PDA

View Full Version : Hughes not looking to sell any of his first 11/ 4 Leaving - 2/3 to come in (Merged)

PaulSmith
24-08-2009, 04:12 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-keen-to-keep-Nish.5582936.jp

Hughes dismisses reports linking him with Anderson and Boozy.

JJ could go as could another 3 fringe players but he states that he doesn't expect any of his starting X1 to leave

edit - Love this bit "While the window's still open, maybe they might be better finding themselves another club. They're really going to have convince me they're something special to get a game in front of some of the guys that I'm bringing to the club."

Hibs90
24-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Can see JJ and Thicot leaving for definate. Even if it was by mutual consent on the last day of the window. Hopefully DVZ can **** off too.

GreenPJ
24-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Keenan, DVZ, Thicot and JJ with two to come in would do me. Maybe a couple of the young lads out on loan as well.

Tricla
24-08-2009, 04:29 PM
From SSN

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5511766,00.html

--------
24-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, I'd rather hope that one or two of the eleven that started at Falkirk might not be in that bracket....

3 or 4 out, 1 or two in.

That sounds like money plus exchange deals to me.

--------
24-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Keenan, DVZ, Thicot and JJ with two to come in would do me. Maybe a couple of the young lads out on loan as well.

That would be my thought too. Kinda sorry to see Thicot go - I thought he might have done OK for us.

The other name that MIGHT crop up is Colin Nish.

If it were a question of a fee plus player-exchange....

YehButNoBut
24-08-2009, 04:39 PM
That would be my thought too. Kinda sorry to see Thicot go - I thought he might have done OK for us.

Could see Falkirk taking Nish as part of a deal for Arfield as they need to strengthen up front.

--------
24-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Could see Falkirk taking Nish as part of a deal for Arfield as they need to strengthen up front.

Might be a reasonable deal. :agree:

Hibbyradge
24-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Hughes has stated that he wants to keep Nish.

shamo9
24-08-2009, 04:51 PM

As long as he has a no compete clause against Hibs. He always scores against us, always!:grr:

stubru59
24-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Not looking to off-load any of his first eleven. Does not mean deals will not be done where it allows signings of note.

An interesting week ahead.

Petrie's Tache
24-08-2009, 04:55 PM
As long as he has a no compete clause against Hibs. He always scores against us, always!:grr:

Think you can only write them into loan deals, as, if Falkirk own the player, we can't stop them playing him IIRC.

DarlingtonHibee
24-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Agreed re Thicot.

Unless we have a defender coming in, I would keep Thicot.

Hogg still to prove his form this season.

shamo9
24-08-2009, 05:01 PM
"I wouldn't want to be doing any kind of business on guys that are starting in my 11," he said.

So looks like DVZ is safe then:devil: *Waits for the riot*

Scotthibs1875
24-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Are you being serious?
Nish is terrible and why would they swap him when they could a good bit of money?

Shrekko
24-08-2009, 05:27 PM
"I wouldn't want to be doing any kind of business on guys that are starting in my 11," he said.

So looks like DVZ is safe then:devil: *Waits for the riot*

DVZ is nowhere near as bad as some are making out-same for Nish.

It looks to me that Yogi is trying to get a smaller squad of senior players but of a higher quality and will be supplementing them with the best of the under 19's. Therefore any player from last seasons first team squad not featuring at present should be worried. Until we get a better option at right back then I think DVZ stays for the moment.

Stevenson would be another deemed tradeable I would think. His reputation exceeds his actual ability IMO so he could be a useful bargaining chip.

jacomo
24-08-2009, 05:33 PM

I'd be glad to keep him, even if Stokes is first choice ahead of him.

jacomo
24-08-2009, 05:36 PM
It looks to me that Yogi is trying to get a smaller squad of senior players but of a higher quality and will be supplementing them with the best of the under 19's.

Isn't this exactly what we've been waiting for? No more last minute gambles, but instead investing a bit more money in quality, and giving kids coming through chances to impress?

I'm getting very excited! Yogi is being backed by the Board to build a decent squad here. :thumbsup:

Hibby70
24-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Keenan and Johanson are almost definite, Stevenson and DVZ are probably next on his hit list and possibly McCormack.

I reckon he's going to pull out a cracker that we've not thought about (Zidane out of retirement...well maybe not).

sahib
24-08-2009, 05:42 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hughes-keen-to-keep-Nish.5582936.jp

Hughes dismisses reports linking him with Anderson and Boozy.

JJ could go as could another 3 fringe players but he states that he doesn't expect any of his starting X1 to leave
edit - Love this bit "While the window's still open, maybe they might be better finding themselves another club. They're really going to have convince me they're something special to get a game in front of some of the guys that I'm bringing to the club."

That is a bit like saying he won't be releasing the ones he wants to keep.

Speedway
24-08-2009, 05:47 PM
This is a shame for JJ.

It's not often we sign a player who's done it in the SPL and EPL and STILL doing it at international level, injure him, play him out of position, then drop him and not use him again, then let him go.

He would be one I'd keep for 'defo'

Pedantic_Hibee
24-08-2009, 06:02 PM
What happened to Boozy then?!!?!?!?

I thought that was a done deal?

MyJo
24-08-2009, 06:47 PM
JJ, Keenan, Wilson, Thicot, Van Gantin & possibly Stevenson have their coats on shoogly pegs IMO

silverhibee
24-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Keenan and Johanson are almost definite, Stevenson and DVZ are probably next on his hit list and possibly McCormack.

I reckon he's going to pull out a cracker that we've not thought about (Zidane out of retirement...well maybe not).

Bobo Balde.

Cracker
24-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Can see JJ and Thicot leaving for definate. Even if it was by mutual consent on the last day of the window. Hopefully DVZ can **** off too.
I am fairly certain Thicot will not be leaving,captain of the French U19s at right back! play him against Brechin:wink:

hibee_girl
24-08-2009, 07:42 PM

It looks to me that Yogi is trying to get a smaller squad of senior players but of a higher quality and will be supplementing them with the best of the under 19's. Therefore any player from last seasons first team squad not featuring at present should be worried. Until we get a better option at right back then I think DVZ stays for the moment.

Stevenson would be another deemed tradeable I would think. His reputation exceeds his actual ability IMO so he could be a useful bargaining chip.

These two are clearly going to be this seasons scapegoats :agree:

I'm another one who would like us to keep JJ, he's been injured for most of Yogi's time here so not sure how he can really judge him this early. He'll be a useful experienced (what we were crying out for last season!) player to have around.

Cropley10
24-08-2009, 08:03 PM

:agree:The anti DVZ and Nish stuff is getting really tiresome already.

As for JJ - surely if he's still bothered we can find room for a current Internationalist, who is still scoring goals at that level!?

Jim44
24-08-2009, 08:04 PM
What happened to Boozy then?!!?!?!?

I thought that was a done deal?

That's put the Boozy rumour to bed for good. Hughes wears his heart on his sleeve and is a straight talker. If he says he won't be looking to sign him, that's that. I would have welcomed Boozy back as a good squad addition but I'm not going to lose any sleep if he goes to Celtic.

Cropley10
24-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I am fairly certain Thicot will not be leaving,captain of the French U19s at right back! play him against Brechin:wink:

And, Chris Hogg was Captain of England U-18s??

Thicot aint one of the starting XI (thankfully).

Fergus52
24-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Bobo Balde.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

'Mon the Hibs
24-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I know Keenan is moving out his current flat :wink:

MrRobot
24-08-2009, 08:47 PM
JJ, Keenan, Wilson, Thicot, Van Gantin & possibly Stevenson have their coats on shoogly pegs IMO

Hope not Stevenson.

Cracker
24-08-2009, 08:59 PM
And, Chris Hogg was Captain of England U-18s??

Thicot aint one of the starting XI (thankfully).

All about opinions! you have made your mind up, I say give the the guy a chance and lets see how he performs,did ok last season when given a run,if it backfires then Im sure a parting of the ways will come.:wink:

basehibby
24-08-2009, 10:14 PM
:agree:The anti DVZ and Nish stuff is getting really tiresome already.

As for JJ - surely if he's still bothered we can find room for a current Internationalist, who is still scoring goals at that level!?

I don't think we've seen the best of JJ during his time at Hibs. He was played on the wing most of his games under Mixu and, like many of Mixu's ruses, it didn't work.
That said he is at the wrong end of his career and competing with a very talented bunch of strikers in Riordan, Benji, Stokes and yes - Nish, who have all got at least half a decade on him. Put that together with talented young guys like Byrne and Dean pushing for a place up front and you can see why it makes sense for JJ to move on.
I'm sure he could still do a very good job for some team out there crying out for a quality striker - can't think who though (:jamboak::wink::devil:).

As for the other candidates for the chop, Keenan is already a certainty and assuming the youngsters from last season's U19s will be exempt at this stage, that only leaves us with Thicot, Stevenson, McCann and McCormack as non-starting eleven at this stage.
Of those I think Thicot and Stevenson should maybe be the most worried, but I also think that despite what Yogi's said, VanZanten would be the first to go if, as I hope, a goood attacking RB is found.

HibeeUnderwood
24-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Unless we sign Barr or another player who is or can play right back, Van Zanten isn't going anywhere.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Thicot, Keenan and JJ leaving at the end of the month. I hope Thicot doesn't go, I think we are still to see the best of him.

As I said in another thread, I will be very unhappy if Stevenson leaves, great wee player with a great future, we'd be silly to let him go.

I'd also be disappointed to see McCormack go as he too is an exciting prospect, Not sure about Wilson, never seen him play so I don't know whether he would be a big loss or not.

I do think that some of those youngsters should get loan spells at other clubs, especially if they aren't going to play a lot of games for our team.

We'll just have to wait and see, wednesdays game against Brechin may be achance for some of these players to show that they still have a future at the club.

BEEJ
24-08-2009, 10:52 PM
As for the other candidates for the chop, Keenan is already a certainty and assuming the youngsters from last season's U19s will be exempt at this stage, that only leaves us with Thicot, Stevenson, McCann and McCormack as non-starting eleven at this stage.

Of those I think Thicot and Stevenson should maybe be the most worried, but I also think that despite what Yogi's said, VanZanten would be the first to go if, as I hope, a goood attacking RB is found.
I think McCann is currently in Hughes' first eleven. DvZ only played on Saturday because McCann was injured.

hibernian36
24-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Nish and DVZ to go for me. Although Nish is a good Hibby, he's like a big brewery horse up front.

basehibby
24-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Unless we sign Barr or another player who is or can play right back, Van Zanten isn't going anywhere.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Thicot, Keenan and JJ leaving at the end of the month. I hope Thicot doesn't go, I think we are still to see the best of him.

As I said in another thread, I will be very unhappy if Stevenson leaves, great wee player with a great future, we'd be silly to let him go.

I'd also be disappointed to see McCormack go as he too is an exciting prospect, Not sure about Wilson, never seen him play so I don't know whether he would be a big loss or not.

I do think that some of those youngsters should get loan spells at other clubs, especially if they aren't going to play a lot of games for our team.

We'll just have to wait and see, wednesdays game against Brechin may be achance for some of these players to show that they still have a future at the club.

I also like Stevenson - but I'm basing my guesswork on the fact that Hughes has already signed 2 midfielders and i wouldn't be surprised if he signed another.
Yogi has also thrown down a gauntlet to the fringe players in this interview as well as making an impressive statement of intent - "They're really going to have convince me they're something special to get a game in front of some of the guys that I'm bringing to the club" - he hasn't actually shut the door with this statement but if any fringe players were in need of a boot up the erse then it's all in there.
I'm certainly enthused by his optimism and if the signing of Stokes is anything to go by then we could be in for an exciting season :thumbsup:

Auckland Hibs
25-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Nish and DVZ to go for me. Although Nish is a good Hibby, he's like a big brewery horse up front.

Whilst I would agree that Nish is about as quick as a week in Saughton Prison, at least he offers something to the team that neither JJ, Benji, Deeks or Stokes can by holding up play and winning the high ball (err, the second point is not a great example).

Seriously though, if Nish goes down South then we empty JJ, I would suggest we need to bring someone else into the team as a target man.

matty_f
25-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Whilst I would agree that Nish is about as quick as a week in Saughton Prison, at least he offers something to the team that neither JJ, Benji, Deeks or Stokes can by holding up play and winning the high ball (err, the second point is not a great example).

Seriously though, if Nish goes down South then we empty JJ, I would suggest we need to bring someone else into the team as a target man.

I think if Nish left, then it would actually give Yogi less of a headache with selection if he didn't look to replace him. IMHO, we're top heavy with strikers just now. Losing one, or even two wouldn't necessarily be detrimental to the team.

JJ has hardly featured, and while I like him as a player there are few that could argue that we'd miss him.

Nish, on the other hand, is something of an enigma. Looking at his performances in isolation can be incredibly frustrating. However, play him with another striker and you can see what he brings to the team, not only that but he's good for at least 10 goals in the season.

The problem with Nish, is that he isn't as good as Stokes, Riordan, or Benji, IMHO, so while the manager (and Mixu before him) wanted to play him, I think they also feel that they should play the other two strikers as well.

This leaves the team slightly imbalanced (again, IMHO). Saturday saw Falkirk dominate the midfield in a fashion not a million miles away from last season, mainly because we had a 3 man midfield.

It could be that this is temporary until Zouma returns to the team, in which case I cannot help but get excited at the potential team that we could put out, or the combinations from middle to front.

It is a great position to be in, where the manager is literally spoiled for choice.

Auckland Hibs
25-08-2009, 01:35 AM
I think if Nish left, then it would actually give Yogi less of a headache with selection if he didn't look to replace him. IMHO, we're top heavy with strikers just now. Losing one, or even two wouldn't necessarily be detrimental to the team.

JJ has hardly featured, and while I like him as a player there are few that could argue that we'd miss him.

Nish, on the other hand, is something of an enigma. Looking at his performances in isolation can be incredibly frustrating. However, play him with another striker and you can see what he brings to the team, not only that but he's good for at least 10 goals in the season.

The problem with Nish, is that he isn't as good as Stokes, Riordan, or Benji, IMHO, so while the manager (and Mixu before him) wanted to play him, I think they also feel that they should play the other two strikers as well.

This leaves the team slightly imbalanced (again, IMHO). Saturday saw Falkirk dominate the midfield in a fashion not a million miles away from last season, mainly because we had a 3 man midfield.

It could be that this is temporary until Zouma returns to the team, in which case I cannot help but get excited at the potential team that we could put out, or the combinations from middle to front.

It is a great position to be in, where the manager is literally spoiled for choice.

I agree with your comments, particularly those relating to Nish. Someone posted the stats from last season earlier in the month and Nish was all over it in terms of assists for goals, I just find him so bloody frustrating to watch when he's on his backside or offside 20 times a game.

Relating to the 3 man midfield, we where completely dominated on Saturday and I could see us taking quite a pounding from a half decent team if Yogi continues to play that system.

Can't wait for Zoumer to make the starting 11, with him on form and feeding Deeks and Stokes we can look forward to goals and glory!

Pedantic_Hibee
25-08-2009, 05:50 AM
If you ask me, Colin Nish looks superb when you're watching the 5 minute highlights of a game. That's where he looks all-action and a permanent nuisance.

Watching him for 90 minutes is harmful to the eyes but when you churn the statistics out of his season, he's pretty darn effective.

Mary Hinge
25-08-2009, 06:42 AM
If you ask me, Colin Nish looks superb when you're watching the 5 minute highlights of a game. That's where he looks all-action and a permanent nuisance.

Watching him for 90 minutes is harmful to the eyes but when you churn the statistics out of his season, he's pretty darn effective.

I agree totally.

He takes a fair battering throughout every game he plays, with very little protection from referees :agree:

Brooster
25-08-2009, 07:11 AM
The thing is if we are to move on as a club and challenge for 3rd we need to move players on, if we are bringing players in before the deadline we will have to move players on, the harsh reality is that players will move on, based on that reality I reckon the prime candidates for leaving are:

JJ - Surplus to requirements as we have Deek, Nish, Stokes, Benji, Byrne and Deane plus he has done zero in a Hibs shirt.

Stevenson - Well down the pecking order and hasn't developed much in the last 2 seasons imo.

McCormack - 3rd choice at right back at present, surplus.

Thicott - Not good enough for where we want to be, surplus.

DVZ - Probably the best RB we have at this moment in time (until McCann gets up to speed) but I'm sure we could live without him.

Keenan - been told to find a new club, surplus.

In my opinion these are the guys who could leave to trim the squad without adversely affecting the team.

Nish, Roirdan or Bamba leaving (who are all attracting interest) would have an impact on the team and for that reason I dont want any them to leave.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Someone posted the stats from last season earlier in the month and Nish was all over it in terms of assists for goals

I didn't see that post. Can you point me in its direction, please.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2009, 07:36 AM
If DVZ was to leave, we would need to bring in more cover for RB.

Dashing Bob S
25-08-2009, 07:37 AM
The thing is if we are to move on as a club and challenge for 3rd we need to move players on, if we are bringing players in before the deadline we will have to move players on, the harsh reality is that players will move on, based on that reality I reckon the prime candidates for leaving are:

JJ - Surplus to requirements as we have Deek, Nish, Stokes, Benji, Byrne and Deane plus he has done zero in a Hibs shirt.

Stevenson - Well down the pecking order and hasn't developed much in the last 2 seasons imo.

McCormack - 3rd choice at right back at present, surplus.

Thicott - Not good enough for where we want to be, surplus.

DVZ - Probably the best RB we have at this moment in time (until McCann gets up to speed) but I'm sure we could live without him.

Keenan - been told to find a new club, surplus.

In my opinion these are the guys who could leave to trim the squad without adversely affecting the team.

Nish, Roirdan or Bamba leaving (who are all attracting interest) would have an impact on the team and for that reason I dont want any them to leave.

I agree that unless we use Stevenson or McCormack, we should let them go. It's unfair that they aren't getting opportunities at this point in their careers, and neither would have difficulty finding another club.

NAE NOOKIE
25-08-2009, 07:57 AM
JJ & Keenan defo to leave. Think JJ is a good player, but through no fault of his own has had no impact so he wont be missed.

Thicot: Looks a decent player at times, but has never forced his way into the team after a full season, so I dont see how he cant be replaced.

Not sure if Lewis has gotten any better skill wise over the years, but his attitude is brilliant and when the chips are down he will fight for the cause. Would be sorry to see him go.

DVZ ... As soon as a decent attacking RB comes along he will be gone.

Nishy ... Drives you mental by spending half of every game on his a*se and failing to control the ball when he should. But he is an option up front and deserves a chance. A frustrating player but he certainly aint as bad as some are making out.

Our midfield was poor on Saturday and a better team would have been 2 or 3 up by half time. I feel Yogi would prefer 442 but cant always because he needs 2 attacking full backs to make his system work.

We need a good RB and centre half. We could then play Bamba as a defensive midfielder. His passing is pretty decent and he would give the midfield hight and muscle allowing the likes of Zouma and Cregg to get forward to support 2 strikers. Though which two will give him a problem coz they are all good, sometimes brilliant ... Deeks.

J-C
25-08-2009, 08:46 AM
JJ, Keenan and DVZ should leave.
JJ has been unlucky with injuries and when fit not getting a chance from his goog mate Mixu :confused:
Keenan and DVZ are just not Hibs class.

Thicot has a lot of potential which he should at the end of last season, whether he's got to his level and won't progress is another question but could be a good squad player.

Stevenson has proved he has the temperament for the SPL, gets stuck in when needed and again a good squad player.

Remember this isn't about just 11 players, it's a squad, so you have to think how strong your squad is, so we need cover to compete in all competitions over the coming season.

MoantheCabbage
25-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I have noticed a few post in regards to Keenan being part of the 4 being released but i was under the impression he was already away?

Sure I remember Yogi saying that he had a chat with Joe and that he was an excellent professional and wish him all the best in finding a new club etc.

Cant seem to find a link anywhere right enough maybe im mistaken

MyJo
25-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I have noticed a few post in regards to Keenan being part of the 4 being released but i was under the impression he was already away?

Sure I remember Yogi saying that he had a chat with Joe and that he was an excellent professional and wish him all the best in finding a new club etc.

Cant seem to find a link anywhere right enough maybe im mistaken

Keenan is still at the club and training etc but he has been told he is surplus to requirements and if he can find himself a new club he can go, if we get to 31/08 without him budging then we'll probably just pay him off.

Dinkydoo
25-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope that Stevenson stays and don't think that hes featured enough in the last year for people to criticise him the way that they have.

I like Nish and also don't think hes as bad as some are making out although to get ahead of Benji, Deeks and Stokes in the 1st team line up is some target to be aiming for - one which I think he'll severly struggle to achieve.

The thing that worries me is if we get rid of Nish and JJ, we all know that Benji is so unpredictable and unreliable that we might quickly find that we've only got two strikers and an U-19 to choose from.

I'd give Keenan and Thicot another opportunity to show that they are "hibs class" if not then get rid imo. Bring in another RB and CB, then get shot of DVZ.

Then I think that we may have a fairly decent sqwuad fully capable of getting third spot this year! :thumbsup:

Tha Cabbage Kid
25-08-2009, 11:34 AM
for me i dont want stevenson to go!!!!!!
i think he has got what it takes and can play in a few positions. and i like his attitude
dont think DVZ should go as we would lack cover for rb and he at the very least has experience.

we are very low on CB's so would be surprised if thicot goes. and also don't think he has been given enough time as a player.

Dibben
25-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I hope that Stevenson stays and don't think that hes featured enough in the last year for people to criticise him the way that they have.

I think this is exactly why his career at Hibs is in doubt - he's not really pushed for a first team place for over a year!

Don't think Nish will go, think JJ is the guy earmarked to move on!

Definately think Thicot & DVZ (especially if we have another RB lined up) are iffy as well!! Also keenan is definately out!

Wouldn't be suprised for Deane, Moyes etc to go on loan till Xmas at least!

BH.

rubber mal
25-08-2009, 12:03 PM
JJ - maybe past his best but still has something to offer and I'm sure some of the younger players could learn from him;
Thicot - good squad player to have;
Stevenson - good squad player for now and still young;

Keenan - Gash;
DVZ - should definitely be on the way out when we sign a better RB;
McCann - always thought he was a pretty limited full-back pre-injury, would be ok as back-up;
McCormack - Am I right in saying that last year he was a CB being played out of position, but this year he hasn't even been considered as a replacement for Jones?

IMO