PDA

View Full Version : Right, I'm bored of Stokes now........

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2009, 09:54 PM
My childlike enthusiasm that greeted the wonderful arrival of Stokes has now finally waned.

So, who else are we going to bring in?

With just over a week left until the window slams shut (is there literally a window that closes shut or is it just a phrase? :boo hoo:), who else can you see us bringing in?

The signing of Anthony Stokes has undoubtedly raised the bar(r) in terms of expectation now so could we conceivably see another player or two coming in who will garner the same reaction as the signing of AS did or do you think Yogi will go for another couple along the lines of Cregg and McBride, i.e solid, no frills footballers who'll do a job without having us gaining involuntary erections come 3pm on a Saturday?

I think we're all fairly unanimous in stating our need for a new RB with the majority stating the need for a CB and a CM but will Yogi spring a surprise and bolster a position that we haven't pinpointed yet (Stokes being an example in the sense that not many of us would have said we were crying out for a striker)?

hibbie02
22-08-2009, 10:03 PM
My childlike enthusiasm that greeted the wonderful arrival of Stokes has now finally waned.

With just over a week left until the window slams shut (is there literally a window that closes shut or is it just a phrase? :boo hoo:), who else can you see us bringing in?

The signing of Anthony Stokes has undoubtedly raised the bar(r) in terms of expectation now so could we conceivably see another player or two coming in who will garner the same reaction as the signing of AS did or do you think Yogi will go for another couple along the lines of Cregg and McBride, i.e solid, no frills footballers who'll do a job without having us gaining involuntary erections come 3pm on a Saturday?

I think we're all fairly unanimous in stating our need for a new RB with the majority stating the need for a CB and a CM but will Yogi spring a surprise and bolster a position that we haven't pinpointed yet (Stokes being an example in the sense that not many of us would have said we were crying out for a striker)?

I think Sir you may be getting a tad too excited :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I think Sir you may be getting a tad too excited :greengrin

I just want good quality first-teamers, I don't want our new signings to only get a game for the stiffs.

:wink:

--------
22-08-2009, 11:17 PM

There is indeed a window, PH, and a large Glaswegian gentleman is employed to slam it hard down on the fingers of whatever poor desperate team manager happens to be still clinging deperately to the window-ledge of the SFA "Whae's In, Whae's Oot?" Department at the back of the Main Stand at Hampden Park at 1 minute after midnight on the 31st of August.

There's also a wee sweepstake running on whose fingers it will be this year to be smashed to smithereens by the impact.

The smart money's on Shabby Lash-low - see him in bandages and finger-splints at his press-conference a week on Tuesday explaining why Shaun Lawson's mum will be partnering Boabster up front for the Jambos for the rest of the season.

"A partnership made in heaven..." - well, someplace beginning with an 'H', anyway.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Come to think of it, Doddie, has anyone ever seen Shaun Lawson and Shabby in the same room?

Thing is, they both talk incessant sheeeite for long periods of time without ever really getting to the point.

Hmmm, any aspiring detectives on here who could solve this riddle?

Fantic
22-08-2009, 11:30 PM
There is indeed a window, PH, and a large Glaswegian gentleman is employed to slam it hard down on the fingers of whatever poor desperate team manager happens to be still clinging deperately to the window-ledge of the SFA "Whae's In, Whae's Oot?" Department at the back of the Main Stand at Hampden Park at 1 minute after midnight on the 31st of August.

There's also a wee sweepstake running on whose fingers it will be this year to be smashed to smithereens by the impact.

The smart money's on Shabby Lash-low - see him in bandages and finger-splints at his press-conference a week on Tuesday explaining why Shaun Lawson's mum will be partnering Boabster up front for the Jambos for the rest of the season.

"A partnership made in heaven..." - well, someplace beginning with an 'H', anyway.

Hailes:confused:

monktonharp
23-08-2009, 12:41 AM

I think we're all fairly unanimous in stating our need for a new RB with the majority stating the need for a CB and a CM but will Yogi spring a surprise and bolster a position that we haven't pinpointed yet (Stokes being an example in the sense that not many of us would have said we were crying out for a striker)?I do agree about RB, but if Bamba is still there,Murray,and zouma coming in,there are lots of options,not overworried at the moment.not overconvident either but RB is a problem.

Aldo
23-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Russell Anderson for me. :wink:

brownlies bits
23-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Think RB is a must, I like wee McCann lack of inches is his only problem, van Zanten has to be in the last chance saloon. Would like to see cover for CM & CD, In midfield somebody who can hold a ball and link with the strikers, we seem to have to many holding midfielders which isnt a bad thing but need a bit of craft in midfield. Big imposing centre half as well Santa sorry Rod. Heres hoping ! :thumbsup:

Jack
23-08-2009, 08:36 AM
The window canny be in Glasgow or it wouldn't have shut on Rankers fingers last season.

PaulSmith
23-08-2009, 08:43 AM
If we were to sign Russell Anderson and Boozy then we have a squad, not just a first 11, that is capable of having one of the best seasons in recent times. I think that we now have the manager to get the best of out them and also has the tactical nous to change games.

Remember though that we are only 2 months into the tenure of Hughes and the backing of the Board has been tremendous. It's mentioned on the official site today that Hughes said to the Board that he may have to get loan signings in and the Board turned round and said "just tell us who you want and let's start to build a team".

Bamba, Murray, Anderson, Zemamma, Riordan, Boozy, Benji, Stokes, JJ plus the 'grafters' and the younger players with huge potential is one hell of a squad.

GreenPJ
23-08-2009, 10:36 AM
A CH, Boozy and a RB and I think we are looking good. Would suggest we could still afford to lose 4 without being adversely effected and that could hopefully fund the arrival of the 3 players.

RoscoHibby
23-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I agree there is a need for a right back. Stick Ian Murray in there.

Hanlon Bamba Hogg Murray - looks pretty solid to me. Especially with McBride in there protecting them.

seamus88
23-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree there is a need for a right back. Stick Ian Murray in there.

Hanlon Bamba Hogg Murray - looks pretty solid to me. Especially with McBride in there protecting them.
is a left back boozy n anderson two gd additions bring back Thirrey

Scooter
23-08-2009, 11:12 AM
is a left back boozy n anderson two gd additions bring back thirrey

hanlon in a natural centre half

Pedantic_Hibee
23-08-2009, 11:13 AM
"Because of his age and because he is a full international (Stokes) I said to my board that with the window closing I would maybe have to look at bringing in players on loan, but the reply I got from them was ‘go and get your own and build your own team’. So I said that Anthony Stokes was what I want - and that is the kind of backing I am getting from the board here, I am really pleased about that."

Now that's what I call backing.

Oh how the Hearts would love to operate in this way i.e the manager identifies the player he wants and the board do all within their power to back him and bring that player in.

Of course, they'll tell us until they are blue in the face that they are run in a continental style and this is how big clubs go about their business.

Forgive me for being old fashioned, but I'd rather stay in the dark ages and support a team where the manager controls the team.

Keith_M
23-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The window canny be in Glasgow or it [would have been smashed a long time ago]

There, I've fixed it for you :wink: