PDA

View Full Version : Question Should players be fined for "top removal" celebration?

iwasthere1972
24-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Considering players know that a yellow card is coming their way for removing their top while celebrating scoring they consistantly do it. It either ends up with them receiving a further yellow in the match and sent off or could contribute towards a suspension at a later date.

Whether you think the law is fair or not doesn't really matter. What does matter is the likelyhood that players make themselves unavailable for selection due to what I would call stupidity. By all means celebrate but keep your top on.

Should players be fined by their club if they continue to do this? I say YES as it may stop them from repeating it in the future.

KEEP YOUR TOPS ON. :agree:

Jim44
24-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I said, half seriously, half in jest, after Bamba was booked on Saturday, that a player should be fined half a weeks wages for a booking for unacceptable (to the powers that be that is) celebration. And then fine him the other half for another yellow card in the same game. A tad Draconian I admit, but clubs should take some sort of serious action against these offenders.

--------
24-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I said, half seriously, half in jest, after Bamba was booked on Saturday, that a player should be fined half a weeks wages for a booking for unacceptable (to the powers that be that is) celebration. And then fine him the other half for another yellow card in the same game. A tad Draconian I admit, but clubs should take some sort of serious action against these offenders.

Yup. Everyone should know by now that taking his shirt off will result in a yellow card. This can lead to the club being deprived of his services later in the season.

Similarly any player leaving the field of play is running the risk of being cautioned and carded.

Clubs should crack down on this.

Rehearsed goal celebrations are another thing I'd like to see completely outlawed. they waste time and usually they're mind-warpingly, cringeingly STOOPID.

Hibee87
24-08-2009, 04:44 PM
What exaxctly did bamba get booked for on sat? from what i seen his shirt wasnt off and all he did was celebrate with the manager etc, IMO very very harsh booking benji done the same thing last week and the ref never said a thing

stubru59
24-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I always thought we were in the entertainment business. Why not simply put a time limit on it - say 30-45 sec - and then book for time wasting.

Future17
24-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Not sure about Hibs, but most EPL clubs and clubs abroad will fine players for certain types of bookings already.

Removal of shirt is one, dissent is another and I'm sure there are other examples.

iwasthere1972
24-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I always thought we were in the entertainment business. Why not simply put a time limit on it - say 30-45 sec - and then book for time wasting.

Why not just go back to the old days when men were men and a firm handshake was enough. How cringeworthy is it watching footballers jumping on top of each other and grabbing the odd wee kiss. As far as having a time limit that's a non starter as far as I am concerned.

Hibs Class
24-08-2009, 05:22 PM
What exaxctly did bamba get booked for on sat? from what i seen his shirt wasnt off and all he did was celebrate with the manager etc, IMO very very harsh booking benji done the same thing last week and the ref never said a thing

It's now well understood that, rightly or wrongly, running into the crowd or removing your shirt is a booking, but this is the first time I've seen it done for celebrating with your manager. This is bound to be a new area of inconsistency, and it will only be a week or two before we see a similar celebration and no booking.

Hibs Spain
24-08-2009, 05:28 PM
What exaxctly did bamba get booked for on sat? from what i seen his shirt wasnt off and all he did was celebrate with the manager etc, IMO very very harsh booking benji done the same thing last week and the ref never said a thingYeh,consistency would be a good start when it comes to refs.

CyberSauzee
24-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Similarly any player leaving the field of play is running the risk of being cautioned and carded.

At ref's discretion: see here (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2142853&postcount=14)

No one knows see here again (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2142853&postcount=14)

Can only think he didn't get back on to the field quickly enough - too much time celebrating = time wasting??? dunno, ask the ref!

Riordans Boots
24-08-2009, 06:08 PM

He left the field and ran to Yogi to celebrate and jumped onto Yogi - who went aff his heid at Bamba to get back and then the ref booked him.

heidtheba
24-08-2009, 09:10 PM
We talking about mens or womens football here...
sorry chauvenistic but I couldn't resist :duck:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Considering players know that a yellow card is coming their way for removing their top while celebrating scoring they consistantly do it. It either ends up with them receiving a further yellow in the match and sent off or could contribute towards a suspension at a later date.

Whether you think the law is fair or not doesn't really matter. What does matter is the likelyhood that players make themselves unavailable for selection due to what I would call stupidity. By all means celebrate but keep your top on.

Should players be fined by their club if they continue to do this? I say YES as it may stop them from repeating it in the future.

KEEP YOUR TOPS ON. :agree:

Should players be fined for "top removal" celebration?

Fines should be double for those with 3 nipples, and Nade :jamboak:
:greengrin

erin go bragh
24-08-2009, 09:26 PM
for leaving the field of play.[to celebrate with yogi] leaving the field of play is an bookable offence:grr:wtf who is making all these fin rules[blobby williamson i think] trying to take all the fun out of the game

CyberSauzee
24-08-2009, 09:49 PM
for leaving the field of play.[to celebrate with yogi] leaving the field of play is an bookable offence:grr:wtf who is making all these fin rules[blobby williamson i think] trying to take all the fun out of the game

Wrong

basehibby
24-08-2009, 10:30 PM

:top marksI think that should be the basic rule - along with obvious crowd incitement or anything that could cause real danger to the spectators.

I think the taking yer shirt off booking is a daft one although they all know the rules so it would be entirely reasonable for it to result in a statutory fine from the club. As for Sol's booking on Saturday - that made no sense at all but he can't really complain as many refs would have booked him for his retaliatory bitch slap/shove later on.

Jonnyboy
24-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Given that the whole point of football is to try and score goals and that when teams succeed in doing that their supporters go mad, it seems to me that rules which are designed to punish players for celebrating are killing the spectacle. I agree shirts should not be removed and that players shouldn't look as though they are trying to jump into the crowd but when Bamba was booked at Falkirk, he did neither.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2009, 10:38 PM
So long as a player does not incite opposition fans or reveal a t-shirt bearing political messages on it, they should be able to celebrate any way they want.

Obviously there should be a time limit, though. I don't think there should be a huge delay between a goal being scored and play being restarted.

hibsdaft
24-08-2009, 11:54 PM
wtf who is making all these fin rules[blobby williamson i think] trying to take all the fun out of the game

:agree::agree:

givescotlandfreedom
25-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Some bookings do deserve a fine IMO. Nish's v St. Mirren was a silly, silly booking from someone who's playe long enough to know better. I'm not sure about Bamba's, more than a hint of killjoy there.

Steve-O
25-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Jeezo, what a bunch of party poopers on here! :rolleyes:

The rule is completely stupid! I could not care less what the players do as I am usually celebrating the goal myself at the time!

Not sure what the problem is unless the player incites the opposing fans?

Be interested to hear why people think taking a top off merits a booking other than reasons such as "its just stupid" etc :confused:

RoslinInstHibby
25-08-2009, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=FalkirkHibee;2144939]So long as a player does not incite opposition fans or reveal a t-shirt bearing political messages on it, they should be able to celebrate any way they want.
QUOTE]

:top marks why dont they just ban celebrations all together, then they can kick out fans who dare to applaud their team scoring a goal or jump up to celebrate.

Jim44
25-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Surely, the issue here is not one of disapproving or approving the celebration of a goal. Of course we're all delighted and understand the antics of players when they score. The bottom line has to be the possible jeopardy that a yellow carded player puts the team in, in terms of another card in the same game or adding to a record which in due course will impact on that players availability, perhaps at a crucial stage in the season. Enjoy, but keep the heid, lads.

J-C
25-08-2009, 09:43 AM
The yellow card was brought in to stop players having t shirts with religious/political statements on them. If a player takes off his top with nothing written anywhere I can't actually see the problem apart from giving some of the female supporters a wee ogle at their bodies.:greengrin

Bamba's yellow on saturday was absurd, by all means yellow card a player who leaves the pitch and goes towards the fans but to celebrate a goal with his manager is just rediculous.

I think a fine for these rediculous cards is wrong.

iwasthere1972
25-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Surely, the issue here is not one of disapproving or approving the celebration of a goal. Of course we're all delighted and understand the antics of players when they score. The bottom line has to be the possible jeopardy that a yellow carded player puts the team in, in terms of another card in the same game or adding to a record which in due course will impact on that players availability, perhaps at a crucial stage in the season. Enjoy, but keep the heid, lads.

:agree: That's the message that I am trying to get across. In most fans eyes the rules are pretty silly but the players know what's what and as soon as the top is removed they get hit with an unnecessary yellow card. Some fans however are not grasping the point.

Steve-O
25-08-2009, 09:58 AM

That's not the point of the thread though.

Steve-O
25-08-2009, 10:01 AM
:agree: That's the message that I am trying to get across. In most fans eyes the rules are pretty silly but the players know what's what and as soon as the top is removed they get hit with an unnecessary yellow card. Some fans however are not grasping the point.

I'm not sure you are grasping the point :greengrin

Are you the OP? Now I can't remember!

Anyway, the point of the thread (I thought anyway), was should this rule actually exist, not should the players be booked when the rule does exist?

So, my view -

The players shouldn't do it while the rule exists as it's a daft booking.

BUT

The rule is completely stupid and shouldn't exist in the first place.

Jim44
25-08-2009, 10:02 AM
That's not the point of the thread though.

Well the OP in his own words seems to agree with this view.:dunno:

iwasthere1972
25-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure you are grasping the point :greengrin

Are you the OP? Now I can't remember!

Anyway, the point of the thread (I thought anyway), was should this rule actually exist, not should the players be booked when the rule does exist?

So, my view -

The players shouldn't do it while the rule exists as it's a daft booking.

BUT

The rule is completely stupid and shouldn't exist in the first place.

I am the OP. :agree:

The point of the thread is should the players be fined by the club for removing their top. Not asking anyone if they disagree with the rule as it's there whether we like it or not. It's just that you see players week in week out receiving an unnecessary yellow card which could at a later date contribute towards them not be available for selection. They know the rule but still IMHO stupidly give the ref reason to book them.

I am all for the clubs fining the players should they do this.

As far as other celebrations are concerned that's not up for discussion on this thread. :greengrin

Steve-O
25-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I am the OP. :agree:

The point of the thread is should the players be fined by the club for removing their top. Not asking anyone if they disagree with the rule as it's there whether we like it or not. It's just that you see players week in week out receiving an unnecessary yellow card which could at a later date contribute towards them not be available for selection. They know the rule but still IMHO stupidly give the ref reason to book them.

I am all for the clubs fining the players should they do this.

As far as other celebrations are concerned that's not up for discussion on this thread. :greengrin

For some reason I read "fined" as "booked" :faf::blah:

Sorry about that! :greengrin

iwasthere1972
25-08-2009, 10:53 AM
For some reason I read "fined" as "booked" :faf::blah:

Sorry about that! :greengrin

Apology accepted. :greengrin

Archie89
25-08-2009, 11:02 AM
So long as a player does not incite opposition fans or reveal a t-shirt bearing political messages on it, they should be able to celebrate any way they want.

Obviously there should be a time limit, though. I don't think there should be a huge delay between a goal being scored and play being restarted.

completely agree with this.:agree: I don't see anything wrong with any celebration as long as it is with your own fans, players or management team. I like to see that the goal meant as much to them as it did to me.

I must say though I have no idea why anybody would want to take their shirt off after scoring a goal.
unless I had the misfortune of playing for hertz and I screwed up as I deliberately tried to put the ball past the post and it went in, then i would remove my shirt, shorts, socks, run down the tunnel, out the stadium and cry in my car for a while before driving home.

monktonharp
25-08-2009, 11:46 AM
any player wiith mantits should be immediately banned for 8 weeks,if he takes the kit off.:wink:

cwilliamson85
25-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Two sides of the argument. Players get caught up in the moment and the roar of te crowd makes them take there top off.

Other side is that you have players like Nade :nade: who will score a last minuet winner and take his top off.

My ruling is keeping them on especially :nade:

heidtheba
25-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Dunno about that last point...anything that makes me feel like I have a much better physique than a professionally paid 'athelete' can only be a good thing IMHO

Having said that its only happened 18/19 times so far yeah? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I think we have found the reason why Nade never scores.:wink: