Stack 8 dealt with everything comfortably, great distribution

Wotherspoon 8 No real defensive duties, great delivery into box

Hanlon 8 Comfortable and Composed in everything he did, Great Goal

Hogg 6 Strangely error prone

Murray 9 my motm strolled through the game, never lost a tackle

McBride 8 links the play very well

Cregg 8 Full of energy and committed in the tackle

Rankin 8 Great Game by John

Stokes 8 Some great touches, clearly lacking in fitness /match practice. Goals will come

Benji 6 Some nice touches but a bit off the pace and peripheral. In a team of grafters, I am not sure if Yogi will fancy him

Deek 8.5 Great Goal some lovely touches, good vision and working far harder and looking far fitter.

Subs

Byrne for Benji 7 Promising Debut, played largely out of position

Stevenson for Rankin 7 Kept it simple and did that well enough but I wonder if he offers sufficient creativity for Yogi?

Nish for McBride 6 Not long and may have tweaked hamstring?

Summary

Comfortable win against poor opposition who rarely theatened and couldnt retain the ball.

Hibs passed the ball for fun and made numerous opportunities which they contrived to squander through over elaboration / showboating, poor finishing and last gasp defending.

Much much more pleasing on the eye than the Mixu brand.

Coco Bryce
26-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Always wanted to be first!

Stack 8 dealt with everything comfortably, great distribution

Wotherspoon 8 No real defensive duties, great delivery into box

Hanlon 8 Comfortable and Composed in everything he did, Great Goal

Hogg 6 Strangely error prone

Murray 9 my motm strolled through the game, never lost a tackle

McBride 8 links the play very well

Cregg 8 Full of energy and committed in the tackle

Rankin 8 Great Game by John

Stokes 8 Some great touches, clearly lacking it fitness /practice. Gaols will come

Benji 6 Some nice touches but a bit of the pace and peripheral. In a team of grafters, I am not sure if Yogi will fancy him

Deek 8.5 Great Goal some lovely touches, good vision and working far harder and looking far fitter.

Subs

Byrne for Benji 7 Promising Debut, played largely out of position

Stevenson for Rankin 7 Kept it simple and did that well enough but I wonder if he offers sufficient creativity for Yogi

Nish for McBride 6 Not long and may have tweaked hamstring?

Summary

Comfortable win against poor opposition who rarely theatened and culdnt retain the ball.

Hibs passed the ball for fun and made numerous opportunities which they contrived to squander through over elaboration / showboating, poor finishing and last gasp defending.

Much much more pleasing on the eye than the Mixu brand.

That's all we really wanted to know :agree:

Brando7
26-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Benji didn't looked focused enough for me during game, was surprised to see him back out for 2nd half

Tonez
26-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Sounds promising, although sunday is a better test

ronaldo7
26-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Benji didn't looked focused enough for me during game, was surprised to see him back out for 2nd half

He was continually in acres of space but Ant and Deek wouldn't let him play:wink:

We played most of the game down the left and he was left out of it a bit. After about 30 minutes he got bored.

Cropley10
26-08-2009, 09:55 PM
He was continually in acres of space but Ant and Deek wouldn't let him play:wink:

Ant and Deek. I see what you did there...:greengrin

RoxburghHibs
26-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Stack 6 Had little to do but distribution was very good

Wotherspoon 7 Cracking player and looks a great prospect

Hanlon 6 Great goal but not at his best tonight

Hogg 6 Gave 100% for the cause but a couple dodgy moments

Murray 7 Solid as ever a calming influence

McBride 6 Rarely wasted a pass all night

Cregg 8 Full of energy my Hibs MOM

Rankin 8 He's looking a far better player under Yogi

Stokes 7 Some great movement and touches just needs a goal

Benji 6 Some nice touches but needs more workrate

Deek 8 Class act!!

Subs : Stevenson and Byrne looked lively but Nish was poor

Brando7
26-08-2009, 09:56 PM

We played most of the game down the left and he was left out of it a bit. After about 30 minutes he got bored.

lovin it :greengrin

lets get ready to rumble on sunday :partyhibb

Hibercelona
26-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Clever man :greengrin

ronaldo7
26-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Ant and Deek. I see what you did there...:greengrin

lovin it :greengrin

lets get ready to rumble on sunday :partyhibb

Clever man :greengrin

Can't say the Ant and Deek is mine guys...Been on the Bounce:thumbsup:

RoYO!
26-08-2009, 10:07 PM
watch us wreck the mank,

watch us wreck the mank,

watch us wreck the mank,

psych! :greengrin

Darth Hibbie
26-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Stack 7 Pretty quiet day but done nothing wrong was always looking for the quick pass out

Wotherspoon 8 excellent game put in some brilliant crosses

Hanlon First half 6 Second half 8 look out of place in defence at times in the first half and his man beat him several times with ease. Different player in the second half. Cracking goal

Hogg 6 Would have been a nightmare if the opposition had been better

Murray 8 If Hogg does not improve can see Bamba and Murray at the back. Fantastic game

McBride 7 Worked well in the middle of the park

Cregg 7 As McBride

Rankin 9 MOM for me was getting involved all the time

Stokes 7 Going to be brilliant for us him and deeks looking really good together

Benji 6 When he got the ball he showed some real skill but mostly the game passed him by

Deek 8 :thumbsup: Looked really hungry for it

Subs: did not change the game any really

We created loads of chances. Think in the second half the entire team was looking to get deeks his hat-trick or stokes his first and sometimes missed the easy ball to Byrne or Benji.

Special mention for the ref thought he had a great game

Judas Iscariot
26-08-2009, 10:33 PM
watch us wreck the mank,

watch us wreck the mank,

watch us wreck the mank,

psych! :greengrin

Mank?

As in manky bástard?

Or a person from Manchester?

:dunno:

hibee1ryan
26-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Thought the game was okay tonight hibs played well but we werent up against much. Great goal by deeks and hanlon. Think stokes and riordan are going to be a class act up front together, they always kept looking for each other everytime they where in the final 3rd of the pitch.Much to benji and byrnes dislike.. Benji didnt look interested all night, but think he is still low on confidence..
Thought John Rankin played extremley well tonight!
was happy to see stevenson get a run out aswell..:agree:

monktonharp
26-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Stack 6 Had little to do but distribution was very good

Wotherspoon 7 Cracking player and looks a great prospect

Hanlon 6 Great goal but not at his best tonight

Hogg 6 Gave 100% for the cause but a couple dodgy moments

Murray 7 Solid as ever a calming influence

McBride 6 Rarely wasted a pass all night

Cregg 8 Full of energy my Hibs MOM

Rankin 8 He's looking a far better player under Yogi

Stokes 7 Some great movement and touches just needs a goal

Benji 6 Some nice touches but needs more workrate

Deek 8 Class act!!

Subs : Stevenson and Byrne looked lively but Nish was poor:agree:my exact thoughts, although Benji did hit the post,from long range did he not?

MacBean
26-08-2009, 11:01 PM
unsung hero tonight was McBride, thought he was brilliant tonight. won so much in the middle of the park and did the simple things excellently.

Deek was class but had his usual moan :wink:

Benji didn't look interested

Stokes should have had 1 if not 2 goals - they will come

Murray was fantastic tonight nothing to trouble him

Stack had nothing to do but his distribution was great and i had a lot more confidence when the ball went anywhere near our box. made a couple of EXTREMELY loud shouts which i can say ive never heard Maka do!

Wotherspoon reminded me of whittaker with his performance tonight, had a good chance to score

Hanlon great game, great goal

rankin good game but quieter than usual i thought

MacBean
26-08-2009, 11:02 PM
:agree:my exact thoughts, although Benji did hit the post,from long range did he not?

forgot about that!!

Hibs90
26-08-2009, 11:12 PM
unsung hero tonight was McBride, thought he was brilliant tonight. won so much in the middle of the park and did the simple things excellently.

Stack had nothing to do but his distribution was great and i had a lot more confidence when the ball went anywhere near our box. made a couple of EXTREMELY loud shouts which i can say ive never heard Maka do!

Wotherspoon reminded me of whittaker with his performance tonight, had a good chance to score

You been watching Hibs recentley? Maka shouts non-stop. :agree:

Stack - 7 - Nothing to do

Wotherspoon - 7.5
Hogg - 5 - Poor run of form :(
Murray - 6
Hanlon - 8 - Great game

Cregg - 6 - Never done much
McBride - 7.5 - Impressive
Rankin - 7

Benji - 5 - Poor
Stokes - 7 - Goals soon I hope. Should have finished that one on one though
Riordan - 8 - Class

Byrne - 7
Stevenson - 6 - Too indecisive
Nish - 5 - Never done much

Frazerbob
26-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Noticed this a few times. Ant & Deek really seemed to thrive palying together and looked like they really enjoyed it. Great to see such an understanding so early. HOWEVER, there were a number of times that they seemed to ignore Benji and he clerly got fed up after half an hour or. That's why, IMO, on the few occasions he did receive the ball in good possitions, he was greedy. A few very silky touches and a cracking shot that hit the post but definately went in the huff.

MacBean
26-08-2009, 11:19 PM
You been watching Hibs recentley? Maka shouts non-stop. :agree:

Stack - 7 - Nothing to do

Wotherspoon - 7.5
Hogg - 5 - Poor run of form :(
Murray - 6
Hanlon - 8 - Great game

Cregg - 6 - Never done much
McBride - 7.5 - Impressive
Rankin - 7

Benji - 5 - Poor
Stokes - 7 - Goals soon I hope. Should have finished that one on one though
Riordan - 8 - Class

Byrne - 7
Stevenson - 6 - Too indecisive
Nish - 5 - Never done much

Of course i do - ST :greengrin

i must miss it then? :hide:
i cant think of one lately.
Maybe i sit too far away - West Upper. :devil:

:shotdowni

Taz_hibee
26-08-2009, 11:21 PM

The only time Stack was asked to make a save was in the 1st half when the boy ran through himself and he was beaten when the ball was chipped over him but luckly the ball went passed the post

MacBean
26-08-2009, 11:23 PM
The only time Stack was asked to make a save was in the 1st half when the boy ran through himself and he was beaten when the ball was chipped over him but luckly the ball went passed the post

one save but he had to come running out of his box and punt it in a 1-on-1, and he gave hogg a big shout to leave it... (woopdee doo i know)

three things :wink:
still not a huge amount to judge him on

Danderhall Hibs
It's hard to mark so I'm going for a few selected comments...

I liked what I saw of Stack - distribution was excellent and I liked the way he caught the ball instead of punching it. Hopefully it "catches" on.

Wotherspoon got forward well and put a few cracking crosses in. Reminded me of Whittaker a bit. I'd be tempted to start him there on Sunday.

I thought Hanlon was quite poor - goal apart obviously.

Murray strolled through the game.

Hogg looks more and more dodgy every week. I think Yogi's made a mistake making him captain.

The rest were good - McBride, Cregg and Rankin are good grafters. I thought Stokes was dropping quite deep at times, he was never going to score tonight - just one of those nights for him. Riordan's goal was an absolute peach.

Hibs90
Of course i do - ST :greengrin

i must miss it then? :hide:
i cant think of one lately.
Maybe i sit too far away - West Upper. :devil:

:shotdowni

Past few games I've seen the big man I've heard him loud and clear.

My obsession for Maka is actually quite spooky.

MacBean
26-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Past few games I've seen the big man I've heard him loud and clear.

My obsession for Maka is actually quite spooky.

I stand corrected :aok:

Its probably because i was deliberately looking for things to judge Stack on, and we didnt have much to go by tonight.

Hibs90
26-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I stand corrected :aok:

Its probably because i was deliberately looking for things to judge Stack on, and we didnt have much to go by tonight.

Fair enough mate. I liked the look of Stack though. His kicking was excellent.:agree:

O'Brien[11]
26-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Benji must have been shattered having not had anything to eat etc all day?
give the boy a break, he just has a name for himself, hes looked sharp coming off the bench last 2 games, we are in good shape, think making hogg captain was the wrong choice, as you don't really want to drop your captain but he really needs a good boot up the arse. Stokes looks a class act, a goal on sunday will do him the world of good. Riordan what a difference under Yogi, No Galbraith tonight? Times are lookin good with Zemmama coming back and hopefully another couple of decent signings 3rd should be no problem along with a good cup run:wink:. Who to drop for Zemmama selection headache or what. Mon the cabbage:greengrin:thumbsup:.

Taz_hibee
26-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Stack looked fine but had very little to do so hard to judge how he would be under pressure of an SPL game. Maka will be back in goal on Sunday as I think Yogi looks upon him as his No1 keeper, he is the best man to decide this as he see's both of them in training every day and I for one am happy to go with his decision, he also must get feed back on both from the coach

Bayern Bru
26-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Some people on here would still be complaining if we'd put 10 past Brechin I reckon. (which we could have had...!)

:greengrin

In all seriousness though, there were some errors that would have more than likely been punished by superior opposition, but can anyone ever remember a similarly solid performance under Mixu?

Sunday's the real test though.

gogs_t
26-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Noticed this a few times. Ant & Deek really seemed to thrive palying together and looked like they really enjoyed it. Great to see such an understanding so early. HOWEVER, there were a number of times that they seemed to ignore Benji and he clerly got fed up after half an hour or. That's why, IMO, on the few occasions he did receive the ball in good possitions, he was greedy. A few very silky touches and a cracking shot that hit the post but definately went in the huff.

Agree with that. Said to the guy next to me after 15 minutes that although Ant and Deek were linking up very well, Benji had got himself in good positions but they never played the ball to him. Even when he set them up, and there was an example when he put Stokes clean through, they were slow to acknowledge his contribution. There was a point in the second half that he was perfectly positioned for a pass in front of goals and again was ignored and he looked over to the bench with "what's the point" gesture.
I honestly thought he looked the part tonight but seemed to be treated as a bit of an outsider - maybe his recent attitude towards the club has come back to bite him - but I actually felt a bit sorry for him.

Bayern Bru
26-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I honestly thought he looked the part tonight but seemed to be treated as a bit of an outsider - maybe his recent attitude towards the club has come back to bite him - but I actually felt a bit sorry for him.

Perhaps. I certainly thought he looked fitter, quicker and more interested than when he was here previously (up to a point). Although he has a tendency to be greedy which wasn't in Stokes and Riordan's game plan.

Hmm.

