PDA

View Full Version : East stand drawings

Peevemor
26-08-2009, 12:58 PM
... can be viewed here.

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/submissions.do?action=ViewPublicCaseDetails&applicationRef=04/03230/VARY

These were approved as a modification to the existing consent in December 2008.

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/getEdmDoc?docid=54573046&ext=pdf

H18sry
26-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Single tier the by the looks of it :wink:

Peevemor
26-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I've had a wee look.

Unlike the other stands, there will be 4 rows of seats between the vomitoria (tunnels - but I love that word :greengrin) and the pitch, meaning that apart from the stairways, there will be fans the entire length of the touchline. :thumbsup:

It is also exactly the same height as the other 3 stands.

Once the work is done, it'll be beyond question that it's the best football ground outside Glasgow (if it isn't already). :agree:

MacBean
26-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Looks very nice, the one stand looks great, and will hopefully keep in the atmosphere!
one thing i was scared of with the one tier was it looking a bit like that stand in the PBS but with it only ebing 4 seats then its nothing like it!!

heres hoping work starts this season :thumbsup:

Caversham Green
26-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Application made on 1/12/08, approved on 19/12/08.

OK, it's only a variation, but THAT'S what I call a planning application.

Crazyhorse
26-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Have to say I would prefer a two tier stand but if they build that I will be happy enough. Does anyone know what the capacity and cost will be? And also what the total ground capacity will be when complete?

Tha Cabbage Kid
26-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Just looking at the ‘site plan’ and was wondering what was happening with the old turnstile area at the east stand. Presumably if the turnstiles are located at the actual stand there is a lot of space available at the old steps.
It would be nice to have a cool landscaped area where we could put a statue of some old players ie. “The Players court yard” or maybe have some kind of special landmark that the public could see and visit "FREE OF CHARGE OF COURSE".

Peevemor
26-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Have to say I would prefer a two tier stand but if they build that I will be happy enough. Does anyone know what the capacity and cost will be? And also what the total ground capacity will be when complete?

According to Barr's website, the existing 'new' stands are

North 3,700
South 3,700
West 6,500

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14805074/Barr-Stadia

That comes to 13,900. Adding 6,500 for the new East (as stated in the Building Warrant application) gives a total of 20,400. :nerd:

Leithenhibby
26-08-2009, 02:11 PM
The Mutts Nutts by the looks of it :agree: Get it up asap......

Taz_hibee
26-08-2009, 03:29 PM
It says must be started 5 years from original application, any idea when that was.

I got a letter with my ST saying we could be moved to the South once work commences.

Peevemor
26-08-2009, 03:30 PM
It says must be started 5 years from original application, any idea when that was.

I got a letter with my ST saying we could be moved to the South once work commences.

They have to start before February 2010.

CentreLine
26-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I will not accept this as a genuine planning application until I see the boxes. Get it sorted Petrie

RyeSloan
26-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Barring the latest 'you might be moved' comment in the seaso ticket letter (same comment last year) what was the latest word form the club on all of this????

Turnstyles are clearly marked as similar to the West and the area where the current turnstyles are is marked as being surrounded by solid steel fencing....the same as is currently next to the west/north and west/south I presume.

Sloppy
26-08-2009, 03:43 PM
i dont see were the pictures are?:confused:

jgl07
26-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Assuming that the stand seats 6,500 I would guess around £1,500 per seat for a basic stand with few internal facilities.

That would bring the cost to just under £10 million.

I have some inside information from Barr Construction.

They completed a new 10,000 seater stand for Colchester in 2008 at a cost of £14.4 million or £1,440 per seat.

I doubt if costs have risen much over the last couple oif years although Colchester may have slightly lower construction costs than Edinburgh.

jgl07
26-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I will not accept this as a genuine planning application until I see the boxes. Get it sorted Petrie
Hearts have a few to spare!

--------
26-08-2009, 03:57 PM
i dont see were the pictures are?:confused:

Click on the link, and you should get a page 'Case Doc'. Then click on either 'Whole Doc' or 'Thumbnails'. The thumbnails will appear, but quite faint, and the actual drawings take a wee while to develop.

Caught me out as well at first.

Sloppy
26-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Click on the link, and you should get a page 'Case Doc'. Then click on either 'Whole Doc' or 'Thumbnails'. The thumbnails will appear, but quite faint, and the actual drawings take a wee while to develop.

Caught me out as well at first.

then it comes up find or save wht ever i do it dosent work:confused::grr:

RoYO!
26-08-2009, 04:59 PM
how much did the west cost? as that has a higher interior finish than would be required for the east. plus a second level which you would think add a fair bit of expense.

thought it was about £6M.

would be a bit surprised if it was as much as 10M

jonty
26-08-2009, 05:03 PM
then it comes up find or save wht ever i do it dosent work:confused::grr:

You need a PDF reader.
You can download adobe acrobat reader from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Sloppy
26-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Cabbage East
26-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Why, out of interest?

Sylar
26-08-2009, 05:12 PM
So long as the 1 tier is the same height as the other 3, does it really matter?

Golden Bear
26-08-2009, 05:15 PM
So long as the 1 tier is the same height as the other 3, does it really matter?

I think that the rationale may have been that the eastenders will manage to create a better atmosphere in a one tier stand.

jakedance
26-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Just looking at the ‘site plan’ and was wondering what was happening with the old turnstile area at the east stand. Presumably if the turnstiles are located at the actual stand there is a lot of space available at the old steps.
It would be nice to have a cool landscaped area where we could put a statue of some old players ie. “The Players court yard” or maybe have some kind of special landmark that the public could see and visit "FREE OF CHARGE OF COURSE".

I'd love to see something like that or decorative gates, possibly incorporating the symbols from the club badge.

booshsutton
26-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Application made on 1/12/08, approved on 19/12/08.

OK, it's only a variation, but THAT'S what I call a planning application.

I work for an Architecture practice and put in for planning and variations all the time and I wish I could get them through that quick. Maybe the Client applied some pressure :devil:

jonty
26-08-2009, 05:17 PM
no bother :thumbsup:

Can you submit them, then go back to earlier plans? Just wondering if the club are keeping their options open. :dunno:

I'd prefer 2 tier but only because the other 3 are. The 1 tier doesn't look steep enough? It's not quite as bad as murrayfield though!

booshsutton
26-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Assuming that the stand seats 6,500 I would guess around £1,500 per seat for a basic stand with few internal facilities.

They completed a new 10,000 seater stand for Colchester in 2008 at a cost of £14.4 million or £1,440 per seat.

I doubt if costs have risen much over the last couple oif years although Colchester may have slightly lower construction costs than Edinburgh.

£1500 per seat seems a bit on the high side to me! From recent experiance I know that in high end housing you can get a finished house for approx £1200-1500per m2 inc top end kitchens/bathrooms etc. Fella in my Office worked on Celtc park and Hampden so i'll ask him tomorrow and get some ballpark costs, mind they were done a while back!

Drawings look good though, very interesting and a bit different to what I usually deal with

CentreLine
26-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Why, out of interest?

I guess it would make it easier to fill in the corners at some later date if the four stands matched. But no point in worrying about that until Scotland secure the European Championships or something similar.

I am more concerned that the new stand also delivers the full sized international pitch that the original two tier plan allowed for. I like the idea of having a passing team with the room to express themselves every second week and no surprises when they get to big parks, maybe even Hampden more often.

Antifa Hibs
26-08-2009, 05:38 PM

I find it hard to believe that the new East would cost anything near that. Was Colchesters stand just a basic stand or did it have 2 two tiers, resturant and bar facilities etc like our West stand?

The New East is just effectively a shell. As far as I was aware there would be no bar, no resturant, no offices, just a stand with bogs, toilets and a few pie stands and storage cupboards.

Antifa Hibs
26-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I guess it would make it easier to fill in the corners at some later date if the four stands matched. But no point in worrying about that until Scotland secure the European Championships or something similar.

I am more concerned that the new stand also delivers the full sized international pitch that the original two tier plan allowed for. I like the idea of having a passing team with the room to express themselves every second week and no surprises when they get to big parks, maybe even Hampden more often.

I'm 99.9% sure Hibs will account for that. Unlike oor big cousins in Gorgie I don't think Hibs will be having to play our european matches in the future at murrayfield :wink:

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Are the artist impressions of what the one and two tier stands look like, available for the normal fans to see yet, the ones that they showed folk at the meetings?:confused:

Crazyhorse
26-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Why, out of interest?

Reasons why I prefer a 2-tier stand:

Symmetry - I think 2-tiered stands on all 4 sides would be better aesthetically speaking.

Snobbery (sort of) -The PBS is a pathetic little stadium and I don't really want any similarity at all with ER and single-tier stands just seem more 2nd division or something.

Also and I don't want to sound yammish but I had a vision of a 30,000 seat ER someday with the corners filled in and two tiers all the way round and it just sort of connoted proper classy european stadium or something.

But hey I've not been in the east terrace for years and if people who prefer it want a single-tier stand then I'm not bothered really. However I think the atmosphere is generated by standing and sitting in a single-tier stand will affect it almost as much as a 2-tier one.

Brando7
26-08-2009, 09:46 PM
... can be viewed here.

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/submissions.do?action=ViewPublicCaseDetails&applicationRef=04/03230/VARY

These were approved as a modification to the existing consent in December 2008.

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/portal/getEdmDoc?docid=54573046&ext=pdf

Am i the only one that cant open these documents :confused:

jgl07
26-08-2009, 09:51 PM
how much did the west cost? as that has a higher interior finish than would be required for the east. plus a second level which you would think add a fair bit of expense.

thought it was about £6M.

would be a bit surprised if it was as much as 10M
The West Stand cost £7.5 million according to my contact with Barr Construction.

RoYO!
26-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Are the artist impressions of what the one and two tier stands look like, available for the normal fans to see yet, the ones that they showed folk at the meetings?:confused:

ive never seen them, but theres a few mock ups on the Artists Impressions, how many exist? (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=153002) thread, in the east stand consultation forum section

jgl07
26-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that the new East would cost anything near that. Was Colchesters stand just a basic stand or did it have 2 two tiers, resturant and bar facilities etc like our West stand?

The New East is just effectively a shell. As far as I was aware there would be no bar, no resturant, no offices, just a stand with bogs, toilets and a few pie stands and storage cupboards.
The Colchester development was a complete stadium single tier with community facilities (probably basic).

I usnderstand that the Falkirk main stand cost £2,000 per seat when it was built four to five years ago. The West stand at Easter Road cost £1,150 per seat nine years ago. OK both would have been fitted out extensively.

The North Stand at East Road cost an incredible £1,280 per seat in 1995.

Complete stadiums tend to be cheaper per seat than individual stands. This might be down to timing.

The work will normally start in January and require completion by mid-July. It will also include demolition, site preparation. Construction within an operational football stadium to a tight deadline with overtime payments will all add to the cost.

Building magazine gives indicative costs of £1,000 to £1,700 per seat for a Regional Stadium (ie like Easter Road) (2004 prices).

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=113&storycode=3036931&c=3

I guess if the stand is very basic it might come in at the lower end of the range but will be surprised if the costs comes much below £8 million. That is unless Hibs have lined up a contractor who is really desperate for work!

MyJo
26-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Reasons why I prefer a 2-tier stand:

Symmetry - I think 2-tiered stands on all 4 sides would be better aesthetically speaking.

I think a "wall" of fans leering over the pitch creating an intimidating atmosphere would look much better and be more intimidating to opposition players from pitch level the two tier west stand doesn't really have the same effect.

Snobbery (sort of) -The PBS is a pathetic little stadium and I don't really want any similarity at all with ER and single-tier stands just seem more 2nd division or something.

dont tell that to Liverpool (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1027782488_4ca6365060.jpg?v=0) or Charlton (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/The_Valley_East_Stand.jpg) or Portsmouth (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2980157044_0fea5323bd.jpg?v=0) or Reading (http://www.worldstadia.com/data/images/t/m/tmxc040831112526.jpg) or Sheffield United (http://www.sufc.co.uk/javaImages/3e/bc/0,,10418%7E5553214,00.jpg) or Wigan (http://www.stadiumguide.com/jjb1.jpg) or Wolves (http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8146337511/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/09/11/northbank.jpg) or Villareal (http://www.gunnerblog.com/images/madrigal.jpg) or AZ Alkmaar (http://www.stadiumguide.com/dsb3.jpg) or Borrusia Dortmund (http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/1328384.jpg) :greengrin

Also and I don't want to sound yammish but I had a vision of a 30,000 seat ER someday with the corners filled in and two tiers all the way round and it just sort of connoted proper classy european stadium or something.

It would be practically impossible to fill the North/West and South/East corners due to the design of the north & south stands and the available land and roads around those areas.

But hey I've not been in the east terrace for years and if people who prefer it want a single-tier stand then I'm not bothered really. However I think the atmosphere is generated by standing and sitting in a single-tier stand will affect it almost as much as a 2-tier one.

true, but if you have all the people who want to sing sitting in the same stand (which is likely to happen if those who sit in the west for the views but get shouted down for singing shift back over the the east when its upgraded) then the atmosphere will be generated........and who said anything about sitting anyway, the east stand will be bouncing :greengrin

LamontHFC©
26-08-2009, 11:13 PM
According to Barr's website, the existing 'new' stands are

North 3,700
South 3,700
West 6,500

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14805074/Barr-Stadia

That comes to 13,900. Adding 6,500 for the new East (as stated in the Building Warrant application) gives a total of 20,400. :nerd:

I've played at one of those mentioned stadia. :wink:

Crazyhorse
26-08-2009, 11:34 PM
MyJo you make some good points and Dortmund have one of the great stadiums but i haven't changed my mind about ER. I have to say that single tier stands behind the goals can look fairly good and the best of those stadiums you list have that.

booshsutton
27-08-2009, 12:31 AM
The Colchester development was a complete stadium single tier with community facilities (probably basic).

I usnderstand that the Falkirk main stand cost £2,000 per seat when it was built four to five years ago. The West stand at Easter Road cost £1,150 per seat nine years ago. OK both would have been fitted out extensively.

The North Stand at East Road cost an incredible £1,280 per seat in 1995.

Complete stadiums tend to be cheaper per seat than individual stands. This might be down to timing.

The work will normally start in January and require completion by mid-July. It will also include demolition, site preparation. Construction within an operational football stadium to a tight deadline with overtime payments will all add to the cost.

Building magazine gives indicative costs of £1,000 to £1,700 per seat for a Regional Stadium (ie like Easter Road) (2004 prices).

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=113&storycode=3036931&c=3

I guess if the stand is very basic it might come in at the lower end of the range but will be surprised if the costs comes much below £8 million. That is unless Hibs have lined up a contractor who is really desperate for work!

Well I stand corrected, maybe the costs will be up at the level you quote. Building Magazine are usually fairly good with this sort of stuff so the costs they quote should be fairly accurate (although £1000 to £1700 is a fairly large swing in costs?)

The stadium that always shocks me in terms of costs is the millenium stadium in Cardiff, pretty sure the whole thing cost £80million. compare that to the costs of the new wembley or emirates and it's only a fraction of the costs. can anyone explain why?

jgl07
27-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Well I stand corrected, maybe the costs will be up at the level you quote. Building Magazine are usually fairly good with this sort of stuff so the costs they quote should be fairly accurate (although £1000 to £1700 is a fairly large swing in costs?)
The upper end would be a fully equiped stand with changing rooms and corporate facitlies. The lower range would be a shell.

The stadium that always shocks me in terms of costs is the millenium stadium in Cardiff, pretty sure the whole thing cost £80million. compare that to the costs of the new wembley or emirates and it's only a fraction of the costs. can anyone explain why?
It was built ten years ago? Costs have risen by around 80% over that period.

The costs of construction in South Wales will be lower than in central London by around 20%.

Also the contractor John Laing copped a packet on the Millenium Stadium and actually went bust because of the losses incurred. They were taken over by Ray O'Rourke to form Laing O'Rourke.

Barrylavety
27-08-2009, 09:50 AM

exactly :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2009, 10:36 AM
As far as I know building firms are struggling for work and the price of steel has dropped a lot in the last year or so. Whenever Hibs mention the West they always seem to come out with £6,000,000 as the build cost.

Taking into account everything in the west, the east should cost about 6 or 7 million at todays prices I would have thought.

I know from the meetings at Easter Road a year ago that Hibs prefer the single tier option because "it will cost £100,000 a year less to police". They also said that UEFA gave them a break the last time we were in the UEFA cup because the pitch is too narrow, the seats in the east dont have backs and the floodlighting on that side of the ground is too dim.

If we do make the UEFA cup next year does anyone fancy another trip to Murrayfield ?

If the new stand had a capacity of 6000 instead of 6500 ER would have a capacity of of 19900 when finished. Thats 16200 for home supporters, more than enough IMO.

Heres a thought too:

Taking into account that all of the extra seats will be for home supporters and we dont always sell these out with the current capacity even in cat 'A' matches. I can see the tach giving over the south end of the west, or even worse the east, to away supporters when the Yams or ugly sisters come calling. It would make financial sense.

But who wants that :bitchy:

Finally. I sat in the East last night and it is still the pit I remember.

You cant see the top corner of the pitch.
You cant see all of the goals depending where you are sitting.
The space between rows is so tight you risk falling into someones Bovril when you go to the bog.
When you do get to the bog its like a trip back to the 70s.

Antifa Hibs
27-08-2009, 10:49 AM
As far as I know building firms are struggling for work and the price of steel has dropped a lot in the last year or so. Whenever Hibs mention the West they always seem to come out with £6,000,000 as the build cost.

Taking into account everything in the west, the east should cost about 6 or 7 million at todays prices I would have thought.

I know from the meetings at Easter Road a year ago that Hibs prefer the single tier option because "it will cost £100,000 a year less to police". They also said that UEFA gave them a break the last time we were in the UEFA cup because the pitch is too narrow, the seats in the east dont have backs and the floodlighting on that side of the ground is too dim.

If we do make the UEFA cup next year does anyone fancy another trip to Murrayfield ?

If the new stand had a capacity of 6000 instead of 6500 ER would have a capacity of of 19900 when finished. Thats 16200 for home supporters, more than enough IMO.

Heres a thought too:

Taking into account that all of the extra seats will be for home supporters and we dont always sell these out with the current capacity even in cat 'A' matches. I can see the tach giving over the south end of the west, or even worse the east, to away supporters when the Yams or ugly sisters come calling. It would make financial sense.

But who wants that :bitchy:

Finally. I sat in the East last night and it is still the pit I remember.

You cant see the top corner of the pitch.
You cant see all of the goals depending where you are sitting.
The space between rows is so tight you risk falling into someones Bovril when you go to the bog.
When you do get to the bog its like a trip back to the 70s.

I was in the Famous Five last night and from there you just realise how bad the East looks compared to the rest of the ground. I'll miss it when it goes but when the new stand goes up its gonna look the bollocks. All we need now is a couple of big screens like what Celtic park and Hampden has and a few of those fancy scoreboards like what they have at Ibrox :agree: :greengrin

Regarding giving more seats to the OF, I don't think it will happen, there'll be season ticket holders in all areas the West who won't be happy about giving there seats to the Weegies. Saying that though, if our fans can't get off there ***** and go along and support the team, then its our (well there) faults, and will selling an extra 1000 tickets at £26 a pop be a bad thing, extra £100k per year.

Ritchie
27-08-2009, 11:11 AM
the east is fine the way it is.... just needs a lick of paint. :devil:

Antifa Hibs
27-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Here's my (poor) take on Rayo's design. Disabled section at the far end, entrances moved up four rows and walkway added right along

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5940/neweast.jpg

blackpoolhibs
27-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I was in the east for the st mirren game, and i have to say it is awful. You have to stand on the seats to see any of the game, even then you cant see the corner flag, you cant see some of the pitch for the pillars, and the bogs are terrible. It needs bringing up to this century, and the one tier stand looks great, just the job. I hope its started and finished for the start of next season.:thumbsup:

MyJo
27-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Here's my (poor) take on Rayo's design. Disabled section at the far end, entrances moved up four rows and walkway added right along

i think thats pretty much bang on the money for what its gonna look like except it isn't gonna be as close to the FF & South stands as that due to the widening of the pitch.

good job:thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Pretty well bang on mate from what I saw at the meetings. The Hibs drawings looked even better.

Bobo
27-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Pretty well bang on mate from what I saw at the meetings.

I'd agree, pretty much like what I remember too.

Will be interesting though to see if they still go ahead with the proposed open concourse at the back or if they'll spend that little bit more to finish it off the same as the three other stands :agree:

BoltonHibee
27-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Will the camera and commentry gantry remain in the East?

RoYO!
27-08-2009, 04:23 PM

btw it RoYO! :wink:

cant wait to see the real thing, lets get it built hibs :thumbsup:

RoYO!
27-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Will the camera and commentry gantry remain in the East?

ye think its in the plans

HibeesLA
27-08-2009, 05:26 PM
ye think its in the plans

The plans showed 2 camera positions at the back of the stand, and I believe at least 2 camera positions down at the front of the stand.

Also, that parcel of land that is marked off between the East and FF stand would be ripe for the corner being filled in :thumbsup:

Brando7
27-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Would have preferred the east to be a 2 tier stand since the other 3 are 2 tier but u cant please everyone :greengrin

NYHibby
28-08-2009, 05:21 AM
What is being built on the left (FF) side in the first couple of rows and isn't on the right hand side? Is it some sort of disabled seating section?

Peevemor
28-08-2009, 06:03 AM
What is being built on the left (FF) side in the first couple of rows and isn't on the right hand side? Is it some sort of disabled seating section?

:agree: 16 (IIRC) wheelchair spaces.

Mr T
28-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I wonder if there will be some sort of fence at the front of the new stand to prevent numpties running on the pitch, similar to what we have now?

Sprouleflyer
28-08-2009, 08:58 AM
The plans showed 2 camera positions at the back of the stand, and I believe at least 2 camera positions down at the front of the stand.

Also, that parcel of land that is marked off between the East and FF stand would be ripe for the corner being filled in :thumbsup:

Maybe a hotel and retail complex, how much would that cost :hmmm: :greengrin

matty_f
28-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Looks good. The photo is taken from not far from where my seat is.:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Just realised mate. You had better move the goals a bit to the right or we will get chucked oot the league :greengrin

On a more serious note I hope that they dont widen the pitch so much that it leaves huge unfilled corner gaps between the new east the ff and the south.

The only huge gaps footy fans like at their stadiums are the ones in the opposition defense.

:greengrin