PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotland squad announced

1875er
25-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Recalls for Weir and McManus and also Kevin Kyle.

Can someone explain how Steven Naismith gets in the squad in front of Riordan.. other than playing for Rankgers... he has hardly kicked a ball in about 2 years....:grr:

Owain_1987
25-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Recalls for Weir and McManus and also Kevin Kyle.

Can someone explain how Steven Naismith gets in the squad in front of Riordan.. other than playing for Rankgers... he has hardly kicked a ball in about 2 years....:grr:

I have no idea I have given up on Scotland under Burley the man is a joke. Why the hell is Kevin Kyle in the squad he is *****e there about a million better players than him and half of them dont even play football.

the_ginger_hibee
25-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I have no idea I have given up on Scotland under Burley the man is a joke. Why the hell is Kevin Kyle in the squad he is *****e there about a million better players than him and half of them dont even play football.

Rather he was calling up players like Kevin Kyle, who are in-form for their clubs, than players like Naismith, who are only getting a call up because of who they play for.

hibsbollah
25-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Kevin Kyle in, Garry O Connor nowhere....says it all really.

Owain_1987
25-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Kevin Kyle in, Garry O Connor nowhere....says it all really.

I don't think Burley likes players with a personality ie no O'Connor, Riordan, Boyd etc

GreenPJ
25-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Whilst Riordan has a huge amount of talent the ability of our national team requires grafters or players who will noise up centre halfs. Riordan is neither of these.

I see no problem in bringing in Kyle, he is on form and we can play McFadden or Fletch off him and see what it brings.

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Whilst Riordan has a huge amount of talent the ability of our national team requires grafters or players who will noise up centre halfs. Riordan is neither of these.

I see no problem in bringing in Kyle, he is on form and we can play McFadden or Fletch off him and see what it brings.

Seems perfect for Garry O'Connor then.

CB_NO3
25-08-2009, 11:17 AM
If you put good balls into the box, Kyle is more likely to get on the end of them than Fletch, McFadden, Miller and Naysmith will. Sad but true.

Woody1985
25-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think Burley likes players with a personality ie no O'Connor, Riordan, Boyd etc

Does Boyd have a personallity?

After match interviews etc he looks like a boring ****. He's never in the papers from what I can recall.

I know the latter is a decent thing but I've never read or seen anything to indicate he's anything other than a boring ****!

Mon Dieu4
25-08-2009, 11:34 AM

I think we have too many players like that, we need a couple of players with imagination and who can actually score IMO

Danderhall Hibs
25-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I think we have too many players like that, we need a couple of players with imagination and who can actually score IMO

:agree: We've been brainwashed into thinking that Kenny Miller is our best option up front.

matty_f
25-08-2009, 11:40 AM
If you were Riordan you'd be wondering what the point is in even thinking about a national call up.

With a bit of luck, Deek will score more goals than any other striker in that squad this season.

Mon Dieu4
25-08-2009, 11:43 AM
:agree: We've been brainwashed into thinking that Kenny Miller is our best option up front.

Glad someone else agrees, Miller will run about all game like Gordon Durie and put in a shift, but he wont really do anything of note.

Riordan did sweet FA on Saturday but still bagged two belters that won us the game, I know who I'd rather have in my team :agree:

BigH
25-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Why don't we play to our strengths? In the past we have been famous for (and had success with) tricky ball players ala Johnstone and Baxter. Currently Scotland has two such players (albeit not quite in the same bracket!) - McFadden and Riordan. For the last fiasco McFadden's was on the bench and Deek's was watching on the tv. What has this squad achieved under Burley for any of them to keep getting picked??

PeterboroHibee
25-08-2009, 12:07 PM
This current squad is fairly garbage, there are some good players but there are plenty of other players in the SPL etc that could do a better job that the others; apart from the obvious good players the rest of the squad is made up of old carthorses who supposedly bring experience and guys who run about like idiots.

Think its mental we refuse to work a system where either Boyd or Riordan could be allowed to thrive in front of goal and instead have Kenny Miller running about like a headless chicken in the hope of scoring a flukey goal.

Whether it means bringing in and starting again with youngsters (as there is plenty of talented young scots), something needs to be done, and constantly calling up old guys isnt the answer.

scoopyboy
25-08-2009, 12:09 PM
under 21 squad?

Would expect Hanlon, Stevenson and hopefully Wotherspoon.

Sylar
25-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I absolutely detest George Burley - his ability to pick a competant bunch of players who have both the skill and desire to represent our national side is non-existent:

Gordon (Sunderland) - fair enough
Alexander (Rangers) - If I were Alexander, I'd tell Burley where to go!
Marshall (Cardiff) - a keeper who's conceded 11 goals in 3 matches...

Hutton (Tottenham) - OK
McCallister (Bristol City) - *****
McManus (Celtic) - hasn't played all season
S. Caldwell (Burnley) - bombscare
Berra (Wolves) - acceptable pick
Davidson (Preston) - past it
Barr (Falkirk) - yep
Whittaker (Rangers) - yep
Weir (Rangers) - old head, but hasn't looked comfortable at all this season!

Alexander (Burnley) - pish
Hartley (Bristol City) - pish
Fletcher (Manchester United) - Mr Enigma
Brown (Celtic) - good
Commons (Derby) - done **** all for Scotland so far
McFadden (Birmingham) - yep
Maloney (Celtic) - on form just now, so he merits his place

Miller (Rangers) - would fail to hit water if falling out a boat
Naismith (Rangers) - :confused:
Clarkson (Cardiff) - there are better players out there
Kyle (Kilmarnock) - :faf:
Fletcher (Burnley) - fair enough

There are so many players I'd love to see ripped out of that squad, as they don't merit their selection in the slightest!

Alexander should tell Burley to **** off after slapping him in the face the last time around. There are so many players who are Scottish and could seriously benefit our national side, and if Burley had never taken over, we'd still have their interest, in all liklihood.

O'Conner
Boyd
Riordan
Arfield
Thomson
Diamond
Stewart
McCormack (OK, he wasn't great against Norway, but he's a good player when used right)

Having watched some of the Championship games in England recently, players like Graeme Dorrans, Robert Snodgrass, Gavin Rae, Chris Burke are all on a rich vein of form just now.

I'm aware not everyone will agree with all these names, but the squad we're having to use just now is shocking.

JimBHibees
25-08-2009, 12:33 PM
under 21 squad?

Would expect Hanlon, Stevenson and hopefully Wotherspoon.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=128&newsID=4933

Only Hanlon.

MacBean
25-08-2009, 12:34 PM
given his inclusion of rangers players im surprised to see thomson's name not in there!
Why are Kyle and Naismith in there? O'Connor & Deeks are surely twice the players' they are!!!:grr:

Broken Gnome
25-08-2009, 12:41 PM
If Kevin Kyle has scored the goals he has for Kilmarnock for Hibs, most would have suggested he was worth a call-up, let's be honest.

As much as we all love Riordan, you've got numerous folk who would struggle to see any contribution he made on Saturday, bar his goals of course. As daft as it sounds, that won't cut it for Scotland. He might have all the talent in the world and be capable of scoring from just about anywhere, but given his built and fitness do you really see him excelling against Holland.

I'd be amazed if he played for Scotland again. Sad, but understandable.

HibeeUnderwood
25-08-2009, 05:24 PM
At least he hasn't recalled that bawbag Mikey Stewart! :hmmm:

Westie1875
25-08-2009, 09:02 PM
If Kevin Kyle has scored the goals he has for Kilmarnock for Hibs, most would have suggested he was worth a call-up, let's be honest.

As much as we all love Riordan, you've got numerous folk who would struggle to see any contribution he made on Saturday, bar his goals of course. As daft as it sounds, that won't cut it for Scotland. He might have all the talent in the world and be capable of scoring from just about anywhere, but given his built and fitness do you really see him excelling against Holland.

I'd be amazed if he played for Scotland again. Sad, but understandable.

He is a striker, his job is to score goals - Scotland have no prolific goal scorers in the squad.

Yes, Kevin Kyle has had a good few months since signing for Kilmarnock but Riordan has proven consistently over a number of years that when he is played he will score goals, he is also capable of something special from dead ball situations which is another thing Scotland are lacking in. Also better than Naismith and Clarkson and should be in the squad before them (as should GOC), Burley is a muppet.

Broken Gnome
25-08-2009, 09:08 PM
He is a striker, his job is to score goals - Scotland have no prolific goal scorers in the squad.

Yes, Kevin Kyle has had a good few months since signing for Kilmarnock but Riordan has proven consistently over a number of years that when he is played he will score goals, he is also capable of something special from dead ball situations which is another thing Scotland are lacking in. Also better than Naismith and Clarkson and should be in the squad before them (as should GOC), Burley is a muppet.

Scotland need more than goals, as daft as it sounds. That's why Boyd never got a look in, and it's why Kenny Miller is everyone's first choice lone striker despite his 6 chances to 1 goal ratio or whatever it is.

Would Riordan be worth risking against a far more athletic and physical Holland side, even Macedonia, when he could well be totally anonymous in the hope than we have a set piece?

clerriehibs
25-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Scotland need more than goals, as daft as it sounds. That's why Boyd never got a look in, and it's why Kenny Miller is everyone's first choice lone striker despite his 6 chances to 1 goal ratio or whatever it is.

Would Riordan be worth risking against a far more athletic and physical Holland side, even Macedonia, when he could well be totally anonymous in the hope than we have a set piece?

Yes, because that particular anonymous striker could get something out of nothing, whereas the others won't get anything out of nothing. And nothing is pretty much the total service our strikers will get v. Holland.

Westie1875
25-08-2009, 09:18 PM

I am not saying he should start, off the bench for 15-20 mins at the end of a match he could provide the spark, all it takes it a few seconds and the only one anywhere near capable of similar is McFadden.

Broken Gnome
25-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, because that particular anonymous striker could get something out of nothing, whereas the others won't get anything out of nothing. And nothing is pretty much the total service our strikers will get v. Holland.

Well rightly or wrongly, I bet anyone that would conceivably lead Scotland in the future would not pick Derek Riordan. And there would be something in that.

Dashing Bob S
25-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Well rightly or wrongly, I bet anyone that would conceivably lead Scotland in the future would not pick Derek Riordan. And there would be something in that.

I suppose getting capped adds value onto a player, but I'd be delighted if no Hibernian player was ever sullied with the taint of mediocrity and incompetence that invariably comes from being selected for the Scotland national football side.