PDA

View Full Version : Nott$watch: Figo? Nedved? Viera? Sol Campbell?

stu in nottingham
16-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Interesting times indeed at one of my local clubs as the Sven Goran Eriksson effect moves up a gear or three. Notts County signed goalie Kasper Schmeichel on a five-year deal reputedly for a fee in excess of a million the other day, and now this...

Luis Figo and Patrick Vieira on Notts County hitlist as Sven Goran Eriksson targets stunning signings

Sven Goran Eriksson is poised to dip into his famous contacts book to pull off a stunning signing for League Two Notts County before the end of the transfer window. Eriksson, made the club's director of football after a summer takeover, has been told money will be no object to get an A-list signing from Italy or Spain. His former Lazio player Pavel Nedved and Luis Figo are both being sounded out to see if they will make a U-turn on retirement and the clubwould also find the funds for Inter Milan's Patrick Vieira.

County want to make three high-profile signings in the next fortnight and have already offered ex-England defender Sol Campbell a mouthwatering offer to reject Premier League offers to move to Meadow Lane. But the club's new Middle East owners, Munto Finance, also hope to sign a marquee name from Europe to show their ambition of reaching the Premier League is serious.

County were buoyed on Friday that they were able to persuade Peter Schmeichel's son, Kasper, to join them from Manchester City on a five-year deal.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1206823/Luis-Figo-Patrick-Vieira-Notts-County-hitlist-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-targets-stunning-signings.html#ixzz0OMAhMyUV

Brooster
16-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Stu,

Notts County are 7/4 to win the league and as far as I can see they are certainties. You will know more than me about their chances so in your opinion will they win the league? Should i be sticking my mortgage on them at 7/4?

stu in nottingham
16-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Stu,

Notts County are 7/4 to win the league and as far as I can see they are certainties. You will know more than me about their chances so in your opinion will they win the league? Should i be sticking my mortgage on them at 7/4?

I can't see how anything can stop them mate. During the past week or so they opened the season by crushing Bradford City - themselves rated to do well - by 5-0. This was followed by a strange cup reverse to Doncaster but normal service was restored yesterday with a 4-0 away win at Macclesfield.

Their new owners, Munto Finance, are backed by the fifth richest family in the world, the royal family of Quatar and heavy investment is extremely likely and has already begun. They have a great young manager in Ian McParland (a Hibby incidentally) and Sven coaching, scouting etc.

My bet is that Notts are going to be huge. Promotion this year will only be a step along the way. I can see them being a fixture at the top of the division all season through.

If I were a betting man, then yes, I'd be putting money on them, bud.

RigRoars
16-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I've always been a Notts fan...Honest

Just ask anyone :greengrin

monktonharp
16-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I can't see how anything can stop them mate. During the past week or so they opened the season by crushing Bradford City - themselves rated to do well - by 5-0. This was followed by a strange cup reverse to Doncaster but normal service was restored yesterday with a 4-0 away win at Macclesfield.

Their new owners, Munto Finance, are backed by the fifth richest family in the world, the royal family of Quatar and heavy investment is extremely likely and has already begun. They have a great young manager in Ian McParland (a Hibby incidentally) and Sven coaching, scouting etc.

My bet is that Notts are going to be huge. Promotion this year will only be a step along the way. I can see them being a fixture at the top of the division all season through.

If I were a betting man, then yes, I'd be putting money on them, bud.9 goals for,none against. you Forest guys may have to sit up now Stu:wink:

stu in nottingham
16-08-2009, 11:18 PM
9 goals for,none against. you Forest guys may have to sit up now Stu:wink:

I'm never been a Forest fan mate. Out of the two local clubs I've always gone for the Magpies! :greengrin I'm really enjoying this!

monktonharp
16-08-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm never been a Forest fan mate. Out of the two local clubs I've always gone for the Magpies! :greengrin I'm really enjoying this!:what aboot yer recent Cloughy comments?:wink:always had you down as one of them,c'mon the wee team:greengrin GOOD LUCK TAE THE AULDEST FITBA' CLUB IN THE WORLD

PC Stamp
17-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm never been a Forest fan mate. Out of the two local clubs I've always gone for the Magpies! :greengrin I'm really enjoying this!

They'll never win two European Cups on the bounce!! :wink:

stu in nottingham
17-08-2009, 08:48 AM
:what aboot yer recent Cloughy comments?:wink:always had you down as one of them,c'mon the wee team:greengrin GOOD LUCK TAE THE AULDEST FITBA' CLUB IN THE WORLD

:greengrin

I've always admired Brian Clough. Only the most one-eyed would not recognise what he did for the city of Nottingham as a whole too. Credit where it is due.

You may have missed this one mate. Just as much of a genius, ask Sir Alex Ferguson...

An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/an-afternoon-with-jimmy-sirrel/)

They'll never win two European Cups on the bounce!! :wink:

Nor will Hibs but they'll always be my team! :wink:

Beefster
17-08-2009, 10:03 AM
They have a great young manager in Ian McParland (a Hibby incidentally)

If almost 50 is considered 'young' nowadays, I feel slightly better about being in my mid 30s!

stu in nottingham
17-08-2009, 10:10 AM
If almost 50 is considered 'young' nowadays, I feel slightly better about being in my mid 30s!

Wow! How quickly time passes! :wink:

stu in nottingham
22-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Has it begun? Sol Campbell pictured arriving at Notts County for talks yesterday. ;)

Sol Campbell (http://i30.tinypic.com/4v3aeo.jpg)

CallumLaidlaw
22-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Has it begun? Sol Campbell pictured arriving at Notts County for talks yesterday. ;)

Sol Campbell (http://i30.tinypic.com/4v3aeo.jpg)

That would be a coupe. He's still good enough for the championship.

lyonhibs
22-08-2009, 10:12 AM
That would be a coupe. He's still good enough for the championship.

A what?? A Cup?? (translation of that word) :greengrin I think Sol Campbell would WIN a few of those at Notts County.

He'd certainly be a coup for Notts County, but they'd have to get into the Championship in successive seasons (at least) for him (and any other signings of that pedigree) to be there any longer than a season or 2.

Crazy Days, but if it's done responsibly and with a football manager given the reins over footballing matters (see: "How not to handle foreign investment: A Case Study - Heartsnil 2007-2009) it could be great for England (maybe the world's??) oldest existing football club.

Houchy
22-08-2009, 12:11 PM
A what?? A Cup?? (translation of that word) :greengrin I think Sol Campbell would WIN a few of those at Notts County.

He'd certainly be a coup for Notts County, but they'd have to get into the Championship in successive seasons (at least) for him (and any other signings of that pedigree) to be there any longer than a season or 2.

Crazy Days, but if it's done responsibly and with a football manager given the reins over footballing matters (see: "How not to handle foreign investment: A Case Study - Heartsnil 2007-2009) it could be great for England (maybe the world's??) oldest existing football club.

...No, as stated, he's going to be a coupe. A 2 door sports car.:agree: