PDA

View Full Version : Ashes decider

--------
20-08-2009, 12:59 PM
England off to a decent start. 2 for 121.

What matters is how Australia bat. The Oval's a ground where 'draw' tends to be the default result - always has been.

mrdependable
20-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Looks as if the toss was vital. The Aussies might be praying for rain already i reckon.

--------
20-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Looks as if the toss was vital. The Aussies might be praying for rain already i reckon.

They've pegged England back quite well.

Now it all depends on how cheaply they take the last 2 wickets, and how well they bat in their own first innings.

GhostofBolivar
21-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Good day for Australia.

England will have been quite happy with 300 up, but the loss of 8 wickets is poor. What's worse is that it seems to be a continuation of the same slack technique as they displayed at Headingley.

Strauss pushed forward when he didn't need to. Collingwood wafted outside off once too often. Prior's dismissal was terrible. Flintoff's a joke. What he was trying to do is beyond my ken. The worst of all was Bell. How many chances are the selectors going to give him? He's already perfected his 'Well I've scored 70. That's my job done. Time to get out' act.

Trott did alright until he got out - but then, he's South African.

The fragility of the England batting order is ridiculous. If the Australians put up 450-500 in their first innings, then the Ashes stay in the visitor's dressing room.

Hibs Class
21-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Big push by England just now - 4 wickets for Broad in the space of 45 minutes. With the weather forecast for Sat/ Sun good, hopefully there will be a result rather than a rain-influenced draw.

TheEastTerrace
21-08-2009, 02:52 PM
108-5 now. Definitely a result weather permitting. England's total not looking too shabby at the moment. Imagine if their batsman hadn't gifted some of their wickets.

TheEastTerrace
21-08-2009, 03:00 PM
108-5 now. Definitely a result weather permitting. England's total not looking too shabby at the moment. Imagine if their batsman hadn't gifted some of their wickets.

6 down now.

Hibs Class
21-08-2009, 03:06 PM
111 for 7 - must be a chance of achieving the follow on, although tea is probably coming at just the wrong time. Fantastic session, though.

Mibbes Aye
21-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Congratulations to Stuart Broad. Fine performance so far. Bit of a collapse from Australia, for sure.

They should avoid the follow-on.
Can they still draw? - definitely.
Can they win? - remote but not impossible.
Can England win? - they're a confidence team and they have the momentum at the moment.....

Great finish to a five-match card. This is what a full series is about :agree:

JimBHibees
21-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Incredible turnaround. Hope England horse them.

--------
21-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Incredible turnaround. Hope England horse them.

Hope NOT - but it looks very like it now. :boo hoo:

PC Stamp
21-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Oval chief exec said it was a result pitch. He wasn't joking!
Strauss winning the toss could turn out to be the deciding factor because batting last is gonna be some chore!

TheEastTerrace
22-08-2009, 02:31 PM
England currently 440 ahead in their 2nd innings. Subject to weather and the possibility of some horrendous England bowling, I just cannot see the Aussies batting two days on that pitch.

Hibs Class
22-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Well played by Trott - should be a comfortable win for England; hopefully an entertaining couple of hours coming up now.

Houchy
22-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I take it that the only way it can be a drawn series now is if it hoses down for most of tomorrow or Monday or the Aussies bat defensively for 2 days?

Hibs Class
22-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I take it that the only way it can be a drawn series now is if it hoses down for most of tomorrow or Monday or the Aussies bat defensively for 2 days?

Correct, but given tonight's last session the Aussies didn't look too defensively minded. To bat for two days would be a tall order, and unprecedented, but if they can hold out through tomorrow then the weather forecast for Monday is more uncertain. It is still very much there for England to win tomorrow though. Plus, of course, a draw in this test and thus the series means the Aussies retain the ashes.

Mibbes Aye
22-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Correct, but given tonight's last session the Aussies didn't look too defensively minded. To bat for two days would be a tall order, and unprecedented, but if they can hold out through tomorrow then the weather forecast for Monday is more uncertain. It is still very much there for England to win tomorrow though. Plus, of course, a draw in this test and thus the series means the Aussies retain the ashes.

:agree: It looks to be a decent batting pitch still. England had a few shouts in the last session but there was plenty of give for the batsmen. Ponting has potentially a huge innings in him I feel (and will not want to repeat 05) and I think Hussey's got to find some form at the very death of the series if he isn't to risk losng his place.

Watson's conversion to an opener wasn't anticipated, nor was it necessarily expected to be a great success but it's worked and it's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons with regard to the batting order selection after the Ashes. Thing is, Hughes is almost certainly too good to stay out the team so something's got to give. Can't see how it can be Katich and North has done more than enough to keep his place. Not sure what order, mind :greengrin

Point being that Hussey needs an innings. Being Australian there's every likelihood he'll produce one. And Ponting and Clarke are both capable of putting together big innings. North, Haddin and Johnson can all get runs too.

I agree Australia probably need the weather. Cracking finale whichever way it works out.

Toaods
23-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree Australia probably need the weather. Cracking finale whichever way it works out.

1/2 hour in - they certainly do now and probably not. :greengrin

HH81
23-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I still think Aus can win this from here....Oh maybe im just mad :confused:

Toaods
23-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I still think Aus can win this from here....Oh maybe im just mad :confused:

i don't htink the traget was unreachable after last nights start to the innings, but sadly so did the bookies as they were only 11/4 ish, which is terrible considering what was required.

Toaods
23-08-2009, 11:08 AM
just checked the prics on Bet 365

Aussies are 11/1 if it goes out to 20/1 before either of Hussey or Ponting have been ousted , I'll throw a few quid on just because with England you never know and although Aussie don't feature to often on the best ever 4th innings comeback lists - that's only because they don't have to usully chase much to win when they do have to close a game out.

Houchy
23-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Right, another question, sorry:

According to Betfair:

England to win are 1/10 favourites (which I understand why)
Australia to win is 11/1 (OK, again I can see that)
Draw is 22/1?

My question is how is the draw more unlikely than an Australia win?

Example: yesterdays match against Falkirk (using hypothetical odds), when we went 2-1 up, the odds were probably 1/2 hibs, 6/4 draw and 2/1 falkirk ie more chance of a draw than a Falkirk win.

At this point it's looking unlikely that Australia can get to 546 (or whatever they need to win) but maybe a chance that they can bat defensively for the remainder of the match and dig out a draw, or even a full days rain tomorrow. Think i'm going to give up trying to get my head around it:dizzy:.

HH81
23-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Right, another question, sorry:

According to Betfair:

England to win are 1/10 favourites (which I understand why)
Australia to win is 11/1 (OK, again I can see that)
Draw is 22/1?

My question is how is the draw more unlikely than an Australia win?

Example: yesterdays match against Falkirk (using hypothetical odds), when we went 2-1 up, the odds were probably 1/2 hibs, 6/4 draw and 2/1 falkirk ie more chance of a draw than a Falkirk win.

At this point it's looking unlikely that Australia can get to 546 (or whatever they need to win) but maybe a chance that they can bat defensively for the remainder of the match and dig out a draw, or even a full days rain tomorrow. Think i'm going to give up trying to get my head around it:dizzy:.

For a draw Aus would have to bat until tomorrow teatime.

The bookies are saying they have more chance of chasing the total down than that happening. I agree.

Toaods
23-08-2009, 11:27 AM

The bookies are saying they have more chance of chasing the total down than that happening. I agree.

with a near full set of wickets still intact, they statistically have stronger batsmen and especially Ponting could stay around for the whole stint. Hussey has progressively lost form over the last few years although he's stillmore than capble of toughing it out.

If both get settled right in and then start finding the boundary with more ease England will become more negative with the fear the Aussies would take it.

Still unlikely but in sport the mind is the toughest opponent you'll ever face.

Hibs Class
23-08-2009, 03:21 PM

:agree: or alternatively Australia get through today and then it's rained off tomorrow, preventing a win

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Well done England :agree:

Fascinating series - Australia dominate the batting and bowling averages yet England made the most of their periods on top and thus secured the series.

Strauss has looked convincing as a captain and an opener. Real breakthrough for Stuart Broad in this series too. Jonathan Trott has booked his place for South Africa and Graeme Swann has cemented his position.

For Australia Hilfenhaus and Siddle have emerged with credit and answered any questions about their selection. North has done well enough and Clarke has reinforced his position as Ponting's successor.

Some great cricket during this series and a firm riposte to anyone who doubted the validity of the five-day game :agree:

Sir David Gray
23-08-2009, 05:17 PM
No doubt that'll be another whole host of MBE's then...:bitchy:

Flintoff will probably be given a knighthood since he already has an MBE and it was also his last Ashes.

blackpoolhibs
23-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Flintoff will probably be given a knighthood since he already has an MBE and it was also his last Ashes.

:agree: I'm surprised whoever wins the boat race each year, is not honoured in the same way. A bloody 2 team match, and the winner gets a gong, only in england eh.:bitchy:

marinello59
23-08-2009, 05:52 PM

That's what happens when politicians try to bask in the glow of sporting achievement. They fool nobody.

A great victory for England. Flintoff's smashing of the wicket to get Ponting out was a classic sporting moment. :thumbsup:

TheEastTerrace
23-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Would seriously hope that they learn from 2005 and not stage overblown celebrations, have open top tours and make trips to No.10. Yes, England deserve the plaudits, but their downfall in 2006/07 Ashes whitewash started with all of that nonsense IMO. Too many big egos walking about after 2005.

Strauss has impressed me. Punter acknowledged that Australia topped the stats, but England made the most of their opportunities when it mattered. The First Test draw has even more significance for me. I think England still have a lot to do to beat South Africa away but should be a good winter series.

Last but not least, well done to Freddie. His stats may not remember him amongst the greatest all rounders of all time, but you only have to see how the Aussies have held him in such high regard throughout the series to see how much he has impacted positively on English cricket over the last few years.

Hibs Class
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Well done England :agree:

Fascinating series - Australia dominate the batting and bowling averages yet England made the most of their periods on top and thus secured the series.

Strauss has looked convincing as a captain and an opener. Real breakthrough for Stuart Broad in this series too. Jonathan Trott has booked his place for South Africa and Graeme Swann has cemented his position.

For Australia Hilfenhaus and Siddle have emerged with credit and answered any questions about their selection. North has done well enough and Clarke has reinforced his position as Ponting's successor.

Some great cricket during this series and a firm riposte to anyone who doubted the validity of the five-day game :agree:

It will be interesting to see how Johnson comes out of it. I agree Hilfenhaus (22 wkts) and Siddle (20wkts) have been the stand out bowlers for the Aussies, yet Johnson also got 20 wkts, after a very poor start.

Toaods
23-08-2009, 07:58 PM
My thoughts:

Top marks to England for this 5th test - I didn't think they had it in them as Australia seemed to tighten the screw.

Cook - took the winning catch and stuck the ball right in the old trouser pocket and took off like a bat out of hell. How much do you think he'll get for that on E-Bay 2050? :greengrin

Harmy - straight out of the Csaba Lazslo school of gibbering interviews but who do you think he was taking a swipe at re: Ex-England players slating his big chum Freddie..:confused:

Strauss - great bottle under pressure after being mince last time around.

Swan - tremendous bowling today.

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2009, 08:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how Johnson comes out of it. I agree Hilfenhaus (22 wkts) and Siddle (20wkts) have been the stand out bowlers for the Aussies, yet Johnson also got 20 wkts, after a very poor start.

:agree: Johnson struggled to find his bowling form early on but it's clear how importantly Australia view him. A home series against the Windies should give him the opportunity to show what he's got. If he can maintain his batting then he has the potential to be a genuine all-rounder although I think the selectors would settle for him doing the business as a strike bowler.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2009, 09:48 PM
:agree: I'm surprised whoever wins the boat race each year, is not honoured in the same way. A bloody 2 team match, and the winner gets a gong, only in england eh.:bitchy:

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens.

Guess what the national BBC news at 10pm had as their top story tonight? :bitchy:

It's incredible that such a big deal is made out of a sport that only about eight or nine countries in the entire world actually take seriously.

hibee62
23-08-2009, 10:53 PM

You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens.

Guess what the national BBC news at 10pm had as their top story tonight? :bitchy:

It's incredible that such a big deal is made out of a sport that only about eight or nine countries in the entire world actually take seriously.

Like rugby you mean? It is waaay over the top but its not the only sport where this happens...

Anyhoo, I still look on the english test team as more of a British team and cant stand Ponting, so well done England!:agree:

Sir David Gray
23-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Like rugby you mean? It is waaay over the top but its not the only sport where this happens...

Anyhoo, I still look on the english test team as more of a British team and cant stand Ponting, so well done England!:agree:

I don't mind English sportsmen and women winning at individual sports, as long as they are not directly competing against a Scotsman or woman.

But when it comes to their football, rugby and cricket teams, I hope they lose every single match that they play in.

As for Ricky Ponting, I don't pay much interest to cricket (as you can probably tell) but he seems to be very well respected amongst the cricket world and any time I've heard people speak about him, he seems to be someone who holds the ethics/morals of the game in very high regard.

I have a lot of time for people like that.

borders.cabbage
24-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Then surely they would be called Britain and not England:dunno:

hibee62
24-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Then surely they would be called Britain and not England:dunno:

Its more a case that England are the only ones in Britain who have a test team and so should anyone come along from Ireland or Scotland who is good enough (such as the current Scotland captain was 10 years ago) to play test cricket, then they will allow them to play for them.

As for Wales, the team is actually the team of the England and Wales Cricket Board so they are already covered by that.

Ponting just annoys me, but I think the reason for that is the same reason that he is so good. He has this attitude of I will win and I am better than you, the same attitude as Warne, Gilchrist and McGrath had, although I do still like Warne.

I think if you speak to a lot of English cricket fans they will tell you how much they love to ram it up Ponting, so to speak, however, it is clear that they do still respect him given the reception he got today when he was out.

borders.cabbage
24-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Its more a case that England are the only ones in Britain who have a test team and so should anyone come along from Ireland or Scotland who is good enough (such as the current Scotland captain was 10 years ago) to play test cricket, then they will allow them to play for them.

As for Wales, the team is actually the team of the England and Wales Cricket Board so they are already covered by that.

Ponting just annoys me, but I think the reason for that is the same reason that he is so good. He has this attitude of I will win and I am better than you, the same attitude as Warne, Gilchrist and McGrath had, although I do still like Warne.

I think if you speak to a lot of English cricket fans they will tell you how much they love to ram it up Ponting, so to speak, however, it is clear that they do still respect him given the reception he got today when he was out.

Or South Africa :wink:

hibee62
24-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Or South Africa :wink:

Indeed, although I think thats more the same sort of situation as in most sports, where they qualify by residency and England aint gonna turn down a batsman of Kevin Pietersen's calibre if he wants to play for them.:wink:

Trott seems to be more straight forward as there hasnt been anything of his dilemma as to who to play for, like i think i recall there was with with KP.

Edit: just wiki'd it and KP has an English mother, but still had to wait 4 years for residency. Trott's grandparents are Engish so same applies.

Part/Time Supporter
24-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Congratulations to the #5 (out of 9) cricket team beating the #4 cricket team.

Sauce: http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/421843.html

MBEs all round!

Mibbes Aye
24-08-2009, 11:37 AM

It's the leading, or one of the leading, sports in all those countries and that's a population approaching nearly two billion people.

--------
24-08-2009, 12:33 PM
It's the leading, or one of the leading, sports in all those countries and that's a population approaching nearly two billion people.

Exactly - and the Ashes is one of the oldest trophies in professional sport.

I didn't expect England to win this series, but congratulations to them and to Andrew Strauss in particular.

Tremendous performance.

--------
24-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. You'd think they had won the world cup the way they are going on. God forbid that ever happens. Guess what the national BBC news at 10pm had as their top story tonight? :bitchy:

Or the World Series in baseball? World? How many countries play baseball seriously?

Or gridiron?

But then, most Americans don't seem to realise that there's a great big world out there that ISN'T American.

And when they do, they usually bomb the living daylights out of it, then denounce it as a clear and present danger to truth, justice, and the American way....

Then poison them with Coke, Big Macs and Burger Kings.

Sir David Gray
24-08-2009, 10:31 PM

If we take India off the list, it's less than a billion. :greengrin

Hibs Class
25-08-2009, 07:48 AM
If we take India off the list, it's less than a billion. :greengrin

So are you saying we should be encouraging the Chinese to take it up? :wink:

hibee62
26-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Or the World Series in baseball? World? How many countries play baseball seriously?

Or gridiron?

But then, most Americans don't seem to realise that there's a great big world out there that ISN'T American.

And when they do, they usually bomb the living daylights out of it, then denounce it as a clear and present danger to truth, justice, and the American way....

Then poison them with Coke, Big Macs and Burger Kings.

Having been in florida and subjected to baseball for a couple of weeks on the tele i looked into the world series very briefly. From wiki the impression i got was that about 4 or 5 countries take it seriously but to make anything of it you have to go and play in america in the "World" Series. I dont thikn it exists very much as an international sport. This could all be total ***** though...:greengrin

Gridiron appears to be entirely only USA, there was that attempt at a Euro league (which I remember seeing Scotland win once, 1996 maybe) but, although i think it still exists, i think its mostly German teams now.