PDA

View Full Version : Golf - just how GOOD is it??

lyonhibs
22-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I must admit that before about August last year, I never saw the point to golf. I'd watch the highlights of the majors, but the idea of lugging a golf bag about and thrashing a stick hopelessly at a little white ball completely unenthused me.

However, before I left for France last year I thought - "**** it, I know the French will all ask me if I like golf, so I might as well give it a shot" (being knowledgeable about golf is apparently a must for a Scottish guy??!!)

Turns out, I absolutely love it - my mates have several years experience on me, but I can (now) more or less hold my own against them. Ok, my swing is gash, only about a 2/3rds swing as it just doesn't feel natural for me to have a large steel club swinging about behind my head!! Off the tee, I'm as straight as an arrow WHEN I get good contact, but rarely does the ball go further that 150-160 yards. On occasions, my approach to the green is pretty effin' good, though 8 times out of 10 I might as well be putting with a baseball bat. I played my 1st full 18 holes at Craigentinny and found out that I'm a demon off the tee and off the fairway with a fairway wood :greengrin.

Post pay-day, I may well be looking at buying a set of clubs - looking to spend £150-£200 max, cos there's no point in me spending uber money at the moment, as I wouldn't be able to do the clubs justice.

What brands would you more experienced golfers recommend for a entry level golfer. Looking about the American Golf Discount website, names like Fazer, Ben Sawyers and Jack Nicklaus brand (Golden Bear I think) seem to be popping up for circa £170-£200.

Opinions??

Oh, and share your best shots here if you like. Mine thus far, either a chip out of a greenside bunker that I actually managed to dink on with backspin, holding to come to rest about 4 feet from the hole or an approach to a pin I couldn't see over the rise of the fairway. 140 yards odd, fairway wood to about 6-8 feet. Of course, I missed the putt for a legitimate par though!!! :grr::grr: :grr:

Sean1875
22-08-2009, 04:45 PM
How good is it?

Not very. :wink:

lyonhibs
22-08-2009, 04:47 PM
How good is it?

Not very. :wink:

That was me when I was a young whippersnapper as well.

Trust me, get a few mates together and on a decent sunny day like today (when Hibs are away from home obviously :greengrin) there are few better ways of spending a few hours.

ArabHibee
22-08-2009, 05:00 PM
It's good!! :thumbsup: Come from a golfing family, so brought up on it. Played when I was younger but haven't for a long long time. Still enjoy watching the majors though.

Thinking about taking it up again as well.

greenlex
23-08-2009, 04:35 PM
There is no better sport for an inividual to participate in. The handicap system allows players of limited ability to compete with someone who is extremly competent.
It teaches youngsters manners, honesty and integrity. It's a fantastic game. There us nothing better than playing golf on a sunny day and spending a bit if time in the 19th. Fantastic!!!!

Woody1985
23-08-2009, 06:27 PM
When I was 14/15 I used to sneak onto the Braids at about the 8th/9th hole IIRC where there was no fence beside the driving range. It was great.

Lost interest cos I got sick of travelling to the course with a set of clubs on a cart/pully thing (whatever they're called). We eventually developed a method of taking our bikes and pull the carts along and tie the bikes up there :greengrin.

I started going to the driving range a few months back with a mate and I'll tell you that hitting 100+ balls takes a bit of energy out you!

Not my best shot but I always remember a time I went to the driving range, firing a few quick shots to hit the car that collects the balls when somehow I managed to scuff the ball so badly that it bounced off the ground, hit the roof and ricoched around the next bay whilst some upper class ponce in the next bay cowered in terror. :faf: :faf: :faf:

I still laugh everytime I think of it. :greengrin

borders.cabbage
24-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Golf is the best game in the world when you're playing well.:agree:
When you're not playing well however :brickwall

Robin Williams take on golf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPrR49qsDc

Ritchie
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
id recommend you buy a set of second hand pings.

when i first started playing golf (about 6 years ago) i bought a full set of hippos (drivers, putters and irons including a bag) off ebay.

they were good but i never seemed to improve as much as i thought i would.

i then had a shot of my mates Ping G2's and i couldnt believe the difference.

that night i logged onto ebay and bought a set for about £180.
my game has improved a lot since.... i never use my driver as i can thump my 3 iron just about as long and far more straighter.

a good putter is a must too.... i've had a few now but my favourite by far is an odyssey 2-ball.

it really does make a difference if you stick to the better golf brands IMO. :agree:

Allant1981
14-09-2009, 09:15 PM
You dont need to spend a lot of money to be good at golf, my mate spent a fortune on a set and he is utter gash and he doesnt hit the ball any further than when he was using his old set. I'm pretty bad with my driver so tend to use my 3 wood off the tee and it goes just as far. I get out every other day due to where I work and I love going round the course hitting a few balls. Thats until it comes to a competition and I somehow hit every bad shot that you can possibly hit

Sylar
14-09-2009, 09:29 PM
You dont need to spend a lot of money to be good at golf, my mate spent a fortune on a set and he is utter gash and he doesnt hit the ball any further than when he was using his old set. I'm pretty bad with my driver so tend to use my 3 wood off the tee and it goes just as far. I get out every other day due to where I work and I love going round the course hitting a few balls. Thats until it comes to a competition and I somehow hit every bad shot that you can possibly hit

Still awaiting an invite for a hibs.net outing at one of the courses by the way :wink:

I played on Sunday, and played really well - went out today, and was all over the place! One bloody day's difference!

Ritchie
15-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Still awaiting an invite for a hibs.net outing at one of the courses by the way :wink:

I played on Sunday, and played really well - went out today, and was all over the place! One bloody day's difference!

my problem is consistancy too! :agree:

The Mook
15-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Sorry going to have to disagree here about golf.

For 'teaches honesty, integrity etc' read stuffy rules and anal behaviour (oo er!)

What I love about most sports such as football and tennis are the fast pace and multiple split second decisions you make throughout the game - take footie, whilst receiving a pass youre looking at where your team mates are, what the defenders are doing and weighing up several options in a constantly changing environment.

Tennis youre predicting what the spin/pace from your opponents shot will do when the ball lands and calculating your next move whilst watching where they are on the court, again all the time constantly changing, and trying to outfox them.

Theres also the competitive nature of it, pitting your wits directly against an opponent as well as the team spirit of a footie team or doubles team at tennis.

Compare this to golf. lot slower, not a team game and the stuffy rules etc. Ive tried it, not for me

H18sry
15-09-2009, 10:58 AM

For 'teaches honesty, integrity etc' read stuffy rules and anal behaviour (oo er!)

What I love about most sports such as football and tennis are the fast pace and multiple split second decisions you make throughout the game - take footie, whilst receiving a pass youre looking at where your team mates are, what the defenders are doing and weighing up several options in a constantly changing environment.

Tennis youre predicting what the spin/pace from your opponents shot will do when the ball lands and calculating your next move whilst watching where they are on the court, again all the time constantly changing, and trying to outfox them.

Theres also the competitive nature of it, pitting your wits directly against an opponent as well as the team spirit of a footie team or doubles team at tennis.

Compare this to golf. lot slower, not a team game and the stuffy rules etc. Ive tried it, not for me

Golf is about the only sport that competitors of varying ability can compete, with other golfer's on a equal standing, due to the stuffy rules and handicap system :agree:

James Connolly
16-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Just started playing again after a good few years.

Played Newbattle this afternoon; went out in 41, which I was delighted with!

Unfortunately, I started the back 9 with a bad 3 putt on the 10th; it went badly downhill from there...57 for the back 9!!!!:bitchy:

Still really enjoyed it though.

Allant1981
16-09-2009, 11:31 PM

They were doing good deals during the summer but i think the prices sre back to normal now i'm afraid, Although i get 3 people on for abut £60 per round each

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

I take it you aint very good at golf then

Golden Bear
17-09-2009, 08:22 AM

But you're allowed TWO serves in tennis ------ no such luck at golf where you've got to make the best of ONE drive and suffer the consequences of wherever it may land!

:wink:

bingo70
17-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm absolutely loving the golf just now, played a little bit as a junior but was really pish (think i actually hold duddingstons record high score :greengrin) so gave up, took it up again at the end of last summer and delighted i did so managing a couple of games a week. I'm still pish but breaking the hundred pretty regularly and broke 90 a couple of times which was my aim for the summer so i'm happy.

With regards to the equipment, i'm fairly sceptical how much difference it makes, if you do the right things in your swing then a good shot will be a good shot regardless of who manufacturs your clubs surely :dunno:

One thing that has made a big difference to my game though is getting a rescue wood, if your struggling with long irons like i was it makes a massive difference.

IWasThere2016
17-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I ****in' LOVE it! Think about golf constantly! :agree:

Was out last night with 3 buddies .. two Hibbys, Jambo and Cellic man - great hoot!

I nearly aced last night .. Was stood on 160 yard 9th hole last night, six iron in hand. Teed up, swung slow and executed the perfect right to left draw right at the flag. It bounced very front right of the green and ran at the stick only to hit the hole and rest 12 inches the other side!!! I thought it was in!

Made the simplest of magic 2s of course! Hit the pin earlier this year on same hole! The ace is coming ...

bingo70
17-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Was out last night with 3 buddies .. two Hibbys, Jambo and Cellic man - great hoot!

I nearly aced last night .. Was stood on 160 yard 9th hole last night, six iron in hand. Teed up, swung slow and executed the perfect right to left draw right at the flag. It bounced very front right of the green and ran at the stick only to hit the hole and rest 12 inches the other side!!! I thought it was in!

Made the simplest of magic 2s of course! Hit the pin earlier this year on same hole! The ace is coming ...

Old boy got a hole in one at Haddington last week, spoke to him after it and he sounded shoken up, after almost 50 years worth of trying finally done it, must have been a barry feeling.

I'm golfing this afternoon, might devalue his achievement by doing one myself, depends if i can be bothered or no :wink:

Golden Bear
17-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Well I've had eight holes in one ---------- SO THERE!

:na na:

:greengrin

sleeping giant
17-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I went golfing a few times with my ex work pals a good few years ago.
I thought.....meh but then my Wife bought me a council course membership for my Birthday:grr:

I bought crap clubs and bag for £30 from my mate and off i went to Carrickowe with a few work mates.
On the 3rd (par 3) i selected a 7 iron and played a cracking shot which bounced about 12 feet from the pin and rolled right up to the lip of the cup.
I was delighted as it was the best shot i had played but then i noticed that i had used a childs club:greengrin

Golf was ok for a few months but i soon got bored.

lyonhibs
19-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Had a bi-polar game today before piling along to the game - more or less reliably rank from the pin, followed by being more or less decent or better as soon as I thrashed my way to about 100 yards and closer to the pin!!!

Regarding council courses, Braids is better than Silverknowes by a factor to large to quantify!!! :agree: :agree:

IWasThere2016
19-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Well I've had eight holes in one ---------- SO THERE!

:na na:

:greengrin

GOLF - not crazy golf! :cool2: