PDA

View Full Version : Helping the players play.

hstn747
19-08-2009, 12:23 PM
While laughing at hearts' red card record I also noticed the yellow card record of other teams.

I was thinking that it might help teams with players who want to 'play football' if a yellow card resulted in a 'sin bin'. Perhaps the threat of 5 minutes down to 10 men would put teams off fouling their way through a game.

It would be similar to Ice Hockey where they have power plays.

I think it would be only fair when you think of someone like Gary Caldwell who thinks nothing of taking a yellow card if it stops the opposition's attack. Andy Dorman did it on Saturday when we had a break on and he pulled our player back.

Thoughts?

Andy74
19-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Pretty difficult to operate. There are a number of trivial offences that you can get booked for and they are not always clear as a red card. You could be severely disadvantaged when playing decent teams if you lose a player for a period where there's been an accidental wee trip and the referee has called it harshly.

Yes, you do get that with reds as well but yellows ar far more frequent and losing a player is just too much even for a small amount of time for those type of offences.

banarc7062
19-08-2009, 12:40 PM
While laughing at hearts' red card record I also noticed the yellow card record of other teams. Some of them are much higher than hearts and they tend to be the teams at the lower end of the league.

I was thinking that it might help teams with players who want to 'play football' if a yellow card resulted in a 'sin bin'. Perhaps the threat of 5 minutes down to 10 men would put teams off fouling their way through a game. And if they still played that way then the fouled team would have a slight advantage for a while.

It would be similar to Ice Hockey where they have power plays.

I think it would be only fair when you think of someone like Gary Caldwell who thinks nothing of taking a yellow card if it stops the opposition's attack. Andy Dorman did it on Saturday when we had a break on and he pulled our player back.

I don't know if it would replace a yellow or if two sin bins would equal a red or not. I suppose an argument against would be that it might prevent the lower placed teams competing with the OF as much. I still think that it would be better if players like Zemmama got more protection or that if a player fouls to break up an attack that his team be reduced to 10 men for a period of time.

Another thing that would have to be considered is that it wouldn't result in referees letting more fouls go as they are afraid of sin binning a player.

Thoughts?

Too long a post to read:greengrin

hstn747
19-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Pretty difficult to operate. There are a number of trivial offences that you can get booked for and they are not always clear as a red card. You could be severely disadvantaged when playing decent teams if you lose a player for a period where there's been an accidental wee trip and the referee has called it harshly.

Yes, you do get that with reds as well but yellows ar far more frequent and losing a player is just too much even for a small amount of time for those type of offences.

Those harsh bookings can add up to a suspension though. Sin bins wouldn't have to be totalled up like that. Punishment is served there & then.

You do rely on the ref's judgment as is done currently. It might save some players getting sent off.

JE89
19-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Not for me.