NOLA
27-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Hogg looks like he misses big jonesey big style, the spoon while good going forward, 2 footed, looking comfortable on ball , creative, is not a full back, LBH he wasn'nt up against much, Mcbride is the new hamilton! but who is the new Mcginlay? Rankin? Benji could be suffering from Ramadan though at least he could have a munch and drink when the game was over:greengrin Stokes with games looks like he will do the biz and a final mention to ian murray:greengrin wanted him as captain and showed tonight albeit lesser opposition that he is the leader on the park and not hogg.

Big90inOz
27-08-2009, 12:35 AM
My thoughts on the game

Hanlon. good defender, poor passer of the ball

Hogg. Made the easy things look hard

Benji. didn't look interested.

Defence looked vulnerable to a player running at them.

Thought we controlled the game well and did enough

The one frustration I have is why can't we pass the ball in front of the fullbacks ? Why do we play the ball directly to them or worse behind them ? There were several times tonight where a ball in front would have sent them free.

Think Celtic are in for one hell of a fight on Sunday :agree:
Could be a good old fashion shoot out :thumbsup:

Latapy1911
27-08-2009, 02:14 AM
hmm was at the game to

Stack - 6.5 nothing to do really, doesn't have the presence of Maka tho

Spoon - 7.5 fantastic crossing, not to sure about his defence game though

Hanlon - 8 He did very well, scored a screamer and did some very nice passes and runs

Murray - 10 did everything right

Hogg - 7 did fine, little edgy at times though

McBride - 8 great game worked hard

Clegg - 8 same as McBride

Rankin - 8.5, Great game, needs to work on his final through ball tho

Benji - 5.5, apart from a couple of good turns and hitting the post, I was dissapointed with his performace :(

Riordan, 9.5 excellent

Stokes, 8 Can see him scoring loads!

Wakeyhibee
27-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Just back from a long drive home and there were plenty of positives again :thumbsup: Highlights for me were:-

Stack althouth little to do in coming for crosses/making saves, Heard him clear as a bell all match organising the defence, left Hogg in no doubt the ball was his when he was under pressure going backwards to goal. Distribution with hands or feet was excellent and looked at home with the ball at his feet. Filled me with a confidence I seemed to have misplaced for a while.

Wotherspoon looked the part again going forward linking up well in attack, little to do at the back tho, deserves a place back at right mid on Sunday.

Byrne - first time I've seen him, looked excellent on the ball and was making great runs/space and giving the midfield options, this guy looks like he will make the grade and sooner rather than later.

McBride - hardest worker I've seen in some time (not unseen :greengrin) defensively, excellent passing, always gives an option to the defence, constantly looking to pick the ball up deep and start the next move forward.

Stokes worked very hard, played some great touches and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Has someone given him Gary Birtles shirt in error???

Still a long way to go and Sunday will be a big test with Celtic on the rebound from tonights humbling. but 3 wins in 3, 8 goals in the same, decent passing football, we are definately heading in right direction.

truehibernian
27-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Amazes me that people on here are saying Cregg "never done much"........he harried, closed down, passed to a man all the time, and basically bossed that midfield.....wonderful signing and him and McBride are the midfield that we lacked last season. Benji, although off the pace, showed that he has the touch and skill that with the Yogi "arm round the shoulder" can come on to a game.........Wotherspoon for me proved what a real talent this boy is.......played in a completely foreign position and in the second half he must have whipped in about four or five crosses which were ripe for a penalty box striker to finish. All in all a very professional job tonight and all the players showed that they wanted the job done. Stokes first touch and skill in the first half was a joy to watch. Second half he dropped wee bit too deep, but what a great player we have signed :thumbsup:

VegasHibby
27-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. All sounds very promising. Especially the new signings and youngsters coming through......

Hibs7
27-08-2009, 05:46 AM
with all the strikers that were playing why did we only score 3 ????:grr:

Scooter
27-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Stack - 6 didnt do anything wrong but didnt do anything at all:thumbsup:
Wortherspoon - 6 looks good but i think he looked unsure (not in his play) in that position.
Hogg - 5 i like Hoggy but there is something right now wrong.
Murray - 8 excellent from murray i thought he was excellent.
Hanlon - 7 gets the extra mark for the goal but he is not a LB he's a CH
Cregg - 6 i dont know how someone gave him MOM he needed to do more.
McBride - 7 great performance for him done lost of work protecting the back 4.
Rankin - 8 this guy has impressed me this season does a tone of work an ANOTHER assist.
Benji - 6 i thought he started well but seemed to get bored.
Stokes - 7 bags of pace and energy if we could get a boozy or Zemmama back he WILL score.
Deek - 9 All be it lesser oposition this is the best i have seen him play since he came back. he looked hungry and looked like he had the confidence to try and beat a player again.

GlesgaeHibby
27-08-2009, 06:28 AM
I thought Ian Murray had a poor first half by his standards allowing Brechin a couple of chances but second half he was excellent.

Benji was in one of his huffy moods, not interested in working.

Hanlon, a few slack passes but otherwise he likes to get up and down the wing.

McBride was excellent, always talking, always wanting on the ball. Would happily have him as captain.

Wotherspoon can crack in a brilliant cross.

Stack didn't have to do much but did what he had to well.

Stokes, no idea how he missed that sitter in the first half. Great workrate, turn of pace and strength but perhaps trying far too hard to score last night.

Nish's attempt at an overhead kick 10/10

Judas Iscariot
27-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Stack - 7 - What he had to do he did very well, commanding, confident, excellent distribution

Spoony - 7 - Great prospect, reminds me so much of Whitty

Hogg - 4 - Gant again, struggled against 2nd division opposition, clock is defo ticking..

Murray - 8 - Superb, won every challenge he went in for, didn't put a foot wrong all night

Hanlon - 7 - Excellent goal, got forward well though his passing in the 1st half was poor at times

McBride - 7 - Always available fir a pass, hardly made 1 error all night, lots of SEEN work

Cregg - 7 - See above, very happy with these 2 so far

Rankin - 7 - Worked well, like the duracell bunny, needs to be a bit harder in the tackle though

Benji - 6 - Did well when facing goal, lacking a bit sharpness and probably hank cos of Ramadan

Stokes - 8 - Did everythin except score, great link up with Deek, put in a power of work! He WILL score on Sunday

Riordan - 9 - Classy, seemed to love last night, him and Tony look to have hit it off right away!

Subs - 5 -

Very proffesional performance last night, Brechin couldn't get the ball, we kept it on the deck, passed it well and maybe on another night had 6 or 7 goals..

Happy with it though!!

Bring on the soap dodgers!!

Hibbyradge
27-08-2009, 06:37 AM
McBride was my MOM.

Rankin played well too and Murray was dependable.

Deek's goal was a joy as was Hanlon's.

Stokes worked hard, probably tried too hard and ended up disappointing.

Benji was our least effective player though and I just can't see him fulfilling that role ever again.

Barney McGrew
27-08-2009, 06:40 AM
It was a good solid performance last night, but Brechin were never really going to cause any huge problems. We did get caught out a few times through midfield and at the back that better teams would have exploited.

I thought Stack had a steady game, without much to do. His distrubution in general was good, and he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, but some of his longer kicks were dire IMO.

Cregg was my MOM, and was still chasing players down and winning the ball in injury time in the second half.

Stokes is going to be frightening once he's match fit and sharp. You can see already what him and Deek are going to do to SPL defences this year.

Hibbyradge
27-08-2009, 07:10 AM
It was a good solid performance last night, but Brechin were never really going to cause any huge problems. We did get caught out a few times through midfield and at the back that better teams would have exploited.

I thought Stack had a steady game, without much to do. His distrubution in general was good, and he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, but some of his longer kicks were dire IMO.

Cregg was my MOM, and was still chasing players down and winning the ball in injury time in the second half.

Stokes is going to be frightening once he's match fit and sharp. You can see already what him and Deek are going to do to SPL defences this year.

That's a good point.

They are starting to develop a decent understanding already.

Deek actually looked like he enjoyed playing for a change!

WellingtonHibby
27-08-2009, 09:14 AM
There was a few occassions when Stokes looked at deek as if to say, "pull your finger out, son" when he wanted the pass or if deeks didnt bust a gut to get to the ball. I think having him around might keep Riordan on his toes a bit more....also John Rankin did a power of work, but his first touch was woeful on occasion. Still. Very preofessional performance but no reason to get the bunting out yet.

Action Jackson
27-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Stokes looks a player and I don't think it will be long until he gets on the scoresheet. Wee Hanlon looks good and Derek looks like he is going to score a good few goals this season.

Nice to see Murray back, he will be important for us this season as his versatilty is a huge asset.

johnrebus
27-08-2009, 09:18 AM
There was a few occassions when Stokes looked at deek as if to say, "pull your finger out, son" when he wanted the pass or if deeks didnt bust a gut to get to the ball. I think having him around might keep Riordan on his toes a bit more....also John Rankin did a power of work, but his first touch was woeful on occasion. Still. Very preofessional performance but no reason to get the bunting out yet..

Deek laid at least three gilt edge chances on a plate for Stokes

What more does he want ?

:duck:

:greengrin

Jack
27-08-2009, 09:30 AM
The only thing that concerned me any about last night was that we had 25, seemed like 125, shots on goal and only 3 goals to show for it. That isn’t a very good conversion rate. We’re unlikely to get many attempts in any other games this season and really must do better.

Craig_in_Prague
27-08-2009, 09:34 AM
The only thing that concerned me any about last night was that we had 25, seemed like 125, shots on goal and only 3 goals to show for it. That isn’t a very good conversion rate. We’re unlikely to get many attempts in any other games this season and really must do better.

I'd be more concerned if didn't create chances.

With the striking options now, I have no fears whatsoever about scoring goals.

Once Zemmama is back, feeding stokes and deek. OMG :dizzy:

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Stack ... 6 ... only coz had no much to do, distribution was good

Wotherspoon ... 7 ... Great crossing, but no sure if he is a R back

Hanlon .... 6 .... Passing a bit off at times, great goal though

Hogg ..... 6 .... Not as bad as some make out, but is looking a bit shakey at times.

Murray .... 8 .... A total stroll for him, if only he could play on Sunday.

McBride .... 8 ... Great workrate and always looking for a pass.

Cregg ..... 8 .... Same as McBride

Rankin ..... 7 ..... Great workrate too, passing a wee bit off

Stokes .... 7 ..... Looks the business this guy, would have got an 8 but really should have scored. It will happen though, and a lot.

Benji .... 6 .... Tried to beat too many men too many times and then appeared to lose interest, but I agree that it didnt look like others wanted to give him the ball.

Deeks .... 8.5 .... Looked up for it, 1.5 goals and his passing was as good as I have seen.

Subs .... Stevenson, Byrne and nish all 5 for various reasons.

There were times in the first half that Brechin got into our box too easily. If we let better teams do that we had better score a barrow load at the other end.

P.S.
Sat in the East for the first time in a few years last night. What a total pit !!!
Get it built Rodders.

Dashing Bob S
27-08-2009, 10:09 AM
We never really moved out off first gear last night.

johnrebus
27-08-2009, 10:22 AM
A few points which have'nt been covered.

Good

Every player focused and seeming to know what they were doing.

Midfield still flying into tackles in the ninety third minute.

Kurtis Byrne slotted in like a regular when he came on.

Pass, pass and pass again. no more aimless punts up the park.

Ian Murray was superb.

Bad

Chris Hogg, very poor.

Colin Nish - see above.

John Rankin IMHO had a great game, yet the smallest error from him brings a storm of crititism from the crowd. He does not deserve this.

Would liked to see more of Galbraith, as we should have been getting behind Brechin a lot more.

Overall, Mixu now already seems like a long time ago.......,

:cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Colin Nish - see above.

John Rankin IMHO had a great game, yet the smallest error from him brings a storm of crititism from the crowd. He does not deserve this.

Your comment about Rankin applies to Nish as well. Yet you seem to be one of the Nish haters so think it’s ok? :cool2:

johnrebus
27-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Your comment about Rankin applies to Nish as well. Yet you seem to be one of the Nish haters so think it’s ok? :cool2:

Not at all.

I feel for Colin Nish. He does get stick at times, even if he is playing OK.

Last night he was poor.

However, the one player I will have a go at is Chris Hogg who will rapidly have to get his act together as he is becoming - IMHO - the weak link in the team.

:boo hoo:

The_Todd
27-08-2009, 10:53 AM
A few points which have'nt been covered.

Bad

:cool2:

Couldn't agree more.

Ranks had a great game yesterday.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Last night he was poor.

He missed less chances than Stokes last night. :wink:

I agree with you on Hogg though. Your team is only as strong as the weakest link - unfortunately our weakest links are our captain and our keeper.

Frazerbob
27-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Not at all.

Last night he was poor.

However, the one player I will have a go at is Chris Hogg who will rapidly have to get his act together as he is becoming - IMHO - the weak link in the team.

Which in itself is a good sign. Not so long ago we had several players vying for that accolade. Guys like Morais, Chisolm, Thierry and gash of their ilk. If Hogg is the worst player we have, we’re doing OK IMO.

The_Sauz
27-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Agree with that. Said to the guy next to me after 15 minutes that although Ant and Deek were linking up very well, Benji had got himself in good positions but they never played the ball to him. Even when he set them up, and there was an example when he put Stokes clean through, they were slow to acknowledge his contribution. There was a point in the second half that he was perfectly positioned for a pass in front of goals and again was ignored and he looked over to the bench with "what's the point" gesture.

:top marks
And it seems it's not just the players who treat him as an outsider, there are fans on here who think the same :agree:

The_Sauz
27-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Not at all.

Last night he was poor.

How did you work that one out "Last Night he was poor" :confused:
He was only on for 15mins in a game that was already finished :bitchy:

hibbie02
27-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Amazes me that people on here are saying Cregg "never done much"........he harried, closed down, passed to a man all the time, and basically bossed that midfield.....wonderful signing and him and McBride are the midfield that we lacked last season. Benji, although off the pace, showed that he has the touch and skill that with the Yogi "arm round the shoulder" can come on to a game.........Wotherspoon for me proved what a real talent this boy is.......played in a completely foreign position and in the second half he must have whipped in about four or five crosses which were ripe for a penalty box striker to finish. All in all a very professional job tonight and all the players showed that they wanted the job done. Stokes first touch and skill in the first half was a joy to watch. Second half he dropped wee bit too deep, but what a great player we have signed :thumbsup:

Aye but who was doing all the unseen work? We never seem to hear about that vital part of the game these days. And who was playing the Mattie Jack role as well? Shurely these roles have to be filled before the deadline? Petrie, get it sorted! :agree:

IWasThere2016
27-08-2009, 12:11 PM

:faf: I see a new Hibs.net Shop t-shirt being launched! :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
27-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Quite a few disappointments last night.

Hogg-poor form continues-a decent striker would have scored twice in the first half.

Wotherspoon and Hanlon in the first half (Hanlon particularly)given loads of ball in space and made poor use of it-seldom finding a man in the box-and Hanlon still hasn't learned how dangerous it is to try and take the ball around an opponent in our third of the pitch.

Stokes-could he be the new Gerry Baker-he used to miss them from everywhere-4 sitters last night-good job it was himand not Nish.

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered.I would have liked to see McCormack tried at centre half with a view to Bamba moving forward.

Is there another Scottish player who could score the goal Riordan scored-no wonder he doesn't get a mention for Scotland-far too talented.

Danderhall Hibs
27-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Is there another Scottish player who could score the goal Riordan scored-no wonder he doesn't get a mention for Scotland-far too talented.

:agree: Although McFadden probably could.

ancient hibee
27-08-2009, 01:13 PM
:agree: Although McFadden probably could.
He couldn't get a start last time either.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Hogg-poor form continues-a decent striker would have scored twice in the first half.

Wotherspoon and Hanlon in the first half (Hanlon particularly)given loads of ball in space and made poor use of it-seldom finding a man in the box-and Hanlon still hasn't learned how dangerous it is to try and take the ball around an opponent in our third of the pitch.

Stokes-could he be the new Gerry Baker-he used to miss them from everywhere-4 sitters last night-good job it was himand not Nish.

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered.I would have liked to see McCormack tried at centre half with a view to Bamba moving forward.

I think ancient one, that you are suffering from too long a Hibbyitis same as me.

We have made a really good start to the season, but watching the team as its playing at the moment you cant help but get the feeling that it might all go terribly wrong on Sunday, probably not helped by the teams we have played up to now who were bottom 6 last season or 2nd division.

If selected, will Maka be good or bad ?

Can we cope at the back against top class wingers ?

Will our midfield be over run as it was in the first half at Falkirk ?

Can Ant and Deeks and Nishy score enough goals to nullify any Smeltic might get ?

I think to a lot of us and maybee even Yogi, Sunday is going to be the acid test of just how far we still need to go to become what we want to be.

Having said all that I think we have what it takes to win if everything goes to plan and we have a wee bit of luck. For instance, it would be good to score first.

ancient hibee
27-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I think ancient one, that you are suffering from too long a Hibbyitis same as me.

We have made a really good start to the season, but watching the team as its playing at the moment you cant help but get the feeling that it might all go terribly wrong on Sunday, probably not helped by the teams we have played up to now who were bottom 6 last season or 2nd division.

If selected, will Maka be good or bad ?

Can we cope at the back against top class wingers ?

Will our midfield be over run as it was in the first half at Falkirk ?

Can Ant and Deeks and Nishy score enough goals to nullify any Smeltic might get ?

I think to a lot of us and maybee even Yogi, Sunday is going to be the acid test of just how far we still need to go to become what we want to be.

Having said all that I think we have what it takes to win if everything goes to plan and we have a wee bit of luck. For instance, it would be good to score first.
It's true that long term supporting Hibs and rays of sunshine do not always go together.At least if we go down(and we have been lucky with the fixture list-unlike our neighbours)on Sunday it will be in an entertaining fashion.

TornadoHibby
27-08-2009, 03:30 PM

:top marks That bothered me too! :agree:

BSEJVT
27-08-2009, 03:35 PM

I am sorry but I cant agree with your assessment of Hanlon & Wotherspoon's delivery into the box, I actually thought Wotherspoon's delivery was far better than Whittaker's and with a bit of work Hanlon,who lets not forget is a Centre Half could become a footballer capable of comparison with anyone I have seen playing Left Back for Hibs with the possible exception of David Murphy.

Agree re line up for Sunday would need to be 442

truehibernian
27-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Wotherspoon's delivery certainly second half was top notch and given he is an U-19 player thrust into the first team at a position he is not used to, I think he was superb (albeit Brechin were not much of a test). Hanlon for me seems very tentative going forward yet when he does he is effective. He seemed to be drawn out of position a wee bit first half and was drawn towards the centre of defence a couple of times leaving the flank exposed. But all in all he wanted the ball, never hid, and scored a beautiful goal. Quite harsh to come down heavy on these two youngsters so early in their careers in my opinion. The only way the learn as well is to play against the likes of McGeady, Maloney, Driver and Naismith etc. They will be fine :agree:

TornadoHibby
27-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Wotherspoon's delivery certainly second half was top notch and given he is an U-19 player thrust into the first team at a position he is not used to, I think he was superb (albeit Brechin were not much of a test). Hanlon for me seems very tentative going forward yet when he does he is effective. He seemed to be drawn out of position a wee bit first half and was drawn towards the centre of defence a couple of times leaving the flank exposed. But all in all he wanted the ball, never hid, and scored a beautiful goal. Quite harsh to come down heavy on these two youngsters so early in their careers in my opinion. The only way the learn as well is to play against the likes of McGeady, Maloney, Driver and Naismith etc. They will be fine :agree:

:shocked: What???????? :shocked:

This is :hnet: don't ya know! :wink:

It's the way things get done here! :wink:

For the record I thought that Wotherspoon (again!) looked like a superb player in the making and it won't be long before he's a first team regular IMO! :agree:

Hanlon is also a great prospect but perhaps a bit more deliberate or ponderous at the moment than Wotherspoon! :agree:

Great goal though and with his right foot too! :wink: :thumbsup:

Wakeyhibee
27-08-2009, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=ancient hibee;2149014]

Team set up will never do against Celtic-three similar players in central midfield will get steam rollered. /QUOTE]

I Joked with my son that I thought he had Gary Birtles shirt on last night :greengrin. Nothing went right in the finishing for him. But you can see from his touches and the link up play that goals will come and lots of them he is a class player.

If Yogi plays 4-3-3 I will be amazed. 4-4-2 or even an attacking 4-5-1 with Riordan and Galbraith/Wotherspoon on the wings with the 3 last night in centre mid and Stokes up front.

BTW did anyone else notice Deek, although playing well was getting caught offside loads last night ala Nish?

Taz_hibee
27-08-2009, 05:57 PM
He missed less chances than Stokes last night. :wink:

I agree with you on Hogg though. Your team is only as strong as the weakest link - unfortunately our weakest links are our captain and our keeper.

Did not think Stack was that bad last night :greengrin

frazeHFC
27-08-2009, 06:01 PM
What the hell, i thought Hogg was motm and our best player by far, i must have been at a different game. I thought he was excellant :confused:

fife hfc
27-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Agree. we have to remember he is only 19 years old and still settling into first team football. Last night was fustrating in that we should have hit at least another 5 goals. But we created the chances and the boys were very professional. As for benji I felt he was a bit lost being asked to play on the right of the attack and did not know where he was to be. He was unlucky not to score and had some decent touches but it will take time with him.

Stack 7
Wotherspoon 7
Hanlon 7
Hogg 5
Murray 7
Rankin 7
Cregg 8
Mcbride 7
Benji 6
Riordan 7
Stokes 7

Byrne 4
nish 2
Stevenson 5

hibee_girl
27-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Don't think you can really judge Stack on last night, he didn't really have a great amount to do.

Hogg was awful last night, he just seemed to be all over the place.

Murray started off sluggish, I even txt my Grandad saying Murray looked off the pace and then Murray improved by a long shot :greengrin

Rankin was my MOM last night, he was brilliant, one shot he had in the first half was brilliant, he put such a curve on it.

Deek and Stokes already look to have a great partnership.

The most disappointing thing last night was the fans, just around where I sit I heard Wotherspoon, Hogg, Hanlon, Rankin, Cregg, Stevenson, Deek and Nish all getting abuse.

Darth Hibbie
27-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Don't think you can really judge Stack on last night, he didn't really have a great amount to do.

Murray started off sluggish, I even txt my Grandad saying Murray looked off the pace and then Murray improved by a long shot :greengrin

Rankin was my MOM last night, he was brilliant, one shot he had in the first half was brilliant, he put such a curve on it.

The most disappointing thing last night was the fans, just around where I sit I heard Wotherspoon, Hogg, Hanlon, Rankin, Cregg, Stevenson, Deek and Nish all getting abuse.

I though Rankin was MOM also. The game had just kicked off and some guy shouted F*** Off Rankin you F****** useless B****** :bitchy:

frazeHFC
27-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I though Rankin was MOM also. The game had just kicked off and some guy shouted F*** Off Rankin you F****** useless B****** :bitchy:

Was it in the Famous Five as the guy a few on my right and the guy a few in front moans at everyone

ancient hibee
27-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Surely better to draw attention to failings at the beginning of a career otherwise you end up with someone like DVZ.The deliveries into the box improved as Brechin tired.Criticism should be constructive-for example full backs must try to get to the line and pull the ball back-lobs are a waste of time.Riordan was offside because delivery of the ball was too slow as Benji demonstrated when he in contrast put through a perfectly timed pass for Stokes.Being critical on here-which is just an opinion does not mean that you cannot give the player full support at the game.

benrocky
27-08-2009, 09:27 PM

The idiots that shout abuse at players at the first sign of a miss kick or a slight misshap are just a bunch off w------- ,If they had any idea of the game at all !!!!! do I need to go on