PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Walter

johnrebus
24-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I nearly choked on my Corn Flakes yesterday to see all the newspapers full of Walter Smith spouting pish about the state of the National Game and how everybody and their granny is to blame for it.

Can this really be the same Walter Smith who walked out on Scotland - when the country was on the verge of qualifying for Euro 2006 - to return to the Huns ?

Two questions;

1. Why is the odious man afforded such gravitas by the media ?

2. Does his hypocrisy know no bounds ?

:grr::grr::grr:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I know that I am biased but I would say that in this country, the start of the Souness era was the start of the downfall. As Celtic had to try and match them, the call went out that young scots players had little or no chance of playing for the country's two biggest clubs as they were now buying in foreigners. If UEFA could have held on to the minimum of home nationals in the domestic teams, we would not be where we are.

Steve20
24-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Can this really be the same Walter Smith who walked out on Scotland - when the country was on the verge of qualifying for Euro 2006 - to return to the Huns ?

To be fair, he would have been stupid to have turned the offer from the huns down. I would have done the exact same in his position if Hibs made me an offer.

johnrebus
24-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Stupid? Why?

Scotland were on the verge of qualifying for their first major tournament in ten years and walked out!

:confused:

Steve20
24-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Stupid? Why?

Scotland were on the verge of qualifying for their first major tournament in ten years and walked out!

:confused:

I don't believe that Scotland would have qualified. Rangers are his team and they mean more to him than Scotland. As I say, I would have done the same thing if it was Hibs.

PeeKay
24-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Don't think that Smith walking out on the national team did that much to damage the Scottish game to be honest. However, he himself has certainly played a big part in stunting the development of young talent in Scotland. He is on record as being totally against having to have young players named in the squad for SPL games. But hey, Uncle Walter could stick a trumpet up his @rse and the Scottish media would lovingly record every note.

J-C
24-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Out of the 11 players on the park yesterday, 3 were developed by Hibs, 1 an elderly Hearts player, 1 from Kilmarnock, an Irishman, an EPL reject, 2 foreigners, a playboy goalie and a rangers player from their own ranks. So it's good to see the Rangers academy has brought through a bundle of players over the years eh!

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Its the bloody OF who are partly(and a bl00dy good part) to blame for the state of our game,as soon as there was a threat from other clubs they bought their players,just look at the OF,littered with Hibs players,anyone who was a threat was bought and benched.Walter Smith is a traitor to Scotland and Scottish fitba,fu-- him. Bun bast-rd.The buns are in so much 5hit just now due to the for every 5 quid you spend we will spend 10quid mentality.that is their downfall,not investing in youth and not giving SCOTTISH youth a chance, you two face OF ba5trds,really gets oamn ma thrupennies.Its everyones fault but the f,n OF,if you had listened to us about Setanta blah blah blah.F-----F

OH AYE F,OFF TAE ENGLAND

Peevemor
24-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Out of the 11 players on the park yesterday, 3 were developed by Hibs, 1 an elderly Hearts player, 1 from Kilmarnock, an Irishman, an EPL reject, 2 foreigners, a playboy goalie and a rangers player from their own ranks. So it's good to see the Rangers academy has brought through a bundle of players over the years eh!

It's the best in Scotland, divven't ye ken?

Keith_M
24-08-2009, 10:40 AM
My take on this is that, while you could (possibly) justify him leaving the national team, he should retain a distinguished silence on matters related to it.

IMHO, jumping ship when the team still had a chance of finally qualifying for the finals disbars him from having any legitimate right to comment on the state of the national side. Unless, of course, he includes managers such as himself and McLeish as being part of the problem.

hibs1875aye
24-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I nearly choked on my Corn Flakes yesterday to see all the newspapers full of Walter Smith spouting pish about the state of the National Game and how everybody and their granny is to blame for it.

Two questions;

1. Why is the odious man afforded such gravitas by the media ?

2. Does his hypocrisy know no bounds ?

:grr::grr::grr:

He is one odious, sneaky hun traitor as you say.

The unfortunate reality is, we did need him. The bigger irony is, he has the cheek and gall to complain about the state of Scottish football.

This is why we should never allow huns to manage Scotland. And why Souness shouldnt even be allowed in Hampden is a toilet cleaner, let alone the manager:grr:

Dinkydoo
24-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm not saying that he did the "morally right" thing qwhen he jumped fae the national side to Rangers, but the considerable increase in his monthly wage is too big a difference to ignore imo.

I agree that he shouldn't be allowed to have a "public" opnion on matter such as these as he just simply makes an arse of himself and winds people up who really care about the Scottish side - me included.

The OF are notorious for hypocrisy - so theres nae change there.

But you would have thought, somewhere along the line that somebody associated with either club just get a grip and notice that the sun doesny shine out of thier blue and green, bigoted bumholes.:grr:

That is all.....:faf:

Jonnyboy
24-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Uncle Walter eh? Good all round guy and butter wouldn't melt in his mouth

Try telling Chick Young that

:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG27qGTMXa4

poolman
24-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Must have been someone else's fault when they paid out £12m for that puddin Tore Andre Flo :rolleyes: