PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts?

Billy
25-08-2009, 08:41 PM
A good few years ago I got my eldest daughter a season ticket next to my seat and we would go and watch games. As teenagers do, she eventually decided that weekends were for sleeping!!:zzzzz!: :grr:

Instead of giving up the seats, I gave them to a friend and she and her kid then took the seats. Due to them being a single parent family and money being tight, when the re-newel form came through I just renewed and let them keep the seats. This season however I have just bought a new house etc so decided that I wouldn’t keep up the seats due to shelling out a good few quid already and her kid now being eligible for full adult price. Obviously they are disappointed but understand. I then asked her tonight would the payment plan not have been an option for them but she said that again it was down to budgeting of her finances….fair enough.

I asked her what she would do if she was in charge of the club. How would she help fans in her position who would love to have a season ticket but cannot afford to and her reply was that, she didn’t have a clue.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to a Canadian Arab friend of mine and mentioned to him about businesses who donate a few season ticket books to help out underprivileged kids/families and he took this to the Dundee United board and “United for Kids” was born. The only difference is that it is general everyday fans who donate funds and the club then issue the season ticket books via Dundee council and they in turn distribute the tickets to the needy. I myself have donated to their appeal over the last couple of years. However, could this be something that we as a Hibs support could do? Maybe even via one of the Hibernian messageboards? Has it been done before? If you were in charge would you have a different initiative to enable those who want to buy a season ticket book being able to get one?

Just speaking to her tonight has made me realise that there must be more people than her out there who would love to be able to get to Easter Road to watch the team, maybe even for a bit of respite or just to get away from thing’s for a few hours. Is there anyone on these boards who would love to get to games for any of the reasons mentioned but at present cannot do this?

cammy1969
25-08-2009, 08:46 PM
A good few years ago I got my eldest daughter a season ticket next to my seat and we would go and watch games. As teenagers do, she eventually decided that weekends were for sleeping!!:zzzzz!: :grr:

Instead of giving up the seats, I gave them to a friend and she and her kid then took the seats. Due to them being a single parent family and money being tight, when the re-newel form came through I just renewed and let them keep the seats. This season however I have just bought a new house etc so decided that I wouldn’t keep up the seats due to shelling out a good few quid already and her kid now being eligible for full adult price. Obviously they are disappointed but understand. I then asked her tonight would the payment plan not have been an option for them but she said that again it was down to budgeting of her finances….fair enough.

I asked her what she would do if she was in charge of the club. How would she help fans in her position who would love to have a season ticket but cannot afford to and her reply was that, she didn’t have a clue.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to a Canadian Arab friend of mine and mentioned to him about businesses who donate a few season ticket books to help out underprivileged kids/families and he took this to the Dundee United board and “United for Kids” was born. The only difference is that it is general everyday fans who donate funds and the club then issue the season ticket books via Dundee council and they in turn distribute the tickets to the needy. I myself have donated to their appeal over the last couple of years. However, could this be something that we as a Hibs support could do? Maybe even via one of the Hibernian messageboards? Has it been done before? If you were in charge would you have a different initiative to enable those who want to buy a season ticket book being able to get one?

Just speaking to her tonight has made me realise that there must be more people than her out there who would love to be able to get to Easter Road to watch the team, maybe even for a bit of respite or just to get away from thing’s for a few hours. Is there anyone on these boards who would love to get to games for any of the reasons mentioned but at present cannot do this?
im not 100% sure billy but i think hibs have something like that in place maybe someone close to the club can confirm it but i could be wrong

Billy
25-08-2009, 08:50 PM
im not 100% sure billy but i think hibs have something like that in place maybe someone close to the club can confirm it but i could be wrong

I did think that there was something a few years ago Cammy but didn't know if it was company sponsorship or fan sponsorship.

Thanks for the response.:thumbsup:

matty_f
25-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Great idea Billy:thumbsup:

IMHO, it works on loads of levels - more folk through the turnstiles means more money for the club.
More people getting the chance to see Hibs, grows the support base - means more money for the club and a bigger presence through the city,
Scheme raises the profile of the club, increases the community involvement, and raises the 'Hibernian Family' brand.
People who would love to go to the games but can't, get the opportunity to go.
Particularly for disadvantaged kids, this has the potential to be something really positive in their lives.

I would imagine that there are more than a few Hibs fans that would be willing to contribute when they have the money available.

:top marks for the post, mate.

VegasHibby
26-08-2009, 01:16 AM

It is a good idea the problem is alot more people would abuse the programme. So it would be hard to determine who deserves the ticket and who doesn't. After all we're ALL under privileged :greengrin
Volunteering your services to Easter Rd like cleaning/admin work or whatever would be another good way for people who are financially challenged to get season tickets. The club would also save money having volunteers to do some of the work.....

hibbiedon
26-08-2009, 06:21 AM
ts called " Kicks for Kids " started several years ago

PeeKay
26-08-2009, 07:07 AM
ts called " Kicks for Kids " started several years ago

Do you know how punters can go about making a contribution?

hibbiedon
26-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Do you know how punters can go about making a contribution?
Businesses & local celebrities buy season tickets and donate them, these seats are then allocated to local charities and wothy cases on a weekly basis.

hibbiedon
26-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Businesses & local celebrities buy season tickets and donate them, these seats are then allocated to local charities and wothy cases on a weekly basis.

http://sport.scotsman.com/top-stories/Powell-looks-to-boost-Hibs.2439084.jp

Beefster
26-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Ignoring the fact that Hibs seem to have an official scheme for kids...

While I think the sentiment is great, how do you decide who is deserving? Do folk who spend money on smoking, drinking or having Sky TV rather than taking their kid(s) to ER deserve it?

I know people who properly sacrifice in other areas to be able to afford STs. I'd love them to get help but then, as they can afford it by not having any other luxuries, do they need help?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but...

johnbc70
26-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Ignoring the fact that Hibs seem to have an official scheme for kids...

While I think the sentiment is great, how do you decide who is deserving? Do folk who spend money on smoking, drinking or having Sky TV rather than taking their kid(s) to ER deserve it?

I know people who properly sacrifice in other areas to be able to afford STs. I'd love them to get help but then, as they can afford it by not having any other luxuries, do they need help?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but...

It is not harsh, but a valid point. There are of course some very genuine cases of real hardship where people cannot afford to attend games either via a ST or on a week by week basis.

Great idea and think it has some merit, but very difficult to administer but as beefster says you would get people claiming the tickets who I bet still manage to afford to smoke a pack of cigs a day and pay £50 a month for their SKY TV.

I would suggest Hibs allocate tickets to local schools and then there is no picking and choosing who gets the tickets on personal circumstances. For example a home game against Hamilton, not exactly a huge attraction but give out 2,000 free tickets to local schools. Even if only 1% of kids decide they want to come back to the next home game then that is 20 more supporters we never had before. I dont think we do enough to get kids into games, surely having kids in the seats is better than empty seats.

Hibercelona
26-08-2009, 08:40 AM
It is not harsh, but a valid point. There are of course some very genuine cases of real hardship where people cannot afford to attend games either via a ST or on a week by week basis.

Great idea and think it has some merit, but very difficult to administer but as beefster says you would get people claiming the tickets who I bet still manage to afford to smoke a pack of cigs a day and pay £50 a month for their SKY TV.

I would suggest Hibs allocate tickets to local schools and then there is no picking and choosing who gets the tickets on personal circumstances. For example a home game against Hamilton, not exactly a huge attraction but give out 2,000 free tickets to local schools. Even if only 1% of kids decide they want to come back to the next home game then that is 20 more supporters we never had before. I dont think we do enough to get kids into games, surely having kids in the seats is better than empty seats.

Exactly!

There is no need for there to be empty seats at ER IMO.

More should be done at the club to get these empty seats filled up.

More could be done.

Billy
26-08-2009, 10:05 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/top-stories/Powell-looks-to-boost-Hibs.2439084.jp

Thanks for the link, I was sure that I had read/heard that story and was not going mad :greengrin.

MrSmith
26-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Exactly!

There is no need for there to be empty seats at ER IMO.

More should be done at the club to get these empty seats filled up.

More could be done.

Yes agree! :top marks

Perhaps an 'Hibernian for families' initiative? this would greatly assist in filling empty seating while enhancing relations between club and disadvantaged fans which in turn would give most/all fans the 'feel good' factor and the stadium a superb atmosphere and, would go a long way in addressing local and national poverty on this level.

even if 5000 of us paid £2 per month the math would make for some very good reading and results for our brothers and sisters associated with our great club.

Billy
26-08-2009, 12:18 PM
She obviously had a think about it last night and she has said that if the club were to allow her or other fans to buy half season tickets now but being able to pay for it via monthly instalments as they did with full season tickets, then she would be able to afford it for her kid and give it to her as a christmas present.

Some good ideas being put forward on this thread :thumbsup: