PDA

View Full Version : Ice Hockey's Homecoming

The_Todd
19-08-2009, 05:22 PM
This doesn't appear to be getting any attention here, so thought I'd share.

The Edinburgh Capitals, as part of this years Homecoming Scotland celebrations, are hosting the inaugural Gardiner Cup, a competition lasting the whole weekend. A festival of Ice Hockey if you will.

Competing will be the Capitals (of course), Belfast Giants and two AHL (American Hockey League) teams: Hamilton Bulldogs and the Toronto Marlies, this will guarantee a good standard of hockey and plenty of thrills.

Details: http://www.icehockeyshomecoming.com/index2.php

Come along, even if only for one day - support your local team and if you've never watched Ice Hockey before discover a sport that you didn't even know you loved! :thumbsup:

GhostofBolivar
20-08-2009, 12:42 AM
This doesn't appear to be getting any attention here, so thought I'd share.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=129961&page=6

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=153055

Come along, even if only for one day - support your local team and if you've never watched Ice Hockey before discover a sport that you didn't even know you loved! :thumbsup:

Well, it's a nice offer, but I'd rather support the team I follow instead of my local team.

--------
20-08-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=129961&page=6

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=153055

Well, it's a nice offer, but I'd rather support the team I follow instead of my local team.

:agree: http://api.ning.com/files/-dbVHR8VxYf0ESD5y1QAZBNGRSKjf5k0S-8isFW0YvYO7b2exwsUOvIHaCOL61j5tDCiVa0KC-EZ6eTX5E8vHO0QAwzzqoDW/Toronto_Maple_Leafs2.jpg

We done it Dad
19-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I think I may go to the Thursday night game.
It should be a cracker.

PC Stamp
20-09-2009, 12:21 AM
The Capitals start their Elite Season by thrashing Hull 9-2 in Hull!!!
This might just be the season when the Caps surprise a few people.
Three NHL experienced players in the Caps line up out of 6 in total in the league :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
20-09-2009, 06:01 AM
The Leafs have just made their first cuts, sending 17 guys down to the Marlies. (http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/9/19/1044519/toronto-maple-leafs-announce-first#comments)

Oh, and PHIL KESSEL!!!1 WOO!!!1

The_Todd
22-09-2009, 09:11 AM
A 3 point weekend for the Caps following a OT defeat to the Panthers as well as the 9-2 thumping of Hull.

Things are looking up.

stu in nottingham
22-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Any reports of the alleged thefts from the Nottingham Panthers changing room during the team warm-up?

PC Stamp
22-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Police were called Stu as some items such as mobile phones allegedly went missing from the Panthers dressing room. Murrayfield being the sort of rink it is, spectators have always been prone to "mooling around" in the corridors next to the changing rooms because they also house the toilet facilities. How it hasn't happened before surprises me. However the fact that someone has left the visitors dressing room unguarded with the door unlocked, knowing the lie of the land, surprises me somewhat too.

It's an interesting one for the Capitals management to address.

stu in nottingham
22-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Cheers Cliff. Murrayfield is very much like the former Nottingham stadium and I can understand that.

I was just reading the local paper here last night and this sprang out at me:

'SCOTTISH police are investigating the theft of money and mobile phones from Panthers dressing room before the game with Edinburgh.
Three players – Bruce Richardson, Dominic D'Amour, back-up goalie Mark Hartley – plus bench-coach Adam Goodridge were the victims as Panthers were warming up.

Panthers general manager Gary Moran said today: "The matter has been reported to the league.

"But I am both saddened and disappointed that we had to insist on the police being called when the thefts were discovered.

"Apparently, there are CCTV cameras but the tapes are inconclusive."

Police investigate thefts from Panthers dressing room (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Police-investigate-thefts-Panthers-dressing-room/article-1354113-detail/article.html)
[/URL]

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Moran throwing his toys out the pram there. He's renowned as a bit of an erse. Maybe the security needs sorting a little though.

Anyway, here's some thoughts on the game from this side of the border:

[URL="http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Ice-hockey-Panthers-8211-coach-happy/article-1354167-detail/article.html"]Top of the table – but coach livid (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Police-investigate-thefts-Panthers-dressing-room/article-1354113-detail/article.html)

PC Stamp
22-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Interesting comment that the CCTV is inconclusive. They must at least be able to identify people going in and out of the room? You'd have thought it would at least pick up someone strange entering the room even if they can't clearly identify a face or such? You'd imagine that most people going in and out would be dressed either as a player or in some kind of Panthers garb?

Surely it must at least give some idea of anyone who wasn't?

Cheers Cliff. Murrayfield is very much like the former Nottingham stadium and I can understand that.

I was just reading the local paper here last night and this sprang out at me:

'SCOTTISH police are investigating the theft of money and mobile phones from Panthers dressing room before the game with Edinburgh.
Three players – Bruce Richardson, Dominic D'Amour, back-up goalie Mark Hartley – plus bench-coach Adam Goodridge were the victims as Panthers were warming up.

Panthers general manager Gary Moran said today: "The matter has been reported to the league.

"But I am both saddened and disappointed that we had to insist on the police being called when the thefts were discovered.

"Apparently, there are CCTV cameras but the tapes are inconclusive."

Police investigate thefts from Panthers dressing room (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Police-investigate-thefts-Panthers-dressing-room/article-1354113-detail/article.html)
[/URL]

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Moran throwing his toys out the pram there. He's renowned as a bit of an erse. Maybe the security needs sorting a little though.

Anyway, here's some thoughts on the game from this side of the border:

[URL="http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Ice-hockey-Panthers-8211-coach-happy/article-1354167-detail/article.html"]Top of the table – but coach livid (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/panthers/Police-investigate-thefts-Panthers-dressing-room/article-1354113-detail/article.html)

stu in nottingham
22-09-2009, 04:59 PM
From the Panthers official site. I have to say it would kind of make me want to play even harder!

---

We were robbed in Edinburgh...though not on the scoreboard!

Thieves stole wallets and phones from the Panthers' dressing room during warm-up but the team bounced back for an overtime victory to remain in top spot in the standings.

The thefts wre hard to shake off in the first period which finished 1-1 (Jade Galbraith) but the second period saw a much improved GMB Panthers side and goals from David Clarke (powerplay) and Bruce Richardson sent us into the third period two goals ahead.

Kevin St Pierre made a string of fine saves in the third as the Capitals piled on the pressure. It eventually told and the game went into overtime where a fine solo effort from Jade Galbraith produced his second game-winning-goal of the weekend.

The four point haul from the weekend's games maintains Nottingham's one point lead at the top of the Elite League standings.

Afterwards coach Corey Neilson said he wanted to see more performances like the second period but admitted the thefts from the dressing room had had an impact on his players.

At the Nottingham club's insistence the police were called to investigate. Wallets and telephones have been stolen from at least four members of the Panthers staff. The league have been informed.

Elsewhere second placed Newcastle kept up the pressure with a shut-out win over Belfast (2-0), defending champions Sheffield managed their first home league win of the campaign (Cardiff 6-3) and in the cup Coventry beat Hull (4-2).

Cameron Mann was still too ill to travel to Scotland for Sunday's game. He went down sick just a couple of hours before Saturday's game against Newcastle and had not recovered sufficiently to make the long road-trip. The team medics are hoping he will have recovered in time to train during the coming week and return to the line-up next weekend.

http://www.panthers.co.uk/modules/News/SEFS/ID.1228/SEFE/ViewNewsItem.asp

PC Stamp
22-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I was suggested to me earlier tonight that the Panthers have omitted to mention (unsurprisingly if true) was that one of their players allegedly went back into the dressing room whilst the thief was still in the act ... but didn't actually realise ... or if he did, did nothing to apprehend the culprit who unsurprisingly legged it.

You couldn't make it up surely?

Pheona
23-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I was suggested to me earlier tonight that the Panthers have omitted to mention (unsurprisingly if true) was that one of their players allegedly went back into the dressing room whilst the thief was still in the act ... but didn't actually realise ... or if he did, did nothing to apprehend the culprit who unsurprisingly legged it.

You couldn't make it up surely?

This is true. cept it was 2 of their players

PC Stamp
23-09-2009, 09:24 AM
This is true. cept it was 2 of their players

Top notch. So two big burly hocky players couldnae do anything about a sneak thief! Even if he/she was the same size as them you'd expect them to win a scrap!

The_Todd
24-09-2009, 04:52 PM
First game of the festival of Hockey is tonight - to AHL teams go toe-to-toe at Murrayfield. Gutted to miss that.

I'll be heading along to the all day Sunday event, so barring any major upsets I assume we'll be seeing Caps v Giants at 1.30pm then a repeat of Bulldogs v Marlies later on anyway.

After the way Hibs have started this season, I must say I'm really looking forward to a distraction with the Caps this weekend :thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
24-09-2009, 05:02 PM
A nice little insight into Hamilton's trip from the Montreal Canadiens site:

-------
Bulldogs head to Scotland

Tuesday, 22.09.2009 / 4:46 PM / News (http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=%2Fnews)
canadiens.com

MONTREAL - Scotland, the land of rain, Braveheart, bagpipes and hockey. Hockey?

Today marks the official opening of the Hamilton Bulldogs training camp. In fact, it will be later this evening that players will board the flight destined for Edinburgh.

A total of 25 players will be making the trip, including the 19 players cut from the Canadiens camp Monday night. The remainder will made up of Alex Henry (http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467392), in addition to five players from the Cincinnati Cyclones, Hamilton's ECHL affiliate.

A few hours before taking flight and mere hours prior to the opening of his first camp with the team, Bulldogs head coach Guy Boucher is excited, particularly for his players.

"The majority of these players have never set foot in Europe", noted Boucher. "I know they are anxious. This is a positive thing for the team. We're travelling afar, to bring closeness within the group. There are less distractions abroad and it will serve to unite the group more quickly.

"During the Canadiens camp, the stress level on these youngsters can get fairly high", warned Boucher, "and they put themselves under a lot pressure to succeed. They would be up early, work hard all day long, on and off the ice. This way, I think they will be able to take a step back, and relax on the flight over."

Of course, Scotland is hardly the first destination that comes to mind when it comes to hockey overseas. Bulldogs General Manager Julien BriseBois is of the opinion that the Gardiner Cup tournament will be a highly competitive one.

"The tournament will feature several players who have experience playing in North America and the caliber of play will be very good. We should not forget that we are there to prepare ourselves for the upcoming season. We will be playing some games, going over videos and training."

The idea to leave Hamilton behind and hold camp elsewhere is hardly a new step. Last season, the Bulldogs traveled to St. John, Newfoundland to ready themselves for the season.

"Often, when players first arrive in Hamilton, their first concerns involve where to find apartments, what are the local restaurants and other personal life details that need to be arranged", explained BriseBois. "They want to get settled in. By removing these distractions, they are able to concentrate strictly on hockey for the time being. They are getting to know their teammates and coaching staff."

The same rings true from a player's perspective. For David Desharnais (http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471976), who excelled at the Canadiens’ camp, the trip to the Old Continent can only help in further bonding teammates.

"It will be a very pleasant experience. For the majority of the guys, this will be our second season together. I'm especially excited to discover new places", says the player making his second European swing, and his first in the land where the rain is the ruler.

Vincent Cauchy is a writer for canadiens.com. Translated by Robert Lefebvre.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499428

stu in nottingham
25-09-2009, 09:17 AM
So how did the mini-Canadiens/Leafs clash go folks?

The_Todd
25-09-2009, 09:37 AM

I missed it, I'm going on Sunday so barring any upsets we'll probably get a rerun of that game anyway!

Sounds like it was a great game, 1-0 it finished but with a level of Ice Hockey few in this country will ever get to see live again.

Billy
25-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Both sides looked to be in 2nd gear but saying that, it was still a good game with lots of skill, pace and good goaltending. The speed on the ice was also quicker than the guys over here.

Bulldogs to me looked the stronger of the sides but this was also only their 1st pre-season game. Even in 2nd gear, they still look to have more in their lockers than either of the UK sides they will meet.

There were a few pushes between the sides and I fully expect them to go for it in an expected finale on Sunday, hockey should be good too :greengrin

PC Stamp
25-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Both teams were big, fit, fast and skilful. There were good scoring chances at both ends throughout the game but stellar netminding was on show, particulary from the Marlies netminder James Reimer. Bulldogs for me looked the hungrier side on the night and deserved their win.

Speaking to Caps D-Man Chris Allen who himself was drafted by and played at NHL level with the Florida Panthers and he said that it didn't look as if either side was giving it full blood in the exhibition game but expects it will be a completely different story should they meet as expected in Sunday's final. Also said that the Caps will be going out to have a go against the Marlies on Saturday but are under no illusions about how hard it will be!

Being honest, if both the AHL sides up the ante to anything resembling full pelt then they will blow both British teams away!

But a wonderful evening of top class hockey was enjoyed by a crowd at Murrayfield resembling those last seen in the halcyon days of the Racers, with a wonderful expected sell out weekend still to look forward to. :thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
25-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies chaps. I really think this tournament is great news for hockey in the Capital and for Scotland in general.

I guess it always important to remember that for some, this was their first game of the season by the sound of things. There was always going to be some rink rust. These lads are always going to be pretty keen though, they're in competition for a potentially very lucrative future in the big league and that must be a hell of a motivation and spur for them!

Interesting that both you and Billy, Cliff, have pointed to the different class of net minding. I always see that as quite a major difference too.

Here in Nottingham, we have been pretty lucky over the years, maybe due to the healthy and loyal support the Panthers have always enjoyed. Perhaps an under-achieving team at times but, due mostly to the nice stadium perhaps, we're used to having the Play-Offs every year and all the 'centre of hockey' stuff that generates. I'd seriously love Edinburgh/Murrayfield to rise again - with a new facility and become a major force once more. I think this tournament is a nice little coup for Edinburgh hockey and hope it's a step forward in recognition of the sport in the city.

The_Todd
25-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Here in Nottingham, we have been pretty lucky over the years, maybe due to the healthy and loyal support the Panthers have always enjoyed. Perhaps an under-achieving team at times but, due mostly to the nice stadium perhaps, we're used to having the Play-Offs every year and all the 'centre of hockey' stuff that generates. I'd seriously love Edinburgh/Murrayfield to rise again - with a new facility and become a major force once more. I think this tournament is a nice little coup for Edinburgh hockey and hope it's a step forward in recognition of the sport in the city.

We can only hope! It would be nice to see a new arena in Edinburgh who knows if it will ever happen though. There were 2200 at Murrayfield last night apparently, which was big for Murrayfield but wouldn't even be the biggest crowd at an EIHL weekend so there's obviously a lot of work to be done to raise the profile of the game up here. It's amazing the number of people who don't even know Edinburgh has a team, or even a rink!

But hopefully this will be the very shot in the arm that Hockey in Edinburgh needs. Some 2200 showed up yesterday and hopefully those who don't attend Capitals matches will have been bitten by the Hockey bug, or at least have an old interest in the sport regained. Every little helps!

Still well looking forward to Sunday's matches! :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
25-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I went along last night and enjoyed it. I was a regular at Marrayfield during the Racers' glory days but last night was the first time I've set foot in the ice rink for about 18 years.

The first thing that struck was the state of the place. It really hasn't changed at all in all those years. It was like some sort of time warp. Bearing in mind the place was VERY dated back then it really is pretty sad. The place had obviously had a lick of paint and was looking as good as could but it is sad that Edinburgh doesn't have enough interest to warrant a decent arena. How an "inspiring capital" such as ours does not have a half decent indoor arena that could house the hockey, gigs and other sports & events is beyond me. I've travelled extensively around Europe for gigs and even places like The Baltics put us to shame.

On the hockey itself, I enjoyed the match and thought it was more competative than expected. Unfortunately I can't get along to the weekend games due to work but it has encouraged me to get along to a Caps match soon. I recon the Marlies will give them a bit of a doing on Saturday tho.

I really hope this tournament can become a regular event. It was well managed and attracted a decent, mixed crowd last night, many of whom were not locals. With better publicity it could really take off.

PC Stamp
25-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Thing is "The Todd", if the Capitals could get half that sort of attendance every week the difference it could make would be incredible. With that attendance over the weekend and adding in the expected Northern Irish contingent, the place will be close to bursting! The multi purpose arena question has been broached with the council on several occasions to my knowledge but it's not something Edinburgh City Council see as a priority unfortunately.

That's why as an example, we rarely see any big music acts in Edinburgh other than for stadium gigs. The Playhouse is too small and usually booked up solid with musicals and the Corn Exchange and Usher Hall are also too wee.

That's why Glasgow seems to get all the good gigs.

There was talk of using Ingliston at one point but nothing came of it.

The_Todd
25-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Thing is "The Todd", if the Capitals could get half that sort of attendance every week the difference it could make would be incredible. With that attendance over the weekend and adding in the expected Northern Irish contingent, the place will be close to bursting! The multi purpose arena question has been broached with the council on several occasions to my knowledge but it's not something Edinburgh City Council see as a priority unfortunately.

That's why as an example, we rarely see any big music acts in Edinburgh other than for stadium gigs. The Playhouse is too small and usually booked up solid with musicals and the Corn Exchange and Usher Hall are also too wee.

That's why Glasgow seems to get all the good gigs.

There was talk of using Ingliston at one point but nothing came of it.

Oh I agree. I'd love to see 2000+ at Murrayfield every Sunday night without question, it would be a huge boost to the team in terms of financial and psychological support. It wouldn't be on a Panthers or Steelers level, but would match the Devils I'm sure and other non-Arena teams.

I think a new Rink/Arena would go a long way to helping with this, I'm sure many folk come away from Murrayfield having enjoyed the game but not the matchnight experience. I'm sure it would give the players on the ice a bit of a boost to play in a nice new rink.

There's a good case for the city to have one, any number of events could be held there and would be a huge boost to the local economy but it seems that if it's not on wheels and doesn't run on rails, then they don't want to know.

PC Stamp
25-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh I agree. I'd love to see 2000+ at Murrayfield every Sunday night without question, it would be a huge boost to the team in terms of financial and psychological support. It wouldn't be on a Panthers or Steelers level, but would match the Devils I'm sure and other non-Arena teams.

I think a new Rink/Arena would go a long way to helping with this, I'm sure many folk come away from Murrayfield having enjoyed the game but not the matchnight experience. I'm sure it would give the players on the ice a bit of a boost to play in a nice new rink.

There's a good case for the city to have one, any number of events could be held there and would be a huge boost to the local economy but it seems that if it's not on wheels and doesn't run on rails, then they don't want to know.

A mobile arena might be an idea :greengrin

We done it Dad
25-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and really looking forward to the games over the weekend. Being an old Racers supporter it was great to see so many of the old Racers fans and players there, Tony & Paul Hand, Jock Hay, Davie Park, Lindsay Lovell, Shuggie, Scot Neil, Paul Pentland and of course Moray.

Hibbie_Cameron
25-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Has the actual season started yet?

GhostofBolivar
25-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Some 2200 showed up yesterday and hopefully those who don't attend Capitals matches will have been bitten by the Hockey bug, or at least have an old interest in the sport regained.

I'm a massive hockey fan, but I'm not going back to Murrayfield after the Marlies go home.

I have no interest in seeing poor quality hockey. Seeing the Capitals once costs the same as the monthly charge for the NHL's online service which lets me watch as many games as I want. Which is much more relevant to my interests.

I'd also say it's pretty poor when the local paper (http://sport.scotsman.com/other-sports/Ice-Hockey-Cody-tells-Capitals.5679362.jp) can't report on games properly (the Marlies were the team that took two penalties last night, meaning that the one stat the guy gave is totally wrong).

The_Todd
25-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Has the actual season started yet?

Yes. The capitals have so far played two games- a 9-2 win over Hull and a 4-3 OT defeat by Nottingham meaning we've picked up 3 points from 4. Not a bad start at all.

The_Todd
25-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm a massive hockey fan, but I'm not going back to Murrayfield after the Marlies go home.

I have no interest in seeing poor quality hockey. Seeing the Capitals once costs the same as the monthly charge for the NHL's online service which lets me watch as many games as I want. Which is much more relevant to my interests.

I'd also say it's pretty poor that when the local paper (http://sport.scotsman.com/other-sports/Ice-Hockey-Cody-tells-Capitals.5679362.jp) can't report on games properly (the Marlies were the team that took two penalties last night, meaning that the one stat the guy gave is totally wrong).

That's fair enough but and I know the Elite league isn't everyones cup of tea but I'm still hopeful that it will give the Caps and UK hockey as a whole some badly needed exposure. If it gives us some new fans then that's great.

Hibbie_Cameron
25-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes. The capitals have so far played two games- a 9-2 win over Hull and a 4-3 OT defeat by Nottingham meaning we've picked up 3 points from 4. Not a bad start at all.

Cool, i really must get along soon to a game

stu in nottingham
26-09-2009, 08:22 PM
It's a heavy win for Hamilton over Belfast tonight.

(http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/article/bulldogs-earn-second-straight-shutout-with-7-0-win)BULLDOGS EARN SECOND STRAIGHT SHUTOUT WITH 7-0 WIN (http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/article/bulldogs-earn-second-straight-shutout-with-7-0-win)

Pheona
26-09-2009, 09:11 PM

I'd also say it's pretty poor when the local paper (http://sport.scotsman.com/other-sports/Ice-Hockey-Cody-tells-Capitals.5679362.jp) can't report on games properly (the Marlies were the team that took two penalties last night, meaning that the one stat the guy gave is totally wrong).

That's all fair enough, but you can't blame the Capitals for the poor reporting, it's not their fault Nigel did his usual and just wrote down what he overheard on the bus on the way home. :greengrin

PC Stamp
26-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Curious as to what you are you basing your poor quality hockey comment on? Have you watched a good number of Elite games or is it just assumption? FWIW I've watched some pretty poor quality NHL games in the past. Anyways ... as a Maple Leafs fan you've surely been used to that for the last how many years? :wink:

And as far as the match report is concerned, why not take it up with the local paper. Said journo is a freelancer so perhaps they need to know they are paying for inaccuracies.

GhostofBolivar
27-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Curious as to what you are you basing your poor quality hockey comment on? Have you watched a good number of Elite games or is it just assumption? FWIW I've watched some pretty poor quality NHL games in the past. Anyways ... as a Maple Leafs fan you've surely been used to that for the last how many years? :wink:

And as far as the match report is concerned, why not take it up with the local paper. Said journo is a freelancer so perhaps they need to know they are paying for inaccuracies.

There's a difference between enjoyment and quality. I'm sure the Elite League has it's share of enjoyable games and I thoroughly enjoyed being among the Caps fans.

Neither the Marlies or the Bulldogs brought full squads over. The Leafs are still carrying around 8 players who'll end up in the AHL. At this point, neither are AHL-calibre rosters. Yet both teams were light years ahead of the Capitals and Giants. The Capitals lost their second goal on a brutally bad line change. Dale Mitchell went from his own blue line, blew past two defencemen and scored a breakaway he should never have been allowed to get. Andre Deveaux had three points. In 21 games with the Leafs last year, he had 1 assist.

How many hooking and holding penalties did the Capitals take? 5? 6? Those were down to the opposition being much, much better than them and the only way the Capitals could slow them down was to hold on to them pull them back.

The Elite league might be fun, but it's poor quality in the same way the SPL is poor quality.

--------
27-09-2009, 01:28 PM

I was there yesterday for the double-header.

FWIW I enjoyed the day and right now I think I will be back. Not for the quality of the hockey - as I understand it, the Marlies and Bulldogs weren't up to full strength even for the AHL and were still way ahead of the Caps and Giants; this suggests that the football equivalent of yesterday would have been a couple Scottish First Division teams playing a quadrangular with mid-table Premiership sides. There was a huge difference in quality - even I could see that.

But then when one considers the same huge difference in funding between the Caps and other British hockey teams, never mind the difference between them and AHL, that's not a criticism. Allow also that the city seems to be utterly uninterested in helping or supporting the team, or even providing modern facilities for skaters generally, I'm amazed they achieve as muchy as they do....

How many ice-rinks in Scotland? Six?

What DID impress me was the attitude of the Caps supporters, and their friendliness and enthusiasm which to be frank puts the ER support to shame. For that, I'll be back.

The_Todd
28-09-2009, 06:51 AM

FWIW I enjoyed the day and right now I think I will be back. Not for the quality of the hockey - as I understand it, the Marlies and Bulldogs weren't up to full strength even for the AHL and were still way ahead of the Caps and Giants; this suggests that the football equivalent of yesterday would have been a couple Scottish First Division teams playing a quadrangular with mid-table Premiership sides. There was a huge difference in quality - even I could see that.

But then when one considers the same huge difference in funding between the Caps and other British hockey teams, never mind the difference between them and AHL, that's not a criticism. Allow also that the city seems to be utterly uninterested in helping or supporting the team, or even providing modern facilities for skaters generally, I'm amazed they achieve as muchy as they do....

What DID impress me was the attitude of the Caps supporters, and their friendliness and enthusiasm which to be frank puts the ER support to shame. For that, I'll be back.

Glad you enjoyed your day. It was brilliant to see MIR with so many fans, who were all brilliant. Even being 6-2 down to Belfast, the fans all still continue getting behind the team. Could you imagine Hibs fans doing the same with Hibs 6-2 down to another SPL team?

As for the Gardiner Cup final - that was something else. Unless I ever get to go to America or Canada some day I doubt I'll ever see a standard of Hockey in the flesh like that again.

Highlight of my day? Getting hit in the leg by a puck which flew off the ice during the final match warmup. Sore is the polite way of describing it! :greengrin

stu in nottingham
28-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Glad you enjoyed the experience, Doddie. I think your is perhaps the best way of looking at things. Hockey in this country is not of the highest quality but as has been said that doesn't stop it from being very entertaining. I think there's little point in comparing it with standards in North America. If you enjoy a Saturday night at the rink then that's justification enough to go back.

Some of the finer points of the game which are not perhaps always noticed or recognised by a fan base who weren't necessarily brought up with the game in their blood like the average Canadian is shold not deter from the overall enjoyment of an entertaining and good value night out.

I've had periods in the past, reaching back to 1980's re-introduction of the Panthers when I've attended every home game in Nottingham. I go to an occasional game only these days - mainly because I need my 'hockey fix' now and again. One of the reasons that stopped me going regularly was when the old Super League folded and a new very, much lowered wage cap was introduced. There were some healthy things to come out of that cap but for me the downgrading of the standard of the players was the culmination of a few other separate matters and I stopped attending. I'm glad to say that I am in the minority of people interested in hockey here in this city though and there are still thousands of keen fans filling the seats on game nights, I'm happy to see.

Edinburgh and Nottingham have some relevant hockey comparisons to make. Back in the eighties, Murrayfield as they were then, were a magnificent outfit at GB standard, year-on-year. At the time Nottingham had a very similar old stadium which was slightly smaller and always full. The team was not nearly as successful or consistent as Murrayfield though. I think it's lamentable that a great and important city like Edinburgh doesn't have a facility such as Nottingham's Arena. It's catch 22 situation though as unlike Nottingham, who had a sizeable fan base and moved it on and added to it in the new arena, Edinburgh seriously needs a new stadium to progress. AS an aside, another area of support in a brand spanking new stadium might potentially come from Fife too which was always a hockey hotbed.

Sadly I really don't think they can capture those potential crowds without the shot in the arm of a new facility to replace the tired old one at Riverside Crescent. I say that as a hockey fan who has enjoyed many a game at the rink and who indeed learned to skate, as a youngster, on the excellent ice there.

--------
28-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Glad you enjoyed the experience, Doddie. I think your is perhaps the best way of looking at things. Hockey in this country is not of the highest quality but as has been said that doesn't stop it from being very entertaining. I think there's little point in comparing it with standards in North America. If you enjoy a Saturday night at the rink then that's justification enough to go back.

Some of the finer points of the game which are not perhaps always noticed or recognised by a fan base who weren't necessarily brought up with the game in their blood like the average Canadian is shold not deter from the overall enjoyment of an entertaining and good value night out.

I've had periods in the past, reaching back to 1980's re-introduction of the Panthers when I've attended every home game in Nottingham. I go to an occasional game only these days - mainly because I need my 'hockey fix' now and again. One of the reasons that stopped me going regularly was when the old Super League folded and a new very, much lowered wage cap was introduced. There were some healthy things to come out of that cap but for me the downgrading of the standard of the players was the culmination of a few other separate matters and I stopped attending. I'm glad to say that I am in the minority of people interested in hockey here in this city though and there are still thousands of keen fans filling the seats on game nights, I'm happy to see.

Edinburgh and Nottingham have some relevant hockey comparisons to make. Back in the eighties, Murrayfield as they were then, were a magnificent outfit at GB standard, year-on-year. At the time Nottingham had a very similar old stadium which was slightly smaller and always full. The team was not nearly as successful or consistent as Murrayfield though. I think it's lamentable that a great and important city like Edinburgh doesn't have a facility such as Nottingham's Arena. It's catch 22 situation though as unlike Nottingham, who had a sizeable fan base and moved it on and added to it in the new arena, Edinburgh seriously needs a new stadium to progress. AS an aside, another area of support in a brand spanking new stadium might potentially come from Fife too which was always a hockey hotbed.

Sadly I really don't think they can capture those potential crowds without the shot in the arm of a new facility to replace the tired old one at Riverside Crescent. I say that as a hockey fan who has enjoyed many a game at the rink and who indeed learned to skate, as a youngster, on the excellent ice there.

I forgot to mention - Charlie Brown was right - "There are three things in life that people like to stare at - a flowing stream, an crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice..." :devil:

http://www.zamboni.com/trivia/snoopy.html

stu in nottingham
28-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I forgot to mention - Charlie Brown was right - "There are three things in life that people like to stare at - a flowing stream, an crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice..." :devil:

http://www.zamboni.com/trivia/snoopy.html

Zambonis are great aren't they! Some people do more than just stare at them though...

Canada ‘08: Things to do with Zambonis (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/canada-08-things-to-do-with-zambonis/)

--------
29-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Zambonis are great aren't they! Some people do more than just stare at them though...

Canada ‘08: Things to do with Zambonis (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/canada-08-things-to-do-with-zambonis/)

:faf:

I've also been introduced to the expression "hockey mouth".

"O brave new world, that has such people in it...."

:devil: