PDA

View Full Version : Why do they water the pitch for 5 minutes pre-match?

aljo7-0
16-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know why the staff watered the pitch for 5 mins before kick off. I had wondered early morning if there was a danger of the game being called off due to all the rain we had had for 36 hours or so. given all that rain I was really surprised to see the sprinklers on before kick off. There must be a valid reason why - anyone know? :confused:

Coco Bryce
16-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Well it hasn't rained much lately has it :greengrin

Seriously though at the game yesterday we wondered that too?

Mikey
16-08-2009, 11:24 AM
So the grass is wet and the ball moves faster along the ground.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 11:25 AM
So the grass is wet and the ball moves faster along the ground.

Yup. They water it a half time too.

Pished myself laughing when the third sprinkler eventually popped up and soaked the St Mirren sub.

fife hfc
16-08-2009, 11:27 AM
went on the tour of Old Trafford last week and they said AF gets them to water the pitch even if it has been p!ssing down. The ball moves faster and the passes crisper (well I suppose it depends on the players).

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Yup. They water it a half time too.

Pished myself laughing when the third sprinkler eventually popped up and soaked the Falkirk sub.

it's next week we play falkirk auld yin :agree:

maturehibby
16-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Yogi on BBC interview said that the grass was too long and interfered with several passes - a word to the groundstaff about this should sort this out - though I am surprised that Mr Hibs McCourt allowed this to happen as when he was in charge of the pitch he took such a pride in it and I am serious here .
Did see the ball slow down in the half near the middle towards the FF end and thought the pitch had been a wee bit over watered

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 11:31 AM
it's next week we play falkirk auld yin :agree:

Aye, it was.

Post edited.

But less of the Auld yin. :grr:

:wink:

RoYO!
16-08-2009, 12:20 PM
think it is a good message to the away fans, and everyone else for that matter, that come along to see us watering it, clearly stating that we're here to play football.

H18sry
16-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Aye, it was.

Post edited.

But less of the Auld yin. :grr:

:wink:

:confused: WHY? you're ancient :wink:

Alfred E Newman
16-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Yogi on BBC interview said that the grass was too long and interfered with several passes - a word to the groundstaff about this should sort this out - though I am surprised that Mr Hibs McCourt allowed this to happen as when he was in charge of the pitch he took such a pride in it and I am serious here .
Did see the ball slow down in the half near the middle towards the FF end and thought the pitch had been a wee bit over watered

It was not the length of the grass that slowed the ball down it was the water lying on the surface. IMHO the grass is cut too short especially during the winter months.