PDA

View Full Version : Jones injured

(((Fergus)))
23-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Defender Rob Jones had to go to hospital after picking up an injury in Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.

The club record signing was stretchered off wearing an oxygen mask, and with a brace on his head and neck, midway through the first half after a five-minute delay.

He was taken to Sheffield Hospital, where he was accompanied by goalkeeping coach Kevin Pressman.

When addressing the media after the game, Iron boss Nigel Adkins confirmed the player was in a nasty way and is a big doubt for Tuesday's Carling Cup second round clash at Swansea.

Sounds a bad yin. Hope he's OK.

BryanV
23-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Sounds a bad one at the time; but the fact he is doubtful for the game on Tuesday suggests it is not too bad.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope he's fine. Did anyone see the goals from yesterdays scunthorpe game? He was turned inside out for the 2nd, and looked awful in the clip i saw. Another heavy defeat for the big mans team.

WindyMiller
23-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Looked poor, on what I saw, but took a bad one off the post that knocked him out.

hibee_girl
23-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I hope he's fine. Did anyone see the goals from yesterdays scunthorpe game? He was turned inside out for the 2nd, and looked awful in the clip i saw. Another heavy defeat for the big mans team.

:agree:

Added to giving away a penalty in their cup game too he isn't having the best of starts

--------
23-08-2009, 04:45 PM

Added to giving away a penalty in their cup game too he isn't having the best of starts

The fans view appears to be that we saw them coming and they want their money back.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 04:49 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2124866963

WindyMiller
23-08-2009, 04:53 PM

:music: Rod sold Jones :music:

HH81
23-08-2009, 04:54 PM
:faf: Bob Jones :faf:

BH you have far too much time on your hands :greengrin

Franck is God
23-08-2009, 04:59 PM
The fans view appears to be that we saw them coming and they want their money back.

I hope he is ok after his injury, it was quite a nasty collision with the post he had yesterday.

However he is a very limited defender and I think Championship level is too high for him, think he'll be going back down with Scunthorpe and I can't see any other club being stupid enough to pay more money for him.

I was happy to see him away and would happily have driven him to the club of his choice to make sure he was gone.

--------
23-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I hope he is ok after his injury, it was quite a nasty collision with the post he had yesterday.

However he is a very limited defender and I think Championship level is too high for him, think he'll be going back down with Scunthorpe and I can't see any other club being stupid enough to pay more money for him.

I was happy to see him away and would happily have driven him to the club of his choice to make sure he was gone.

There was a question at first as to whether he had actually broken his neck. One or two of their fans going too far, IMO - one post I saw just said "Jones solves defensive problems" - presumably by getting himself seriously injured.

I rather view Jones' departure as 'one gone, two to go' - there are a couple of other defenders at ER right now whose departure would cause me no grief whatsoever, provided we were able to replace them adequately either from the youngsters or in the market.

However, I sincerely wish the big guy a complete and speedy recovery. He's welcome back at ER any time - but not, please, to play for us....

Aldo
23-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Was a siar yin....cleared at the post and carried on and took his head off post. Went dont like a sack o the preverbial spuds. I have watched the highlights of the English Leagues and Jones has been woeful...caught out big time and as Blackpool as stated was torn to shreds for one of the goals.

RP you are a genius. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
23-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Was a siar yin....cleared at the post and carried on and took his head off post. Went dont like a sack o the preverbial spuds. I have watched the highlights of the English Leagues and Jones has been woeful...

It was painful looking clash with the post :agree:

To be fair to Jones, Scunny are out of their depth

iwasthere1972
23-08-2009, 06:42 PM

and

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2124855228

They haven't exactly warmed to Jonesey yet have they?

Mind you one poster states Scottish football is crap. He could be right but someone should point out to him that Stockton on Tees is in England. :wink: I know what he means but Hibs can't be held responsible for English cwap. :agree:

Finally glad to hear that the big man is out of hospital and wish him a speedy recovery.

Beefster
23-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Jones seems to be another that a lot of folk are quite bitter about and taking great delight at any woes that come his way. Tragic.

I can't remember quite so many people thinking he was pish when he was here either.

Badge
23-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Jones seems to be another that a lot of folk are quite bitter about and taking great delight at any woes that come his way. Tragic.

I can't remember quite so many people thinking he was pish when he was here either.

iwasthere1972
23-08-2009, 07:13 PM

I agree he was good when at Hibs. Think we may have sold him at the right time and it may sound hard but the pasher he gets at Scunthorpe will somehow justify us selling him. Looks like Rodders may have done a good bit of business

Murphy, Fletcher and O'Connor I like to see doing well as they have moved on to bigger clubs but Jones left us for Scunthorpe. Scunthorpe I ask you. :confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I can recall starting a thread about Jones after his fantastic performance against the Old Firm at the erse-end of the season and very, very many were quick to commend his performance and worth to the team.

How things change.

I for one wish him all the best and I want all the Hibs players who go down south to further their career and do extremely well, it reflects well on us as a club.

jdships
23-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Fair comment as far as it goes .
A friend , a Hibee, was at Blackpool v Scunthorpe game said Jones was caught out time and again for pace with the ball played just wide of him.
Depends who you have around you of course , but think we all agree he wasn't the fastest over the ground .
Good business ,whatever , for Hibs !
Hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery .

--------
23-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I can recall starting a thread about Jones after his fantastic performance against the Old Firm at the erse-end of the season and very, very many were quick to commend his performance and worth to the team.

How things change.

I for one wish him all the best and I want all the Hibs players who go down south to further their career and do extremely well, it reflects well on us as a club.

Well I wasn't one.

It may take a wee while, but I think Yogi will be able to build a better back four without him than with him.

He's good in the air, all right, but at 6'7" he would have to be.

But his distribution is poor, his positioning is poor, and he lacks pace, which leads him to lie deep, which causes problems for the other defenders (how do you ever get anyone caught offside when there's a guy standing 4 yards behind you?) and for the goalkeeper (how can you see the ball coming if your centre-backs and half your midfield are parked around the penalty spot?).

I hope Scunthorpe are paying him a good salary, but I wouldn't want him back.

But I would never wish injury on him, serious or otherwise, and I'm very glad he appears to be on the mend.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Fair comment as far as it goes .
A friend , a Hibee, was at Blackpool v Scunthorpe game said Jones was caught out time and again for pace with the ball played just wide of him.
Depends who you have around you of course , but think we all agree he wasn't the fastest over the ground .
Good business ,whatever , for Hibs !
Hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery .

I'm not 100% sure, but i dont think Scunny have played blackpool yet, even in a friendly. So i think your friend has got him mixed up with someone else. If Blackpool had played scunthorpe at home, i'd have gone to see that.:confused:

lucky
23-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I actually liked him playing for Hibs. the clip I seen on TV he looked like he was having a mare. I hope he is. He and Scunny will take time to settle in that division.

BEEJ
23-08-2009, 10:04 PM
:top marks

Completely agree.

matty_f
23-08-2009, 10:12 PM
:top marks

Completely agree.

:agree:me too.

CallumLaidlaw
23-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I wish RJ a speedy recovery. He was a very important player for us for 3 years, and he lifted the League cup.
I would have him back, BUT, I dont think he fits into the type of team Yogi is building.

jakki
23-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I was in hospitality one game last season and he ran through and down the stairs. I shouted over the balcony "Rab can I have a photo with you?" and he said ok but hurry up. I got down those stairs even without my walking stick and got my photo taken with him.
Will post the photo later.
Only the next day did I hear that his new born baby was in Intensive Care at Simpsons.I will always remember that

WindyMiller
23-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Well I wasn't one.

It may take a wee while, but I think Yogi will be able to build a better back four without him than with him.

He's good in the air, all right, but at 6'7" he would have to be.

But his distribution is poor, his positioning is poor, and he lacks pace, which leads him to lie deep, which causes problems for the other defenders (how do you ever get anyone caught offside when there's a guy standing 4 yards behind you?) and for the goalkeeper (how can you see the ball coming if your centre-backs and half your midfield are parked around the penalty spot?).

I hope Scunthorpe are paying him a good salary, but I wouldn't want him back.

But I would never wish injury on him, serious or otherwise, and I'm very glad he appears to be on the mend.

And neither was I.

Succinctly put Doddie.

All the best to Jones though.

monktonharp
23-08-2009, 10:22 PM
a bit sad that Hibbies are taking pleasure about the big man having an early season nightmare at Scunny. his injury looks as if it vould have been serious.

jgl07
23-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but i dont think Scunny have played blackpool yet, even in a friendly. So i think your friend has got him mixed up with someone else. If Blackpool had played scunthorpe at home, i'd have gone to see that.:confused:
Scunthorpe have not played Blackpool since Jones arrived.

The BBC site lists all fixtures including Friendly matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/fixtures/default.stm

Someone is either mistaken or on the wind-up.

Ed De Gramo
23-08-2009, 10:27 PM

:top marks:top marks

A trophy winning captain who gave his all for us :agree:

People have short memories

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Were are you reading this from hibs fans? Seems to me its only the scunny fans who are not taking to him?:confused:

IWasThere2016
23-08-2009, 10:58 PM
:top marks:top marks

A trophy winning captain who gave his all for us :agree:

People have short memories

Spot on! I don't believe our defence is any better without him!

And as Marydoll highlights - and I've met him twice - he is an absolute gent.

CB_NO3
23-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Jones is a good SPL player where teams just hump the ball into the box and players just run into each other like the dodgems but the championship is a different kettly of fish, there is actually quality players in that league that can play football.

NOLA
24-08-2009, 01:52 PM
been released from hospital now according to bbc teltext

--------
24-08-2009, 02:05 PM
And neither was I.

Succinctly put Doddie.

All the best to Jones though.

Yup. ALL the best. And if he settles into a system that works for Scunthorpe and him, good luck to them.

Maybe he's the sort of player who can do a very specific job well, as long as he has other more technically gifted players around him.

As I've said, there are other defenders at ER right now who I'd happily see following him.

He was by no means the worst player in our defence - far from it. I just think we need quicker, more mobile and more skillfull defenders than Rob if we're going to progress over the next few years.

Some of those Scunnie fans' comments are way OTT.

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Liked the big chap, and lifting silverware doesn't happen very often for Hibs captains. That day and headed goal at Hampden makes him a Hibs great in my book.

I agree that it was a good deal for us though. He's a great backs-to-the-wall centre-half but we did defend to deep with him. His distribution wasn't the best and wouldn't really suit Yogi's passing game.