PDA

View Full Version : NHC DU and Willo Flood

Hibs7
25-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Looks like DU are trying to resign Willo Flood from Celtic, not a bad move from Levien

jgl07
25-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Flood was a typical example of the OF signing a player that they didn't need and were not going to play purely to weaken the opposition. See Killen, Riordan, Murray, etc.

banarc7062
25-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Flood was a typical example of the OF signing a player that they didn't need and were not going to play purely to weaken the opposition. See Killen, Riordan, Murray, etc.

Would tend to agree, but happy to give current manager a chance to rectify that policy. Has always come across as a decent honest bloke with a genuine desire to foster good football, in all its ways.

jgl07
25-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Would tend to agree, but happy to give current manager a chance to rectify that policy. Has always come across as a decent honest bloke with a genuine desire to foster good football, in all its ways.
I agree. I was talking of past times.

I think that financial contrainsts on the OF will stop this practice for some time to come.

Rangers seen to be near to bust even with the big increase in CL cash now that Celtic are unlikely to make the group stages.

Celtic will lose out heavily assuming that they do lose to Arsenal.

Dashing Bob S
25-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Maybe we should make a sneaky little offer for Fudd?

Woody1985
25-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree. I was talking of past times.

I think that financial contrainsts on the OF will stop this practice for some time to come.

Rangers seen to be near to bust even with the big increase in CL cash now that Celtic are unlikely to make the group stages.

Celtic will lose out heavily assuming that they do lose to Arsenal.

Is anyone else quite gutted that Celtic never won the league last season and put another nail in Rangers coffin?

Can you imagine their finances had they not made the CL groups and bank up to 10-12 mil?

They'd be ****ed and on the decline even more so. There would have been a realistic change of someone else snatching 2nd this season if that had happened and a real shake up in the league.

This may sound a little OTT but I think last season is one of the most important in Rangers recent history.

It's not that I'm pro celtic, it's that I'm pro '**** either of the old firm'.

I know that means that Celtic would probably dominate for a good few years to come but that's neither here nor there cos we're never gonna pass both of them anyway but the destruction of one would have been great.

Strachan ya prick! Lawell ****ed them up big time by not spending in January.

O'Rourke3
25-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Watched a bit of the game last week and Willo was on the sub's bench - deadringer for Tintin :agree:

jgl07
25-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Is anyone else quite gutted that Celtic never won the league last season and put another nail in Rangers coffin?

Can you imagine their finances had they not made the CL groups and bank up to 10-12 mil?

They'd be ****ed and on the decline even more so. There would have been a realistic change of someone else snatching 2nd this season if that had happened and a real shake up in the league.

This may sound a little OTT but I think last season is one of the most important in Rangers recent history.

To be honest watching them against Hearts they looked a very poor side.

OK they showed great team spirit to come back in the second half but Hearts really let them off the hook. The game should have been done and dusted by half time.

There were so many elementary mistakes in defence that were not punished by the toothless Hearts forwards.

Hearts goal was a joke that Maka would have been roasted for had it been him.

If any of the chasing pack can put together a run, Rangers are there to be taken.

Jack
25-08-2009, 02:52 PM

I know that means that Celtic would probably dominate for a good few years to come but that's neither here nor there cos we're never gonna pass both of them anyway but the destruction of one would have been great.

Does make you wonder if the heads of both organisations aren't working together :rolleyes:

Woody1985
25-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Does make you wonder if the heads of both organisations aren't working together :rolleyes:

Never thought of it like that.

I know they do it with everything else. Never crossed my mind that they'd do it for the league.

I suppose it's just as much in Celtic's interest that Rangers are still up there as it is for Rangers. If another team were to make the group stages there would be a realistic chance of them being able to topple one of them with 2/3 years in the CL.

HibsNibs
25-08-2009, 04:50 PM
not called the old firm for nothing :cool2:

Alicky Ranks
25-08-2009, 05:01 PM
To be honest watching them against YamsNil they looked a very poor side.

OK they showed great team spirit to come back in the second half but YamsNil really let them off the hook. The game should have been done and dusted by half time.

There were so many elementary mistakes in defence that were not punished by the toothless YamsNil forwards.

YamsNil goal was a joke that Maka would have been roasted for had it been him.

If any of the chasing pack can put together a run, Rangers are there to be taken.

It would be more accurate to say they weren't good enough to keep them on the hook rather than letting them off it. Rangers are a poor side and it sums up the quality of the SPL that they are the reigning champions. YamsNil, however, are beyond poor as they proved by failing to even take a point against 10 men despite being gifted a 1-0 lead.

jgl07
25-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Never thought of it like that.

I know they do it with everything else. Never crossed my mind that they'd do it for the league.

I suppose it's just as much in Celtic's interest that Rangers are still up there as it is for Rangers. If another team were to make the group stages there would be a realistic chance of them being able to topple one of them with 2/3 years in the CL.
The problem is that it will be difficult if not impossible for a non-OF team to make the CL group stages.

The coefficients and seeding systems will all be against them. Both champions and runners up will have to qualify from next season. This can mean coming against team of the stature of Arsenal.

It is looking increasingly difficicult to make the Europa League group stages although YamsNil and Aberdeen have qualified in the past for the UEFA Cup groups.

For me European competition is just something that messes up the domestic fixture list and is not worth worrying about.

jacomo
25-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Celtc held a loaded gun in January, but failed to pull the trigger. The alleged "bid" for Fletcher was half-baked - they knew full well that Petrie would never do business at £2m. Having failed to strengthen, they conceded the title, and Rangers now get a CL get out of jail card.

Incompetence? Or OF collusion? :confused:

Beefster
25-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Without defending Celtic, Flood was on loan from Cardiff and I don't think United could have afforded the fee anyway.