PDA

View Full Version : Celtic: The pot calling the kettle black re diving (merged)

KiddA
27-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Ok Eduardo dived so what. Celtic in my time as a Hibs fan have cheated more times than enough over the years and got penalties and got players sent off all the time. In fact I think Celtic are always cheating, anyway get it right up you I loved every minute of the Arsenal drubbing. :agree:

Hibs7
27-08-2009, 05:49 AM
I agree the correct team won but there is NO place in football for diving like that, the governing bodies should make it clear that if it is found by TV or other evidence that a player has cheated to gain an advantage, then they will be banned for 4 games or more. This has to be eradicated as there are too many cheats in the game and what does it tell the kids that are playing the game. Absolute disgusting behaviour from a professional footballer.

ORAC
27-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Andy Walker usually says when a Celtic player dives for a penalty that the player is ‘Just being clever’. I didn’t hear him saying that at all last night. Quite the opposite in fact, he was harping on about stronger referees being needed etc….

Funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot!!

banarc7062
27-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Andy Walker usually says when a Celtic player dives for a penalty that the player is ‘Just being clever’. I didn’t hear him saying that at all last night. Quite the opposite in fact, he was harping on about stronger referees being needed etc….

Nothing new there then, especially with the weegie propaganda machine:agree:

Joe Baker II
27-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Double standards from English media as useful, suddenly English manager complains about Premiership foreigner diving and it is all over media this morning, had it been Rangers and Smith making the point hardly think it would have got same coverage.

Rather different to reaction to Owen when he conned referee into giving penatly v Argentina and numerous other cases. Classic example of why seeing footballing representatives of England losing makes so many so happy.

Not intended to have go at Mowbray btw as he was quite right and first goal was critical last night, though realise someone will point to example of his own players diving during his time time at ER - actually cannot think of any example but sure someone (even if it is the resident Jambos) will come up with something.

Jim44
27-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I go along with the cheating thing but in last night's incident, which nearly everyone thinks was a blatant refereeing mistake, I am not convinced that there was no contact. Yes, Boruc, tried to recoill from any contact but I think the momentum of his thigh knocked slightly against Eduardo's ankle. At worst, for me, a very, very soft penalty. I wish 'tho that Celtic would shut their self-righteous gobs and take the Arsenal mauling on the chin.

lapsedhibee
27-08-2009, 09:28 AM

Kinda disagree with the implication that Walker was being hypocritical or two-faced. For quite a long time after the pen Walker was making the point that Celtc had players capable of doing exactly what Eduardo did, and that TGFITW would have been delighted to see their team awarded just such a pen.

Glad Celtc got cuffed, though thought they gave a pretty decent account of themselves over the two legs. Three very unlucky goals out of the five. Hope Eduardo gets banned on video evidence like that cheating Hun fud at Aberdeen.

Sylar
27-08-2009, 09:29 AM

At one point in the commentary, he actually said, and I quote:

"Celtic have more than a few players who are capable of winning dubious penalties and free kicks, and they may need to exploit that to get back into the game"

He was obviously angry, but I found that to be a disgusting comment - we all know Celtic benefit from dodgy decisions, but to suggest that be exploited on national TV was a disgrace.

Tomsk
27-08-2009, 09:35 AM

He also said he would expect any Celtc forward to do the same thing at the other end, and that he would think not one Celtc supporter would have a problem if a Celtc forward dived and got a penalty in similar circumstances. He described diving as part of the game.

I was confused by his comment about strong refereeing. When I first saw the incident it looked like a clear cut pen to me -- and I noticed Andy and Ian were keeping their powder dry until they saw the replays. With the benefit of a slow mo replay I could see the contact if anything was slight. But the ref didn't get a slo mo replay; he got one chance and from his angle I think it would have looked pretty conclusive. He was immediately barracked by the usual suspects, but he was strong enough to bat them away. Wrong decision with the benefit of high tech TV, but still strong refereeing.

ORAC
27-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Kinda disagree with the implication that Walker was being hypocritical or two-faced. For quite a long time after the pen Walker was making the point that Celtc had players capable of doing exactly what Eduardo did, and that TGFITW would have been delighted to see their team awarded just such a pen.

Glad Celtc got cuffed, though thought they gave a pretty decent account of themselves over the two legs. Three very unlucky goals out of the five. Hope Eduardo gets banned on video evidence like that cheating Hun fud at Aberdeen.

I agree that he said several times that Smeltic fans wouldn’t argue if they had got a penalty in similar circumstances, however there is no denying he defends diving Smeltic players with the ‘Just being clever/cute, doing what Strikers do!’ excuse…

Surely last night was a prime example of that, yet I didn’t hear him defend Eduardo from being cute/clever.

Hypocrite in my eyes!!

Oh well Smeltic got pumped….MAGIC!! :greengrin

MB62
27-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Scott MacDonald is the biggest diving barsteward I have ever seen wearing a celtc jersey. He must have legs made of plastercine and he falls down if you fart in his general direction.

Hibee87
27-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Scott MacDonald is the biggest diving barsteward I have ever seen wearing a celtc jersey. He must have legs made of plastercine and he falls down if you fart in his general direction.

Yip and i fully expect him/them to get a penalty on sunday now, just to make them feel better :grr:

Saorsa
27-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot!! They don't like it up them :agree: :bye:

Exactly the sort of thing they get up here all the time, now they ken what it's like for every non-OF team up here everytime we play them. Bet they wish they could take SFA refs with them everywhere they went

Hibs Class
27-08-2009, 12:12 PM
UEFA have now said they'll investigate Eduardo. From a neutral perspective it is the right thing to do. I think it's great that Smith has spoken up this way. It doesn't lessen his arse-like qualities in any way, but it now means he has no hiding place when asked to comment on similar instances in Scotland in future. He's made a rod for his own back.

poolman
27-08-2009, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Desperate Dan;2148874]They don't like it up them :agree: :bye:

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01550/90/34/1550684309_m.jpg

I was delighted when they got that penalty,and yes, Scott Mcdonald is one of the worst at that cairry-oan :bitchy:

Killiehibbie
27-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Do these things not even out over a season? Oh right it was CL qualifier and bang goes any hope of progressing into the multi million pound group stage. Shame.

lapsedhibee
27-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Scott MacDonald is the biggest diving barsteward I have ever seen wearing a celtc jersey.

Cough *Nakamura* Cough :wink:

Kaiser1962
27-08-2009, 01:04 PM
What difference would a "strong" ref have made. The ref was conned by a cheat. Simple as that. I have always said that this should be looked at retrospectively and the offender, whoever it is, given a significant punishment i.e. in the region of 20 (twenty) games and not the two as suggested. Also, if it s a high profile competion like the CL then a significant fine in accordance with the reward attained by the act of cheating. i.e. again millions of pounds or in a league situation a team fine of 15 points or something like that. It needs dealing with.

Hibercelona
27-08-2009, 01:09 PM
The cheaters got cheated.... my heart aches for them :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
27-08-2009, 01:21 PM
UEFA have now said they'll investigate Eduardo. From a neutral perspective it is the right thing to do. I think it's great that Smith has spoken up this way. It doesn't lessen his arse-like qualities in any way, but it now means he has no hiding place when asked to comment on similar instances in Scotland in future. He's made a rod for his own back.
What do you mean?He has already spoken up numerous times on the subject.Wasn't Lafferty banned?

lapsedhibee
27-08-2009, 03:52 PM
What do you mean?He has already spoken up numerous times on the subject.Wasn't Lafferty banned?

Was it definitely Gordon Smith who was responsible for getting him banned? I remember Smith being a bit less than rabid on the subject at the time, eg (The Times):

"Gordon Smith, the SFA chief executive, yesterday waded in to the Kyle Lafferty diving controversy, praising Rangers for the way they had rebuked the Northern Ireland international and made him publicly apologise to Charlie Mulgrew, of Aberdeen"

No banning call there - in fact it reads to me, and felt at the time, more like a "I heart Rongers and always will" declaration of loyalty.

lyonhibs
27-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Waaa waaa ****in' waaaa.

Welcome to "The Rest of the SPL"'s world since time immemorial, you hypocritical Weegie fuds.

KiddA
27-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Waaa waaa ****in' waaaa.

Welcome to "The Rest of the SPL"'s world since time immemorial, you hypocritical Weegie fuds.

Could not agree more :agree:

Brando7
27-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Petrov :greengrin

clerriehibs
27-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Waaa waaa ****in' waaaa.

It's not that many years since Lambert went down in a league match and won a penalty. No-one was near him ... but he justified it after the game by saying that if he THINKS someone has touched him, then he can go down. There weren't too many celtc fans who were greeting about that.

Moulin Yarns
27-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I only saw it on the evening Reporting Scotland, and, so long as UEFA see all the angles, there will be no punishment for diving or cheating.

Boruc does hit his right foot, ever so slightly, but enough to make him click his own heal and lose his balance. Maybe it was soft, but contact was made IMHO, so I hope all the weegies will say sorry for the accusations of cheating.

Brando7
27-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I only saw it on the evening Reporting Scotland, and, so long as UEFA see all the angles, there will be no punishment for diving or cheating.

Boruc does hit his right foot, ever so slightly, but enough to make him click his own heal and lose his balance. Maybe it was soft, but contact was made IMHO, so I hope all the weegies will say sorry for the accusations of cheating.

Oh come on, they guy was on his way down before there if any contact made

cheating should me stamped out the game once n for all, tv evidence should be added to the game, should give the 4th offical something to do

Moulin Yarns
27-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh come on, they guy was on his way down before there if any contact made

cheating should me stamped out the game once n for all, tv evidence should be added to the game, should give the 4th offical something to do

That's why we have debating chambers like this forum, differences of opinion.

The Arsenal player was going for the ball, it was probably going out of play, as I saw it, but I stand by my view that Boruc made contact, which was enough to put the Arsenal player on the floor. I don't think he cheated.

lapsedhibee
27-08-2009, 09:33 PM
The Arsenal player was going for the ball, it was probably going out of play, as I saw it, but I stand by my view that Boruc made contact, which was enough to put the Arsenal player on the floor. I don't think he cheated.
Awright Arsene? :wink:

KiddA
30-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok Eduardo dived so what. Celtic in my time as a Hibs fan have cheated more times than enough over the years and got penalties and got players sent off all the time. In fact I think Celtic are always cheating, anyway get it right up you I loved every minute of the Arsenal drubbing. :agree:

Same old Celtic always cheating, Killin and Mcgeady at it today. Where are you now Gordon Smith? lets see you come out in the media and slate these cheats.

heretoday
30-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah i don't expect Gordon Smith to say too much! Don't rock the boat.

Sunny1875
30-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Celtic proving they have learned nothing from thier Arsenal games good to see the ref getting it right with the simulated irishman simulating contact was also good to hear one of espn's comentary crew Scot Booth stating it as it was
CHEAT. A pity the ref did not show more spine when Killen Cheated in a much more obvious way.

unlucky Hibs but think we could have taken more from the game.

Callum_62
30-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Never thought id say this but:

TOP MARKS ON TEH CHEATING CONVO!

the only one who really stood to his gun, and said McGeady and Killen tried to con the ref.

Hendry and Booth talking about he just skipped past 2 men....he was expecting contact!

bull!

HibeeHutch
30-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Burley hit the nail on the head with most of his comments including that Hibs' passing was just all over the place; that we made no attempt to block crosses (esp first half) and that we were sitting far too deep.

J-C
30-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Never thought id say this but:

TOP MARKS ON TEH CHEATING CONVO!

the only one who really stood to his gun, and said McGeady and Killen tried to con the ref.

Hendry and Booth talking about he just skipped past 2 men....he was expecting contact!

bull!

Most of his match comments are too pro Celtic and poor for a commentator but ar you say he stuck to his guns about diving.

The_Todd
30-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Can you spell the word "irony"?

Well? Eduardo and Arsenal are dirty cheats. What does that make McGreedy? And McDonald for that matter?

Or is it different for Celtic? C'mon Jack Regan - defend the indefensible.

PS What is clear is Sellick are humped when the cash in on the cheat.

fiolex1
30-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I think the Hanlon had a bar of soap in his right pocket, and that's why McGeady went down so quick :agree:

Bishop Hibee
30-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I had a great view of the dive from the West Upper. Wee cheat. Well done to the ref for giving a correct yellow.

As for the unwashed singing "that's why we're paranoid" :bitchy: Obviously so used to major decisions going their way.

Ed De Gramo
30-08-2009, 02:06 PM
The plastic judas should get an Eduardo style punishment but won't because Gordon Smith will say nowt.

fiolex1
30-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Gordon Smith takes the Weedgie Dollar, so he'll no say anything!

ScottB
30-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I too look forward to seeing whether the cries of injustice coming from Glasgow continue or peter out now that normal service has been resumed...

hibeenicol
30-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Most of his match comments are too pro Celtic and poor for a commentator but ar you say he stuck to his guns about diving.

:agree:

Del Boy
30-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah i don't expect Gordon Smith to say too much! Don't rock the boat.

Smith wont say a word the big ***** bag that he is.

Sylar
30-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Long may Celtic continue to be "cheated" in Europe :agree:

Borders Hibby
30-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Well? Eduardo and Arsenal are dirty cheats. What does that make McGreedy? And McDonald for that matter?

I think they should go to their own site.

skipster7
30-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Same old Celtic always cheating, Killin and Mcgeady at it today. Where are you now Gordon Smith? lets see you come out in the media and slate these cheats.
surely if the incident is spotted by the ref and dealt with then nobody else needs to get involved:confused:

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2009, 03:05 PM
surely if the incident is spotted by the ref and dealt with then nobody else needs to get involved:confused:

No the opposite needs to be done. Gordon Smith should be coming down on all the cheats, he should be hammering Mcgeady and killen, and every diver, until such times as its out the game, and players are staying on their feet. Only the cheats will argue differently.

lapsedhibee
30-08-2009, 03:18 PM
No the opposite needs to be done. Gordon Smith should be coming down on all the cheats, he should be hammering Mcgeady and killen, and every diver, until such times as its out the game, and players are staying on their feet. Only the cheats will argue differently.

:agree:

GhostofBolivar
30-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Caldwell's comments were class.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Aye, well they did and they said your man's a cheating turncoat weegie ****.

The_Todd
30-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Come on then I know we have a couple of Plastics on this site. Show yourselves and explain why it's ok for RaSellick to dive?

Www1875hfc
30-08-2009, 04:56 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/benie30/sentoff_00.flv

Jamesie
30-08-2009, 04:56 PM
However, Mowbray's counterpart at Hibs, John Hughes, refused to criticise McGeady's actions and suggested that referees need to take a broader view of the game.

"People get booked for nothing," said Hughes.

"If we keep going the way we're going, we'll be playing with slippers on.

"It's a contact sport, and you need to get stuck in. Tackling is an art.

"Even if he did take a dive, is it not just a case of saying 'let's get on with it'?
"Where's the common sense? It spoils the game.

"You never want to see that, especially with a talent like Aiden McGeady.

"I'm the opposition manager, I want to see him doing his stuff and see if my boys can handle him."

Very disappointing comments from John Hughes all round there. Anyone who dives therefore cheats and this should be highlighted, particularly an Old Firm player and I'm surprised that Yogi is so keen to brush it under the carpet.

Maybe not wanting to do anything to threaten his relationship with his pal Tony? :bitchy:

Hibbyradge
30-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I thought Hanlon was going to get booked. I sat down.

Part/Time Supporter
30-08-2009, 05:01 PM
However, Mowbray's counterpart at Hibs, John Hughes, refused to criticise McGeady's actions and suggested that referees need to take a broader view of the game.

"People get booked for nothing," said Hughes.

"If we keep going the way we're going, we'll be playing with slippers on.

"It's a contact sport, and you need to get stuck in. Tackling is an art.

"Even if he did take a dive, is it not just a case of saying 'let's get on with it'?
"Where's the common sense? It spoils the game.

"You never want to see that, especially with a talent like Aiden McGeady.

"I'm the opposition manager, I want to see him doing his stuff and see if my boys can handle him."

Very disappointing comments from John Hughes all round there. Anyone who dives therefore cheats and this should be highlighted, particularly an Old Firm player and I'm surprised that Yogi is so keen to brush it under the carpet.

Maybe not wanting to do anything to threaten his relationship with his pal Tony? :bitchy:

I thought when the incident happened that Hanlon was being (wrongly) booked, but was puzzled by the presence of the red card (as he hadn't been booked earlier). Never thought for an instant that McGeady would be booked for that.

The only blatant cheating was Killen repeatedly falling over.

Woody1985
30-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Not directly related but it's to do with Wenger and how all this has come about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4842424.stm

Wenger moaning how divers should be banned.

It was funny when he was saying that his players don't dive and then Eboue was booked for it against Man U yesterday right in front of him. :faf:

ancient hibee
30-08-2009, 06:05 PM
No sensible manager is critical of an opposing player for diving because he knows one of his own players will do it -in our case Zemmamma not long after he came on.That's why Mowbray had nothing to say about Eduardo and Hughes nothing today.

Jamesie
30-08-2009, 06:47 PM
No sensible manager is critical of an opposing player for diving because he knows one of his own players will do it -in our case Zemmamma not long after he came on.That's why Mowbray had nothing to say about Eduardo and Hughes nothing today.

Look above - Hughes hardly had nothing to say. He didn't have to say anything at all, but opted to speak out in McGeady's defence :rolleyes: