PDA

View Full Version : Biggest racket under one roof and singing sections

Bob Box Fish
16-08-2009, 11:17 AM
What's the best stand / area you have been in regarding the volume of noise generated at a football match.

For me the kop end at anfield is the loudest which I have been in. The design of it generates an amazing atmosphere.

I was at the Newcastle game yesterday and they appear to have a singing section up in the gods which generated an excellent atmosphere with around 4k singing constantly throughout the game.

Thoughts ?

cwilliamson85
16-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Hampden

Dont shoot me down until I explain.

Was the game we beat France and it was the first game me and 9 other mates had the chance to go to together where we got seats next to each other.

Noise was crazy and when we scored I flew forward 5 rows.

Its not the stand that makes the noise its the people in it.

Nameless
16-08-2009, 11:26 AM
The atmosphere created by the 8000 odd Hibbies who went to the League Cup Semi against Rangers at Hampden in 2005 was pretty special. Although we were vastly outnumbered by the huns, we made far more noise, and the bounce after Dobbies goal was brilliant.

Hibster
16-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Hampden for me as well. When that place is packed the atmosphere can be immense. Was talking to some Italian supporters on the train back to Central after the Italy game a couple of years ago who reckoned that the roar that greeted Ferguson's equaliser was the loudest noise they'd ever heard at a football game

Biggie
16-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I've been to hampden to see Scotland and Hibs win...but the san siro was by far the best atmosphere for the milan derby...different class

CallumLaidlaw
16-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Dortmunds stadium for Borussia Dortmund Vs Schalke last february. 3-2 to Schalke, but the noise from the crowd for the whole 90mins was immense

ArabHibee
16-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Hampden - 1994 Scottish Cup Final - United -v- The Huns

As stated previously, vastly outnumbered by the unwashed, but what a noise we made after the goal went in and for the whole of the second half. And it was great to sing "Simply The Best" at the end of the match as they sloped out greeting into their scarves. Rangers - GIRUY!!

Si_17
16-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Level 7, Leazes corner at St James' Park, without doubt.:agree:

magnificent_seven
16-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Borussia Dortmund, the terraced section behind the goals holds 25,000 fans,unbelieveable atmosphere.

CallumLaidlaw
16-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Borussia Dortmund, the terraced section behind the goals holds 25,000 fans,unbelieveable atmosphere.

aye, we had seats just to the side of this, overlooking it, and it was fantastic to watch and listen to

Ray_
16-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Wembley 1977 & Hampden 1972 x3, one defeat & two victories against stein's Tic. Atmosphere poor in second half of 1-6 game but mentioned due to 50k hibbies in the 106k crowd at Hampden.

Hermit Crab
16-08-2009, 01:54 PM
The atmosphere created by the 8000 odd Hibbies who went to the League Cup Semi against Rangers at Hampden in 2005 was pretty special. Although we were vastly outnumbered by the huns, we made far more noise, and the bounce after Dobbies goal was brilliant.

You'd be lucky if there was 8000 hibbies there that night. I remember being in the south stand at hampden and it was pi**ing down and freezing, great night though. The fans that had bothered to go made alot more noise than the huns. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
16-08-2009, 01:57 PM
The away end at tynie is always a good sing song on derby day.

Black Kyle
16-08-2009, 03:03 PM
North Stand at Hampden for a 'big' match e.g Engerlund, Germany

The old Jungle at Darkheid - was there for Roy Aitken's testimonial

London Hibee
16-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I've been lucky enough to have been at a number of big games in Europe over the years, including the games in the derby games in Rome, Milan, Madrid and Barcelona

However nothing compares to the atmosphere at El Superclassico in Buenos Aires: River Plate v Boca Juniors.

See the footage which my wife shot here, which still gets us abusive messages in Spanish from Boca fans, almost 3 years later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsVwNP4sBU

DirtyDeeds
16-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Hampden

Dont shoot me down until I explain.

Was the game we beat France and it was the first game me and 9 other mates had the chance to go to together where we got seats next to each other.

Noise was crazy and when we scored I flew forward 5 rows.

Its not the stand that makes the noise its the people in it.

Ahhh Creamy, brings a tear to the eye!! So did gettin my chin burst open by a stray Kenny McLean punch at the goal!

Dunkin' Donut
16-08-2009, 07:29 PM

remember it well, journey there and back was hell but was well worth it :greengrin

Killiehibbie
16-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Broomloan Ibrox 1985 League Cup Semi 2nd half once everyone got in the whole place was shaking.

woody47
16-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Wembley 77
Hampden - 73 against Czechs

In fact most Scotland games the crowd, especially at half time, just rocks :thumbsup:

erin go bragh
16-08-2009, 09:29 PM
hard to choose between the eak athens game at er[the whole ground doing the hi bees bounce]
the 3 nil cup game at ibrox[singing we are the people] that stand wiz bouncing
singing the sunshine on leith at hampden after winning the cup
and stuffing that lot 3 nil at the pbs [the millenium one when le god scored then ran the lenth of the pitch to celebrate with us:top marksaw **** i could add even more

MacBean
16-08-2009, 09:55 PM

:thumbsup:
hear hear!

monktonharp
16-08-2009, 11:03 PM
hard to choose between the eak athens game at er[the whole ground doing the hi bees bounce]
the 3 nil cup game at ibrox[singing we are the people] that stand wiz bouncing
singing the sunshine on leith at hampden after winning the cup
and stuffing that lot 3 nil at the pbs [the millenium one when le god scored then ran the lenth of the pitch to celebrate with us:top marksaw **** i could add even moreIbrox cup game was very special,thought our stand might collapse! Elland Road ,70's was another good one with approx.8000 hibbies there (another one we should have won).Sunshine on Leith was emotional at Hampden too.

johnbc70
17-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I've been lucky enough to have been at a number of big games in Europe over the years, including the games in the derby games in Rome, Milan, Madrid and Barcelona

However nothing compares to the atmosphere at El Superclassico in Buenos Aires: River Plate v Boca Juniors.

See the footage which my wife shot here, which still gets us abusive messages in Spanish from Boca fans, almost 3 years later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsVwNP4sBU

One of my ambitions is to go and see the great derbies of the world. I am planning a Barcelona v Madrid (is that really a derby..?) in next few years but also wanting to do the others you mention. El Superclassico looks amazing but kind of scary as well!!!!

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Dortmund is awesome, but at the moment I am going to Ado Den Haag, 90 mins of mayhem and even when they get beat they give 100 % backing.After the 90 minutes(and the last 2 home games they lost)they stand singing and clapping the team off the park,the team is not that good but they give everything they have and it really effects the fans. Its been quite a while since I saw something like that at a game.If anyone is in the area of the Hague when they are playing at home I would thoroughly recommend it.
The weirdest thing is alot of people are still on holiday so I cant wait til the stadium is full.
The 3-0 at Ibrox is up there aswell,since I live in Holland I dont get to many Hibs games so to get to that one was Immense,thats one of the reasons it sticks out for me.
Also being at Ibrox when the huns score and its a full house makes ma ears ring, huv tae add the Scotland v France game was also an ear splitting moment. Jees theres been so many ma heids aboot tae burst

Sylar
17-08-2009, 08:43 AM
In football, probably the Rome Derby is the loudest atmosphere I've experienced.

The atmosphere you experience at Michigan vs Ohio State NCAA matches, in the Big House, is pretty untouchable though...

Littlest Hobo
17-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Sadly the atmosphere in Scottish grounds these days is very poor. I'll have to hold my hands up and admit that Tynie was probably the last place I've been to were the atmosphere was half decent. I haven't really witnessed a really good atmosphere at Easter Road since probably the Athens game. Shame!:rolleyes:

The old home internationals against the English were something special. I remember queuing up to get on the train at queen street station were the atmosphere was electric, better than most stadiums i've been to. On entering the old Rangers end at Hampden, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end seeing all those yellow flags and almost the whole stadium singing SCOTLAND! Something that will stick with me for the rest of my days.

erin go bragh
17-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Sadly the atmosphere in Scottish grounds these days is very poor. I'll have to hold my hands up and admit that Tynie was probably the last place I've been to were the atmosphere was half decent. I haven't really witnessed a really good atmosphere at Easter Road since probably the Athens game. Shame!:rolleyes:

The old home internationals against the English were something special. I remember queuing up to get on the train at queen street station were the atmosphere was electric, better than most stadiums i've been to. On entering the old Rangers end at Hampden, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end seeing all those yellow flags and almost the whole stadium singing SCOTLAND! Something that will stick with me for the rest of my days.
were you not at er when we put the yams and their undefeated[10 games]to the sword. er wiz electric in the east anyway:greengrinalso been buzzing every time we have beat celtic:confused:

Mili Tant
17-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Ibrox cup game was very special,thought our stand might collapse! Elland Road ,70's was another good one with approx.8000 hibbies there (another one we should have won).Sunshine on Leith was emotional at Hampden too.

Was that when you stole the wee Leeds fans scarf?

Seany HFC 7-0
17-08-2009, 11:12 AM

:agree:

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2009, 11:15 AM
The biggest racket under one roof is the Tynecastle ticket office. Considering all the revenues there are sent over to some dodgy account in Lithuania, never to be seen again.

Singing sections I'm not so sure about.

Littlest Hobo
17-08-2009, 02:17 PM
were you not at er when we put the yams and their undefeated[10 games]to the sword. er wiz electric in the east anyway:greengrinalso been buzzing every time we have beat celtic:confused:
I was there yes but sadly although the atmosphere was good it wasn't what it once was or should be?Just my opinion. When your sat in the East it sounds great, when your sat in any other part of the stadium it sounds ok!:rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
17-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Hate to say it, but I've been the games I've been to Parkhead, the way the stands are built capture the noise and builds an atmosphere. The games I watched Scotland play there certainly had an impact on the opposition.

ER, East Terracing, oops Stand is by far the best.

MacBean
17-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Two games that stick firmly in my mind are the 2-1 win at tincastle a couple of years back and the 3-0 Ivan sproule win at Greyskull.

I love going night games and i always feel the atmosphere is even more intense when the flood lights are on and to have won that game that night, made it even better!!

the 3-0 win was my first trip to Ibrox and my second one was just as good ;-)
I've not been back since, so maybe i should head through this year to get a third succesive 3-0 win backing the mighty hibees at Ibrox :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
17-08-2009, 04:04 PM

:agree:

Easter Road during the AEK Athens match was every bit as good though

Woody1985
17-08-2009, 04:19 PM
One of my ambitions is to go and see the great derbies of the world. I am planning a Barcelona v Madrid (is that really a derby..?) in next few years but also wanting to do the others you mention. El Superclassico looks amazing but kind of scary as well!!!!

Barca's derby is Vs Espanyol.

Barca Vs Madrid is basically Basque Vs Spain.

Basically ETA (think the Majorca bombings) want a separate Basque state and breakaway from Spain. I think that adds a bit to it Don't know if that's how the fans view it but that's my impression. Probably one for the Holy Ground.

London Hibee
17-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I was at a Barca v Espanyol game in June 2007 which was the second last game of the season and where a last minute equaliser from Raul Tamudo, combined with an almost simultaneous equaliser for Real Madrid at Zaragoza effectively handed Real the title.

Cue 92,000 very quiet Catalans.

Despite the local rivalry, the size of the crowd and the importance of this particular match, it wasn't a great atmosphere, which is primarily due to the fact that you don't get big away supports at Spanish games, even for cross-town derbies. Espanyol only take around 300 to Camp Nou and the Atletico take similar numbers to the Bernebeu. Bizarrely this seems to be the culture and is not to do with the size of ticket allocations, given the number of empty seats in the away sections

I've been to Barca v Real, 3 times at Camp Nou and again very few away fans. (Although its Catalonia v Spain Woody, not the Basque Country. I've seen Real twice away against Basque teams, Athletic in Bilbao and Real Sociedad in San Sebastian and there didn't seem to be any away fans at all)

The best Spanish game for cross-town rivalry is Real Betis v Sevilla and worth going to simply to be in amongst 40,000 green&while clad fans in the Andalucian sunshine

stevenhibs
17-08-2009, 07:16 PM
North Stand (Upper Tier) at the Sunderland Stadium of Light.

monktonharp
17-08-2009, 09:23 PM
:
Was that when you stole the wee Leeds fans scarf?:hide:ah niver,it wiz a swap:devil:

Big_D
17-08-2009, 09:39 PM

It was a great night , i couldn't believe the game went ahead after the rain all day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkM1PSCahc

Bishop Hibee
17-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Atmosphere and noise in the North Stand at Hampden for the Scotland v Italy game was unbelievable.

Noisiest recent game at ER was the "unbeatable" derby. Even the west upper were singing :greengrin

IberianHibernian
17-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Barca's derby is Vs Espanyol.

Barca Vs Madrid is basically Basque Vs Spain.

Basically ETA (think the Majorca bombings) want a separate Basque state and breakaway from Spain. I think that adds a bit to it Don't know if that's how the fans view it but that's my impression. Probably one for the Holy Ground.Barcelona is in Catalonia not the Basque Country. Espanyol v Barcelona Derby should have a better atmosphere this year as Espanyol have a new stadium , last 10 years or so they`ve played in huge , open Olympic stadium .

lyonhibs
17-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I seem to remember the East Stand, especially for the first half, being absolutely jumping for the 2-1 victory over Der Hun just after George Best passed away.

After the second goal I genuinely ended up a full 2 rows away from where I started. Possibly the best 45 minutes of concerted quality football I've seen Hibs play in a league match.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I have been to some huge games over the years, but 3 stand out for me. 2-0 v wales at anfield to qualify for the world cup. I was in the kop that night, and even today it brings a tingle down my spine thinking of it. And the previous campaign, when we won 2-0 at hampden against the czechs were fantastic atmospheres, and when the goals went in, you did feel the roof was coming off. But wembley 77 was the best, 90,000 scots did everything except take the roof off that day,:wink: and again when the goals went in, the noize was deafening.:thumbsup: