PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown

EasterRoad4Ever
18-08-2009, 08:17 PM
On the big stage, proven to be decidedly average against much better Premiership midfielders. £10m ? Blah Blah Blah.

Good player, but Scott is is no batter than he was when he was playing for the Hibs.

johnbc70
18-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I still do not get the whole Scott Brown love in that goes on here sometimes. Yes, he is a good player and probably one of the best in the SPL but he rarely performs on the big stage (tonight and for Scotland last week) and think he would struggle down south.

Dont get me wrong, he is a very good player but should be a stand out in games like tonight and last week for Scotland.

If Celtic get £10M then good on them for persuading a club to pay that, still think we did really well getting £4.4M for him. I imagine that will be a record fee between Scottish clubs for quite a number of years.

heretoday
18-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Tottenham do not need Brown when they have Modric, Jenas and Palacios.

hibee_girl
18-08-2009, 08:26 PM
To be fair he is still making a comeback from his op, this is the first game he's started (apart from Scotland last week) is it not?

Mibbes Aye
18-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Regardless of how good Brown is or isn't under normal circumstances, he's coming back from surgery and can't really be described as fully fit, I would have thought.

givescotlandfreedom
18-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Good player, but Scott is is no batter than he was when he was playing for the Hibs.

This is probably due to how he's being played but I don't think he looks as good a player.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Tottenham do not need Brown when they have Modric, Jenas and Palacios.

They're trying to punt Jenas to Villa though.

bingo70
18-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I still do not get the whole Scott Brown love in that goes on here sometimes. Yes, he is a good player and probably one of the best in the SPL but he rarely performs on the big stage (tonight and for Scotland last week) and think he would struggle down south.

Dont get me wrong, he is a very good player but should be a stand out in games like tonight and last week for Scotland.

If Celtic get £10M then good on them for persuading a club to pay that, still think we did really well getting £4.4M for him. I imagine that will be a record fee between Scottish clubs for quite a number of years.

Think he was always going to struggle to be a stand out in tonights game up against a fantastic Arsenal team, he would however be a stand out against most mid table and lower premiership teams, still think apart from the top 4 the premiership is massively over rated and i'm sure he could quite easily hold his own down there.

johnbc70
18-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Think he was always going to struggle to be a stand out in tonights game up against a fantastic Arsenal team, he would however be a stand out against most mid table and lower premiership teams, still think apart from the top 4 the premiership is massively over rated and i'm sure he could quite easily hold his own down there.

Agree somewhat, but big players perform in big games. That is what makes the difference between a good player and a great player.

Maybe at a team like Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan etc he would be a stand out but he is not going to get anywhere near a top 6 english team.

Still I am sure he is quite happy at Celtic, afterall he had the choice to go down south but decided to sign for them.

Sergey
18-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Regardless of how good Brown is or isn't under normal circumstances, he's coming back from surgery and can't really be described as fully fit, I would have thought.

That's the crux of the matter, but don't let it stand in the way for Average Joe Punter to have an unwarranted dig for the sake of it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-08-2009, 09:06 PM
On the big stage, proven to be decidedly average against much better Premiership midfielders. £10m ? Blah Blah Blah.

What is the average transfer fee in the Premiership?

To buy a decidedly average midfielder in the Premiership you might need to shell out £15m

Stop trying to shout the boy down. He DID NOT look out of place against one of Europes top teams, and he will get better.

Winston Ingram
18-08-2009, 09:08 PM

tbf - he was stuck out on the right in the 1st half. He can't do it on his own. Celtic were *****e

Brando7
18-08-2009, 09:12 PM
tbf - he was stuck out on the right in the 1st half. He can't do it on his own. Celtic were *****e

:agree:

We all know it not his best position

mim
18-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Scott Brown has the talent to play for (and will play for) one of the top sides in England or Europe. I have no doubt of that.

To judge him tonight, having just missed a complete pre-season with Celtic, is ridiculous and, in any case, he performed perfectly well tonight in a team that was being outclassed.

Jonnyboy
18-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Interesting opinion but rubbish in my view :wink:

As has been said, Brown is still to fully recover from his op and was played out of position tonight but hey if that made him look ordinary it's hardly surprising.

As Mike in Munich says the laddie will go on to play at a far higher level and that's because he's good enough to do so :agree:

Allant1981
18-08-2009, 09:38 PM
My gaffer has a season ticket at Parkheid and he says Brown is by far celtics best player and when he gets fit again will be the main man again for celtic. I reckon he will only be in scotland another year before going down south

jakedance
18-08-2009, 09:39 PM
If he wants to win trophies and play in the champions league (albeit not this year) then he's probably found his level.

When he played his debut (maybe) for Scotland against Italy I thought he looked good enough to play at the very highest level but I'm not convinced he's fullfilled his potential. Time will tell I suppose.

Billychaotic182
18-08-2009, 09:40 PM
They're trying to punt Jenas to Villa though.

No he's not:grr::grr:

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7501966

greenlex
18-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Scott Brown has the talent to play for (and will play for) one of the top sides in England or Europe. I have no doubt of that.

To judge him tonight, having just missed a complete pre-season with Celtic, is ridiculous and, in any case, he perf:agree:ormed perfectly well tonight in a team that was being outclassed.

What he said.:agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-08-2009, 09:57 PM
If he wants to win trophies and play in the champions league (albeit not this year) then he's probably found his level.

When he played his debut (maybe) for Scotland against Italy I thought he looked good enough to play at the very highest level but I'm not convinced he's fullfilled his potential. Time will tell I suppose.

How old is the boy?

jakedance
18-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Dunno how old he is.

He's a great player, no doubt about it, and he could pick his team almost anywhere but Man Utd? Chelsea? Barcelona? Inter? Cannae see it so I'll stand by my point.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Dunno how old he is.

He's a great player, no doubt about it, and he could pick his team almost anywhere but Man Utd? Chelsea? Barcelona? Inter? Cannae see it so I'll stand by my point.

Fairplay.

I think Brown has to move soon tho to realise his full potential, but he cant be judged yet.

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Like Brown very much but for the sake of his career he should get out of Parkhead. It was the wrong move for him and in my opinion, football wise, he's gone backwards. Has been poorly deployed. Spurs would be a decent move.

Iain G
19-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Like Brown very much but for the sake of his career he should get out of Parkhead. It was the wrong move for him and in my opinion, football wise, he's gone backwards. Has been poorly deployed. Spurs would be a decent move.

Perhaps another year under Mowbray will see him progressing again, a few years under Strachan, not being utilised to the best of his strengths and talents is enough to knock even the best player out of their groove.

Mogga to revitilise his career and then a big move to England next year are quite likely IMHO. :agree:

J-C
19-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Just back from op and played on the right in the first half, were he was expected to do a lot of tracking back and fitness didn't allow him to do ti well. Moved into CM when that huddie Donati was taken off and looked a lot better and happier.

Tiocfaidh Ar La
19-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Nonsense.

Brown was good last night, considering he's on comeback from injury and played in an under par team.

Only him, N'guemo and McGeady looked able to compete with Arsenal.

What fee would Darren Fletcher command if he moved to another premiership club?

Brown is easily as good as Darren Fletcher, IMO is better, and that is a player who is vastly under-rated at Man Utd.

Anyway, haha Celtic. :bye:

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I think that he is a better player since he left ER. Players on the up, improve when they play both with and against better players. He turned the game for Celtic when they played in Russia.

RoslinInstHibby
19-08-2009, 07:59 AM
for me Brown had a good game last last night, was always keen to get on the ball and covered a fair bit of grass, was also a wee bit unlucky with his shot at goal. Considering he was not fully fit and was against one of the top teams in Europe, he did well.

Brown, McGeady & N'guemo looked more than capable of playing in the premiership, the rest looked totally outclassed. Thought Fox's crossing was terrible.

Arsenal to score 3 or 4 in the return leg and McGeady or Brown to be sold before the end of the transfer window to balance the books.:agree:

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Thought Brown was one of Celtcs better players. He should go to the Premiership now if he has the chance and play in the big boys league. It can only improve him as a player.

Hibby 2005
19-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Tottenham would be a good fit for Brown. He's not Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea class but good enough for a middle EPL team.

Littlest Hobo
19-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Broony is a "really good player" but if he could find some kind of consistency with his passing and add a few more goals to his game then who knows, he could be a great player. But for now he's only a really good player:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2009, 10:07 AM
He could play for any of the clubs from 4th place down. In fact put him in with fabregas and denilson, and i'm sure he wouldnt look out of place. He's not even fit, yet did not look out of place. He will play in the EPL, and will thrive on it.

McD
19-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Moving down south to a decent club would improve his game further, in the way of only working with better players can.

He's been a standout in the scotland team against more illustrious opponents, (Paris being one), but as many have said, playing in a poor celtic team in a league that does not especially push him to become better will ultimately end up with his career stagnating.

Remains to be seen if he has the appetite/ambition to push on and establish himself down south/abroad. I would hope he does.

He wouldnt get near a top 4 prem side just now, but a couple of seasons playing for a spurs/everton/villa/etc type side could see him develop into the kind of spectacular player he could be

snooky
19-08-2009, 12:17 PM

I've always thought SB would be on Fergie's list to step into Paul Scholes' boots.
Agree with DBS. Scott should get out of Soapyville asap.

Gary_Mc
19-08-2009, 12:48 PM
He's just a very average footballer. Can't shoot, can't tackle, can't pass, can't cross, can't header... decent engine and runs about a lot but that's it.

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 12:51 PM
He's just a very average footballer. Can't shoot, can't tackle, can't pass, can't cross, can't header... decent engine and runs about a lot but that's it.

Are your eyes painted on? :wink:

ScottB
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Very much so, Strachan played him in the wrong position. I would imagine he will improve at Celtic with TM in charge, but ultimately the Premiership will improve him further, which will be good for the national team.

Along with Gordon, he is probably the only current player who could go on to play at the highest level.

Gary_Mc
19-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Are your eyes painted on? :wink:

Quite the opposite.

I'm just not part of the Hibs.net wankfest.

If he'd came through at Rangers or Hearts instead of us, you'd be saying the same.

Sir Mixulot
19-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Can I just say we did well to get £5.5million for Scott Brown. The £4.4million was up front and the rest was based on appearances, which I believe we will see in the not so distant future

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 01:23 PM
There are plenty of good players in Scotland from all teams the fact Scott Brown played for Hibs doesnt particularly have anything to do with it. The fact he was transferred for £4.5m a Scottish record is now an established internationalist and is now touted for a move to the English Premier for approx £10m suggests that he has a bit about him as a player and that it isnt just Hibs.net **********s :greengrin that think this. He certainly isnt the perfect player that is true however to say he is a 'very average player' is patently a crock. Maybe too much wankfesting of your own has affected your sight. :greengrin

Gingertosser
19-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Not as part of a sell on clause, but rather under the Nurturing Talent ruling, would we be due a slice of the transfer? How old is Scott Brown?

Jonnyboy
19-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Quite the opposite.

I'm just not part of the Hibs.net wankfest.

If he'd came through at Rangers or Hearts instead of us, you'd be saying the same.

Hmmm are your eyes blue by any chance?

ancient hibee
19-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Dunno how old he is.

So you don't think he'll turn out better than Fletcher or Carrick or Anderson or Park or Nani?

FRes Hibbie
19-08-2009, 08:38 PM
So you don't think he'll turn out better than Fletcher or Carrick or Anderson or Park or Nani?

Carrick is an excellent player and is (technically) superior to Brown in every way. Park has also performed very, very well whenever he's played - the fact that Fergie picks him in the vast majority of the big games tells it's own story. Man Utd didn't pay a transfer fee for fletcher and considering Man Utd - in the big games - play with 3 fairly defensive central midfielders I would suggest that Fletcher would be a much better bet there than Brown. Anderson is still only 21 compared to Brown who's 24 so it's hard to say how well Anderson has actually 'turned out' yet. I would bet that by Brown's age Anderson will be a superior player (if he isn't already). Similar story with Nani as he's still only 22, with Ronaldo and Tevez out the way who's to say Nani won't make a massive impact this season - a lot of people thought Ronaldo was gash after his first season or two. Anyway, Nani and Park play in a completely different positions to Brown so there is no comparison.