PDA

View Full Version : SPL - A 2 week review

Baw187
24-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Much has been posted over the last couple of weeks about our prospects and much hilarity has been exhumed at the expense of our deluded chums across the city – I do wonder, however, if we’re getting a bit blinded by the excitement of these 2 factors.

Lets take a subjective look at how things are looking 2 weeks in to the season.

The SPL

Again our league looks sub standard in quality, if not entertainment. Celtic look ok but I’m not convinced they have improved and Rangers definitely haven’t. That means we’re looking at another season where the Old Firm are ‘relatively’ week compared to previous years. Last year, no other team was able to generate enough consistency to bridge the gap and, so far, I wouldn’t expect it to be any different this year.

Some on here might say we have strengthened enough to possibly challenge, but I would say that would be a little premature and slightly biased.

Hibs

We are definitely better than last year but that wouldn’t take much. Yogi’s tactics are more exiting than Mixu’s and I’d hope based on what I have seen so far, they will be more successful. Success for us will be consistency in terms of beating the teams we should beat at home and away. So far so good given St Mirren and Falkirk fall in to that category. Saints showed they are hard to beat against Utd so we did ok but, if we are to be honest, we’d have expected wins in these 2 games. If we’d had Hearts opening 2 fixtures, would we have faired any better than them? Hard to tell at this point although we’d clearly have offered more of an attacking threat.

Jury’s out as yet but signs are promising as long as we can strengthen at the back in terms of fullbacks and CB cover. Also, we’ve been without arguably our best player in Zouma so will be interesting to see how Yogi shapes the team with a full squad to pick from. From reading various formation and team suggestions on this site, it’s clear nobody knows what our best team and formation is and I am not sue Yogi does either. We have a lot of attacking options and how best we use this from game to game will be crucial in our success.

Hearts

Ok, firstly it has been great watching them get horsed and the fact Lazlo’s getting all hot and bothered about the lack of investment is brilliant. But they aren’t as bad as we are hoping… certainly not relegation material. They obviously need to find goals from somewhere but arguably against Utd, Hearts had more of the ball even with 10 men. Also first half against the Hun, they were the better team, although Rangers were as poor as I have seen them for a while and had 10 men. When Driver comes back, Hearts will pose more of an attacking threat and will be solid enough to grind out results here and there. Hearts IMO will be top 6 this year despite my hopes to the contrary.

Conclusion

*****ing long way to go so lets all calm our beans….. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
24-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't think any of us would have taken it for granted that maximum points would have been achieved against St Mirren and Falkirk. So 6 points from our 2 opening games has probably exceeded most fans expectations. We can only beat what's put in front of us.

Dundee Utd away and Rangers at home were always going to be tough matches for the Yams and I expected them to at least have 2 or 3 points by now. Their fault they couldn't keep 11 men on the field at Tannadice and despite being a goal and a man up against the huns they bottled it. :agree:

No I don't expect the Yams to be relegation fodder this season but can see them struggling to be up in the top six if they don't do well in their next couple of SPL fixtures. A good drubbing against the Croats again would put Csaba under enormous pressure and may even signal the end of his time in Gorgie.

I'm not getting carried away but will enjoy Hearts misery while it lasts. :devil:

--------
24-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Day at a time.

This was a good week for the Wee Team - so enjoy it.

Yogi at least is absolutely under no misconception - there's a long road ahead of us to het to where we want to be, and it'll take us more than this season to get there.

But he's put a smile back on my face and I'm looking forward to the journey.

Baw187
24-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Day at a time.

This was a good week for the Wee Team - so enjoy it.

Yogi at least is absolutely under no misconception - there's a long road ahead of us to het to where we want to be, and it'll take us more than this season to get there.

But he's put a smile back on my face and I'm looking forward to the journey.

:agree:

I'm very happy with the way things are going... although a little pragatism never hurt anyone !

We've been here before, getting ourselves all giddy at the prospect of a good season and a keek one for the Hertz, and it hasn't went that way.

One team I forgot to mention was Motherwell.. They look like they have goals in their side, albeit, don't think they will be consistant enough throughout the season to challenge for 3rd.

ancient hibee
24-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Without playing well we've managed to beat two teams who will struggle all season.Hearts have lost narrowly to two teams who will be in the top six-one of these games being lost to a dodgy penalty-long way to go.We have been very lucky with the fixture list giving Hughes time to bed players in.