PDA

View Full Version : NHC Daryl Broadfoot article on Scottish game

TheEastTerrace
24-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not normally Daryl Broadfoot's biggest fan, but this article is pretty much on the money IMO

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2527055.0.Scottish_football_no_longer_ has_an_appetite_for_success_just_survival.php

There is normally an over-exaggeration of the Scottish game's plight when the clubs perform badly in Europe and the national team takes a bit of hiding, but I sense things could well be as bad as they appear to be. I have to say, when I watched Hibs-Falkirk on Saturday and tried to objectively summarise the game, all I could think was that it was a miracle that each team held onto possession for more than 3 or 4 passes. Same with the Huns-Yams game yesterday.

euro Hibby
24-08-2009, 10:01 AM
yeah excellent article....... I read somewhere that to progress in football you need to play or practise 24 hours per week. Kids today might play 6 hours a week when not long ago you used to play for hours during the summer months. Look at other sports - swimmers train 4- 6 hours per day. Circus performers put in long hours to perfect their skills while footballers at least in Scotland probably don't actually train enough.
We used to have great players but with no head for the game ! Now we have very average players with still no head for the game.

Sad fact is that everything has been done to keep the old firm at the top to the detriment of the game in general.

Keith_M
24-08-2009, 10:36 AM
...Circus performers put in long hours to perfect their skills...

I foresee comments related to Zibby coming up...

:wink: