson learns to pass without having to stop or kill the ball, make a quick decision, and stop letting games pass him by, then he'll be better than Rankin.
the differance with lewis tho is he is looking for the forward pass 90% of the time so you have to stop and have a look for those passes instead of "the when i get the ball i pass it sideways or back or the daft wee chip ball to nobody rankin"!

Pedantic_Hibee
27-08-2009, 08:56 PM
the differance with lewis tho is he is looking for the forward pass 90% of the time so you have to stop and have a look for those passes instead of "the when i get the ball i pass it sideways or back or the daft wee chip ball to nobody rankin"!

The fact Rankin's had around three or four assists already this season suggests he contributes more than you think.

Tomsk
27-08-2009, 08:57 PM

And when's Ranks going to learn these skills? :faf:

King Paddy
27-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Rankin was deserving of his M.O.T.M. award. I wish the other ten had the same dedication that this boy has.

deek68
27-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Rankin is a hard working player with a good "engine" on him. No disrespect to him or the opposition, but there's every chance he'll get MOTM against Brechin City in a League Cup tie. Good player to have in the squad.

ivan03
27-08-2009, 09:23 PM
ian murray was unreal, nothing got past him, calm in the ball and won everything! he needs to play there!

Scooter
27-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I would have given it to rankin

Perspective
27-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Thought Rankin was head and shoulders above everyone else last night, in terms of attitude and performance.

While some were going through the motions his application was brilliant.

Bayern Bru
27-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Rankin was good, but I didn't feel he stood out as the man of the match.

Cregg or McBride were my picks.

Or does Rankin do 'a lot of unseen work?'

:devil:

500miles
27-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Btw i didnt think brian kerr was that bad so that isnt my angle atall i just dont see how people think he is so good and one thing i always hear is " but he covers every blade of grass and that he works so hard" look if i got myself fit i could do that but it doesnt mean i should play for hibs every week!

Brian Kerr would have been a good player if he had a sense of urgency and an aggressive streak. He didn't. Thus he was a very poor player.

martin63
27-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Rankin more than deserved the mom against Brechin. His work rate was second to none, he was always to be found in space or closing down the opposition whenever they had the ball so the only question I have is what game were you watching?

Jonnyboy
27-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Dunno why folk suggest 'love ins' just because they're not keen on a player and others are?

It's all about opinions after all :agree:

BSEJVT
28-08-2009, 07:23 AM

I couldn't disagree more with you.

Lewis, despite being the fans darling isnt a fraction of the player Rankin is and I really fear for him as he offers next to nothing going forward.

Hiber-nation
28-08-2009, 07:31 AM
i just dont understand this love in people have with rankin! rant over!!! .

If you think that folk on here have a "love-in" with Rankin I don't think you've read the board very much!!

He played well the other night, has contributed a few assists but with Cregg and McBride starting every week we'll need something a bit different (e.g an Arfield) if we're going to actually do anything this season.

RIP
28-08-2009, 10:03 AM
It's no coincidence that the three guys Yogi considered for club captain were Hogg, Murray and Rankin.

A player's player if ever there was one - a fantastic asset to the club!

TornadoHibby
28-08-2009, 10:05 AM

You clearly weren't at the game on Wednesday night or, if you were, either weren't paying attention or require your spectacle prescription checked immediately! :greengrin :wink:

Rankin fully deserved his MOM award IMO! :agree: