PDA

View Full Version : Pedal for Scotland

BroxburnHibee
17-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Anyone on here taken part in this.

4 weeks time I'm doing it (along with Hibbyradge) and I wouldn't say I have done a great deal of training yet :greengrin

As you can see from my sig I'm trying to raise some money for The Ayrshire Hospice - they looked after my mother-in-law when she passed away and I really admired the people who worked there.

My wife has raised quite a bit doing events like the Moonwalk and I really wanted to do something as well.

I had hoped it might help me get fit as well - that hasn't quite worked out yet :cool2:

Looking forward to it though - just hope it doesn't rain. :wink:

Kaiser_Sauzee
17-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Anyone on here taken part in this.

4 weeks time I'm doing it (along with Hibbyradge) and I wouldn't say I have done a great deal of training yet :greengrin

As you can see from my sig I'm trying to raise some money for The Ayrshire Hospice - they looked after my mother-in-law when she passed away and I really admired the people who worked there.

My wife has raised quite a bit doing events like the Moonwalk and I really wanted to do something as well.

I had hoped it might help me get fit as well - that hasn't quite worked out yet :cool2:

Looking forward to it though - just hope it doesn't rain. :wink:

I've done it the past 2 years. First year was hard going - second a wee bit easier. Make sure you do a few miles per day at least to get your legs built up a bit. On the day have a decent breakfast and take on plenty fluids. Take energy bars and isotonic drinks on your journey - you'll need them. There are rest stops on the route and you get a feed at Avonbridge and or Linlithgow. You'll really enjoy it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I've done it the past 2 years. First year was hard going - second a wee bit easier. Make sure you do a few miles per day at least to get your legs built up a bit. On the day have a decent breakfast and take on plenty fluids. Take energy bars and isotonic drinks on your journey - you'll need them. There are rest stops on the route and you get a feed at Avonbridge and or Linlithgow. You'll really enjoy it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Good advice. I'll take it. :thumbsup:

speedy_gonzales
18-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Having also done it a few times, I second the breakfast/fluids/energy bars. Might seem obvious, but if you take bananas(excellent source for complex carbs) make sure you protect them, 50 miles getting shoogled in a rucksack/pannier doesn't make them too appetizing!

When you start, TAKE IT EASY, a lot of novices race ahead or hang on to a group of experienced cyclists. This makes you feel like Chris Hoy for all of 15 mile (maybe) then you're left struggling to get your head around the 40 remaining miles. Get a pace that your comfortable with and stick with it. Thankfully there aren't too many hills on this route but when you do come across them, let the gears flatten them out, no point getting out the saddle just to be out of breath and have dead legs when your coming down the other side.

Also, if you have time and a spare £30, get your bike checked over at your local bike shop. A smooth running bike will take out a lot of effort from a big ride.

Enjoy!

Hibbyradge
18-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Enjoy!

Highly unlikely! :worried:

Woody1985
18-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Got a link?

I've been cycling to work (only 4.5 miles or so) over the last two weeks.

Got an ankle injury so running is out the windae and that's why I've taken up the cycling.

HibeeMassive
18-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm doing it this year for the first time also, and am really looking forward to it .. :rolleyes:
Training is going ... well, its not really ... but I'm sure it'll be fine! :bitchy:

I'll be the one lying in the gutter after about 20 miles, please say hi on the way past :greengrin

Thanks for the advice though guys, will make sure its taken on board.
Good luck to anyone else doing this, I'm sure it will be a good day!

Edit - sorry, here's the link http://pedalforscotland.org

Gatecrasher
18-08-2009, 10:09 AM
What's Pedal for Scotland? How do you get involved? Iv recently taken up cycling and would like something to aim for next year

CallumHibs07
18-08-2009, 10:43 AM
What's Pedal for Scotland? How do you get involved? Iv recently taken up cycling and would like something to aim for next year

It's the 55-mile cycle from Glasgow-Edinburgh, Edinburgh-Glasgow (changes each year I think).

I did it last year, you'll be fine but it's quite hard work, it seems all uphill but the downhill bits are the bits you look forward to.

Just do some practice and you'll be fine.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
18-08-2009, 10:46 AM
It's the 55-mile cycle from Glasgow-Edinburgh, Edinburgh-Glasgow (changes each year I think).

I did it last year, you'll be fine but it's quite hard work, it seems all uphill but the downhill bits are the bits you look forward to.

Just do some practice and you'll be fine.

Good luck :thumbsup:

cheers its something ill defo look into :thumbsup:

Sprouleflyer
18-08-2009, 10:49 AM
First time for me, looking forward to it, cycle a bit in the mornings and weekends but have never cycled 50 miles in the one go.

Will take the advice re breakfast, I do have a banana protector, so that will come in handy :thumbsup:

whaley
18-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Yep, me and 4 other mates have put a team in (all Hibby's, 4 of us season ticket holders).

Only one of us has done it before but he reckons that if you're riding your bike regularly and get a couple of decent length runs in before hand then that should be cool. :cool2:

Time will tell though but I'll be looking forward to a pint in the Vicky Park when I, hopefully, finish.

One thing I am thinking about doing though is changing the tyres on the bike from the standard chunky mountain bike tyres to something a little slicker....

BroxburnHibee
18-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Yep, me and 4 other mates have put a team in (all Hibby's, 4 of us season ticket holders).

Only one of us has done it before but he reckons that if you're riding your bike regularly and get a couple of decent length runs in before hand then that should be cool. :cool2:

Time will tell though but I'll be looking forward to a pint in the Vicky Park when I, hopefully, finish.

One thing I am thinking about doing though is changing the tyres on the bike from the standard chunky mountain bike tyres to something a little slicker....

:agree:

Thanks for all the advice guys :thumbsup:

Woody1985
19-08-2009, 11:55 AM
What spec of bikes do you guys have?

I have a mountain bike with a Y frame and it is ****. :LOL:

Was thinking of a more slimline mountain bike rather than a racer but they all seem quite expensive.

Biggie
19-08-2009, 12:22 PM
What spec of bikes do you guys have?

I have a mountain bike with a Y frame and it is ****. :LOL:

Was thinking of a more slimline mountain bike rather than a racer but they all seem quite expensive. The advice I was given is dont use a mountain bike for these type of events...mountain bikes are for more off road stuff...a hybrid bike might be more suitable with the bigger wheels and thinner tyres. (so I've been told)
Also, and this is important...protect your bums....if you are not used to cycling high mileage, your bums will be extremely sore...get padded shorts...they will help a wee bit...unfortunately the only way to toughen up the butt, is to put the miles in on the saddle....

Sprouleflyer
19-08-2009, 02:28 PM
The advice I was given is dont use a mountain bike for these type of events...mountain bikes are for more off road stuff...a hybrid bike might be more suitable with the bigger wheels and thinner tyres. (so I've been told)
Also, and this is important...protect your bums....if you are not used to cycling high mileage, your bums will be extremely sore...get padded shorts...they will help a wee bit...unfortunately the only way to toughen up the butt, is to put the miles in on the saddle....

Defo, even with a gel seat your backside will get very tender.

Get out now and put a few miles in, you will feel it for the first few days, but it will ease.

Also for the guys, you might get (for want of a better phrase) sack ache, nothing to worry about, like your bum needs to toughen up and will ease after a few cycles.

Just Jimmy
19-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Get out now and put a few miles in, you will feel it for the first few days, but it will ease.

Also for the guys, you might get (for want of a better phrase) sack ache, nothing to worry about, like your bum needs to toughen up and will ease after a few cycles.

www.wiggle.co.uk for your cycling needs.

Chaff ease for the problem you highlight. :greengrin:wink:

Hibbyradge
19-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I've got a hybrid so I'm sure it will cope.

I also have padded shorts and I have been out a few times although not enough yet, but I will go for a good few miles in the next 3 weeks.

sahib
19-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Is it harder than the old St Andrews run?

Kaiser_Sauzee
19-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I would also strongly recommend that you all get slick tyres put onto your bike. Conserves lots of energy and makes the cycle much smoother. You can go much faster on them too. Those chunky mountain bike tyres with big grips are hellish on the roads.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bike-components-bike-parts/bike-tyres-tubes/slick-tyres-26-inch-

Hunts
20-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I am also taking part with a couple of friends but cannot vouch for them as Hibbies. Why don't we agree a common thing that enables us to identify each other on the day. Suggestions?

Never done it before but looking forward to it. If on the same transport going through then an early sing song after the inevitable win!!!

robinp
20-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Is it harder than the old St Andrews run?

Not a chance Freuchie Hill or the hill before you run into Kinross blow the Glasgow - Edinburgh for 6. :greengrin

The old St Andrews run is still going - did both runs 2 years ago, Glasgow Edinburgh was 46mls IIRC and did it in 1hr 59m. :cool2:

The Pedal for Scotland thing is really well organised and is good fun.

H113EE5
20-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I did it last year. It's really well organised from the bus pick up to take us through to Glasgow, the rest stops, the marshalling and then finish. I've cycled the canal between EH and GW and this, obviously, has many more inclines. The one out from Glasgow is very long and although not steep is a drag constantly uphill. The worst of all though is at the end, coming out of Cramond Brig, through Barnton. After 50 miles, legs are done. I needed to walk up this one. You will enjoy the experience, hope it's dry with a hurricabe blowing from the west. Good luck. :thumbsup:

H113EE5
20-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Meant to say... agree with tyre choice. Get rid of the off-road ones. They'll make the job much tougher.

speedy_gonzales
20-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I've cycled the canal between EH and GW and this, obviously, has many more inclines.
Aye but the canal route is nearly 50% longer! I've cycled Port Dundas-Leith on a few occasions and the route the canal takes round Falkirk, then the big detour at Broxburn adds loads of miles on, compared to the relatively straight line the most direct road route takes.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Where abouts can I get on the canal route?

I live in Corstorphine.

Also, I have hybrid tyres. Would you still recommend slicks?

Sprouleflyer
20-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Where abouts can I get on the canal route?

I live in Corstorphine.

Also, I have hybrid tyres. Would you still recommend slicks?

Hybrid tyres should be fine, they are a lot thinner than mountain bike tyres and will allow you to pick up speed on the flat and down hill sections.

At the end of the day, any bike will do (as long as it's in good working order), it will just be a bit easier on a Hybrid or Road bike than a mountain bike.

H113EE5
20-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Cycle up to Wester Hailes and the tow path is close to the shopping centre. Although the canal is longer it's flatter and I felt that the Pedal for Scotland route was fairly hilly. On the tow path, I'd suggest the off-road tyres as some of the path is not as smooth as the road. I have had several punctures on my hybrod tyres on the canal way. So, I'd suggest a spare inner tube rather than a repair outfit. Quicker and easier to get moving again.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Just back from a training run on the bike.

It's a friend's 50th birthday today so I thought I'd cycle out to his house in Bonnyrigg to wish him all the best.

It was all going pretty well and I was fairly comfortable although Kirk Brae is a bit tough until I got to Bonnyrigg itself. That hill from The Laird's Kitchn pub is a slow killer. I persevered until about 50 yards from the top then had to get off in case my heart exploded.

By this time, I had missed the turning I needed and managed to get into Bonnyrigg the long way. Lost.

I asked for directions and a helpful local sent me back to that hill of death!

Rather than go round again, I decided just to return home. I still haven't found his house.

Towards the top of another hill, I was in my lowest gear when my tyre slid on a thichly painted white line and I came off, sprawling across the road. The opposite side was flying with traffic, but mercifully, there was a lull on my side. What a bloody fright.

I gathered myself together, almost literally, and headed home, only stopping off at the Uni to get some sympathy from my good lady.

By this time, of course, it was pashing down and windy, the worst combination. In other situations, wet and dangerous might rather be fun, but not on 2 wheels!

I was soaked through and had lost the feeling in my left hand and I wasn't convinced I had any reproductuve parts left either.

Thighs burnig and having been overtaken by everyone including bairns on tricycles, I finally made it back.

Computer says 25 miles in 2 hours 55 mins. 2 hours 33 minutes cycling time, 22 mins stopped at lights, on my erse, seeing my wife etc. That's the furthest I've ever cycled in my life.

Not bad for an auld fat bassa.

Showered and dressed now, I feel great! I'm off out to take in some of the Festival atmos, a ruby and a few pints. What an athlete!

Enjoy the match!

Woody1985
20-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice one HR.

Kirk Brae is a beast! I cycle up there everyday after work (only done it 6/7 days). Today was the first time I managed to get from the bottom to the top without stopping or pulling into the side roads for a 5 second rest where it's flat.

Almost got ran over for the first time yesterday at the junction at LR. Partly my fault, partly the drivers. Personally I think if you don't have a driving licence you shouldn't be cycling on roads or at least past a theory test.

It's partly due to the bike. My hardest gear is rubbish and at full pelt I'm getting overtaken by 40 year old wifeys cos I can't pedal any faster:grr:

Hopefully I can get a new bike through my work scheme. Might even make the Pedal for Scotland if I can. Not going near it on the bike I've got just now.