PDA

View Full Version : Stokes - Promising Debut

Sergey
22-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Looks like young Stokes will score a shed-load for us if today's performance is anything to go by.

Really looks like an out-and-out goalscorer and could be a canny signing.

Unlucky not to open his account today, too.

shamo9
22-08-2009, 01:52 PM
At least we've finally got a pacy striker willing to run. Deek and Nish are just too slow on their own so its good news, adds a new dimension going forward.

Hibby Kate
22-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Looks like young Stokes will score a shed-load for us if today's performance is anything to go by.

Really looks like an out-and-out goalscorer and could be a canny signing.

Unlucky not to open his account today, too.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Without scoring, stokes gave us a very good debut, and showed us just what we can expect from him in the future. Pace, bundles of it, good close control, held the ball up well. The goals will come from him, looks a very good signing on todays showing.:thumbsup:

lucky
22-08-2009, 02:23 PM
He played okay today reminded me of a fast Stephen Dobbie. But do think he will scores loads . The Record are saying Hibs paid £800k!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmashinGlass
22-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Without scoring, stokes gave us a very good debut, and showed us just what we can expect from him in the future. Pace, bundles of it, good close control, held the ball up well. The goals will come from him, looks a very good signing on todays showing.:thumbsup:

Agree 100%. Impressed me today and believe there is more to come.

PS, that signature pic is 100% quality!! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2009, 02:29 PM
He played okay today reminded me of a fast Stephen Dobbie. But do think he will scores loads . The Record are saying Hibs paid £800k!!!!!!!!!!!!

:top marks :agree: He's not fit yet either, wait until he's up to speed.:thumbsup:

HibsNibs
22-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Thought he looked pretty sharp already - unlike that lazy flicker Riordan.

The_Todd
22-08-2009, 02:54 PM
It was a great performance by someone who only met his new teammates not much more than 24 hours ago.

Once he's settled he'll be an automatic first choice on the team sheet.

7Hero
22-08-2009, 02:59 PM
looks a great prospect, very excited about this boy.

zlatan
22-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Hopefully he can teach Nish a few lessons in staying onside, his positioning and awareness was there to see in abundance today, could of had a hattrick and certainly unlucky not to get at least 1.

Think he's gonna be one of our best buys in years.

Violater
22-08-2009, 03:07 PM
If the price was £800k then i think he will be worth it. Could get us 15-20 goals per season. Looks a player. Impressed with his debut.

chrisski33
22-08-2009, 03:11 PM
If the price was £800k then i think he will be worth it. Could get us 15-20 goals per season. Looks a player. Impressed with his debut.

lets hope the OF dont try and buy him then if he lives up to his potential!

Scotthibs1875
22-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I think he lacked match practice. When he is fit, i think he will be a great signing:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Si_17
22-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I have no doubts that he'll score twenty goals this season.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Excited. Very, very excited. Very :agree:

Sir David Gray
22-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I thought he started off a bit shaky with a couple of poor passes but that's to be expected when he's not had a chance to really play with any of the players before and doesn't really know how they play.

However I did think that he was impressive in the second half and he was actually a bit unlucky not to score.

He showed enough today to make me think that he will be a very good signing for us once he gets fully up to speed with his team mates and vice versa.

Penrith Hibee
22-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Absolutely! This boy will score for fum when he's fit. He is a player...

whiskyhibby
22-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I thought he started off a bit shaky with a couple of poor passes but that's to be expected when he's not had a chance to really play with any of the players before and doesn't really know how they play.

However I did think that he was impressive in the second half and he was actually a bit unlucky not to score.

He showed enough today to make me think that he will be a very good signing for us once he gets fully up to speed with his team mates and vice versa.

Completely Agree a few wayward passes in the 1st half, 2nd half passing was much better, on another day he could have had a hat-trick..............

:top marks:top marks

jakedance
22-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Not a bad start for him. Strong, good feet, plays off the shoulder of the defenders. Very promising.

YehButNoBut
22-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Looked very promising indeed, just wait till we have Zemamma back setting them up for him and Deeks:thumbsup:.

steino1875
22-08-2009, 03:34 PM
agree good debut might be an intresting battle between him and riordan for top goal scorer at the end of the season lots of goals to come me hopes:flag:

Houchy
22-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Excited. Very, very excited. Very :agree:

I'm more excited about Stokes after what I saw today than any player I can remember (deeks included and that's saying something).

He'll still not score as many as Benji by all accounts who's "promised 2 goals per game when fully fit". I suppose the "fully fit" could be his get out card although I have to say that for the short time he was on today, he seemed to put in a decent shift. Starting to realise that Nish will be the player that needs to give way. I like Nish and i'm not slagging him but he really does stick out in the team right now and is probably going to be used as backup this season if he's not sold.:agree:

simple
22-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Was pretty impressed with stokes even though we didn't play well, very direct, get's in good positions, comes back and picks the ball up from deep and is pacey, I think he will also score a lot of goals!!:thumbsup:

Houchy
22-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Was pretty impressed with stokes even though we didn't play well, very direct, get's in good positions, comes back and picks the ball up from deep and is pacey, I think he will also score a lot of goals!!:thumbsup:

Hope I don't jinx him but I can't wait to see what he does against Brechin on Wednesday.

cleanyman
22-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Good debut but missed a sitter when one on one with Olejinik, unlucky though. Overall, looks like a good asset.

col02
22-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Stokes looks a hybrid of all the good strikers we have had the past five seasons. Runs the channels like O'Connor used to for Hibs, has awareness like Fletcher used to for Hibs and has an eye for goal like Riordan does for Hibs. All in all a good debut from a guy who I was half expecting to be a bit rusty. :thumbsup:

simple
22-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Good debut but missed a sitter when one on one with Olejinik, unlucky though. Overally, looks like a good asset.

I think he just took the wrong option, he should have rounded the keeper and slotted it away, but even though he missed it it shows you that he has confidence thinking he can easily just chip it over the keeper.

Stevie Reid
22-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I think he just took the wrong option, he should have rounded the keeper and slotted it away, but even though he missed it it shows you that he has confidence thinking he can easily just chip it over the keeper.

Although he didn't score today, I liked the way that he did everything instinctively when presented with the chances - no dwelling on the ball or hints of indecision at all.

Every faith that he rattle in loads of goals when the match sharpness returns

renato
22-08-2009, 06:33 PM
lets hope the OF dont try and buy him then if he lives up to his potential!

They can't afford him mate. If he delivers (and on todays showing there's a great chance he will) then the English clubs will be back in for him.......out of the OF's price range at that point :agree:

Onceinawhile
22-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Dire, Dire, first half, however he wanted the ball and with match sharpness, he should get better.

Probably should have scored, but I really don't think we could have made a better signing :agree:

Silver Fox
22-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Aye, quality signing, he's going to be a very important player for us IMO. :agree:

sboothibs
22-08-2009, 11:00 PM
:greengrin Looked good today and when he actualy gets in the groove with his team mates we are in for some good times. It will be interesting to see who will be top goalscorer. Lots of goals from both I expect.

Life is great:wink: Life is Green:thumbsup:

--------
22-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Thought he looked pretty sharp already - unlike that lazy flicker Riordan.

Who scored two beauties..... :devil:

"A chacun son métier", as the old French proverb says.

Liberal Hibby
23-08-2009, 12:53 AM
It was a great performance by someone who only met his new teammates not much more than 24 hours ago.

Once he's settled he'll be an automatic first choice on the team sheet.

Indeed - but I can see no way that both Benji and Riordan can stay on the same wage sheet.

bandylegs_jLeighton
23-08-2009, 11:24 AM
This makes things all the sweeter:

"Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo says city rivals Hibs pipped him to the signing of Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes. (Sunday Express)" BBC website

ancient hibee
23-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Indeed - but I can see no way that both Benji and Riordan can stay on the same wage sheet.
Why?