PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/Sky

DroitwichHibs
17-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Sky are really bigging up Scottish Football!!!

Got a call from Sky call centre yesterday- 'encouraging' me to take up the ESPN package. Was told by Scottish girl (Celtic fan it turned out) that I would be able to see 30 English Premier League games, live German, French & Dutch football. Would I like to subscribe?

I asked, does it not include the SPL?

Reply, oh yes that as well, but when I've mentioned it to other people in England, they have said they are not interested!!!

Are we really that bad?:grr:

Wembley67
17-08-2009, 05:56 PM
If you stayed in England and had no allegiances with Scottish Football would you be interested in it? I certainly wouldn't.

blaikie
17-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I work in the sky call centre, Got a big outbound (Cold calling :devil:) sales campaign on ESPN just now :greengrin The fact is there are more EPL games on ESPN than Scottish. That's why they are pushing the EPL side of things......

Unrelated but the amount of yams calling today for the game was pissing me off :jamboak:

lyonhibs
17-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I work in the sky call centre, Got a big outbound (Cold calling :devil:) sales campaign on ESPN just now :greengrin The fact is there are more EPL games on ESPN than Scottish. That's why they are pushing the EPL side of things......

Unrelated but the amount of yams calling today for the game was pissing me off :jamboak:

You poor, poor guy (If you're the one making the calls)

Hope the Yams are enjoying their PPV money - £ well spent thus far I feel.

HibsNibs
17-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't understand why Sky are pushing ESPN. Aren't they supposed to be competitors ?

blaikie
17-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't understand why Sky are pushing ESPN. Aren't they supposed to be competitors ?
Nope....ESPN and sky are working together on this one, Lot better than Setanta and cheaper as well. Gets added to your sky bill like an extra channel such as Chelsea TV or MUTV :agree: Still not good enough to tempt me away from the internet streams. :devil:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Nope....ESPN and sky are working together on this one, Lot better than Setanta and cheaper as well. Gets added to your sky bill like an extra channel such as Chelsea TV or MUTV :agree: Still not good enough to tempt me away from the internet streams. :devil:

It's not cheaper though. Sky Sports is £11 per month (?) plus £9 from ESPN = £20

Setanta cost £12.99 per month for 60 SPL and 60 EPL games. Now ESPN give you half the games for £9.

Seems to be more expensive to me.

jakki
17-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I was delighted yesterday to watch the Dutch football on ESPN, the PSV v Ajax. Hope they show some FC Groningen:thumbsup:

blaikie
17-08-2009, 07:38 PM
It's not cheaper though. Sky Sports is £11 per month (?) plus £9 from ESPN = £20

Setanta cost £12.99 per month for 60 SPL and 60 EPL games. Now ESPN give you half the games for £9.

Cheaper in the way it shows a lot more football for the money than Setanta. :agree: Still wouldn't buy it to be honest.
http://www.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Cheaper in the way it shows a lot more football for the money than Setanta. :agree: Still wouldn't buy it to be honest.
http://www.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/

ESPN have around half the EPL and SPL games that Setanta had but they're charging more than half of what Setanta charged? Seems dearer to me - the American MSL doesn't appeal to me.

blaikie
17-08-2009, 07:46 PM
ESPN have around half the EPL and SPL games that Setanta had but they're charging more than half of what Setanta charged? Seems dearer to me - the American MSL doesn't appeal to me.
It depends what kinda of games your into. Leagues like the Italian, Russian and the French also the Portuguese as well. They got the rights to the UFC too :greengrin Its a totally different type of channel from Setanta :agree:

Randerson_4
17-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I was delighted yesterday to watch the Dutch football on ESPN, the PSV v Ajax. Hope they show some FC Groningen:thumbsup:

Did that not finish 4-3? seemed like a good game

On the ESPN thing, my dad(he who pays the bills) was gonna add Setanta this season until it went tits up, as is now going to add ESPN. There are usually some decent games on it from the EPL, Arsenal on Sat, Man Utd seemed to be on every home game saturday night. Also the SPL aswell as the above mentioned foreign games

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 07:51 PM
It depends what kinda of games your into. Leagues like the Italian, Russian and the French also the Portuguese as well. They got the rights to the UFC too :greengrin Its a totally different type of channel from Setanta :agree:

So the Italian and Russian are new then. The rest was already on Setanta.

I'd imagine the majority of subscribers are subscribing for the EPL and SPL and for them you get a lot less for your money.

I'd pay a fiver a month for it.

blaikie
17-08-2009, 07:52 PM
So the Italian and Russian are new then. The rest was already on Setanta.

I'd imagine the majority of subscribers are subscribing for the EPL and SPL and for them you get a lot less for your money.

I'd pay a fiver a month for it.
That's more than I would pay :greengrin

JoeT_WasTheBest
17-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know if either of them are showing an SPL highlights programme, like Setanta had with the Full SPL?

M222+
17-08-2009, 09:27 PM
ESPN are showing the Hibs and Falkirk game on Saturday.

MelbourneHibby
18-08-2009, 02:14 AM
For any Hibbys currently living in Australia.

Does anyone know whats happening for our coverage ?? Can we tag it onto Fox similar to Setanta??

rainman
18-08-2009, 02:22 AM
For any Hibbys currently living in Australia.

Does anyone know whats happening for our coverage ?? Can we tag it onto Fox similar to Setanta??

It was setantaUK that lost the contract. The setanta over here is still running. They were showing the rangers and celtic games at the weekend.

Not sure if we'll get the highlights show tonight as that was Booth and Lovell's show and I presume they are out of work now.

Games still being shown though. :thumbsup:

Hin10
18-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I live in England so getting any Scottish coverage is pretty dire (Until satan went bust). I signed up for ESPN today and the big plus point is that the HD channel comes with the £9 charge, something Satan Tv never offered. Seems good so far and the premier games and american sport is also a plus in HD.
I think ESPN and SKY will work together as they can both sew up the premiership packages between them when its renewed without the competition watchdog getting involved.

VegasHibby
18-08-2009, 04:56 AM

Got a call from Sky call centre yesterday- 'encouraging' me to take up the ESPN package. Was told by Scottish girl (Celtic fan it turned out) that I would be able to see 30 English Premier League games, live German, French & Dutch football. Would I like to subscribe?

Reply, oh yes that as well, but when I've mentioned it to other people in England, they have said they are not interested!!!

yo yo yo wasssupppp ? dat "bigging" word yo is dat da Ebonics thang ?

VegasHibby
18-08-2009, 05:01 AM
It was setantaUK that lost the contract. The setanta over here is still running. They were showing the rangers and celtic games at the weekend.

Not sure if we'll get the highlights show tonight as that was Booth and Lovell's show and I presume they are out of work now.

I watched the Utd v Jambos game live today. Looks like this season they'll have SPL games outside of Rantic. ESPN here in U.S. doesn't appear to have changed the format though.

ChilliEater
18-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Falkirk game is on Setanta here in Oz on Saturday. Any Perth based Hibees can come along and watch it at The Irish Club in Subiaco at 7.30pm.

aljo7-0
18-08-2009, 07:20 AM

If you are actually doing the Cold Calling I will apologise in advance now Blaikie for the disinterest, sarcasm and annoyance that I am bound to show in my voice when answering your call before inviting you to come round and join my family at the kitchen table to join in the evening meal that you have interupted and is now going cold before politely but firmly ignoring your words, saying goodby and hanging up ...... :greengrin

......and that's if I'm in a good mood. The call would be much shorter and to the point if I'm not!

aberhibsfc
18-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm glad we have a TV deal, better than not having one.

However I don't like the manner in which it's come about. It reminds me of the way supermarkets create a cartel to push down a markets prices eg the Milk price court action, which the supermarkets have been fined heavily for.

Sky and Espn collaborated to manage the price down it's not a monopoly as there are two companies involved but it certainly operates like a price fixing cartel.

It's also annoying that like the BBC, they'll maximise the coining in up here whilst the real money is spread on English football.

Whilst I'm on my high horse, I enjoy MOD but it winds me up that I have to wait until 6pm on a Sunday to see any highlights of the SPL and if I want to watch the TV it's on a Sunday night at a pathetic time.

Petrie get it sorted.
Match of the Day is

hibiedude
18-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I paid £17 to get sky sports turned on then £9.99 to Get ESPN so I could get all SPL games and it worth every penny, no Scott Booth to annoy us which is a major plus.

RoslinInstHibby
18-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I paid £17 to get sky sports turned on then £9.99 to Get ESPN so I could get all SPL games and it worth every penny, no Scott Booth to annoy us which is a major plus.

aye but andy walker on sky......:bitchy:

TamHibs
18-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I quite enjoyed the ESPN commentary team tbh

JimBHibees
18-08-2009, 03:23 PM
aye but andy walker on sky......:bitchy:

and Charlie Nick and the blonde girl who used to be on Rangers tv (who mistakenly said Dons were 3 up at half time on Saturday :greengrin).

JimBHibees
18-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I quite enjoyed the ESPN commentary team tbh Woudnt disagree, though the studio team werent great though, Stubbsy was really interested in Scottish football NOT, Duffy - quite what his credentials are for being seen as an expert on Scottish football I dont know - get back to Brechin, Hendry seemed very bland and not that knowledgeable IMO, probably because he is based down south.

HibeeMassive
18-08-2009, 03:35 PM
That's more than I would pay :greengrin

Balikie - if you do subscribe to ESPN, will you only get it on one box like with setanta or is it activated on all your Sky boxes in the house?

TamHibs
18-08-2009, 03:37 PM
You only get it on the one box which is pretty **** considering SKY and ESPN are in partnership unlike Sky and Setanta

Gatecrasher
18-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Balikie - if you do subscribe to ESPN, will you only get it on one box like with setanta or is it activated on all your Sky boxes in the house?

we have 2 sky boxes and both have been given ESPN under 1 account :agree:

franco
18-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I got it as i have sky hd and so far ive really enjoyed it loved it last night,also like to add comentating 100% better and no talk of celtic and rangers for a change.wife going mad though amazing the amount of games they are showing look forward and hope they keep up the good work.

Just Jimmy
18-08-2009, 06:07 PM
You only get it on the one box which is pretty **** considering SKY and ESPN are in partnership unlike Sky and Setanta

No you don't it's on both boxes here.

hibees_green
18-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone know if the spl sky games will be on Sports 1 or 2 or is it likely to be a mixture?

Sergey
18-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I subscribed this afternoon as an ex-Setanta customer. 1 month FOC and then £9.99 per month, thereafter.

Using some right dodge digi-box that was supplied to me when Setanta changed frequencies, I was able to get ESPN within an hour of making the initial call to subscribe.

A simple activation of my old Top-Up TV card and I'm now back in business :thumbsup:

30 days notice for cancellation.

Richard Scott
18-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm on Virgins XL TV package so i'm presuming ESPN will be thrown in FOC? Can't see any charges for it on my online billing account?

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Anyone know if the spl sky games will be on Sports 1 or 2 or is it likely to be a mixture?

Aberdeen v Celtc was on Sky Sports 3 on Saturday and this weekend's game is on SS3 as well, if that helps?

scoopyboy
18-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Aberdeen v Celtc was on Sky Sports 3 on Saturday and this weekend's game is on SS3 as well, if that helps?

I thought Hibs were on ESPN on Saturday with Yams v Huns on Sky.

Richard Scott
18-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I thought Hibs were on ESPN on Saturday with Yams v Huns on Sky.

Hibs are on ESPN.

Westie1875
18-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Hibs are on ESPN.

Which is better for us as their coverage was far better last night than skys coverage of the Celtc game was on Sat.

Richard Scott
18-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Which is better for us as their coverage was far better last night than skys coverage of the Celtc game was on Sat.

I had delayed action on ESPN last-night - the words came out of there mouth before it came out over the mics :greengrin

hibees_green
18-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Ta. Looks like you'll only get the spl if you take both sports 1 & 2 as if you only take 1 or 2 you don't get 3:grr:

Richard Scott
18-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Ta. Looks like you'll only get the spl if you take both sports 1 & 2 as if you only take 1 or 2 you don't get 3:grr:

I pay £20 extra a month for all 3 :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Aye that'll be right mate - If you had to pick between SS1 and SS2 you're choosing the EPL over the Champions League (or vice versa) though so you're better with all 3.

I still think that an extra £9 for ESPN is a rip-off although a lot of folk seem happy with it for some reason - just 'cos they're not called Setanta I think. :confused:

ackeygraham
19-08-2009, 03:30 AM
for 9 quid well worth it i think, much better coverage of footy, i'd watch just about anything if they kick a ball.....well expect the yam and OF...lol

Also get the HD setup as part of it, and also goes into my multiroom for no extra cost so easy peasy and also added to sky bill. no extra DD from my bank....

Not bad.....a pint a week it works out.

Steve-O
19-08-2009, 07:53 AM
So, if the game is in HD on Saturday, can I look forward to a nice internet stream? :greengrin

Not asking for any links btw.

MelbourneHibby
20-08-2009, 12:59 AM

Cheers mate, Speirsy here !!

Thanks for that just moved to Syndey and had to get Fox reinstalled but hadn't thought to just phone Setanta and see what the script is !!! do'h !!

rainman
20-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Cheers mate, Speirsy here !!

Thanks for that just moved to Syndey and had to get Fox reinstalled but hadn't thought to just phone Setanta and see what the script is !!! do'h !!

How you doin Speirsy!

Yeah Setanta is still running, seems to have all the same shows on it. Falkirk game is on this weekend so get it in before that. :thumbsup:

haggisbaws
20-08-2009, 03:33 AM

and for that price you only get 1 sky channel not all ie. sky 1 + espn or sky 2 + espn: an like last night wi the smeltic game they chop an change the live footy from 1 to 2 to 3 so is actually £28 for sky sports all 3 channels and espn :rolleyes:

haggisbaws
20-08-2009, 03:36 AM
and sorry if i seem dense, why cant folk mention internet feeds ? :confused:

Moulin Yarns
20-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Why bother with a cold calling campaign when I've been waiting for more than the quoted three months to upgrade to SkyHD? They should sort out the waiting time before trying to recruit more customers.

Brando7
20-08-2009, 01:08 PM
and for that price you only get 1 sky channel not all ie. sky 1 + espn or sky 2 + espn: an like last night wi the smeltic game they chop an change the live footy from 1 to 2 to 3 so is actually £28 for sky sports all 3 channels and espn :rolleyes:

:agree:

Last season i only had setanta so there was £12.99 pm, didnt have the sky sports package as i'm no fussed about EPL live games

Now this season to watch the same matches seatnta was showing i need to fork out £19 for the sky sports package then a further £9 for ESPN so that £28 per month....more than double i was paying last season :grr:

Most people tho think this is a bargin if they only needing to fork out for ESPN as they always had sky sports

Danderhall Hibs
20-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Most people tho think this is a bargin if they only needing to fork out for ESPN as they always had sky sports

I already had Sky Sports and don’t think this is a bargain.

£9 per month for less games than Setanta showed you for £12.99 works out as too dear to me. I don’t know why folk think this is a bargain when they used to complain about Setanta.

Work out the cost per match of the live EPL + SPL matches ESPN are showing vs what Setanta gave you.

Brando7
20-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I already had Sky Sports and don’t think this is a bargain.

£9 per month for less games than Setanta showed you for £12.99 works out as too dear to me. I don’t know why folk think this is a bargain when they used to complain about Setanta.

Work out the cost per match of the live EPL + SPL matches ESPN are showing vs what Setanta gave you.

Agree wi u DH

I took the SKY sports package but not the ESPN as you say it aint value for money, i'll find somewhere to watch the games that on ESPN, know a few places to try :wink:

Brando7
21-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Is ESPN a 12 month subscription does anyone know?

iwasthere1972
21-08-2009, 06:39 PM

I would compare it to me (living in Edinburgh) being asked if I would like to subscribe to watching Pontypool etc in the Welsh league. I know what my answer would be.

The English probably view our league on a par with what we think of the Welsh League.

Dalkeith Hibee
21-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Aye that'll be right mate - If you had to pick between SS1 and SS2 you're choosing the EPL over the Champions League (or vice versa) though so you're better with all 3.

I still think that an extra £9 for ESPN is a rip-off although a lot of folk seem happy with it for some reason - just 'cos they're not called Setanta I think. :confused:

Well for me, I had Sky and Setanta before....now I have Sky and ESPN which means for me its better value for money.

I hadn't changed over from the old £15 a month deal on Setanta and I also have ESPN in multiroom...didnt have that with Setanta.

So in that respect it is better value for me.....it might be different for others in different situations.

Frazerbob
21-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Is ESPN a 12 month subscription does anyone know?

No, you can cancel any time with 30 days notice. Unlike Setanta, there is no re-connection fee so you can cancel in the close season and save 2 or 3 months subs.

Brando7
21-08-2009, 07:15 PM
No, you can cancel any time with 30 days notice. Unlike Setanta, there is no re-connection fee so you can cancel in the close season and save 2 or 3 months subs.

Cheers m8, really only want it for the game 2morrow :wink: