Hibbyradge
21-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Big up. :agree:

Berwickhibby
21-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Spot on Mr Radge:agree:

ronaldo7
21-08-2009, 09:12 AM
He has pushed the boat out on this deal.

Fantastic signing and should put bums on seats, and then get them off again:wink:

Hibstrooper
21-08-2009, 09:15 AM
:agree:

Credit where credit is due.

When you look at the money we've invested over the past couple of seasons on players and also on the training centre how anyone can have a go at Petrie for not splashing the cash is beyond me.

We have probably spent more on transfers over the last 2/3 seasons than most of the rest of the SPL combined (excluding the gruesome twosome of course!)

Phil D. Rolls
21-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I can see Stokes and Deek forming a great partnership.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/sunderland/article3001283.ece

JoeT
21-08-2009, 09:24 AM
well done, Barr next please

Stevie Reid
21-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Big time :agree:

creebo1875
21-08-2009, 09:26 AM

big style :agree:

Hibstrooper
21-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I can see Stokes and Deek forming a great partnership.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/sunderland/article3001283.ece

Ah but he wasn't banned for being outrageous, he was banned because the owner was a Sunderland fan and heard Keane describe the nightclub as a distraction to his players so banned him.

--------
21-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Ah but he wasn't banned for being outrageous, he was banned because the owner was a Sunderland fan and heard Keane describe the nightclub as a distraction to his players so banned him.

That must have boosted his motivation no end.... :rolleyes:

Last Minute
21-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Well done Rod, Now get Barr in and maybe see the ST's increase... and your wallet.

Well done to big yogi as well:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
21-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Ehhh Big stuff.

ancienthibby
21-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Ehhh Big stuff.

Petrie,

Get this sorted big time!!:devil:

Keith_M
21-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeh, but the last time I was at ER, my seat was squeaky. I'm not going back until it's fixed.

Petrie, Get it sorted!

:grr:

--------
21-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Well done Rod, Now get Barr in and maybe see the ST's increase... and your wallet.

A wee announcement on the East Stand as well?

6 months back I was wondering if I'd ever feel like watching Hibs again.

Of course, you have to bear in mind that he's not running a REALLY BIG club, like erm, what's their name.... :rolleyes:

Cropley10
21-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Lets keep hold of Bamba - off load a few of the fringe players:wink: - sign Darren Barr right at the end of the transfer window and the job's a good un.

Mon the Board...

Caversham Green
21-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Credit where credit is due.

When you look at the money we've invested over the past couple of seasons on players and also on the training centre how anyone can have a go at Petrie for not splashing the cash is beyond me.

We have probably spent more on transfers over the last 2/3 seasons than most of the rest of the SPL combined (excluding the gruesome twosome of course!)

One other team beats us. They spent over £7m in the 3 years to 31 July 2008.

Guess who. :lolyam:

PotsyHibee
21-08-2009, 09:42 AM
well done, Barr next please

Great piece of business but can't see us splashing big bucks on two signings in one window to be honest. I'm happy with one anyway...any more than that is just greedy :greengrin

Caversham Green
21-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Rod seems to be getting a lot of the credit for all this, but Scott Lindsay's the CEO now - maybe there's some of his influence appearing :dunno:

I felt there was a bit of a sea change in our signing policy after he took over, but that coincided with Mixu taking over as manager so it's difficult to judge.

sambajustice
21-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Rod seems to be getting a lot of the credit for all this, but Scott Lindsay's the CEO now - maybe there's some of his influence appearing :dunno:

I felt there was a bit of a sea change in our signing policy after he took over, but that coincided with Mixu taking over as manager so it's difficult to judge.

PETRIE!!! :grr::grr::grr:

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2009, 09:52 AM
we may sign another big name if we sell Bamba, hopefully we can keep Bamba until after the World Cup where hopefully his value rockets.

matty_f
21-08-2009, 10:03 AM
What we're seeing is the board delivering on the promises made some time back, when everyone was urging them to shell out money we didn't at that point have.

We're now in the position to go out and acquire players like Riordan, Stokes etc as a direct result of the board's position.

Steady and sustainable growth was what the board said they'd deliver - IMHO, that's what we're getting and I think the outlook looks very, very bright for Hibernian FC's future.:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
21-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I know. I took that into consideration before starting the thread.

Petrie gets all the blame, so i decided he should get some credit. :wink:

The_Todd
21-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I wished the Tache was my daddy.

sahib
21-08-2009, 10:07 AM

What are we: Falkirk 2006?

bingo70
21-08-2009, 10:09 AM
What we're seeing is the board delivering on the promises made some time back, when everyone was urging them to shell out money we didn't at that point have.

We're now in the position to go out and acquire players like Riordan, Stokes etc as a direct result of the board's position.

Steady and sustainable growth was what the board said they'd deliver - IMHO, that's what we're getting and I think the outlook looks very, very bright for Hibernian FC's future.:thumbsup:

The great thing is as well is that we're dong it at a time when all our rivals are making cut backs, if we'd thrown money we didn't have at players a few years ago it still wouldn't have been enough to compete with hearts and we'd still be competing with aberdeen who were spending more on wages than they could afford at the time.

J-C
21-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Well done RP, good to see him opening the purse strings and backing the manager, so much for the Petrie and Yogi will never work with each other nonsense.:greengrin

sleeping giant
21-08-2009, 10:11 AM

Oh yes:agree:

Long may it continue:thumbsup:

MacBean
21-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Ehhh Big stuff.

Big Deal :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Yes as I thought at the time - no point in following the lemmings over the cliff. Wait til they've had their glory and downfall and in a game of "last man standing" I'd bet on Hibs. What goes up must come down and that goes for the Premiership too - Pompey/Liverpool anyone. Interesting to see that News International - parent company of SKY IIRC - are looking to ditch one of their papers - thelondonpaper. Focusing on their core business but just goes to show they are looking at costs as well. Will be interesting to see what the next contract looks like when the negotiation starts...

Speedway
21-08-2009, 10:26 AM

I agree there but RP is still the CPP.

J-C
21-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I think now is the time to pick up bargains from the bigger clubs down south, they have to balance the books too and players like Stokes are now becoming surplus to requirements. Probably a fee of around £500,000 was enough, as it said undisclosed.

Speedway
21-08-2009, 10:36 AM
I think now is the time to pick up bargains from the bigger clubs down south, they have to balance the books too and players like Stokes are now becoming surplus to requirements. Probably a fee of around £500,000 was enough, as it said undisclosed.

The Times are quoting £500,000 and that's the figure I was given by a journo too.

Baker9
21-08-2009, 10:40 AM

A very good chance it was Scott Lindsay who instigated this. It would make sense that he is virtually running the club now having been CEO for some time.

Sort of substantiated rumour has it that he is a massive fan of Boozy and was upset when he left us. If Boozy does return....:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2009, 10:41 AM
£500k. Is anyone else worried we might be spending more than we can afford? Look at Leeds United, third Lanark and Clydebank, not to mention Hearts. Do we want a team to support in 10 years time, or not?:wink: :devil:

J-C
21-08-2009, 10:44 AM
£500k. Is anyone else worried we might be spending more than we can afford? Look at Leeds United, third Lanark and Clydebank, not to mention Hearts. Do we want a team to support in 10 years time, or not?:wink: :devil:

Very funny Gary :greengrin

It looks like Petrie has given the go ahead to sign at least one player a year at a higher fee, around £500K and pick up free transfers for the others.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2009, 10:53 AM

It looks like Petrie has given the go ahead to sign at least one player a year at a higher fee, around £500K and pick up free transfers for the others.

:greengrin

I think he can be a great signing foe us. He certainly knew how to score up here the last time he played in scotland. We can all see just how the standard in scotland has dropped. Hearts pumped, everton crush the team who slaughtered aberdeen. Stokes might not be good enough for the premiership, but i think he will score for fun in the SPL. If he does, we get the win win situation, goals for us, his value soars again, and we sell at a profit in a couple of years, and hopefully so on and so on. :thumbsup:

Sprouleflyer
21-08-2009, 10:53 AM

:hmmm: :wink: :greengrin

Gerard
21-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Well done The Hibernian Board. Now what about the new stand:wink:
G

jdships
21-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Absolutely spot on with your take :top marks.
The highlighted clip has been the way forward for a few years now and the last bits of the jig saw will soon be in place.
All credit to the Board & don't lets forget STF too :thumbsup:

:flag:

Newhaven
21-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Well done The Hibernian Board. Now what about the new stand:wink:
G

:hijack:

But while we're on the subject. Ditch the idea - tart the east up a bit at much cheapness and have more signings like Stokes :greengrin

johnrebus
21-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Good grief, all this good news .

Er....., is this still Hibs we're talking aboot ?

Where's the catch ?

:paranoid:

:wink:

BEEJ
21-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Mibbes Aye
21-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Or the manager has been given a figure for his wage budget and an indication of what's available for transfer fees and allowed to use that as he sees fit :dunno:

Either way £500,000 (as seems to be the case) is a very decent spend and as said earlier, it's a spend we can afford. Just like Deeks was last year and just like the next one will be.

Good day for Hibs - we've been doing it right off-the-field to create the capacity to do it right on-the-field. Hopefully the likes of Stokes can help deliver :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
21-08-2009, 01:33 PM

:agree: No too bad for a wee team.

Anybody know how the Yams got on last night in their European conquest? :devil:

Mibbes Aye
21-08-2009, 01:45 PM

IIRC Lindsay came in after Mixu had already had his first window (and been given perhaps more money to spend than would have been anticipated).

Lindsay said that his appointment was in part to give Petrie more time to spend on player acquisitions, so while his appointment as CEO coincides with an upturn in transfer signings that's maybe because it reflects the juncture when the club's ability to capitalise on the self-discipline it imposed and reap the benefits, became more obvious. This in part, necessitated bringing in someone to focus on the day-to-day stuff and managing the off-the-field stuff (East Stand, Community Foundation etc) :dunno:

Houchy
21-08-2009, 01:48 PM
:agree: No too bad for a wee team.

Anybody know how the Yams got on last night in their European conquest? :devil:

Hearts Nil???

I was reading a Sun that was left on the train this morning and it was saying "Shabba played a defensive team by playing Nade up front on his own. A difficult job for a fully fit player but an impossible one for someone who is certainly not that":faf:

Hibbyradge
21-08-2009, 07:32 PM
A very good chance it was Scott Lindsay who instigated this. It would make sense that he is virtually running the club now having been CEO for some time.

Sort of substantiated rumour has it that he is a massive fan of Boozy and was upset when he left us. If Boozy does return....:greengrin

It was well publicised at the time Scott Lindsay came back that Scott's remit would be to look after all the infrastructure stuff such as the new East Stand and thereby allow Rod to deal solely with the football side of things.

I don't think Scott would have had a great deal to do with Stokes arrival other than his presence allows Rod more time to work on the finer intricacies of such deals and maybe provides an ear for Rod to bend with some ideas.

It's an astonishing signing when you sit back and look at it.

A £2m EPL player who was on £14k per week coming to Hibs as a permanent signing on a 3 year deal?

Amazing.

Big up, Rod. :thumbsup:

BEEJ
21-08-2009, 07:58 PM

It was well publicised at the time Scott Lindsay came back that Scott's remit would be to look after all the infrastructure stuff such as the new East Stand and thereby allow Rod to deal solely with the football side of things.

I don't think Scott would have had a great deal to do with Stokes arrival other than his presence allows Rod more time to work on the finer intricacies of such deals and maybe provides an ear for Rod to bend with some ideas.

A £2m EPL player who was on £14k per week coming to Hibs as a permanent signing on a 3 year deal?

Amazing.

Big up, Rod. :thumbsup:
I agree with 'Cav'!

Whatever has caused it, from the January 2008 window onwards there has clearly been a radical change in the way the club has approached the task of signing new players.

Some will choose to see that as the natural fulfilment of a longer term strategy as the club moved gradually and incrementally from one phase of the financial plan to the next.

But I believe the magnitude of that change has been such that it reflects what was a welcome shift in club policy; a new recognition that while financial prudence is a good quality to have, in this sport it needs to be allied to putting a product on the park that supporters will travel long distances / pay handsomely to watch.

The Board have to be applauded for making that change. :thumbsup: And to me today's announcement is further evidence of it.

I hope the club reaps the benefits of this bold acquisition and the Board sees a tangible increase in tickets sold / attendances.

500miles
21-08-2009, 08:05 PM

We've had to EARN the right to spend this kind of money over the last few years, through youth developement, finding rough diamonds, and prudence. Some people had to be dragged kicking and screaming through this process, but we're certainly reaping the benefits now.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Amazing.

I never believed we would be able to pick up a player for whom his previous club had spent that on him and lavished that contract on him which still had a couple of years to run.

I'm 50% absolutely over the moon and 50% reeling in shock.

I didn't think we could even pick up a player of that financial background on loan never mind on a permanent 3 year deal. Stunned.

Even more mouth-watering than that is the fact that Yogi has stated he's not finished yet and he's hoping to add maybe one or two more of similar ilk.

To top that off, there's also rumours of a blossoming working relationship with him and Arsene Wenger which could see us taking a few of their young starlets on loan to bolster the squad further.

I've backed Petrie to the hilt for years now. For all of those who have lambasted him for his fiscal prudence over the years, it's got to be remembered that he presided over a team that was throwing ludicrously lucrative contracts at the likes of John O'Neil less than a decade ago. Lest we forget that we won ******all in that period.

His foresight in recognising the collapse of the TV deal all those years ago allowed us to cut our cloth accordingly, essentially rebuild ourselves from scratch, spend what little we had on an infrastructure that will be around longer than any marquee signing AND continue to grow the club incrementally to such an extent that in the not too distant future we would be able to afford to spend a fair whack on players without putting ourselves into the red.

All the while, the clubs we compete with were still frittering money away on players they could ill-afford and whilst they may have had fleeting success with their stupidity (Hearts '06, Aberdeen '08), these clubs are now free-falling thanks to years of financial mismanagement which will, in one notable case, take years and years to recover from.

All the while, in the great game of footballing snakes and ladders, we're slowly but surely making our way past them as they slither down beneath us.

With this robust way of managing the club financially, all it needs is a manager to come in and maintain and develop what we already have as well as have the knowledge, nous and vision to bring in the players that can complement what's already there.

Thankfully, we've got that man. And he's a Hibbie as well.

And as I finish off another of my long-winded diatribes on Hibernian F.C., I shall sit back, spark up a fag and raise a glass to Rod Petrie and co., often derided for their alleged penny-pinching, yet rarely credited for their forward thinking, long-term approach to a footballing institution that shall not only be around for as long as you and I live, but an institution that should also prosper henceforth year on year thanks to their guarded and sensible management.

PapillonVert
21-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Suspect that Rodders, being an Accountant and negotiator extraordinaire, has done some kind of set-off deal with SUFC.

OK, they are due to pay AS £14K pw for the next 2 years so in lieu of those wages we take him off your hands and you don't have to pay that or we take over a percentage of what you were due him and so both parties are happy. There will be some kind of arrangement along those lines.

danger1875
21-08-2009, 08:56 PM
:thumbsup:well done mr tache, more of the same please. don't know if i can cope with all the good things being said about you and the club

Dashing Bob S
21-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Stokes is still only 21. Barr is the same. Petrie has no objection to shelling out sensibly for young players, who, if successful, have a decent sell-on value. If he gets 3 mill for Fletch and shells out 1 mill for Stokes and Barr, puts 2 mill towards the new stand, it's sensible economics. (I don't think the Naismith was purely grandstanding, I think he thought it might be be possible to convince a young player to trade cash-for-games, as has obviously proved to be the case with Stokes.)

Compare Hearts selling Berra for 2 mill and the lot going to service the debt/Vlad's back pocket.

The financial chickens are coming to roost now, and I think a lot of Yams are realising things are changing and that and the penny is dropping.

For Hibs, it means we're moving from being a "selling club" - selling players to service debt/infrastructure (ie: Yams and almost every other Scottish club) to a "trading club" - bringing through exciting young players and getting a decent price for them, and playing the middle end of a saturated buyers market with moves like the Stokes one.

We've rebranded ourselves as the club that gives premium young talent a chance to get games, and does not stand in their way of a big move, if the price is right.

This is the model that have provide great success for clubs like Lyon, and we're getting to closer to that, as our rivals are financially hamstrung. This quiet revolution is all due to one man, Rod Petrie. He's easily the most important figure in the last twenty years of our club's history.

Petrie's Tache
21-08-2009, 09:24 PM

I am

Sergey
21-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Stokes is still only 21. Barr is the same. Petrie has no objection to shelling out sensibly for young players, who, if successful, have a decent sell-on value. If he gets 3 mill for Fletch and shells out 1 mill for Stokes and Barr, puts 2 mill towards the new stand, it's sensible economics. (I don't think the Naismith was purely grandstanding, I think he thought it might be be possible to convince a young player to trade cash-for-games, as has obviously proved to be the case with Stokes.)

Compare Hearts selling Berra for 2 mill and the lot going to service the debt/Vlad's back pocket.

The financial chickens are coming to roost now, and I think a lot of Yams are realising things are changing and that and the penny is dropping.

For Hibs, it means we're moving from being a "selling club" - selling players to service debt/infrastructure (ie: Yams and almost every other Scottish club) to a "trading club" - bringing through exciting young players and getting a decent price for them, and playing the middle end of a saturated buyers market with moves like the Stokes one.

We've rebranded ourselves as the club that gives premium young talent a chance to get games, and does not stand in their way of a big move, if the price is right.

This is the model that have provide great success for clubs like Lyon, and we're getting to closer to that, as our rivals are financially yamstrung. This quiet revolution is all due to one man, Rod Petrie. He's easily the most important figure in the last twenty years of our club's history.

:applause:

Another addition to the Yamasaurus, too :wink:

Bostonhibby
21-08-2009, 09:29 PM
:thumbsup: Rod, am thinking that accountancy and hair on the upper lip is the future, but am going to wait until the turn of the year until I decide if this is it or if its just another way to trouser the positive difference between sales and expenditure and cranking up gate money, still, measured against los galacticos, I know where I'd rather be.

Bostonhibby
21-08-2009, 09:38 PM

This is the model that have provide great success for clubs like Lyon, and we're getting to closer to that, as our rivals are financially hamstrung. This quiet revolution is all due to one man, Rod Petrie. He's easily the most important figure in the last twenty years of our club's history.

:agree: Wot he sed - but couldn't we be quiet about the financial chickens?
It must be cheaper to develop them in Lithuania, Don't get me wrong but the last thing I want to see is the dark side of Edinburgh, full of foreign poultry, headless or otherwise wandering around clucking about winning the Champions league one year ago, splitting the OF and building £51m stadiums, the RSPB won't allow it :faf:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Moving in the right direction.......

jiggerman
21-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Football fans are funny (myself included). I have in the past been on the verge of exploding with Hibs' apparent thriftiness, e.g. when in pre-season there were rumours of Deek/Zouma leaving - I just couldnt bear the through of more of our top players leaving (al la Jones/Fletcher). After all - if Hibs could feasibly retain players (down to a number of factors, not entirely within the boards control) we would have won the league. I know it sounds ludicrous, but I am absolutely sure Hibs fans could pick a team from the last 5 years worth of players capable of winning the league - we have seen some outstanding talent.

However, everyone is now lauding Petrie. We all chop and change far too quickly and fail to be objective.

I think I can see (as I am sure lots of you can) where the board are taking us. If last and this season is anything to go by - quality, not quantity being bought in (Rio, Murray, Stokes etc) - the draw of training facilities we have (I am sure this must play it part with guys like Stokes and for future loan signings from top English clubs), admirable and modern stadia (75% complete) and a dedication to bringing young boys through (see past players and Byrne, Wotherspoon, McCann, Stevenson, McCormack, Hanlon and the generation below these guys who are not in the team because we can only select 16 for a sqaud on a match day!).

I think we are on the verge of having a sustainable business model which will benefit from being populated with the players of a percieved acceptable quality where there has not been in the past because money has been diverted elsewhere - stadium, training facilities, debt servicing & repayments. I see the Hibs teams in the future consisting of a sprinkling of top (SPL) players and young boys brought through - meaning quality is at a maximum, whilst costs at a minimum.

It is worth remembering that Petrie has consistently sold our best players (but in fairness, he cant reasonably hold back players like Scotty Brown, Thommo, GOC, Murphy, Sproule, Killen, Whittaker etc) but has invested inthe team - I just dont think transfer fees are disclosed like they could be - Petrie knows that the market will demand higher fees from Hibs if they have a history of over paying or paying well for players.

I laughed when I saw that banner at ER last Sat saying 'This is our time' (or words to that effect) but maybe it is - maybe not right now, but maybe Hibs are on the verge of 'bearing the fruits' of many years hard labour?

All I know is, if we continue the way we are, and as infrastructure is finalised and fiances are directed increasingly to the product on the pitch we can only get better an better.....

J

The_Sauz
21-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I never believed we would be able to pick up a player for whom his previous club had spent that on him and lavished that contract on him which still had a couple of years to run.

I'm 50% absolutely over the moon and 50% reeling in shock.

I didn't think we could even pick up a player of that financial background on loan never mind on a permanent 3 year deal. Stunned.

Even more mouth-watering than that is the fact that Yogi has stated he's not finished yet and he's hoping to add maybe one or two more of similar ilk.

To top that off, there's also rumours of a blossoming working relationship with him and Arsene Wenger which could see us taking a few of their young starlets on loan to bolster the squad further.

I've backed Petrie to the hilt for years now. For all of those who have lambasted him for his fiscal prudence over the years, it's got to be remembered that he presided over a team that was throwing ludicrously lucrative contracts at the likes of John O'Neil less than a decade ago. Lest we forget that we won ******all in that period.

His foresight in recognising the collapse of the TV deal all those years ago allowed us to cut our cloth accordingly, essentially rebuild ourselves from scratch, spend what little we had on an infrastructure that will be around longer than any marquee signing AND continue to grow the club incrementally to such an extent that in the not too distant future we would be able to afford to spend a fair whack on players without putting ourselves into the red.

All the while, the clubs we compete with were still frittering money away on players they could ill-afford and whilst they may have had fleeting success with their stupidity (Hearts '06, Aberdeen '08), these clubs are now free-falling thanks to years of financial mismanagement which will, in one notable case, take years and years to recover from.

All the while, in the great game of footballing snakes and ladders, we're slowly but surely making our way past them as they slither down beneath us.

With this robust way of managing the club financially, all it needs is a manager to come in and maintain and develop what we already have as well as have the knowledge, nous and vision to bring in the players that can complement what's already there.

Thankfully, we've got that man. And he's a Hibbie as well.

And as I finish off another of my long-winded diatribes on Hibernian F.C., I shall sit back, spark up a fag and raise a glass to Rod Petrie and co., often derided for their alleged penny-pinching, yet rarely credited for their forward thinking, long-term approach to a footballing institution that shall not only be around for as long as you and I live, but an institution that should also prosper henceforth year on year thanks to their guarded and sensible management.
:top marks:thumbsup:

martin63
21-08-2009, 11:03 PM
blah blah blah blah blah

This is all well and good.Great news on the Hibs front. Exciting times ahead. Yams the laughing stock of Scottish football again. So the future is bright the future is green and white. So what's my problem?
I'll tell you what. Ihave nothing left to moan about.

Get it sorted Petrie :grr:

GGTTH

HibeeJoxy
21-08-2009, 11:19 PM
It's funny how all the Yams have been going on about for the last god knows how long is......wee team and Petrie will never open his wallet! :blah::blah::blah::blah::jamboak:

Yet reading the threads on keekback and such like they now want to sign 1 of our strikers (no doubt NO FEE). Personally, I wouldn't give them anyone for free, but if I was Petrie I would offer to sell them JJ (for an undisclosed fee of course) just for the satisfaction facture of proving the point even more............There IS only 1 BIG TEAM IN EDINBURGH they play in GREEN and WHITE

Well done Petrie, but more importantly well done Yogi, makes sense of why the last 2 half cooked managers left because of so called "lack of support from the board"!!!!:confused:

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
22-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Football fans are funny (myself included). I have in the past been on the verge of exploding with Hibs' apparent thriftiness, e.g. when in pre-season there were rumours of Deek/Zouma leaving - I just couldnt bear the through of more of our top players leaving (al la Jones/Fletcher). After all - if Hibs could feasibly retain players (down to a number of factors, not entirely within the boards control) we would have won the league. I know it sounds ludicrous, but I am absolutely sure Hibs fans could pick a team from the last 5 years worth of players capable of winning the league - we have seen some outstanding talent.

However, everyone is now lauding Petrie. We all chop and change far too quickly and fail to be objective.

I think I can see (as I am sure lots of you can) where the board are taking us. If last and this season is anything to go by - quality, not quantity being bought in (Rio, Murray, Stokes etc) - the draw of training facilities we have (I am sure this must play it part with guys like Stokes and for future loan signings from top English clubs), admirable and modern stadia (75% complete) and a dedication to bringing young boys through (see past players and Byrne, Wotherspoon, McCann, Stevenson, McCormack, Hanlon and the generation below these guys who are not in the team because we can only select 16 for a sqaud on a match day!).

I think we are on the verge of having a sustainable business model which will benefit from being populated with the players of a percieved acceptable quality where there has not been in the past because money has been diverted elsewhere - stadium, training facilities, debt servicing & repayments. I see the Hibs teams in the future consisting of a sprinkling of top (SPL) players and young boys brought through - meaning quality is at a maximum, whilst costs at a minimum.

It is worth remembering that Petrie has consistently sold our best players (but in fairness, he cant reasonably hold back players like Scotty Brown, Thommo, GOC, Murphy, Sproule, Killen, Whittaker etc) but has invested inthe team - I just dont think transfer fees are disclosed like they could be - Petrie knows that the market will demand higher fees from Hibs if they have a history of over paying or paying well for players.

I laughed when I saw that banner at ER last Sat saying 'This is our time' (or words to that effect) but maybe it is - maybe not right now, but maybe Hibs are on the verge of 'bearing the fruits' of many years hard labour?

All I know is, if we continue the way we are, and as infrastructure is finalised and fiances are directed increasingly to the product on the pitch we can only get better an better.....

J

I do agree with the majority of your post, but I would take slight issue with the bit I've highlighted.

Many, many Hibs fans have supported the direction the board has been taking us over the last few years.

Dealing with the debt and builing a new stand whilst maintaining our presence in the SPL was the priority, knowing that once that process was complete, we wou;d be in a fantastic position to strengthen the playing side.

Not only are we financially stable, in contrast to our competitors, we are miles ahead.

Mon the future.

Big up, Rodders! :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
22-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I noticed a post last week which I will precis below;

Adoring fan: "Mr Petire, are we going to sign Anthony Stokes?"

The tache (for it was he): "No son. Enjoy your pint".

:hilarious

IWasThere2016
22-08-2009, 06:58 AM
I agree with 'Cav'!

Whatever has caused it, from the January 2008 window onwards there has clearly been a radical change in the way the club has approached the task of signing new players.

Some will choose to see that as the natural fulfilment of a longer term strategy as the club moved gradually and incrementally from one phase of the financial plan to the next.

But I believe the magnitude of that change has been such that it reflects what was a welcome shift in club policy; a new recognition that while financial prudence is a good quality to have, in this sport it needs to be allied to putting a product on the park that supporters will travel long distances / pay handsomely to watch.

The Board have to be applauded for making that change. :thumbsup: And to me today's announcement is further evidence of it.

I hope the club reaps the benefits of this bold acquisition and the Board sees a tangible increase in tickets sold / attendances.

Hear Hear! We've been patient enough and there have to be further signings to rebuild the damage done to STs by Mixu (RP's appointment :wink:)

Pedantic_Hibee
22-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I noticed a post last week which I will precis below;

Adoring fan: "Mr Petire, are we going to sign Anthony Stokes?"

The tache (for it was he): "No son. Enjoy your pint".

:hilarious

You know, Radge, throughout all the euphoria accompanying Stokes' transfer, when the news first broke about him signing, that conversation above was probably the first thing that popped into my head.

Petrie you absolute card :top marks