Judas Iscariot
24-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Sun reporting nish is a £200k target for scunthorpr

Big Rob been bigging him up doon there aye :greengrin

Bite their hand oaf :agree:

Double our money on him :cool2:

col02
24-08-2009, 08:25 AM
If Nish goes I think it will become evident what he brought to the team in his absence. Not everyone's cup of tea but his assist and goal record at Hibs is pretty decent.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2009, 08:32 AM
If Nish goes I think it will become evident what he brought to the team in his absence. Not everyone's cup of tea but his assist and goal record at Hibs is pretty decent.

I agree. The man is an embarrassing mess and not easy on the eye, but the paradox is that he's one of the most effective players in the Scottish game.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I agree. The man is an embarrassing mess and not easy on the eye, but the paradox is that he's one of the most effective players in the Scottish game.

And all thats wrong in the game in scotland. Get rid asap, and build a side that can play without this lumbering statue.

Part/Time Supporter
24-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying:

off their hands bite

dublinhfc
24-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Sun reporting nish is a £200k target for scunthorpr

Bye Bye Nishy.....thanks for................bein g Hibs answer to Nade?

Riordan
Stokes
Benji
JJ
Byrne

Dont see the need for the big man

GreenPJ
24-08-2009, 08:46 AM
And all thats wrong in the game in scotland. Get rid asap, and build a side that can play without this lumbering statue.

Aye now lets blame Nish for the state of Scottish fitba as well.

Peevemor
24-08-2009, 08:49 AM

:agree: Even if you play the prettiest football around, there are times when you need a big huddy to mix(u) it up front.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Aye now lets blame Nish for the state of Scottish fitba as well.

Yes, why not. Its also his fault england won the ashes too.

s.a.m
24-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Yes, why not. Its also his fault england won the ashes too.

No. That was Maka's fault.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 08:51 AM
:agree: Even if you play the prettiest football around, there are times when you need a big huddy to mix(u) it up front.

I agree, although that huddy has to be able to stay upright most of the time, he also needs to know the rules regarding the off side rule. If we could sign a big huddy who knew how to do these 2 basic things, then i'd for one be in favour of us getting him.

lapsedhibee
24-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Its also his fault england won the ashes too.Did they? I hadn't seen or heard that mentioned anywhere.

Peevemor
24-08-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree, although that huddy has to be able to stay upright most of the time, he also needs to know the rules regarding the off side rule. If we could sign a big huddy who knew how to do these 2 basic things, then i'd for one be in favour of us getting him.

Until such time, one can only urinate with the p enis one has. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Did they? I hadn't seen or heard that mentioned anywhere.

Aye, they are keeping it a secret down here too.:boo hoo:

RIP
24-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Colin did well the last two games. Unfortunately to date he lacked a strike partner who was fast enough to make the runs into the channels.

In the Gary O'Connor days that man was Deek. These days whilst Riordan is far and away our best striker in dead ball situations he has lost much of his pace. One feeble attempt to go round his man on the left wing confirmed that on Saturday to the away support. However his 2 fantastic goals on Saturday secured his place in the team, probably on the left wing.

Stokes on the other hand is the ideal striker to play off a target man. I think that Nish and Stokes will be an ideal partnership in the season ahead. :thumbsup:

MyJo
24-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't actually mind Nish and I think he is a decent player but for every goal he scores he squanders 2 opportunities and his inability to stay onside causes so many attacking moves to break down that its just not funny.

He gives us an option up-front but if I'm being honest its an option I think we could live without, wouldn't be too fussed if this went through and good luck to him if he wants to try his luck in the championship

Frazerbob
24-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Riordan
Stokes
Benji
JJ
Byrne

You've taken that too far! I wouldn't compare Lee Power to Nade!

I think we now have plenty forwards at the club and Nish will eventually find himself 4th choice so, take the cash if it's being offered. However, I will temper that by saying, of the forwards you listed, one is totally untried at 1st team level or even the reserves, one was shocking last season and never scored a single goal in half a season with us and one was public enemy number 1 until a week ago.

Whatever you think of the big man, he's one of us. If he is to leave I hope he is a success, if stays I'll be quite happy because he will contribute again this season.

marinello59
24-08-2009, 09:18 AM
However let's not forget, whatever you think of the big man, he's one of us. If he is to leave I hope he is a success, if stays I'll be quite happy because he will contribute again this season.

:top marks

If Only
24-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Riordan
Stokes
Benji
JJ
Byrne

What exactly do you mean by this post?

Houchy
24-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Riordan
Stokes
Benji
JJ
Byrne

Don't see the need for your post either. Ok, he's not the easiest on the eye but he does what it says on the tin. As many people will acknowlege, he's scored goals, held the ball up and had a fair share of assists. I've already said on another post that, playing in the front line we have now, highlights any shortcomings he has, but he's an honest player that gets his head down and doesn't go in the huff when things aren't going for him.

Hibs answer to Nade my hoop, Hearts would bite our hands off if we offered him to them for probably any of their front line.:bye:

Ritchie
24-08-2009, 09:31 AM
:pray:

aberhibsfc
24-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Sell him,

I appreciate he's a Hibby and he's a staturesque player up front. At best he's a 10 a season player. I'd rather persevere with Riordan, Stokes, Benji, JJ & Byrne.

Hughes must rate him though as he's played the first two games with Riordan being subbed. The best way to see how much we'd miss him is to see Hibs play without him, if the attack is worse for it then fair enough. Personally I just don't think he offers that much to the team. It really makes you hanker back to the times of a strong striker who can also bag goals, Keith Wright and more recently Killen. It's fine to have big strikers but they have to score goals or at least offer a threat and create opportunities for others.

rightwinger
24-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Nish is a huddy but our strikeforce would be very lightweight without him.

For a so-called targetman, he's not the best at holding the ball up and tends to fall over an awful lot but he does put in a good shift up front, unlike the majority of our other more luxury-type forwards. He's also useful for defending set-pieces, particularly in the absence of Jones.

He scores a few goals and on Saturday won us the free-kick for our third goal. I felt that his link-up play with Stokes also improved as the game went on.

If Hughes and Petrie are happy with him leaving then fine, but I don't think he's necessarily a player we should be shoving out the door. Huddy or not, we don't have an abundance of hard-working 6ft 3in forwards.

Not for the first time, I think its a case of our favourites not quite being as effective as we think and our huddies not quite being as bad as we sometimes say either.

hibeemarley
24-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I say keep him.

We all know he isn't the greatest and a bit of a lump but he does score and he does get assists, which is more than I can say for JJ

scoopyboy
24-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Sell him,

I appreciate he's a Hibby and he's a staturesque player up front. At best he's a 10 a season player. I'd rather persevere with Riordan, Stokes, Benji, JJ & Byrne.

Hughes must rate him though as he's played the first two games with Riordan being subbed. The best way to see how much we'd miss him is to see Hibs play without him, if the attack is worse for it then fair enough. Personally I just don't think he offers that much to the team. It really makes you hanker back to the times of a strong striker who can also bag goals, Keith Wright and more recently Killen. It's fine to have big strikers but they have to score goals or at least offer a threat and create opportunities for others.

For all we know Benji and JJ could be away sooner rather than later, that would leave us with Riordan, Stokes and an untried laddie. Heaven help us should we get a suspension or injury.

Nish is unpredictable and probably isn't good enough for where we are hoping to be but the one thing in his favour over any of our forwards is he helps defend set pieces. With the lack of height in our team this seems to be a point all the Nish bashers have overlooked.

euro Hibby
24-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Got the full 90 minutes reply of the game on TV here in Italy and was like all happy with the result but not with the rest. A lot of high balls into the box and thats because its an easy option if you aim them at Nish. Whether he is able to control the ball is another story. This said he works hard and I agree he will get his 10 goals in the season. As regards Byrne, I have not seen him so don't know if he is similar or better. In Yogi we trust, at least for now !

IWasThere2016
24-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying:

off their hands bite

:agree: Not my kind of player .. not enough basic attributes.

Westie1875
24-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Imagine another rumour like this appearing in the rags this week, who do we play this weekend again?? :hmmm:

brog
24-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Colin did well the last two games. Unfortunately to date he lacked a strike partner who was fast enough to make the runs into the channels.

In the Gary O'Connor days that man was Deek. These days whilst Riordan is far and away our best striker in dead ball situations he has lost much of his pace. One feeble attempt to go round his man on the left wing confirmed that on Saturday to the away support. However his 2 fantastic goals on Saturday secured his place in the team, probably on the left wing.

Stokes on the other hand is the ideal striker to play off a target man. I think that Nish and Stokes will be an ideal partnership in the season ahead. :thumbsup:

:top marksYep, I'm not a big Nish fan but the difference with ( a half match fit ) Stokes running the channels off him was apparent on Saturday. I posted previously that biggest difference with Deeks now was his loss of that vital yard of pace & that hopefully he'll compensate elsewhere & he certainly did that at weekend. :thumbsup:

Leith Green
24-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I've said it umpteen times before, and I'll say it again.

There is no way in this world that Colin Nish is a lone striker, and seeing as yogi is setting us up that way (451/433) then he isn't any use..

His inability to hold up the ball and subsequently link up play with the att midfielders is detrimental to the way we play at the moment..

Colin Nish is a decent striker when played alongside another striker who can do all of the above.

I would accept any offer that came in for him.

Leith Green
24-08-2009, 10:50 AM
:top marksYep, I'm not a big Nish fan but the difference with ( a half match fit ) Stokes running the channels off him was apparent on Saturday. I posted previously that biggest difference with Deeks now was his loss of that vital yard of pace & that hopefully he'll compensate elsewhere & he certainly did that at weekend. :thumbsup:

Please explain how you think Nish is a target man??

He has absolutly no strength. and never wins a header.. He very rarely keeps hold of the ball either//

Leith Green
24-08-2009, 10:51 AM

He has absolutly no strength. and never wins a header.. He very rarely keeps hold of the ball either//

Perspective
24-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Given our depth up front, we'd be mad not to take £200,000 if it was offered.

As decent as Nish is, he's not as good as Riordan, Stokes or Benji. We're still lumbered with JJ and Byrne also deserves a chance.

Not sure Nish is good enough in the air or at holding the ball up to be a target man. Thought Benji held it up well when he came on against Falkirk - great first touch, sucks the ball in, draws a foul or lays it off.

Re-invest in two full-backs and we'll be fine.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2009, 10:57 AM
As I have said before, I am a fan of Colin Nish but I agree that he hasn't really done too well in the opening two games.

He needs to learn how to keep himself onside for a start.

He is not the prettiest player to watch but his goals record at Kilmarnock and now Hibs is quite good for someone who is supposedly a "huddy".

To compare him with Nade is just ridiculous.

Barney McGrew
24-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Nish is unpredictable and probably isn't good enough for where we are hoping to be but the one thing in his favour over any of our forwards is he helps defend set pieces. With the lack of height in our team this seems to be a point all the Nish bashers have overlooked.

:agree:

He made some great clearances on Saturday, one in particular when he stopped what would have been a tap in for Falkirk.

zlatan
24-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Imagine another rumour like this appearing in the rags this week, who do we play this weekend again?? :hmmm:

But these stories are meant to unsettle us not unite the fans in hope and prayer.

I do like Nish but he'd be bottom of my starting list up front now with the quality we now have.

Plus £200k is a decent offer that could help pay for the defenders we need.

snooky
24-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Snap! :agree:

The_Horde
24-08-2009, 11:27 AM
For all we know Benji and JJ could be away sooner rather than later, that would leave us with Riordan, Stokes and an untried laddie. Heaven help us should we get a suspension or injury.

Well lets bite their hand off and sign a big cahunt defender? :wink:

hibs1875aye
24-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Thus far nothing confirmed other than ***** printed in that rag and folk have Nish hung, drawn and quartered.

He isn't the best but he's certainly not as bad as some would paint him. As for the comment about 10 goals a season - how many did the wonderful Fletcher bang in last season? And he was bound for bloody Real/Bareclona/Brazil/insert bull**** as required

:grr:

He is not brilliant or even overly great but he is not as pish as some rate him here.

Kaiser1962
24-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Agreed. What Nish does, and does very well, he puts himself about and takes the hits (and dishes out a few!) He creates space by tying up centre halfs by involving them in a war of attrition. We wont miss it till its gone.

Hibs90
24-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Am I the only person that doesn't want Nish to leave?

--------
24-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Agreed. What Nish does, and does very well, he puts himself about and takes the hits (and dishes out a few!) He creates space by tying up centre halfs by involving them in a war of attrition. We wont miss it till its gone.

He didn't play well on Saturday until late on - ironically, until Benji came on and we started playing more balls through on the ground, to the strikers' feet. His last 15 minutes were IMO very good - the whole team improved towards the end of the game - and if he played like that every week, there'd be no question against his place in the squad.

Delboy4
24-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Don't want him to go either, we need someone up front who is tall and puts himself about.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont rate him, he imho is just not very good. I dont see a place for him in the side, should everyone be fit, I dont get just because he is the only big front man we have, we need to keep him because of that. A big front man should be able to hold the ball up, stay on his feet, and onside, keep the ball long enough to let the midfield support him. Can anyone say that is what he's good at? Yes he trys, but surely we want better than a trier? If the rumours true, and someone has offered £200k for him, snap their hands off, and strengthen the other parts of the team that need better players. We will be fine without chumba wumba.

--------
24-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I dont rate him, he imho is just not very good. I dont see a place for him in the side, should everyone be fit, I dont get just because he is the only big front man we have, we need to keep him because of that. A big front man should be able to hold the ball up, stay on his feet, and onside, keep the ball long enough to let the midfield support him. Can anyone say that is what he's good at? Yes he trys, but surely we want better than a trier? If the rumours true, and someone has offered £200k for him, snap their hands off, and strengthen the other parts of the team that need better players. We will be fine without chumba wumba.

Any idea who's made inquiries, bh?

RIP
24-08-2009, 01:29 PM

:agree: Anyone who things you can compete in the SPL without a big striker who contributes 10 goals and 10 assists a season is living in cloud cookoo land IMO

Nish regularly wins headers and last season forged an excellent aerial partnership with Fletcher. However in pre-season there was no-one running off him. Now since Stokes arrival he has a fast striker making the runs.

Had Anthony hit the net at the weekend Colin would have been credited with a couple of assists. Add to that a couple of crucial headed clearances in his own box and it's easy to understand where big Nish gives Yogi value for money. In the next couple of weeks he will add to the two goals he rattled in at Dunfermline and then we maybe can close the book on this one!

Hibbyradge
24-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I like big Nishy.

He gives his all, defenders always know they've been in a game when they play against him, he scores a reasonable number every season, he plays a big part when we're defending set pieces and he's proud to be a Hibby.

He won us the free kick for our third goal on Saurday and against St Mirren, he played a huge part in our first so his contribution this season has already been significant.

Of course there are better players than him, but while he gives his all in a Hibs shirt, I'll defend him.

vanNISHtelroy
24-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Think you will miss the big man if he goes, some people don't seem to see the work he does.

If he could put the ball in the net a bit more he'd be at a big club!

Theres still folk at Killie games that reckon we were lucky to get rid of him, but more folk realising that he was an important player.

truehibernian
24-08-2009, 01:39 PM
We are also only two competitive games into the season, with the whole side, Colin included, trying to play the way the new boss wants. Against St Mirren his first touch did let him down at times and he was slow to get the ball away.....however he was a part in the equaliser (holding it up and giving in the build up) and he nearly put Benji in. Against Falkirk, yeah he was again becoming frustrating with the poor touch, but he laid a couple on for Stokes and gave the defence some cover at set pieces. The most important role he has (I have heard) is in the dressing room, where he is a funny guy to have around the place and loves a laugh and a joke at the right times. To me, that is what Yogi has built this season, a fun place to work on and off the pitch and everyone looking like a team player and working hard for each other. Does Nish's head ever really go down when the fans are on top off him ? Stokes and Riordan will always grab the limelight as they are far more talented and skillful players, but every team needs a grafter up front and someone who can also chip in with a few (oh and his goal v Dundee Utd last year was hardly a tap in so he does have some striking prowess).

Leith Green
24-08-2009, 01:45 PM
:agree: Anyone who things you can compete in the SPL without a big striker who contributes 10 goals and 10 assists a season is living in cloud cookoo land IMO

Nish regularly wins headers and last season forged an excellent aerial partnership with Fletcher. However in pre-season there was no-one running off him. Now since Stokes arrival he has a fast striker making the runs.

Had Anthony hit the net at the weekend Colin would have been credited with a couple of assists. Add to that a couple of crucial headed clearances in his own box and it's easy to understand where big Nish gives Yogi value for money. In the next couple of weeks he will add to the two goals he rattled in at Dunfermline and then we maybe can close the book on this one!

Thats not my point..

I actually know Colin, and have spoke to him about many football related things, one of these being about him being deployed as a target man ( during mixus reign). Colin is adament himself that he hates being used in the target man role as he feels his attributes aren't best suited to that particular role. He himself knows it, and it's blindly obvious to anyone watching. Nish is most effective as a penalty box striker and as such he is at his best when played with someone else up top to do the dirty work.

Nish is often bullied by central defenders, and very rarely wins headers.

The way Yogi is setting up makes the lone striker role the most important position in the team in my opinion,it's not about scoring ten a season or even direct assists. He needs to be able to do a lot more than Nish has in his locker..

What is the point in playing a passing game, if when it reaches your striker he loses possesion of the ball? Which is so often the case with Nish..

Never a target man in a million years..

ScottB
24-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Considering Jones' performances so far, I can't imagine Scunthorpe will be rushing to snap up any of our other players...

BigKev
24-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Scunthorpe manager says it's a lot of rubbish. link (http://www.sportscunny.co.uk/scunthorpeunited/Adkins-denies-Scottish-striker/article-1279063-detail/article.html)

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Any idea who's made inquiries, bh?

It was a rumour someone said on here, but seems by this, it was nothing.
http://www.sportscunny.co.uk/scunthorpeunited/Adkins-denies-Scottish-striker/article-1279063-detail/article.html

heidtheba
24-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I think there is always a place for a player who gives his all, can throw himself around and, from what I can make out, seems to want to die for the cause.
Adds another dimension and thats not a bad thing IMHO.

stevensons-fan
24-08-2009, 02:27 PM
We are also only two competitive games into the season, with the whole side, Colin included, trying to play the way the new boss wants. Against St Mirren his first touch did let him down at times and he was slow to get the ball away.....however he was a part in the equaliser (holding it up and giving in the build up) and he nearly put Benji in. Against Falkirk, yeah he was again becoming frustrating with the poor touch, but he laid a couple on for Stokes and gave the defence some cover at set pieces. The most important role he has (I have heard) is in the dressing room, where he is a funny guy to have around the place and loves a laugh and a joke at the right times. To me, that is what Yogi has built this season, a fun place to work on and off the pitch and everyone looking like a team player and working hard for each other. Does Nish's head ever really go down when the fans are on top off him ? Stokes and Riordan will always grab the limelight as they are far more talented and skillful players, but every team needs a grafter up front and someone who can also chip in with a few (oh and his goal v Dundee Utd last year was hardly a tap in so he does have some striking prowess).

:top marks I totally agree with all that.

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I think there is always a place for a player who gives his all, can throw himself around and, from what I can make out, seems to want to die for the cause.
Adds another dimension and thats not a bad thing IMHO.

I think i'd rather he joined the army with those credentials.:faf:

BSEJVT
24-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry,

Dont know how to link from another site but if you look at BT Yahoo. Hughes is quoted as saying he doesnt want to lose anyone from starting 11.

He then goes on to say he is looking to bring in another 2 but 3 or 4 may need to go.

He is quoted as saying that these 3 or 4 need to convince him they are something special to get a game before who he plans to bring to club.

Guesses for the 3 or 4?

Thicot
DVZ
Stevenson
McCormack
Keenan
JJ

.SeventyFive
24-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Best swagger in Scottish football, so for that reason I think he should remain with Hibs.

500miles
24-08-2009, 04:07 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps Hibs should be playing Riordan like Rangers play Boyd? Because the Nish/Stokes partnership will influence flow of the game more.

Hank Schrader
24-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Best swagger in Scottish football, so for that reason I think he should remain with Hibs.

Glad I am not the only one who has noticed that :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
24-08-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/

17.03 Hibernian manager John Hughes has made it clear that he does not want to sell any of his current starting XI amid speculation linking Colin Nish (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5511766,00.html) with a move to Scunthorpe.

erin go bragh
24-08-2009, 06:20 PM
As I have said before, I am a fan of Colin Nish but I agree that he hasn't really done too well in the opening two games.

He needs to learn how to keep himself onside for a start.

He is not the prettiest player to watch but his goals record at Kilmarnock and now Hibs is quite good for someone who is supposedly a "huddy".

To compare him with Nade is just ridiculous.
:top marksnish has scored more goals in 2 seasons than nade has scored in 9 seasons. im not a massive nish fan but he does give 100% every game. he looks very awkward ,runs funny and is about as sharp as a snail on vallium.
on the plus side he has good control with the ball at his feet, will score 10 goals a season with lots of assists. 200 thousand ? no thanks as he will be a good squad player this season. but to compare him to nade:confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
24-08-2009, 06:23 PM

He looks like he's carrying a television under each arm.

Bishop Hibee
24-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I like big Nishy.

He gives his all, defenders always know they've been in a game when they play against him, he scores a reasonable number every season, he plays a big part when we're defending set pieces and he's proud to be a Hibby.

He won us the free kick for our third goal on Saurday and against St Mirren, he played a huge part in our first so his contribution this season has already been significant.

Of course there are better players than him, but while he gives his all in a Hibs shirt, I'll defend him.

:agree: When you think of some of the donkeys who've disgraced the Hibs shirt as "strikers" such as Power, Konte, and Hurtado for three then think of how crap AOB was, it's a disgrace the stick Nish gets.

I'd get rid of JJ who has down nothing for Hibs ahead of Nish.

As for comparing him with Nade :bitchy:

Latapy1911
24-08-2009, 06:33 PM
hope nish stays, he is very underated, helps set up and can score goals

and can hold up the ball, I always thought he was better than fletcher and an off form deek

plus hes a hibee so he cares more than others

GlesgaeHibby
24-08-2009, 06:44 PM

:top marks top post BH.

Nish is a carthorse.

He has a poor touch, no pace, lack of fitness, no strength, always on his arse, always offside.

What do people genuinely see in him?

Bishop Hibee
24-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Nish is a carthorse.

He has a poor touch, no pace, lack of fitness, no strength, always on his arse, always offside.

His goals and assists record.

ballengeich
24-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Nish is a carthorse.

When he was with Kilmarnock I'd probably have agreed with you, but since he joined us I've realised he's much more skillful than I'd realised. I believe he's 12th in the all-time Premier goalscorers table, and most of Hibs better attacking moves last season involved him linking cleverly with other forwards. He's not an international player, but he's a distinctly better than average premier forward. Tall gangly players look worse than others when they make mistakes, but given his overall contribution the criticism he gets is quite ridiculous. I hope he stays.

ancient hibee
24-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Much better Nish stays up front to take the big lumps from nasty defenders-he must be murder to play against-awkward and with a poor(sometimes)touch he is also capable of moments of skill-like the goal he laid on for Fletcher at Parkhead.

JimBHibees
24-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Nish is a carthorse.

He can be infuriating and his touch isnt the best however he can make and take a chance and is a handful due to his size. He both scored and made a fair number of goals last season so think people are being too critical of the guy.

sesoim
24-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd take £200k, even £150k for Nish. Hopefully JJ can start doing the business in his place. Then next summer I'd sign Kevin Kyle for free to replace him if he's still rubbish.

hibee_girl
24-08-2009, 08:27 PM
When he was with Kilmarnock I'd probably have agreed with you, but since he joined us I've realised he's much more skillful than I'd realised. I believe he's 12th in the all-time Premier goalscorers table, and most of Hibs better attacking moves last season involved him linking cleverly with other forwards. He's not an international player, but he's a distinctly better than average premier forward. Tall gangly players look worse than others when they make mistakes, but given his overall contribution the criticism he gets is quite ridiculous. I hope he stays.

:agree:

500miles
24-08-2009, 09:25 PM
If you were to ask me a fair price for Nish i would say £500k.

However, he is worth more to the team than his market value.

sleeping giant
24-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Nope !

Long Live Colin Nish:cool2:

HibeeUnderwood
24-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Scunthorpe manager says it's a lot of rubbish. link (http://www.sportscunny.co.uk/scunthorpeunited/Adkins-denies-Scottish-striker/article-1279063-detail/article.html)

That link says Scunny paid us 350k for Jones, surely must have been more than that! and its also supposed to be an "undiclosed fee" so I'm taking that page with a pinch of salt.

I don't think Nishy will leave, surely because we are his boyhood heroes that even if they made an offer and "the tash" accepted it, he'd pick us over them! :confused:

HibeeUnderwood
24-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry,

Dont know how to link from another site but if you look at BT Yahoo. Hughes is quoted as saying he doesnt want to lose anyone from starting 11.

He then goes on to say he is looking to bring in another 2 but 3 or 4 may need to go.

He is quoted as saying that these 3 or 4 need to convince him they are something special to get a game before who he plans to bring to club.

Guesses for the 3 or 4?

Thicot
DVZ
Stevenson
McCormack
Keenan
JJ

Hughes had better not get rid of Stevenson!

He's got the biggest potential out of that lot and is without doubt one of our best players!

We need DVZ as McCann's the only other right back and I think McCormack may stay too but thats pushing it.

I would not be surprised if JJ, Keenan and Thicot were not here by the end of the month.

sunshine1875
25-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Nope! Stokes wants Nish to stay.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5512455,00.html

Is this a case of the 'pretty burds always go out with one ugly one' scenario?

davemcbain
25-08-2009, 11:25 AM
His goals and assists record.
and an earlier quote "When you think of some of the donkeys who've disgraced the Hibs shirt as "strikers" such as Power"

For what it's worth Lee Power had an excellent goals/appearances ratio and an a similar stat for assists - both would put Nish to shame. (Mainly because he didn't have that many starts and scored as an "impact" sub on a few occasions.

Not saying he was a great player, or dissing Colin Nish on this front - just pointing out that stats don't tell you much at all.

rainman
25-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Hughes had better not get rid of Stevenson!

He's got the biggest potential out of that lot and is without doubt one of our best players!

We need DVZ as McCann's the only other right back and I think McCormack may stay too but thats pushing it.

I would not be surprised if JJ, Keenan and Thicot were not here by the end of the month.

He can't live off this potential forever.

The time is now for Stevenson. If he doesn't secure a first team place this season with the new batch pushing through ahead of him, he will be out the door and joining the long list of players placed under the heading "Potential not realised."