PDA

View Full Version : Red sox brawl

H18sry
18-08-2009, 07:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcq3ZQy9-tI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Fhome%2Eph p%3Fref%3Dhome&feature=player_embedded :greengrin

J-C
18-08-2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcq3ZQy9-tI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Fhome%2Eph p%3Fref%3Dhome&feature=player_embedded :greengrin

Been getting into baseball again since my hip operation( watching a lot of telly), Youkilis got a 5 game ban for starting it.

Sylar
18-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I felt Youkilis was a little unlucky actually for getting such a heft ban. I agree with Kornheiser (PTI presenter) that Porcello isn't usually so wild when pitching. I've only ever seen him hit one batter before, and it was a sinker which caught Justin Morneau on the foot.

Youkilis WAS crowding the plate a little, but he does that all the time - I think Porcello got frustrated and released a little.

Pretty tame baseball brawl by any count, anyway, but the Sox are getting renowned for it. The brawls vs the Rays at Fenway last year were fantastic!:thumbsup:

J-C
18-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I felt Youkilis was a little unlucky actually for getting such a heft ban. I agree with Kornheiser (PTI presenter) that Porcello isn't usually so wild when pitching. I've only ever seen him hit one batter before, and it was a sinker which caught Justin Morneau on the foot.

Youkilis WAS crowding the plate a little, but he does that all the time - I think Porcello got frustrated and released a little.

Pretty tame baseball brawl by any count, anyway, but the Sox are getting renowned for it. The brawls vs the Rays at Fenway last year were fantastic!:thumbsup:

Youkilis has been hit 10 times this year but he also crowds the plate, so pitchers throw near his body to make it harder for him. It's been brewing for a while, he did rugby tackle the guy, if he just ran at him shouting, nothing would've happened but to throw him to the ground, well a ban was a certainty.

H18sry
18-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Youkilis has been hit 10 times this year but he also crowds the plate, so pitchers throw near his body to make it harder for him. It's been brewing for a while, he did rugby tackle the guy, if he just ran at him shouting, nothing would've happened but to throw him to the ground, well a ban was a certainty.

But for the pitcher to get 5 games aswell is a bit harsh IMO :agree:

rossevenil
18-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Strangely enough Dennis Eckersley went from thinking the kid didnt mean it to erm yes he did mean it!

Was watching the game at the time and previous Tigers at bat the Red Sox pitcher Tazawa hit one of the Tigers star men on the hand with a rising fast ball I think it was,so out come the Tigers and Porcello who had had fantastic control over his pitches up to that point suddenly fires his first pitch at Youkilis and its straight into the body,Q charge at the mound.:grr:

Apparently Porcello has only hit 1 previous batter this season and guess who that was?.....................................YEP BIG YOUK!! Coincidence I think not.

Porcello was having a good game to that point and this completely changed the result with the Red Sox pounding the replacement pitcher.

Meant to add anyone who likes the baseball I can strongly recommend purchasing MLB.TV to watch on the PC! $35 and you can watch as many games as you like for the rest of the season,aswell as being able to go to the seasons archives and watch previous games,quality I have had has been brilliant!!

Sylar
18-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Strangely enough Dennis Eckersley went from thinking the kid didnt mean it to erm yes he did mean it!

Was watching the game at the time and previous Tigers at bat the Red Sox pitcher Tazawa hit one of the Tigers star men on the hand with a rising fast ball I think it was,so out come the Tigers and Porcello who had had fantastic control over his pitches up to that point suddenly fires his first pitch at Youkilis and its straight into the body,Q charge at the mound.:grr:

Apparently Porcello has only hit 1 previous batter this season and guess who that was?.....................................YEP BIG YOUK!! Coincidence I think not.

Porcello was having a good game to that point and this completely changed the result with the Red Sox pounding the replacement pitcher.

Meant to add anyone who likes the baseball I can strongly recommend purchasing MLB.TV to watch on the PC! $35 and you can watch as many games as you like for the rest of the season,aswell as being able to go to the seasons archives and watch previous games,quality I have had has been brilliant!!

Awww, boo-hoo. How victimised are the poor wee Red Sox :rolleyes:

Give me a break - Boston are absolutely renowned for indiscipline. Their disciplinary conduct in the last 2 years has been embarassing - their antics at Tropicana last year AND Kansas were laughable, particularly when Coco Crisp charged the mound.

I'm willing to bet that Porcello isn't the only pitcher to have hit Youkilis this season - he only has himself to blame for continually crowding the plate the way he does. It doesn't bode well when he faces a right handed pitcher, as there's always the risk of a loose throw tailing right.

And Porcello hit Alex Pierzinsky in the last series between the White Sox and us, the last time we squared up at Cellular, so he's hardly singling Youkilis out.

Agree with the promoting of MLB.tv - it's a superb package with full coverage from the UK. Also been host to my fantasy baseball this year, which I currently lead :greengrin

rossevenil
18-08-2009, 03:53 PM
At what point am I saying feel sorry for the RedSox exactly???

Was responding to the post on what happened in the game and going over what was said on the coverage,it was the commentators who said he had only hit 1 other batter that being Youkilis!!

Was more in response to the person who felt that a 5 game ban was unfair for the Tigers pitcher.
End of the day a 5 game ban for a pitcher will mean missing 1 start compared to the batter missing 5 starts,so in those terms its really a 1 game ban to a 5 game actual ban.

End of the day the pitchers decision to hit Youkilis cost his team the game,so brilliant thanks very much because the Sox were struggling against him.

And am I missing something but is it not the batters job to make it difficult for pitchers to get them out? Is Youkilis breaking any rules the way he stands at the plate?

J-C
18-08-2009, 03:56 PM

It's on ESPN America, sky ch 430, which I get with the ESPN package.

Sylar
18-08-2009, 04:53 PM
At what point am I saying feel sorry for the RedSox exactly???

Was responding to the post on what happened in the game and going over what was said on the coverage,it was the commentators who said he had only hit 1 other batter that being Youkilis!!

Was more in response to the person who felt that a 5 game ban was unfair for the Tigers pitcher.
End of the day a 5 game ban for a pitcher will mean missing 1 start compared to the batter missing 5 starts,so in those terms its really a 1 game ban to a 5 game actual ban.

End of the day the pitchers decision to hit Youkilis cost his team the game,so brilliant thanks very much because the Sox were struggling against him.

And am I missing something but is it not the batters job to make it difficult for pitchers to get them out? Is Youkilis breaking any rules the way he stands at the plate?

No, but then, doing that, he has to expect he's going to take a few sore ones and behave accordingly.

My "boo-hoo sorry for the Red Sox" comment wasn't really aimed at you, but more the media outcry, stating that Porcello singled Youkilis out.

That wasn't really clear though, so apologies for the ambiguity!

Sylar
18-08-2009, 04:55 PM
It's on ESPN America, sky ch 430, which I get with the ESPN package.

I actually subscribed to both to be honest - ESPN America was part of Setanta, which I had anyway (and still have now through ESPN), and it was great for showing games frequently, but the MLB.tv means I've been able to watch every Tigers game at some point this season, even if it's the next day on account of the time difference!

At £40 for the entire season, It was great value for me!

rossevenil
18-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok Scott,apology accepted mate :wink:

The thing with Youkilis is I have seen him take a lot of pitches hitting him but when he feels its deliberate he will react,something which he probably needs to control,but then its kinda part of baseball to have the odd bench clearance:agree:

As for ESPN coverage I also have this aswell but for $35 for everygame until the end of the season is a bargain,and to be honest I can see the team I want to watch every night without fail,aswell as checking on the other games and if I wish I just change to another game with a click of the mouse.

Sylar
18-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok Scott,apology accepted mate :wink:

The thing with Youkilis is I have seen him take a lot of pitches hitting him but when he feels its deliberate he will react,something which he probably needs to control,but then its kinda part of baseball to have the odd bench clearance:agree:

As for ESPN coverage I also have this aswell but for $35 for everygame until the end of the season is a bargain,and to be honest I can see the team I want to watch every night without fail,aswell as checking on the other games and if I wish I just change to another game with a click of the mouse.

Porcello's not really the type of pitcher who would go after a player. We're not really renowned for being a dirty organisation and I don't think I've ever witnessed one of our pitchers throwing at a player intentionally.

Porcello has good command and I agree the pitch was errant, but I don't think he intended to hit Youkilis (even in light of Cabrera being hit in the hand the previous inning).

If we had Nate Robertson on the mound, I would perhaps believe it was maybe aimed, but not Ricky.