PDA

View Full Version : stokes fee is a snip at half the price

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 05:06 PM
my accountant who has contacts at the stadium of light has just informed me of the fee stokes moved on for and i think it will be re-paid 10 fold :wink:

stevenhibs
25-08-2009, 05:10 PM
my accountant who has contacts at the stadium of light has just informed me of the fee stokes moved on for and i think it will be re-paid 10 fold :wink:

Eh.... What? I can't be the only one. Can I?

Hibs90
25-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Eh.... What? I can't be the only one. Can I?

I dont get it either.

Sean1875
25-08-2009, 05:13 PM
geez a clue? :wink:

Hibee87
25-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I think he means we got him at a tenth of his value. i.e we paid 200,000 and he thinks we will sell for 2 million (just as an example)

steviehfc
25-08-2009, 05:16 PM
my accountant who has contacts at the stadium of light has just informed me of the fee stokes moved on for and i think it will be re-paid 10 fold :wink:So what was it then???

stevenhibs
25-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I think he means we got him at a tenth of his value. i.e we paid 200,000 and he thinks we will sell for 2 million (just as an example)

Ahhhh! would make sense. Doesn't help that I'm thick as a dockers piece right enough!

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 05:24 PM
So what was it then???

thought it wouldn't take long

now sit down get a bevvy and read the deal was 1m rising to 1.5m on goals and all the usual:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
i told him to stop winding me up and he said it was gospel and was sad to see him go as he thought he had great potential :thumbsup::thumbsup:

this guy doesn't lie he is as straight they come

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

Hibee87
25-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Ahhhh! would make sense. Doesn't help that I'm thick as a dockers piece right enough!

Well i just noticed it says on yoru avator your form the 'DALE' so ill let you off :faf::faf: only joking mate :devil::thumbsup:

Hibs90
25-08-2009, 05:27 PM

now sit down get a bevvy and read the deal was 1m rising to 1.5m on goals and all the usual:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
i told him to stop winding me up and he said it was gospel and was sad to see him go as he thought he had great potential :thumbsup::thumbsup:

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

:confused::greengrin

Woody1985
25-08-2009, 05:35 PM
What a ******ed thread.

What's the thread title all about? Got him at half the price....

steviehfc
25-08-2009, 05:37 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trustSo if the fee will be re-paid 10 fold that means 10-15 million quid, i applaud your optimism....but seriously WTF.

RoxburghHibs
25-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Slightly off topic but I've never understood the meaning of the phrase

"Cheap at half the price"

I mean clearly it would be cheap at half the price :greengrin

Brooster
25-08-2009, 05:41 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

Aye right.

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 05:45 PM
So if the fee will be re-paid 10 fold that means 10-15 million quid, i applaud your optimism....but seriously WTF.

broon to spurs for 10-14m you never know :wink::wink:
ma mate said a lot of maccams are raging so lets see :lips seal

Hibs90
25-08-2009, 05:49 PM
broon to spurs for 10-14m you never know :wink::wink:
ma mate said a lot of maccams are raging so lets see :lips seal

I was on the ReadyToGo Sunderland forums the other night and there was not one thread on the subject. Don't think they are too bothered.

Edinburgh Green
25-08-2009, 05:51 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

Ok firstly, that is pure nade.
Secondly, what price did you think we paid considering that you think that 1-1.5m is cheap?
Thirdly, if you think we'll sell him for 10-15m you are so wired to the moon you could bottle your pish and sell it to ravers.

steviehfc
25-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Secondly, what price did you think we paid considering that you think that 1-1.5m is cheap?
Thirdly, if you think we'll sell him for 10-15m you are so wired to the moon you could bottle your nade and sell it to ravers.:greengrin :agree:

Row H
25-08-2009, 05:58 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

This could be one for the Vault.

Woody1985
25-08-2009, 06:06 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

I love it when this phrase is used to represent the exact truth. The irony being that it's taken from a book full of myths and fairytales. :LOL:

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:12 PM
]Ok firstly, that is pure nade.[/B]
Thirdly, if you think we'll sell him for 10-15m you are so wired to the moon you could bottle your nade and sell it to ravers.

very scottyboy forgot you have this thing for nade but seriously the statement i made IT WILL BE PAID BACK 10 FOLD WAS IN REFERENCE TO HIS GOALS = POINTS =SUCCESSFULL SEASON =BUMS ON SEATS=MONEY IN THE BANK =FUTURE SIGNINGS= MORE BUMS ON SEATS =THEN PROBABLY SOLD TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER

MY GLASS IS HALF FULL
NOT
HALF EMPTY :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::y awn::yawn::yawn:

Hibs90
25-08-2009, 06:14 PM
[/B]

very scottyboy forgot you have this thing for nade but seriously the statement i made IT WILL BE PAID BACK 10 FOLD WAS IN REFERENCE TO HIS GOALS = POINTS =SUCCESSFULL SEASON =BUMS ON SEATS=MONEY IN THE BANK =FUTURE SIGNINGS= MORE BUMS ON SEATS =THEN PROBABLY SOLD TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER

MY GLASS IS HALF FULL
NOT
HALF EMPTY :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::y awn::yawn:

:faf:

nonshinyfinish
25-08-2009, 06:21 PM

That's because the expression is 'cheap at twice the price'.

I'll have some of whatever the OP is dropping. :dizzy:

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:28 PM

I'll have some of whatever the OP is dropping. :dizzy:

I'LL HAVE 1 OFF THEM THAT YOUR SKINNING UP NEVER HEARD YOUR EXPRESSION BEFORE IN MY LIFE DO THEY SELL WASHING MACHINES OR
TRAINERS OR BURGERS ON YOUR PLANET
:dunno::dunno::dunno:

ancient hibee
25-08-2009, 06:29 PM
:greengrin

Not if it was grossly overpriced in the first place.:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2009, 06:33 PM

:

Not according to this baby....http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cheap-at-half-the%20-price.html

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Not if it was grossly overpriced in the first place.:greengrin

I THINK HE WILL PROVE THAT HE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY
AND MORE BUT HEY MAYBE I AM THE ONLY ONE ON HERE
THAT THINKS THAT

THOUGHT WE LEFT DOOM N GLOOM TO THE YAMS
:jamboak:

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Not according to this baby....http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cheap-at-half-the%20-price.html

THANK-YOU CROPLEY:top marks

ancient hibee
25-08-2009, 06:39 PM
THAT THINKS THAT

If you don't understand a post suggest respectfully that you don't make a comment on it and particularly don't cast aspersions.

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2009, 06:42 PM
THANK-YOU CROPLEY:top marks

Don't thank me. Thank the man who invented the CAPS LOCK button on your keyboard. :greengrin

However, I would also suggest that your accountant's sense of confidentiality might be a tad flawed.

Sean1875
25-08-2009, 06:42 PM
THAT THINKS THAT

you must be new to the board if thats what you think... :wink:

MSK
25-08-2009, 06:43 PM
THAT THINKS THAT

:jamboak:Please stop posting in capitals !!!! :grr:

SunshineOnLeith
25-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Your caps lock key is broken.

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:46 PM
If you don't understand a post suggest respectfully that you don't make a comment on it and particularly don't cast aspersions.

WAS NOT CASTING ANYTHING JUST BACKING MY OP
DIDN'T WANT TO START ANY ARGUEMENTS BUT SOME PEOPLE
JUST SEEM HELL BENT ON IT

NOT YOU THO ANCIENT HIBEE RESPECT:not worth

ancient hibee
25-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Get your capitals fixation fixed.

MSK
25-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Please stop posting in capitals !!!! :grr::rolleyes:

manx hibee
25-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Your caps lock key is broken.

is that better:wink: sorry

SunshineOnLeith
25-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Is that better? :wink: Sorry.

Fixed.

ArabHibee
25-08-2009, 07:01 PM
FFS Manx - WHAT'S ALL THE SHOUTING ABOUT?
:bitchy:

Houchy
25-08-2009, 07:03 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

What, so we are going to benefit to the tune of £15m in 2 years? Is he getting us automatic qualification to the Champions League or summit?

nonshinyfinish
25-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Yes, but the OP is (I think) saying that Stokes was a bargain, so the expression he wants is indeed 'cheap at twice the price'.

GC
25-08-2009, 07:12 PM
We have a new pet by the sounds of things!

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes, but the OP is (I think) saying that Stokes was a bargain, so the expression he wants is indeed 'cheap at twice the price'.

M'lud, I direct you to exhibit two...

2. It was never intended to be taken seriously and is a pun on the meaningful phrase 'cheap at twice the price', intended either humorously or in order to deceive.

Irony, albeit unintentional, I would submit.

nonshinyfinish
25-08-2009, 07:18 PM
M'lud, I direct you to exhibit two...

2. It was never intended to be taken seriously and is a pun on the meaningful phrase 'cheap at twice the price', intended either humorously or in order to deceive.

Irony, albeit unintentional, I would submit.

Your honour, council for the prosecution is badgering the witness!

CropleyWasGod
25-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Your honour, council for the prosecution is badgering the witness!

Your honour, the witness canny spell counsel.... and he'll take a badgering when he's telt.

nonshinyfinish
25-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Your honour, the witness canny spell counsel.... and he'll take a badgering when he's telt.

:hilarious

:top marks

One Day Soon
25-08-2009, 07:27 PM
This could be one for the Vault.

I think you mean Manx could be one who needs locked up in a vault.

Beefster
25-08-2009, 07:31 PM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

If Hibs paid over a million for Stokes, I'll eat a tramp's pants for charity. That's how confident I am that they didn't.

Note: nothing in this post is binding - if necessary, I may just pretend a bad man logged onto my account and posted it.

BEEJ
25-08-2009, 10:21 PM
If Hibs paid over a million for Stokes, I'll eat a tramp's pants for charity. That's how confident I am that they didn't.

Note: nothing in this post is binding - if necessary, I may just pretend a bad man logged onto my account and posted it.
Mmmm! Lightly grilled and with a squeeze of lemon juice, perhaps?

Brando7
25-08-2009, 10:25 PM
i think they have got him cheap but sunderland might agreed to this with a sell on clause written in

HibsMax
25-08-2009, 10:34 PM
you do realise that at half the price it would be a snip? Perhaps you meant it would be a snip even at twice the price? :)

poolman
26-08-2009, 05:31 AM

in the tache we trust
in yogi we trust

:faf: I can just imagine the Tache's face writing a cheque for a million then Stokesey banging in a few goals then getting asked for another half million

:bye:

Judas Iscariot
26-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Contacts at Sunderland..

Random nonsensical posts and posting..

Strange use of capitals..

Can't be the fabulous "Slipper Boy" again can it?!

:cool2:

Houchy
26-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Contacts at Sunderland..

RIP
26-08-2009, 06:28 AM
:hmmm:
Contacts at Sunderland..

Lives in the Isle of man yet close ties with a Sunderland accountant?

Or is Manx a funny for "Manks" aka Hobo, Junkie, Peg-Seller?

brog
26-08-2009, 08:53 AM
There have been no reports of Rod being rushed to the Royal with a coronary or suddenly having been admitted to one of our esteemed psychiatric establishments. I'm afraid therefore talk of us having forked out a million for Stokesy is up there with Reyes on loan & Jordi on the 26 bus, my personal 2 favs!
Mind you the guy on Celtc forum the other day who said he was in the club shop & they were ironing Nish ( the name that is :wink: ) on to the back of a hooped top was a classic! Why do people make this !!!! up?

CRAZYHIBBY
26-08-2009, 09:00 AM
according to my aunties escaped budgie who flys around the stadium of light , we signed him on friday and he cost us money

Gingertosser
26-08-2009, 11:02 AM
According to the local rag in Sunderland, we paid LESS THAN 10% of the £2m Sunderland paid for him.
Steve 'Baw Heid' Bruce just wanted him off the wage bill.
Add a nice signing on fee from Hibs (to offset drastically reduced wages), and it will probably be in the region of £400k.

Link to rag is somewhere on the Bounce if anyone is interested.

Ritchie
26-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Thirdly, if you think we'll sell him for 10-15m you are so wired to the moon you could bottle your nade and sell it to ravers.

:faf::faf:

Jack
26-08-2009, 12:22 PM
According to the local rag in Sunderland, we paid LESS THAN 10% of the £2m Sunderland paid for him.
Add a nice signing on fee from Hibs (to offset drastically reduced wages), and it will probably be in the region of £400k.

As a Bouncer and Netter I have seen that post, although couldn't remember where, which mentions that article, although I couldn't remember there being a link. However I couldn't find it again and a Goggle search didn't bring up the article when I wanted to post on this thread earlier.

I’m more inclined to believe ‘we paid less than 10% of the £2m’ with all the extra add ons than I am to believe we spent more than a million, in fact anywhere near a million, on one single player, particularly in today's transfer market.

Anyone else think I’m using too many commas instead of .’s. I think, although I could be wrong, it’s a bad habit I’m getting in to, maybe not.

Keith_M
26-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Anyway, back to the important point of this thread.

I've used, and have heard others use, the expression "cheap at half the price" as a term meant to imply a false bargain. As in 'it would have been cheap at half the price (but unfortunately it wasn't, therefore isn't)'.

This implies to me the OP think's Rod was ripped off in this deal.

Highly unlikely!

brog
26-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Now that I can believe!

MrRobot
26-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Who cares about the price ? We got him and that's all that matters. :thumbsup::hnet:

Jack
26-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Found the link :greengrin

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2009/08/22/bruce-others-to-follow-anthony-stokes-exit-61634-24503555/

iwasthere1972
26-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Found the link :greengrin

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2009/08/22/bruce-others-to-follow-anthony-stokes-exit-61634-24503555/

Fee = £200K
Signing on fee = £200K
£6K per week for one year = £300K

Total outgoings = £700K

This time next year Rodders will have sold him back to England for £2 million netting us a profit of £1.3 million.

Well done Rod. Edinburgh's answer to the Cash Generator.

Raymond
26-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Fee = £200K
Signing on fee = £200K
£6 per week for one year = £300K

Total outgoings = £700K

This time next year Rodders will have sold him back to England for £2 million netting us a profit of £1.3 million.

Well done Rod. Edinburgh's answer to the Cash Generator.

That sounds more like Rod:greengrin

iwasthere1972
26-08-2009, 02:58 PM
That sounds more like Rod:greengrin

:doh: I meant to type £6 per hour. :faf:

heretoday
26-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I hope Stokes scores as well as he talks.

So far all he's done is opine to the press about Hughes going to England and his boyhood love for Celtic.

jgl07
26-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Contacts at Sunderland..

Sunderland connections?

davemcbain
26-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Mind you the guy on Celtc forum the other day who said he was in the club shop & they were ironing Nish ( the name that is :wink: ) on to the back of a hooped top was a classic! Why do people make this !!!! up?

Story was more than likely true. Just a punter called Nish wanting his own name on the shirt....and so the rumour starts.

Jack
26-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I hope Stokes scores as well as he talks.

So far all he's done is opine to the press about Hughes going to England and his boyhood love for Celtic.

No he hasn't.