PDA

View Full Version : Hughes moving on already... (Merged)

EasterRoad4Ever
24-08-2009, 06:48 PM
... or at least you'd think so from today's press event to roll out Stokes. Been here 2 minutes and the press are already stirring up talk of him moving on to bigger jobs down south. WTF ?

Wonder who we're playing at weekend ?

El Gubbz
24-08-2009, 06:51 PM
... or at least you'd think so from today's press event to roll out Stokes. Been here 2 minutes and the press are already stirring up talk of him moving on to bigger jobs down south. WTF ?

Wouldn't be one of the OF would it? No like the media to stir pash before these games.:greengrin

franks
24-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Watched BBC Scotland tonight. couldn't believe Stokes was already talking about he and Hughes going to a bigger and better club.

The guy has played one promising game (no goals) and already thinks he is too big for this club. His comments are totally disrespectful to our club and I still can't believe a new signing came out with them. I have met and saw Joe Baker play for our club, and he showed real respect for Hibs.

Come on Anthony at least pretend to be proud to be a Hibby for a while.

GGTTH

ancient hibee
24-08-2009, 07:31 PM
The guy has got a big head-that's why he couldn't cut it at Sunderland-thought he was better than he was-now got a second chance which he should take as long as he doesn't think he's the finished article-let's face it although rusty he should have put away at least one of his chances on Saturday.

bingo70
24-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Watched BBC Scotland tonight. couldn't believe Stokes was already talking about he and Hughes going to a bigger and better club.

The guy has played one promising game (no goals) and already thinks he is too big for this club. His comments are totally disrespectful to our club and I still can't believe a new signing came out with them. I have met and saw Joe Baker play for our club, and he showed real respect for Hibs.

GGTTH

All i heard him saying was that he imagined Yogi will go on to bigger and better things in the future, if Yogi does well here then he will, i don't see the problem with that.

IMO your being a bit over sensitive here.

Westie1875
24-08-2009, 07:35 PM

GGTTH

What exactly did he say?

Any chance it could it be the reporters with loaded questions on the subject, :confused: nothing wrong with ambition as long as he shows respect to Hibs.

We have enough Hibbys in the dressing room anyway who I am sure will let him know if he steps out of line after being in the door 5 minutes.

bingo70
24-08-2009, 07:36 PM
The guy has got a big head-that's why he couldn't cut it at Sunderland-thought he was better than he was-now got a second chance which he should take as long as he doesn't think he's the finished article-let's face it although rusty he should have put away at least one of his chances on Saturday.

If he thought he was the finished article he wouldn't have taken a massive pay cut and dropped down quite a few levels in order to get back playing football again and working for a manager he learned most from.

ancient hibee
24-08-2009, 07:36 PM
If he thought he was the finished article he wouldn't have taken a massive pay cut and dropped down quite a few levels in order to get back playing football again and working for a manager he learned most from.
Who else was after him?

500miles
24-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Rather that than the patronising garbage of "Hibs wur the only team I ever wanted to play fur!" that you get out of other players.

Stokes came here to get his career back on track, and if Yogi does well, he may move up a level. Sounds fair to me.

Woody1985
24-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Did he say move to a bigger and better club? Or move onto a higher level etc?

No one likes to hear that players view clubs as a stepping stone but lets face it, it happens to almost every club on the planet with the exception of a select view. Perhaps he shouldn't have said it (whatever it was) but at least he shows ambition.

Boumsong to Rangers is a prime example and they're one of our top two teams in the country.

Bougerra or however you spell it would have been off had they not qualified automatically for the group stage. I know he had a chance to go to Bordeaux (IIRC) but I don't see that as a massive step up. If a top Italian, English or Spanish team came in for him he'd have been away.

I'm under no illusion that he'll only want to be here for one or two seasons but if he can help us up the league and into 3rd I'd be delighted.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2009, 07:38 PM

GGTTH

Didn't see it but people talk about honesty as well maybe his just being honest. Naive, misguided and stupid but honest. I blame reality tv :wink:.
But to put it in some perspective, Ulrik Laursen also mentioned that he saw Hibs as a stepping stone when he first came. I dont think it brought the place down. I can only imagine Mowbray re-signed/brought players in with chat "do well and you'll go places..."

What is perhaps different now is the gaffer is a Hibee so maybe Stokes will be getting a healthy clip around the ear...

What's better "I've unfinished business/I'll be here for as long as you want me" or the more honest response? Thats not to say that I like it mind :boo hoo:

Riordans Boots
24-08-2009, 07:41 PM
SSN now

bingo70
24-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Who else was after him?

reports that crystal palace and other championship clubs were after him.

Amazes me that people would try so hard to find faults in what was quite clearly an innocent statement that he thinks his manager will move onto a higher level at some stage in the future.

Rasta_Hibs
24-08-2009, 07:44 PM
To me it was the typical west coast media asking loaded questions as if to say Hibs are not allowed to sign qaulity players!

Fair play to stokes he gave an honest answer and if he goes on and has two seasons where he nets 20 goals in each then he can go with my best wishes, but ill be making sure i go and see some of his goals whilst here and enjoy the good football while we can!

sahib
Rather that than the patronising garbage of "Hibs wur the only team I ever wanted to play fur!" that you get out of other players.

Stokes came here to get his career back on track, and if Yogi does well, he may move up a level. Sounds fair to me.

Name one player who has said that.

TheBall'sRound
To be honest, the Scottish media associate "New Hibs signing" with "stepping stone" and as a result every new recruit will be asked that question or something along those lines.

We're a distance away from players of Stokes' ability joining to achieve success. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before players aren't just coming for the "shop window". It's coming! I have faith! :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
24-08-2009, 07:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8219244.stm

If its this interview, then all he does is answer the questions asked. It is the stupid woman that mentions moving on, stepping stone, hughes going to the premiership - and Stokes tries to avoid any controversial answers in my opinion.

heidtheba
24-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I suppose it beats the alternatives;

1 - The lie "I came here because it is the only team I've ever wanted to play for..."

2 - The shocking lack of ambition "I want to put myself in the shop window for Brechin"

3 - The cultural excuse - "The climate suits me" :faf:

4 - The Scottish cultural excuse "I prefer broon sauce to vinegar"

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I repeat that old Leith proverb: better goalscoring striker thinking of next big move than nonscoring striker thinking of next big mac.

I hope Stokes is ambitious and wanted by a host of clubs - it'll mean he's doing the business.

In an era where even a club of the size of Man Utd is seen as a stepping stone, we shouldn't be shocked/discouraged by a player wanting to play at the highest level he can.

CallumLaidlaw
24-08-2009, 07:48 PM
reports that crystal palace and other championship clubs were after him.

Amazes me that people would try so hard to find faults in what was quite clearly an innocent statement that he thinks his manager will move onto a higher level at some stage in the future.

"No I don't think he'll go any further. if anything, he'll probably get us relegated. I don't know why I came here. But if Man U come, I'll turn them down to stay at the Hibees"

hibsbollah
24-08-2009, 07:49 PM
There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Hibs in that clip; either he said something else or theres a lot of knickers getting unnecessarily twisted:yawn:

franks
24-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Not trying to find faults just upset that a new signing should talk us down in this way. No lies just respect is all I ask.

I hope he scores barrow loads and I will cheer every one.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2009, 07:50 PM
"I got somethin' for your mind, body and you soul!"

A Madchester Salute (ok they are from Liverpool...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlbuC9ak_8&feature=PlayList&p=D8A1994A05757442&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Jim44
24-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Talk the talk if you like, Anthony, but, more importantly, you'll have to walk the walk if you and your pal Yogi are to move on to bigger things. Put your money where your mouth is, son. I'd have been more concerned if he had come out with the statement 10 months from now. He's set the target and the club will be the main benificiary of a successful team and manager. We'll worry about them leaving when they've done the business. Till then, lets enjoy them. GGTTH :wink:

Hibs90
24-08-2009, 07:56 PM
There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Hibs in that clip; either he said something else or theres a lot of knickers getting unnecessarily twisted:yawn:

:agree:

That reporter is a complete bint though. Slag.

bingo70
24-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Not trying to find faults just upset that a new signing should talk us down in this way. No lies just respect is all I ask.

I hope he scores barrow loads and I will cheer every one.

He never said anything to talk us down :confused:

If anything he talked us up, he had the chance to join other clubs but wanted to come here because of our facilities and we've got what he believes is a great manager and when the bint interviewing him tried to get him to talk about leaving us already he replied that he has signed a 3 year contract with us and he intends to see it out.

Luna_Asylum
24-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Benji

sesoim
24-08-2009, 08:02 PM

As long as he scores loads of goals and we make a healthy profit when we sell him, I don't mind if he talks about "higher levels" and so on.

We've all supported Hibs long enough to see that even Hibs "fans" can be two-faced moneygrabbers.

But I'd like to think there'll come a time where we can hold onto decent players rather than sell everybody who is even half-decent. We can't expect to hold onto players like Scott Brown, but we should be able to hold on to the likes of Beuzy, Sproule, Jones and so on for longer. Maybe once that stand is built and the debt is cleared....

Hibs90
24-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Benji

Linkage to quote?

And why do you care anyway? :confused::yawn:

Syuzen
24-08-2009, 08:08 PM

That reporter is a complete bint though. Slag.

I hope you don't talk about your mother like that!

Luna_Asylum
24-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Linkage to quote?

And why do you care anyway? :confused::yawn:

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=3623_0_1_0_C

I care cos I'm a hibs fans but the admins think i'm gay so they painted me pink

Wotherspiniesta
24-08-2009, 08:12 PM
What an odd set of questions to ask. :confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
24-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I couldn't give a flying.

Yogi won't be in a hurry to leave the club he's always wanted to manage and if Stokes move on, it'll be for an absolute mint.

If Stokes stays here for the rest of his career then it means he'll have been pretty gash.

I WANT the guy to bang in 25 goals a year for the next two years and get sold on for £4-5million.

Let's not kid ourselves on that signing for Hibs is the pinaccle of a player's career. Good business for us is a player signing, doing wonders and then getting sold on for a healthy profit.

So whether Stokes has said what he's said, I don't care one jot. Every player should want to better themselves and if Stokes uses us as a stepping stone, fair play.

By doing so he'll be banging them in right, left and centre and showing the other clubs that he can cut it at a higher level.

Jim44
24-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Wouldn't be one of the OF would it? No like the media to stir pash before these games.:greengrin

It's nothing to do with the media stirring things up for next weekend. The guy himself volunteered his opinion.

Westie1875
24-08-2009, 08:22 PM
It's nothing to do with the media stirring things up for next weekend. The guy himself volunteered his opinion.

Not on the interview I heard, he was asked.

bingo70
24-08-2009, 08:28 PM

The bint interviewing him was desperate for him to say something controversial, all she bloody asked him about was about where he could have gone, if yogi will leave and how long is he here for, considering he's just signed a 3 year deal and Yogi has been in charge for 2 games what a stupid line of questioning.

The only thing Stokes did wrong was not pulling her up for being pish at her job

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
24-08-2009, 08:30 PM

yogi wouldn't have let him say it without a motive - Yogi will go to a bigger club down south, he is that good !!! BUT before he goes he will give us plenty of great days out & times to remember - i'm hoping its 3-5 years & i'm sure he's quoted that on HibsTV.

he's no Mowbray, who had no affection for the club & buggered off at the first sign of a slump !!! :agree:

Jim44
24-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Must have been a different interview.:wink: In the one I saw, he was in full stream going on about how brilliant Hughes was and came right out with the statement without any input from the interviewer.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2009, 08:32 PM

You've just been re-greened. Welcome back!

--------
24-08-2009, 08:43 PM
What an odd set of questions to ask. :confused:

She asks if he's thinking of going back to England - "no disrespect to Hibs" (could have fooled me...)

He says: "You can't rule anything out, to be honest with you, but as far as I'm concerned, for the next three years I'm a Hibs player - that's as far as I'm looking at the minute."

SHE then brings up Celtic (who exactly are we playing next, btw - I've forgotten???).

His response: "We'll see what happens, it's very early days, they may not want me" - he sounds embarrassed and trying to close the interview quickly in a reasonably pleasant manner.

We won't hold Yogi for ever, and we won't hold Stokes for ever, but all the talk of 'moving upwards' and 'stepping-stones' is coming from Ms Jane Lewis there.

Maybe the lad McLaughlin should have a wee word with her about courtesy and what's appropriate when you're interviewing a player about his arrival at a new club ....

500miles
24-08-2009, 08:51 PM

About Hibs? Well Luna Asylum answered that, but perhaps rather than "Hibs", "[Insert Club]" would have made it clearer, but to be honest, I thought it was pretty easy to see my point.

My point btw, is, I would rather get a bit of honesty than the old lines that get dragged out to sweeten up the support.

Hibs90
24-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Wonder if thats a bad or good decision? :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
24-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Just listened to Jane Lewis interviewing Stokes.

She needs a right good boot in the fud :bye:

Jim44
24-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Is there a link for the interview?

Betty Boop
24-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Nice to see you back in green! :greengrin

Luna_Asylum
24-08-2009, 09:12 PM

ha ha thanks.....

funny thing is I never got much abuse when I was a sparryheid

however if you can't judge a book by its cover what the
*u%$ are you going to judge it by - ABC the look of luv

BroxburnHibee
24-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Wonder if thats a bad or good decision? :greengrin

He's on probation :wink:

basehibby
24-08-2009, 10:57 PM

If its this interview, then all he does is answer the questions asked. It is the stupid woman that mentions moving on, stepping stone, hughes going to the premiership - and Stokes tries to avoid any controversial answers in my opinion.

Doh - where's Rene out of AlloAllo when you need him :grr: he would have told her good and proper. Seriously though what a painfully annoying and insulting (to Hibs) line of questioning. Only one game and she's trying to get him to call Hibs a stepping stone and line up his next move :bitchy:. Unbelievable that she mentioned interest from the Smellies to boot given that the ink is not even dry on his 3 year deal and we're playing them on saturday.
I thought Stokes sounded embarassed by her blatant digging for a controversial story and handled it well - he was very complimentary about his gaffer and along with the customary "never know what'll happen" waffle stated he was only thinking of seeing out his 3 year deal with Hibs and happy at that.

Cropley10
24-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I couldn't give a flying.

Yogi won't be in a hurry to leave the club he's always wanted to manage and if Stokes move on, it'll be for an absolute mint.

If Stokes stays here for the rest of his career then it means he'll have been pretty gash.

I WANT the guy to bang in 25 goals a year for the next two years and get sold on for £4-5million.

Let's not kid ourselves on that signing for Hibs is the pinaccle of a player's career. Good business for us is a player signing, doing wonders and then getting sold on for a healthy profit.

So whether Stokes has said what he's said, I don't care one jot. Every player should want to better themselves and if Stokes uses us as a stepping stone, fair play.

By doing so he'll be banging them in right, left and centre and showing the other clubs that he can cut it at a higher level.

Precisely!:agree::agree:

davym7062
25-08-2009, 12:13 AM
i really hope stoksey and yogi move on to bigger clubs cause that means they have done well at hibs:agree:

monktonharp
25-08-2009, 12:18 AM

The bint interviewing him was desperate for him to say something controversial, all she bloody asked him about was about where he could have gone, if yogi will leave and how long is he here for, considering he's just signed a 3 year deal and Yogi has been in charge for 2 games what a stupid line of questioning.

The only thing Stokes did wrong was not pulling her up for being pish at her job:agree:but was that a different interview,to the one seen on tv? she was a little upstart bint,continually trying to prise something out like "I really hope to play for Celtic one day" ,the tv bit seemed a bit different:dunno:

OtterHibee
25-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Doh - where's Rene out of AlloAllo when you need him :grr: he would have told her good and proper. Seriously though what a painfully annoying and insulting (to Hibs) line of questioning. Only one game and she's trying to get him to call Hibs a stepping stone and line up his next move :bitchy:. Unbelievable that she mentioned interest from the Smellies to boot given that the ink is not even dry on his 3 year deal and we're playing them on saturday.

I thought Stokes sounded embarassed by her blatant digging for a controversial story and handled it well - he was very complimentary about his gaffer and along with the customary "never know what'll happen" waffle stated he was only thinking of seeing out his 3 year deal with Hibs and happy at that.

Sounds very familiar (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7596722.stm) :cool2: (from approx 2 mins in)

She is one seriously irritating git of a 'reporter'.

Hal Jordan
25-08-2009, 03:55 AM

Lawrie Reilly :agree:

ANDY McGEECHAN
25-08-2009, 06:06 AM
He never said anything to talk us down :confused:

If anything he talked us up, he had the chance to join other clubs but wanted to come here because of our facilities and we've got what he believes is a great manager and when the bint interviewing him tried to get him to talk about leaving us already he replied that he has signed a 3 year contract with us and he intends to see it out.

FFS All he said was 'never say never and as far as I'm concerned I'm a Hibs player for the next three years'

monktonharp
25-08-2009, 11:43 AM
FFS All he said was 'never say never and as far as I'm concerned I'm a Hibs player for the next three years'dont think that was all he said.the questions were all loaded,but he did slightly overdo the.........me and Yogi will defo go on from here bit IIRC