PDA

View Full Version : Hogg

Russdoorsfan71
22-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Bit of a mixed bag in general from the game today, most of which are covered in the positives and negatives thread. We won and thats the bottom line.

I just wanted to see what folks on here have made of our new captain since he took the arm band and in particular his personal performances?

I've always been slightly indifferent with regards to Hoggy in his time at Hibs, some weeks he looks like a player, others he looks a total huddy.

From the way I've seen it...and granted I've only seen the Preston, St Mirren and Falkirk games,...I've been far from impressed with Hogg. His decision making/ positional sense and all round play has led to some sticky moments so far, ie. the horrible pass back to Maka last week and him being effortlessly brushed off the ball which set up a good strike from Falkirks young forward! But all round I think he's been very poor at best!

IMO I would have rather seen Bamba or Murray with the captaincy, but thats not what I want to discuss. I just want to see how folks reckon he's started the season as new Captain.

GGTTH!!!

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Not good enough to play, never mind captain the team. Not strong enough, to slow, indecisive and cant pass. That apart, he's ok.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I've always stood up for Hoggy but I am beginning to fear that Yogi may have made a rod for his own back (no pun intended) by making him captain. Has been very suspect in the first 2 games, hasn't been strong enough, judgement has been poor, and been pulled out of position a lot.

Happy with Bamba there but he's got a mistake in him, Hogg's got a mistake in him and so has Makalamby. I am a bit concerned, but hopefully we'll just outscore all the non OF teams anyway!

ronaldo7
22-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Not good enough to play, never mind captain the team. Not strong enough, to slow, indecisive and cant pass. That apart, he's ok.

Covered all the bases then G.

FWIW I think that Hoggy just needs to get back to the basics and stop all the World cup passes across the park, it's putting us under undue pressure.

Maybe the captaincy is getting to him:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
22-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought apart from the back pass to Maka he had a good game against St Mirren. His distribution in particular was good and he started a fair few moves for us. Today not as good. In general, he's not a commanding defensive presence, but not terrible either.

Judas Iscariot
22-08-2009, 03:33 PM

:agree:

Spot on, unhappy he's captain as that would appear to guarantee him a game everyweek..

shamo9
22-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Two weeks in a row Hogg has been nutmegged. this time by Darren Barr of all people:greengrin In all seriousness though, he'll have to cut that out and be harder to get past, shouldn't be getting pushed off the ball by Higdon either.

blackpoolhibs
Covered all the bases then G.

FWIW I think that Hoggy just needs to get back to the basics and stop all the World cup passes across the park, it's putting us under undue pressure.

Maybe the captaincy is getting to him:rolleyes:

To be fair my little John Travolta, i never rated him much last season either.:wink:

Sir David Gray
I think that, in an attacking sense, we are sorted this season but I do fear for us defensively.

I don't think Hogg is aggressive enough and is too easily pushed off the ball. Now that he is captain though, I can't see him getting dropped.

cleanyman
22-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Not aggressive enough but i think he did well today. Helped by Bamba many a time though.

ronaldo7
22-08-2009, 03:40 PM
To be fair my little John Travolta, i never rated him much last season either.:wink:

Never rated him either:faf:

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Never rated him either:faf:

He does not have your quick feet.:greengrin

Golden Bear
22-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks like it's Hogg's turn this week.

:wink:

ronaldo7
22-08-2009, 03:46 PM
He does not have your quick feet.:greengrin

Its all in the shoes...its the shoes I tell ye

With a wee bit Talcum powder thrown in:wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Dont start me on Nish.:wink:

ronaldo7
22-08-2009, 03:47 PM

David Van cough cough Zaaaaaaannnnnnnttttttennnnnnnnn

Hibs Spain
22-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Bit of a mixed bag in general from the game today, most of which are covered in the positives and negatives thread. We won and thats the bottom line.

I just wanted to see what folks on here have made of our new captain since he took the arm band and in particular his personal performances?

I've always been slightly indifferent with regards to Hoggy in his time at Hibs, some weeks he looks like a player, others he looks a total huddy.

From the way I've seen it...and granted I've only seen the Preston, St Mirren and Falkirk games,...I've been far from impressed with Hogg. His decision making/ positional sense and all round play has led to some sticky moments so far, ie. the horrible pass back to Maka last week and him being effortlessly brushed off the ball which set up a good strike from Falkirks young forward! But all round I think he's been very poor at best!

IMO I would have rather seen Bamba or Murray with the captaincy, but thats not what I want to discuss. I just want to see how folks reckon he's started the season as new Captain.

GGTTH!!!I thought Bamba was outstanding today. So strong,athletic,with not a little skill.He really went for everything and got just about everything.And why Yogi picked Hogg as captain ahead of Murray is a weird one. Hogg is struggling and is getting worse as far as I'm concerned... Made a complete hash of a ball in his own box in the first half.. Lucky it didn't cost us.. It was a classic "never try it in your own box thing".. And he started shouting at Maka,like it was his fault :confused:

Littlest Hobo
22-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Hogg probably couldn't believe his luck when Yogi made him Captain. Yogi's first big mistake as far as i'm concerned and his performance today only highlighted that for me.:confused: Good result, ****ing awful performance! Can't wait for wee zouma to come back into the side and show that lot how to ****ing pass a ball!

heretoday
22-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Hogg is in the proud tradition of Hibs centre backs. He looks like international class one minute and makes a total howler the next.

Mibbes Aye
22-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Hogg probably couldn't believe his luck when Yogi made him Captain. Yogi's first big mistake as far as i'm concerned and his performance today only highlighted that for me.:confused: Good result, ****ing awful performance! Can't wait for wee zouma to come back into the side and show that lot how to ****ing pass a ball!

Hogg has flaws to his game but he wasn't lucky to be made captain. He's been a consistent part of our defence over the last few years that has out-performed the team as a whole and he was good enough to be POTY the season before last. He's been cited as one of the strongest characters in the dressing-room, well before Jones left, so getting the captaincy is far from a shock.

We focus on mistakes and that's natural but over the piece he's played his part in ensuring those top six finishes. The whole emphasis should be on continuous improvement, which means nobody's position is safe, including the skipper's. The position we have got ourselves to as a club is one where we can go out and buy genuine quality - Riordan last window, Stokes hopefully from this window - and if we can buy better than Hogg (or anyone else) we will be looking to. There's no room for him to rest on his laurels and TBH, from the sense you get of his attitude, there's no way he would.

Expecting Rain
22-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Hogg is consistently poor, i`m still trying to work out what his attributes are whilst hoping he has a good game, i thought Bamba did well to score the equaliser being under great pressure from the captain who put in a decent challenge with his eyes closed.

brownlies bits
22-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Out of all our defensive players at the club Hoggy is the only one that can pass a ball and the reason he is captain, he is respected by his fellow players, he is a model professional on and off the park and he has never tried to engineer a move away from the club.

so that rules out Murray, Bamba, Riordan, two of the aforementioned took the weegie dollar and came to regret it and the other one and his agent are trying there best to get a move away. Get off the mans back and you will probably see a better player now that Jones is away. think some people watch the Hibs with blinkers on, Hogg has been the most consistent performer in the team for the last few years.

Chris Hogg :top marks will do for me captain.

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Out of all our defensive players at the club Hoggy is the only one that can pass a ball and the reason he is captain,
:faf::faf:
he is respected by his fellow players, he is a model professional on and off the park and he has never tried to engineer a move away from the club.
Nae bugger wants him.

Not for me, Murray in beside Bamba would improve our defence 100%. Bamba for captain, he's a man mountain.

Rasta_Hibs
22-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Out of all our defensive players at the club Hoggy is the only one that can pass a ball and the reason he is captain, he is respected by his fellow players, he is a model professional on and off the park and he has never tried to engineer a move away from the club.

so that rules out Murray, Bamba, Riordan, two of the aforementioned took the weegie dollar and came to regret it and the other one and his agent are trying there best to get a move away. Get off the mans back and you will probably see a better player now that Jones is away. think some people watch the Hibs with blinkers on, Hogg has been the most consistent performer in the team for the last few years.

I agree with you!

HibeeUnderwood
22-08-2009, 10:34 PM
He's gonna have to come out of big robs shadow and show that he is a man that every attacker in the spl has to fear. He doesn't work well on his own, I believe he will need another centre back to partner him so that the very best can be brought out of him, now that Jones has gone, its time for him to form another real solid partnership, whether thats with Bamba, Murray, Thicot whoever. It needs a wee bit of work, but defence has done well so far, keep it up and yes, always room for improvement in all areas of the team! :agree:

mixuok
23-08-2009, 08:36 AM
thiught he was murder yesterday as he has been so far this season including freindlys:fuming:

Golden Bear
23-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Not for me, Murray in beside Bamba would improve our defence 100%. Bamba for captain, he's a man mountain.

Great player - agreed. But captain material? - never in a month of Sundays.
His robust style of play means that he attracts the attention of referees which in turn results in too many suspensions.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Great player - agreed. But captain material? - never in a month of Sundays.
His robust style of play means that he attracts the attention of referees which in turn results in too many suspensions.

I disagree, making him captain would give him a bit more leeway with the ref's imho. He is holding the defence together, he is a fantastic player, and he leads by example. The perfect captain. :thumbsup: Plus he will be off soon, its practically in the captains contract.:wink:

Judas Iscariot
23-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Can pass a ball? What into row z or the opposition?! Hogg's distrubution is WOEFUL!

Never tried to engineer a move away? Just like you can't get blood out a stone, he couldn't engineer a move if he wanted, just not good enough :bye:

Leitherhibs
23-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Spot on, dire in the first half. Think the opposition must be delighted when they see him and that clown van zanten startin.

BonnieFitbaTeam
23-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I disagree, making him captain would give him a bit more leeway with the ref's imho. He is holding the defence together, he is a fantastic player, and he leads by example. The perfect captain. :thumbsup: Plus he will be off soon, its practically in the captains contract.:wink:

By that logic surely you would prefer Hoggy to remain captain for the time being then ?

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 09:26 AM
By that logic surely you would prefer Hoggy to remain captain for the time being then ?

I'd like us to go the same way as hearts. Appoint 2 captains,:wink: drop Hogg, then let him leave to the many clubs that will obviously come in for him, when they know he's available.:rolleyes:

spoing
23-08-2009, 09:34 AM

Had a good game and won almost everything he went for but was lucky not to be sent of for lashing out (at Finnegan?). Not the behaviour of a hibs captain.

Being captain didn't save Ginger Flange getting sent of last week.

The only leeway you'll get from a ref being captian is with backchat.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Had a good game and won almost everything he went for
Something i think is what a captain should be doing.

but was lucky not to be sent of for lashing out (at Finnegan?). Not the behaviour of a hibs captain.
Was he sent off?

Being captain didn't save Ginger Flange getting sent of last week.

The only leeway you'll get from a ref being captian is with backchat.

So you do get leeway.

500miles
23-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I think people have to remember that he played next to Jones for a long time, and was usually under instruction. Now he's the one giving instruction, so he will have to grow into that role. Time will tell if he can do that.

BonnieFitbaTeam
23-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I'd like us to go the same way as hearts. Appoint 2 captains,:wink: drop Hogg, then let him leave to the many clubs that will obviously come in for him, when they know he's available.:rolleyes:

Wash your mouth out !!!

woodyhfc4892
23-08-2009, 10:13 AM
It just seems that every time a player gets the captains armband their performances seem to drop, happened with Murray, Thomson & Jones to name a few, they played brilliantly until they get the arnband and then they start making mistakes and not playing aswell, looks like it would be better if we just didn't have a captain :agree:

spoing
23-08-2009, 10:13 AM
What we could do is drop our new captain after two games. Both of which we've gone a goal behind before coming back to win. hmmmmm

There's a real togetherness in the squad just now. You just have to look at the way the players have been celebrating their goals.

There's a steel there that's been missing for a while.

Yogi has said in interview on more that one occasion that he picks the team that he thinks can go out and win. It's working. If it aint broke don't fix it.