23-08-2009, 12:23 PM
no more than a booking tho. Blacks challenge on Monday night was much worse

cleanyman
23-08-2009, 12:34 PM
no more than a booking tho. Blacks challenge on Monday night was much worse

Nope, that was a red card.

Frazerbob
23-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I didn't think it possible to despise the man any more than I already did. The man is a complete coward.

Newhaven
23-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I didn't think it possible to despise the man any more than I already did. The man is a complete coward.

:agree:

Over the moon he got a red. Keith Jackson may help him pay the fine

Toaods
23-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Although I hate the guy with a passion that was terrible refereeing as usual from him and I wouldn't expect any less from Ian Black.

It was a attempt to block a punt up the park and the trailing leg caught Black - a booking for sure but not exactly a malicious challenge. Bamba had far worse challenges yesterday.

Did Thomson(Craig) fail to notice the leading leg was certainly hurled out but at least one ot two foot in front of Black's boot??

what about a decent refereeing allowing for that plus Thomson(Kevin) just back from a long absence and booking him with a strong word.

murder decision - reminded me of Rankin's booking yesterday where his trailing knee caught Twaddle.

forthhibby
23-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Although I hate the guy with a passion that was terrible refereeing as usual from him and I wouldn't expect any less from Ian Black.

It was a attempt to block a punt up the park and the trailing leg caught Black - a booking for sure but not exactly a malicious challenge. Bamba had far worse challenges yesterday.

Did Thomson(Craig) fail to notice the leading leg was certainly hurled out but at least one ot two foot in front of Black's boot??

what about a decent refereeing allowing for that plus Thomson(Kevin) just back from a long absence and booking him with a strong word.

murder decision - reminded me of Rankin's booking yesterday where his trailing knee caught Twaddle.

it's quite worrying if referees are now saying those types of challenges are red card offences, don't think they'll be many games finishing 11 v 11

Luna_Asylum
23-08-2009, 12:52 PM

which ones?

Toaods
23-08-2009, 12:54 PM
which ones?

almost all of them - he leads with his shoulders and arms - I'm not saying Bamba was dirty either but he does impact the man direct, Thomson and Rankin merely caught the other player, both low down, neither with any studs.

Watch the second half of the hearts game - there will be worse challenges than Thomson made by both sides that don't even have a foul awarded against them.

Luna_Asylum
23-08-2009, 01:01 PM
almost all of them - he leads with his shoulders and arms - I'm not saying Bamba was dirty either but he does impact the man direct, Thomson and Rankin merely caught the other player, both low down, neither with any studs.

Watch the second half of the hearts game - there will be worse challenges than Thomson made by both sides that don't even have a foul awarded against them.

Bizzare.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 01:01 PM

I cant agree toads, Thomsons tackle was an ankle breaker, a cowardly tackle. None of Bamba's tackles were.

sahib
23-08-2009, 01:04 PM

He can hardly leave them behind in the dressing room!

HibeeUnderwood
23-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Sent off:greengrin

GIRUY:agree:

Ha Ha! :thumbsup:

Thomsons a fud!

Sent off for a tackle on Black. He should have tried to break the wee fanny's leg!

greenlex
23-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I am with Toaods on this. Barely a yellow. Shocking decision. Hearts player did exactly the same in tee second half(I forget who) and wasn't even spoken to. One if the better refs too but got that wrong along with the penalty decision. CrIb Thomson had spoor game IMO

Sylar
23-08-2009, 04:26 PM
An unquestionable booking, but never in a million years was it a red! Still, Thomson evened it up, as it was never a penalty either.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I disagree, i have watched it again. Thomson made no attempt to go for the ball. That was dangerous play in anyones book, and thats why it was a red card. It was a cowardly tackle, a tackle he thought he would get away with, one of those tackles that lets the player know he's in a game. It was dangerous, he caught the players standing leg, while making no attempt to play the ball. Straight red, correct in my book.

maturehibby
23-08-2009, 04:38 PM
A no loser for a Hibby a judas kicks another - great

Brando7
23-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Not seen the tackle in question yet but what i heard from guys on radio was shocking & for tratior walter to come out with a statement saying "I don't think there was any great contact made and obviously if there had been, the player would never have been able to continue in the manner he did do for the rest of the game" says to me the intent was there n he deserved to go

GIRFUY :greengrin

Hibs Class
23-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I disagree, i have watched it again. Thomson made no attempt to go for the ball. That was dangerous play in anyones book, and thats why it was a red card. It was a cowardly tackle, a tackle he thought he would get away with, one of those tackles that lets the player know he's in a game. It was dangerous, he caught the players standing leg, while making no attempt to play the ball. Straight red, correct in my book.

:agree: Exactly how I saw it

Toaods
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM

his leading leg was angled but in front of Black and Black's outstretched boot. He clearly did attempt to play the ball and not the man as he dived in hard to block the flight of the ball, just like Jonesy done every week and millions of others around the planet do for a living . Bamba done the same last week at ER to a standing ovation.

brownlies bits
23-08-2009, 07:47 PM

No doubt about it he had to go :top marks

New Corrie
23-08-2009, 08:54 PM
A Hibs fan tries to cement a Maroon Balloon at Tynie, and still ends up on the winning side.....Tremendous:top marks

s.a.m
23-08-2009, 08:59 PM
A Hibs fan tries to cement a Maroon Balloon at Tynie, and still ends up on the winning side.....Tremendous:top marks

Leaving aside the technical (un)niceties
of the incident, this is how I'm feeling!

PaulSmith
23-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Straight red for me, Thomson had no intention whatsoever of playing the ball, lunged in from several yards and the only thing that was stopping him was Ian Black's legs.

“Using excessive force”means that the player has far
exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of
injuring his opponent
• Excessive force = red card

Danderhall Hibs
23-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree with TOAODS - it was worthy of a yellow card.

It reminded me of the tackle Morais got sent off for at Motherwell a couple of years ago.

Toaods
23-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree with TOAODS - it was worthy of a yellow card.

It reminded me of the tackle Morais got sent off for at Motherwell a couple of years ago.

good recall....that's you, me, Greenlex and Walter Smith in agreement then. :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
23-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm still not sure if it was a definate red or not but that's the same kind of challenge the snidey little coward does all the time!

Remember when he nailed Yantorno like that last season knowing fine well he'd just came back from the same injury he had in the past!

He's a complete coward, will never EVER go into a 50-50 tackle like that but will fly in reclessley when he knows he won't be in danger..

If that was a Hibs player I reckon he'd of walked aswell and if it happened to a Hibs player we'd be screaming for a red for the opposition player..

Fletcher walked for far less last season so in that context it was a straight red..

Nae joy for him anyway..

Horrible little welt..

Sir David Gray
23-08-2009, 09:16 PM
When I saw it live, I thought he had to go. Then I saw it in slow motion from one angle and it looks worthy of no more than a booking and then I saw it for a third time, again in slow motion, but from a different angle and it looked like a red card again.

I've seen worse tackles being met with yellow cards but I can see why the referee's given it.

Personally I think Ian Black knew what he was doing and was "cute".

Still, I've got no sympathy whatsoever with Thomson. :bye:

RickyS
23-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I am with Toaods on this. Barely a yellow. Shocking decision. Hearts player did exactly the same in tee second half(I forget who) and wasn't even spoken to. One if the better refs too but got that wrong along with the penalty decision. CrIb Thomson had spoor game IMO

Sure its Thomson (craig) who's a Yam, formerly of the Rainbow bus in Corstorphine:agree:

brog
24-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Scottish refs are far too quick to reach for cards IMO. At weekend the 6 SPL games resulted in 26 yellows & 1 red whereas 10 EPL games, including 2 London derbies, resulted in 21 yellows.
The refs are aided & abetted by our wonderful media, both yesterday & today they were saying Bamba should have been sent off. What for a goal celebration & a hand flick ( which missed ) at a player who had pulled his hair? Conroy actually got it right for once. If we applied the standards the journos want then about 4 would have had to go with the funny playground scuffle at end of Yams game yesterday.
PS, anyone want to bet how many yellows/reds Susie will pick up this season? Talk about a face you want to punch!

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Scottish refs are far too quick to reach for cards IMO. At weekend the 6 SPL games resulted in 26 yellows & 1 red whereas 10 EPL games, including 2 London derbies, resulted in 21 yellows.
The refs are aided & abetted by our wonderful media, both yesterday & today they were saying Bamba should have been sent off. What for a goal celebration & a hand flick ( which missed ) at a player who had pulled his hair? Conroy actually got it right for once. If we applied the standards the journos want then about 4 would have had to go with the funny playground scuffle at end of Yams game yesterday.
PS, anyone want to bet how many yellows/reds Susie will pick up this season? Talk about a face you want to punch!

:top marks The reactions by players and fans in scotland to the smallest of infingements, is way over the top. Its like small children screaming for every little thing that goes wrong. And as you say, the press go way over the top too. It used to be a mans game, with working class morals, now the game is for pussies, who squeel murder at every opportunity.:bitchy:

rightwinger
24-08-2009, 10:14 AM
It was a late, needless, and reckless two-footed lunge by Thomson. He got nowhere near the ball and, had Black not jumped out the way, serious injury would have been caused. There should be no onus on any player to jump out the way of an opponent's challenge.

I'm not a fan of referee Thomson, I don't particularly like Hearts or Ian Black (understatement), and I know that worse challenges sometimes escape with a booking.

Nonetheless, there is no place in the game for those sort of challenges. Needless, right in front of the ref and the dugouts, what's the matter with the guy? Does he think he's above the laws of the game? Evidently.

The point is we want players in this country to play football. Those of Thomson's alleged ilk should be setting the example of a proper professional footballer. Get the ball down and show some technical ability, poise, and panache. So many people say that Thomson has all those attributes. Personally, I think he's made it through circumstance, hard-tackling and blowing his own trumpet. The evidence of yesterday supports this view entirely.

If I want to see players flying into reckless challenges on a whim, I'll go and watch a juniors match, rather than pay considerable ticket prices and tv subscriptions to watch the best this country has to offer. It's exactly what Craig Levein is getting at - there's too much emphasis on being fit and hard than on technical ability in this country. Levein's teams are tough but fair and they generally try to play. As supporters, we sometimes don't help things. Technically, the three most rounded and subtle midfielders we've had in the last five years have been Beuzelin, Glass and Rankin - players that we've regularly criticised while the more combative types like Thomson have enjoyed much more flattering reputations.

Let's see how ambiguous the reaction is on here if and when Thomson tries that on wonderboy Deeks later in the season.

hibs1875aye
24-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The fact its apparently been a gross miscarriage of justice make it all the sweeter.

Kevin (who is apparently a "good Hibby" from what I have read on here) will hopefully read this thread.

If so GIRFUY. Seems like playing for the "boyhood heroes" doesn't (on this one occassion) guarantee immunity from red cards.

Couldnt have happened to a nicer judas sneaky little **** IMHO :agree:

lapsedhibee
24-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Needless, right in front of the ref and the dugouts, what's the matter with the guy? Does he think he's above the laws of the game? Evidently.

:agree: It was tattooed on his forehead while the ref was sending him off: "What? You're sending me off? While I'm wearing a Rongers shirt?"

Caversham Green
24-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Just seen the tackle on the BBC highlights and it looks borderline yellow/red. He can't have too many complaints.

Obua's tackle on Miller for which he got booked looks worse though, at least in intent. If the ref was looking to even things up that was the perfect opportunity.