PDA

View Full Version : BBC Highlights - Hibs 2 St Mirren 1

Winston Ingram
16-08-2009, 05:33 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8204332.stm

Chuckie
16-08-2009, 05:41 PM
That lad should get the jail for that tackle...

Shocking...

Mon the Hibees...

Cropley10
16-08-2009, 05:44 PM

That's cheered me up.:thumbsup:

Cameron1875
16-08-2009, 05:49 PM
finally a short corner works:greengrin.. cracking cross from galbraith too.

josef k
16-08-2009, 05:56 PM
That lad should get the jail for that tackle...

Shocking...

Mon the Hibees...

Agree - two footed lunge at Cregg with the ball well out the way. Disgraceful that St Mirren contested it like they did. Gus MacPherson is a ****. I would like to see how he would respond if someone went for one of his players like that.

Hibster
16-08-2009, 05:57 PM
What on earth were the St Mirren players and supporters complaining about following the red card? shocking challenge. not even close to anything resembling a legal tackle

I'm_cabbaged
16-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Tell you what, I didn't realise at the game how good the goals were. :thumbsup:

Big Nish has been getting some criticism but on another day would've had a couple. :thumbsup:

CRAZYHIBBY
16-08-2009, 06:34 PM
is anyone else having problems watching the highlights? mine just keep stopping and starting

CABBAGE & RIBS
16-08-2009, 06:42 PM
is anyone else having problems watching the highlights? mine just keep stopping and starting

Pause it for a minute or 2 to let it load.

Aldo
16-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I know its only five minutes but Cregg and especially McBride looked excellent. Wotherspoon looked busy and so did Rankin.

Cannot fault the effort and the amount of shots at goal and the keeper had about 6 or seven saves.

Hopefully the start of a very good season. (fingers crossed anyway)

Bishop Hibee
16-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Definitely a straight red.

Maka and Hanlon looked equally to blame for their goal.

Both goals were good. Well done Rankin for the sliding cross to Wotherspoon.

CRAZYHIBBY
16-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Pause it for a minute or 2 to let it load.

thank you mr ribs that done the trick:thumbsup:

CABBAGE & RIBS
16-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Definitely a straight red.

Maka and Hanlon looked equally to blame for their goal.

Both goals were good. Well done Rankin for the sliding cross to Wotherspoon.

Hanlon signalled to maka to put it down park but passed it to hanlon anyway, dunno if he was trying to build from the back but he should have put it out the park to let us regroup.

500miles
16-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I've got to say i thought the blame for the goal lay with Maka yesterday, but after seeing it a couple of times, his pass to Hanlon was fine, and the fullback should have done better.

--------
16-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Didn't have a problem. will watch HI later at least it's biased:wink:

Having seen St M's goal it's a bit harsh to single out Maka. The original pass was fast and inaccurate. Makka got the ball away as well as he could only for it to come back as he was re positioning himself.

Could have been dealt with way before Maka had to scramble the ball away.

My feelings - but it would have helped if he hadn't then tried to chase the ball all over the penalty area. If he'd got back to the goalmouth he might just have saved the thing.

We could have had a few more than the two, I think. Colin Nish might have had a couple, John Rankin's shot was a good one, as was Kevin McBride's piledriver - he didn't half hit it a wallop. Both of those were just under the bar and could well have counted on another day against another keeper.

Nish has come in for a lot of stick, but not only did he come close twice, he was also involved in the build-up to David W's goal - he and John Rankin both.

6 out of 10, I'd say - but plenty to feel optimistic about, IMO.

BEEJ
16-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I've got to say i thought the blame for the goal lay with Maka yesterday, but after seeing it a couple of times, his pass to Hanlon was fine, and the fullback should have done better.
Was Hanlon aware that there was a St Mirren player at his back? Did he get a shout from a team-mate?

:dunno:

givescotlandfreedom
16-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Hanlon was under loads of pressure though, a punt up the park would've been much safer.

RoYO!
16-08-2009, 08:01 PM
cracking bit of link up play by nish for the 1st goal :devil:

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Hanlon was under loads of pressure though, a punt up the park would've been much safer.

Hanlon could have knocked it safe, but he stumbled over it.

I'm not slating the laddie, just pointing out it was his mistake that let St Mirren have the ball, not Maka's.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Indeed. :agree:

500miles
16-08-2009, 08:04 PM

He wasn't under THAT much pressure. Sure, a punt would be the safe option, but Yogi wants to play it out from the back, and quite right. Hanlon managed to control it, and THEN give it away. Maka was unfortunate IMO.

--------
16-08-2009, 08:18 PM
He wasn't under THAT much pressure. Sure, a punt would be the safe option, but Yogi wants to play it out from the back, and quite right. Hanlon managed to control it, and THEN give it away. Maka was unfortunate IMO.

Yogi wants to play it out from the back - and we haven't been doing that.

We've been blootering it up the park for 18 months.

Yogi doesn't appear to be tactically inept nor does he seem to be psychologically obtuse in regard to managing his players.

In fact, the success of his substitutions yesterday suggests very much the opposite. I'd leave it to him.

BTW - what we don't see on the highlights, but what impressed me a lot, was the way he and Brian Rice and Scott Thomson conducted the pre-match warm-up. It was a big change from recent past seasons, IMO much for the better.

CallumHibs07
16-08-2009, 08:21 PM
For their goal Hogg, Hanlon and Maka were at fault.

Hogg's passback was horrendous, Hanlon gave the ball away to Dorman, and Maka failed to catch the cross, and even after that ran yards out of the goal line to fail again to catch it.

Anyway, well taken goals and what a header from Benji! :thumbsup:

bingo70
16-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Hanlon could have knocked it safe, but he stumbled over it.

I'm not slating the laddie, just pointing out it was his mistake that let St Mirren have the ball, not Maka's.

IMO they were both to blame, Maka should have controlled it and dealt with it better in the first place and Hanlon should have been more aware of who was around him.

I actually thought Hanlon had a terrific game apart from that, also think that Maka was pretty unlucky, 99 times out of 100 he would have got away with it.

ancient hibee
16-08-2009, 08:28 PM
and set one up for Benji and hit the bar-not Hibs class:greengrin

CABBAGE & RIBS
16-08-2009, 08:31 PM
For their goal Hogg, Hanlon and Maka were at fault.

Hogg's passback was horrendous, Hanlon gave the ball away to Dorman, and Maka failed to catch the cross, and even after that ran yards out of the goal line to fail again to catch it.

Anyway, well taken goals and what a header from Benji! :thumbsup:

I thought at the game the ball bobbled before hogg kicked it you can't really see from the replay.

Still maka should have done better with it and lumped up the park.

--------
16-08-2009, 08:32 PM
IMO they were both to blame, Maka should have controlled it and dealt with it better in the first place and Hanlon should have been more aware of who was around him.

I actually thought Hanlon had a terrific game apart from that, also think that Maka was pretty unlucky, 99 times out of 100 he would have got away with it.

We can go on about it, and on about it, and on about it. It was a bad 90 seconds, followed by a very good equaliser within a minute of the restart.

I'd also say that in my experience, it isn't as easy playing against 10 men as it might appear - remember Kilmarnock at ER not so long ago? We lost 2-4 because we went at them at the charge. Yesterday we used a bit of brain and passed them out of the three points. BIG improvement, IMO.

ancient hibee
16-08-2009, 08:34 PM
On the other hand(devils advocate here)Saints did surrender themidfield in favour of packing the box which made it easier to pass the ball around but more difficult to deliver it where it mattered.

--------
16-08-2009, 08:42 PM
On the other hand(devils advocate here)Saints did surrender themidfield in favour of packing the box which made it easier to pass the ball around but more difficult to deliver it where it mattered.

I think they went to 4-3-2 after the red card. It would have been MUCH harder for us if they'd gone in 1-0 up, but thanks to young Davie (ably assisted by Colin Nish and John Rankin) that didn't happen.

It didn't help them that their goalkeeper kept putting the ball straight into touch from goal-kicks and clearances, giving us back possession.

It's natural enough to get anxious as the minutes tick away, but IMO Hughes had us playing exactly the right way and it paid off in the end. With a wee bit more penetration, we might well have scored another 2 or 3. By the end they were running well out of puff.

erin go bragh
16-08-2009, 11:30 PM
why do the highlights not show deeks shot that pinged into the top corner! ok nish handled the ball but what a finnish:grr:outside of his right boot :top marks

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Was Hanlon aware that there was a St Mirren player at his back? Did he get a shout from a team-mate?

:dunno:

Awareness is what great players have. :agree:

CallumHibs07
17-08-2009, 12:42 AM
I think they went to 4-3-2 after the red card. It would have been MUCH harder for us if they'd gone in 1-0 up, but thanks to young Davie (ably assisted by Colin Nish and John Rankin) that didn't happen.

It didn't help them that their goalkeeper kept putting the ball straight into touch from goal-kicks and clearances, giving us back possession.

It's natural enough to get anxious as the minutes tick away, but IMO Hughes had us playing exactly the right way and it paid off in the end. With a wee bit more penetration, we might well have scored another 2 or 3. By the end they were running well out of puff.

I thought they went 4-4-1 with Higdon a lone striker and Mehmet dropping into the midfield, no?

Think that's what made it hard for us, they still had so many men behind the ball, but offered little going forward.

The_Todd
17-08-2009, 06:59 AM
After seeing that I am so heartened. I couldn't get to the match as I had family up, but after 18 months off hoofball it's good to see that our players still seem comfortable passing the damned thing, especially in tight spaces.

Not the finished product, but defo something to build on.

RIP
17-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Rankin's shot begeezus - unbelievable swerve on it.

More squigglers to come if he keeps this up!!

joejoefaemexico
17-08-2009, 10:18 AM

--------
17-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought they went 4-4-1 with Higdon a lone striker and Mehmet dropping into the midfield, no?

Think that's what made it hard for us, they still had so many men behind the ball, but offered little going forward.

Later on they did. :agree:

TBF they coped pretty well with losing a man, but that's why it was important to play it patiently, IMO. It's still hard to play ten men if those ten know what they're about.

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 01:56 PM
We can go on about it, and on about it, and on about it. It was a bad 90 seconds, followed by a very good equaliser within a minute of the restart.

I'd also say that in my experience, it isn't as easy playing against 10 men as it might appear - remember Kilmarnock at ER not so long ago? We lost 2-4 because we went at them at the charge. Yesterday we used a bit of brain and passed them out of the three points. BIG improvement, IMO.

Totally agree we played well and were importantly patient in possession trying to make spaces. Our play could have been better and quicker on occasion which allowed Saints to mark up however the introduction of a bit more energy up front helped in that regard.

To be honest Saints did so well I dont think it was apparent for long spells that they only had 10 players. Compare with the Norway and Scotland game of the Wednesday previous.

--------
17-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Totally agree we played well and were importantly patient in possession trying to make spaces. Our play could have been better and quicker on occasion which allowed Saints to mark up however the introduction of a bit more energy up front helped in that regard.

To be honest Saints did so well I dont think it was apparent for long spells that they only had 10 players. Compare with the Norway and Scotland game of the Wednesday previous.

Gus McPherson's a decent coach. I was pleased we got the points, tbh - and by the way we got them.

Better and quicker is my thought too, but I was amused at the guys around me who wanted us to just lump it up the park regardless. Short memories (maybe no memories at all?) some folks. I would expect that the passing will improve and speed up as we go deeper intot he season.

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Gus McPherson's a decent coach. I was pleased we got the points, tbh - and by the way we got them.

Better and quicker is my thought too, but I was amused at the guys around me who wanted us to just lump it up the park regardless. Short memories (maybe no memories at all?) some folks. I would expect that the passing will improve and speed up as we go deeper intot he season.

Agree about McPherson.

Also think we will do better if we can bring in a bit more quality as well.

--------
17-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Agree about McPherson.

Also think we will do better if we can bring in a bit more quality as well.

:agree: We were playing without Murray and Zouma - arguably two of our most skillful footballers. Benji will add a bit of quality, too.

I see no reason as yet to doubt Yogi when he says he's looking to sign 2 or 3 new guys in the next foirtnight.

matty_f
17-08-2009, 04:58 PM
:agree: We were playing without Murray and Zouma - arguably two of our most skillful footballers. Benji will add a bit of quality, too.

I see no reason as yet to doubt Yogi when he says he's looking to sign 2 or 3 new guys in the next foirtnight.

I think that's important to remember. Both Murray and Zemmama would have given us something different on Saturday,

A couple of additions to the squad leaves us looking very healthy for the season, IMHO.

Going back to the highlights - having seen the 'tackle' for the red card from the other side, I can't believe the St Mirren staff were so vocal in their dissent. It was a shocker. Straight red was absolutely the correct decision.

soupy
17-08-2009, 05:13 PM
What was the attendence on Saturday?, ive read twice 6500 or so but at the game i thought it was more about 12000,,,,,

GGTTH:greengrin

matty_f
17-08-2009, 05:30 PM
What was the attendence on Saturday?, ive read twice 6500 or so but at the game i thought it was more about 12000,,,,,

GGTTH:greengrin

Just shy of 13500.

Hamish
18-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Don't know if it has been mentioned and apologies if it has, but does anyone recognise the guy walking along the front of the West Stand with a Hibs scarf on when Benji scores and runs to Hughes - the guy is totally uninterested:confused:

BEEJ
18-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Just shy of 13500.
Now showing 12,313 on the official site (it did have over 13,400 before). :dunno: