PDA

View Full Version : Lack of width...

Iain G
22-08-2009, 01:31 PM
OK I watched the game online so quality could have been better, but I did think with the 3 across the middle we left our fullbacks, especially Van Zanten horribly exposed at times, if it had been a better team than Falkirk I think we would have been punished more with attacks down our right flank today.

First sighting for me of our new signings, thought Stokes looked good if off the pace, will come with games, some of his runs in and his energy looked good though, Cregg and McBride looked tidy aswell and should be good additions to the squad, though we seemed to be bypassing teh midfield a lot of the game, with Maka humping that ball forward as quick as he could a lot of the time...

Still, we won so Yogi will say he got it right!! :greengrin

Steve-O
22-08-2009, 01:34 PM
OK I watched the game online so quality could have been better, but I did think with the 3 across the middle we left our fullbacks, especially Van Zanten horribly exposed at times, if it had been a better team than Falkirk I think we would have been punished more with attacks down our right flank today.

First sighting for me of our new signings, thought Stokes looked good if off the pace, will come with games, some of his runs in and his energy looked good though, Cregg and McBride looked tidy aswell and should be good additions to the squad, though we seemed to be bypassing teh midfield a lot of the game, with Maka humping that ball forward as quick as he could a lot of the time...

Sure that's not the Phoenix you're talking about? :greengrin

Iain G
22-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Sure that's not the Phoenix you're talking about? :greengrin

Actually Steve-O, yes, hint of Deja Vu from last weekend!! If only Hibs had Leo Bertos in their team :wink:

Sprouleflyer
22-08-2009, 01:38 PM

got admit I don't like this 3 up front tactic, it always seems to leave us very short on cover in the midfield and this allows teams to come at us.

Why did Yogi play this way today? He must have felt that Falkirk would struggle to score against us and would leave space down the flanks when their full backs pushed forward. As it was it wasn't the space that secured Hibs the win today, it was from set pieces.

Did feel that Hibs were not very good today, however 3-1 away from home......we can't really complain, well done the Hibs!!!!!

Steve-O
22-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Actually Steve-O, yes, hint of Deja Vu from last weekend!! If only Hibs had Leo Bertos in their team :wink:

Aye Hibs could do with someone who can score cracking free kicks...oh wait...:greengrin

sesoim
22-08-2009, 07:06 PM
We looked the same today as we did under Mixu. But I'm not complaining - I'll take the wins and if we start to play better later (when Zemmama's back and so on), great.

I'd still like to see a new GK in place (why sign Stack if he isn't going to play him when he's fit and Maka's still making mistakes?). Also, we have about 5 or 6 other players we could easily do without (eg VZ, Stevenson, JJ, Nish) - maybe we could use their wages to sign a RB and CB, allowing Bamba and Murray to play in midfield?

Jones28
22-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Watching from the far right-hand side of the away end if we had an extra man wide then he would have had acres of space, Galbraith's ideal perhaps?

Davy Mac
22-08-2009, 08:14 PM
If only we didnae sell O'Brien............:greengrin:devil:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Whilst the football on show today was akin to what we watched last season, it was great to see that even at 3v1 up, our players were running around like madmen closing everything down.

Last year, watching how the first two games have panned out, we would have been lucky to have picked up two points from those games.

As I sat down to watch the game, I didn't care one jot what the performance was like, I couldn't have cared if we got a lucky last-minute deflected winner off Benji's chin-fluff, I just wanted 3 points to continue the momentum of good-feeling we've had since the start of the season.

That we done it ugly perversely makes it more satisfying.

That Yogi recognises that we were pretty off-key today makes it even better, Mixu would have slapped his wanger against the microphone in unbridled joy at the post-match interview with that result today. Yogi saw it as 3 points won whilst recognising that the performance was pretty poor.