PDA

View Full Version : Stokes for Fletcher...?

heidtheba
23-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Just out of interest...

Bit premature as the lads only just signed BUT I'd have been more than happy to have done a direct swap for these two with no other cash taken into account. Player v Player Top Trumps does anyone else feel that Stokes would edge out Fletch...?

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Too early to say, but i think Stokes will score more goals than Flether. The signs are good.:pray:

FRes Hibbie
23-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Just out of interest...

Bit premature as the lads only just signed BUT I'd have been more than happy to have done a direct swap for these two with no other cash taken into account. Player v Player Top Trumps does anyone else feel that Stokes would edge out Fletch...?

I agree. I always thought Fletch was overrated. That said I'm pretty happy the way it turned out: we shift Fletch for £3m and get Stokes for £500k
(or there abouts)! Good luck to Fletch and all that and I respect him for not going to Rantic but I definitely think we got the better end of the deal.

.SeventyFive
23-08-2009, 01:31 PM
To be honest, I would have swapped Fletcher for Stokes before he left.

Never rated him and was delighted we got 3 million for him.

VegasHibby
23-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Just out of interest...

??? don't quite understand your question. Straight swap ? Didn't we get 3 mil for Fletcher and payed around 500K for Stokes. Sounds like a good deal to me......
And yes I do think Stokes will be a better addition. He'll score a few and he'll make alot of chances/assists........

heidtheba
23-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry,
If we had swapped Fletcher for Stokes how would you have felt? We've pretty much got one striker out and one in plus some cash this year but forget that.
Would Stokes the player for Fletcher the player, as a concept, have been a deal you would have been happy with.

IWasThere2016
23-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Too early to say, but i think Stokes will score more goals than Flether. The signs are good.:pray:

:agree:

£3m for Fletch was very good given his shortcomings.

Sir Mixulot
23-08-2009, 02:00 PM
:agree:

£3m for Fletch was very good given his shortcomings.

Don't supppose anyone could tell me (perhaps someone in the know:wink:) if there were any additional clauses written into SF transfer?
Do we get a percentage of the sell on fee?
Do we get money based on appearances or goals?
Really would like to know so cheers to anyone who could enlighten me any shape or form!:greengrin

Houchy
23-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry,
If we had swapped Fletcher for Stokes how would you have felt? We've pretty much got one striker out and one in plus some cash this year but forget that.
Would Stokes the player for Fletcher the player, as a concept, have been a deal you would have been happy with.

Now that i've seen the positions Stokes can get himself into without any "match" fitness, i'd have to say yes. If you'd asked the same question just based on paper before Fletch left, then no.

Now that we got a net £2.5m (roughly) profit on the transfers, it seems a genius bit of business.

Beefster
23-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Just out of interest...

No. Fletcher has proven his quality in the last few years. Stokes is still to prove that he can do it for a prolonged period.

While I'm delighted with Stokes' signing, folk need to retain some perspective. We've not achieved anything other than show that we can beat two clubs that narrowly avoided relegation last season. Hearts' woes don't have any bearing on how good or bad we are either.

Dashing Bob S
23-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Some-tahms its naatran accident...

GlesgaeHibby
23-08-2009, 02:56 PM
An assist today to give Burnley the lead.

Fletch was class. Great movement and all round play. He may not be the biggest goalscorer but his all round contribution was great.

Still £3m for him and getting Stoke's in has been great business.

IWasThere2016
23-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Don't supppose anyone could tell me (perhaps someone in the know:wink:) if there were any additional clauses written into SF transfer?
Do we get a percentage of the sell on fee?
Do we get money based on appearances or goals?
Really would like to know so cheers to anyone who could enlighten me any shape or form!:greengrin

We get some additional £s if they stay up .. I think :wink:

jgl07
23-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Fletcher is currently playing for Burnley against Everton.

I am watching it on my mate Justin's tv and he certainly does not look out of place.

Burnley do play with a nice style with none of the hoofball used by recently promoted teams such as Hull and Stoke.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Fletcher is currently playing for Burnley against Everton.

I am watching it on my mate Justin's tv and he certainly does not look out of place.

Burnley do play with a nice style with none of the hoofball used by recently promoted teams such as Hull and Stoke.

You know justin too, lovely lad.:wink:

hibsdaft
23-08-2009, 04:15 PM
watched the second half today and it seems that Coyle is utilising Fletcher perfectly and exploiting his best assets by playing him on the right: his stamina, work-rate, link up play and left foot.

he's covering the whole right hand side of the pitch from the edge of their box up to the other end of the pitch, tracking back brilliantly and getting stuck in with some of those flying Fletcher tackles, linking up with other players playing proper on-the-deck football and when he cuts in with the ball he's already on his left foot to take a shot.

not done anything to get the headlines yet but you can tell the Burnley fans already think highly of him and i think he's going to have a cracking season especially when playing at home.

his talent was never in doubt imo i just think last season he was distracted maybe thinking already of the future (he missed so many one-on-ones and sitters last year), was struggling in a team playing ***** hoofball and imo wasn't utilised very effectively by Mixu.

we got good money for him at the right time, but i think people are making a mistake to write him off for the future. he's going to go through another phase of progress and development this season after 12-18 months of stagnation at the end of his time at ER and if Burnley go down may well get a move to a slightly bigger Premiership club.

heidtheba
23-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Says a lot if they think highly of him because for an EPL side to splash £3m (and I think he is their record signing?) on him it would have been so easy for them to have been highly cynical of him right from the start...

Best of luck to him

Franck is God
23-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I've said for the last couple of years that I think Fletch will go on to be one of the best if not the best player to come through Hibs youth system.

He has everything a modern striker needs to play at the top level. He is good on the ground, decent in the air, has a bit of pace, good height and build and a great attitude to the game.

He is now playing in one of the top leagues in the world and looks like he belongs there, he is still young and will only improve with every game he plays.

I have never understood the negativity on this board about Fletch, he was a top player for us and will be a top player in the future. He scored a double for us in a cup final and we got a good transfer fee for him and unlike two of our other youth products didn't travel along the M8 to sit on the bench after waiting for his contract to expire.....

VegasHibby
23-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry,

Yes definitely would have accepted a straight swap for Fletcher out and Stokes in. Stokes has a certain hunger and goal scoring prowess that I think Fletcher lacked in the end. Fletcher had his mind made up a while ago to leave and if he hadn't gone south he would have gone to Rantic for sure.

Sir Mixulot
23-08-2009, 06:38 PM
You know justin too, lovely lad.:wink:

I know who I'm supporting this season in the EPL then:greengrin!
Any idea at all of the sort of fee involved:wink:?

hibsdaft
23-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I've said for the last couple of years that I think Fletch will go on to be one of the best if not the best player to come through Hibs youth system.

He has everything a modern striker needs to play at the top level. He is good on the ground, decent in the air, has a bit of pace, good height and build and a great attitude to the game.

He is now playing in one of the top leagues in the world and looks like he belongs there, he is still young and will only improve with every game he plays.

I have never understood the negativity on this board about Fletch, he was a top player for us and will be a top player in the future. He scored a double for us in a cup final and we got a good transfer fee for him and unlike two of our other youth products didn't travel along the M8 to sit on the bench after waiting for his contract to expire.....

agree with most of that but you can't deny that he is one of the most shockingly one footed players around

i think people lost faith in him last year because despite showing flourishes of raw talent here and there he simply missed stacks of one-on-ones and great chances, often when trying to get on his left foot too - very frustrating !

jdships
23-08-2009, 07:32 PM
agree with most of that but you can't deny that he is one of the most shockingly one footed players around

i think people lost faith in him last year because despite showing flourishes of raw talent here and there he simply missed stacks of one-on-ones and great chances, often when trying to get on his left foot too - very frustrating !

:top marks

Franck is God
23-08-2009, 08:27 PM

He is predominantly left footed but so what. I agree that there were times where i wished he'd just have a swing with his right and take a chance and he didn't but that is something that he can improve over time.

We were never going to see the best of Fletch at ER only flashes just like every other quality player we bring through the youth system. It was my biggest disappointment under Mixu, JC brought Fletch on hugely and actually turned him into a striker, Mixu did nothing other than try to turn him into a target man which was just a waste.