PDA

View Full Version : McBride

thebakerboy
15-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Was wondering today who Kevin reminded me of.After game heard somebody on stairs from upper level in Famous Five Stand suggesting he thought he reminded him of a certain Patrick Stnaton and I thought yes.Not suggesting hes as fabulous as Pat (one of our all time heros) but could see what he was saying , the heads up style and great passing. other thoughts folks:greengrin

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Was wondering today who Kevin reminded me of.After game heard somebody on stairs from upper level in Famous Five Stand suggesting he thought he reminded him of a certain Patrick Stnaton and I thought yes.Not suggesting hes as fabulous as Pat (one of our all time heros) but could see what he was saying , the heads up style and great passing. other thoughts folks:greengrin

Always looking for the ball and looks to get forward quickly and on the deck... Long may it continue.........

Spike Mandela
15-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Striking resemblance to Brian Hamilton:hmmm:

Gatecrasher
15-08-2009, 10:20 PM

my dad said the same thing to me, he says his body language and the way he runs reminds him of pat stanton :agree:

thebakerboy
15-08-2009, 10:23 PM
yes thats what I saw

matty_f
15-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm too young to have seen Stanton, but I would say that McBride was excellent today. Happy to take the ball, spread the play about well and got around the pitch well.

He looks a very good addition to the squad so far.:agree:

The Harp Awakes
15-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Not sure about the comparison to Stanton but one things for sure, he strolled through that game today. Spraying passes all over the pitch and protected the back 4 well. Early days - after all we were only playing against 10 men for a good part of the game but he certainly looks a player.

hibby4ever
15-08-2009, 10:56 PM
i was very unsure about mcbride when yogi signed him i first though oh no lets sign players from a team that nearly went down

i do take all that back kevin mcbride was excellent today and was always on the look for the ball :top marks

i really hope that he continues to shine well done kev :greengrin

may i also add i thought cregg was good today aswell so a big thumbs up to the guys fi falkirk well done lads and welcome to the leith san siro :agree:

EskbankHibby
15-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Matty Jack.

hstn747
16-08-2009, 07:26 AM
McBride did well today. However, I will reserve judgment on him being the next anyone until we play against a team that has 11players & hasn't conceded the midfield.
I think Keenan & Kerr could have looked good in that midfield today. St Mirren surrendered the midfield in order to sit deep & protect their back four. It is quite similar to last year for us - we often made the midfielders we played against look like class acts.
We'll see how he performs when he is being closed down a lot quicker. Before the sending off, he gave it away 3 times. Could just have been settling in.

Part/Time Supporter
16-08-2009, 07:38 AM
McBride did well today. However, I will reserve judgment on him being the next anyone until we play against a team that has 11players & hasn't conceded the midfield.
I think Keenan & Kerr could have looked good in that midfield today. St Mirren surrendered the midfield in order to sit deep & protect their back four. It is quite similar to last year for us - we often made the midfielders we played against look like class acts.
We'll see how he performs when he is being closed down a lot quicker. Before the sending off, he gave it away 3 times. Could just have been settling in.

I think McBride and Cregg played a part in a) forcing St. Mirren back and b) winding up their player into making a daft, dangerous challenge, by making a number of hard but entirely fair challenges themselves in the initial period. In the end it was "easy" for them, but they had a significant part in making it that way. BBC report says that Hibs ended up with about 20 shots to 4 (10 to 1 on target), more corners, >60% of the ball.

I don't recall too many games last year where the Hibs midfield did that. When Hibs won games last year, it was generally due to either an isolated good piece of play from Riordan and / or Fletcher, or resolute defending by (usually) Hogg & Jones, or both. There were a significant number of games that Hibs won last year despite having less ball and chances; last season could have been a lot worse. McBride and Cregg aren't world beaters, but they are at least competitive SPL players, which is more than what I think Hibs had in there last year.

hstn747
16-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I think McBride and Cregg played a part in a) forcing St. Mirren back and b) winding up their player into making a daft, dangerous challenge, by making a number of hard but entirely fair challenges themselves in the initial period. In the end it was "easy" for them, but they had a significant part in making it that way. BBC report says that Hibs ended up with about 20 shots to 4 (10 to 1 on target), more corners, >60% of the ball.

I don't recall too many games last year where the Hibs midfield did that. When Hibs won games last year, it was generally due to either an isolated good piece of play from Riordan and / or Fletcher, or resolute defending by (usually) Hogg & Jones, or both. There were a significant number of games that Hibs won last year despite having less ball and chances; last season could have been a lot worse. McBride and Cregg aren't world beaters, but they are at least competitive SPL players, which is more than what I think Hibs had in there last year.

I meant that it was a case of role reversals. Last year we conceded the midfield in most games & allowed other teams to look like class acts because they were under no pressure.
Our midfield defenately were no soft touch today & often pressed St Mirren back forcing them to pass backwards to their defenders.

Lets hope that our style of play gives McBride the kind of space & time he had today, in every game.

kano
16-08-2009, 08:47 AM
i thought mcbride first of all won his personal battels in the midfield along with creeg then emposed himself on the game as a hole more and more as the match went on.His passing was good not many forward passes but kept possesion well his orginising and communication were excellent.Also his breaking up of attacks is his strengh i think. He seems to have the desire that us hibbes love in a player.

I loved at the end he went round every player shaking there hands after a job well done.Hes the type of player who will get it in the neck when its going wrong for us but could prove to be a great signing from yogi.

joejoefaemexico
16-08-2009, 08:54 AM

i thought he had a great game and stuck to his job well, but at times the job he was doing was completely un-necessary, when we were a man up we could have done with him further up the park giving st mirren the extra player to worry about in the attacking 3rd (i obviously know attacking isnt really his game). towards the end he was doing a job that bamba (not so much hogg) is completely capable of. steady head on the ball and can pick a positive pass.

Mikeystewart
16-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Reminded me of Hartley:duck:

Golden Bear
16-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Whatever, ------ but on the evidence so far, - "he'll dae"

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 09:16 AM
So in the 5 or 6 weeks since he's signed he's gone from being a poor man's Brian Kerr to the next Pat Stanton?

Incredible stuff from hibs.net!

Golden Bear
16-08-2009, 09:18 AM
So in the 5 or 6 weeks since he's signed he's gone from being a poor man's Brian Kerr to the next Pat Stanton?

:agree:

Some punters had made their minds up that Mcbride was crap before he'd even kicked a ball for us!

stubru59
16-08-2009, 09:18 AM
On the evidence of Saturday's performance McBride simply ran the show in midfield.

No ifs or buts.

Gatecrasher
16-08-2009, 09:28 AM

No one is sugesting he is the next pat Stanton, some people have pointed out he has similar type of player

EasterRoad4Ever
16-08-2009, 09:30 AM

:agree:exactly what i thought.

Ceske Bairn
16-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Is this the same McBride we had at Falkirk?

Just shows he never tried an ounce and will be boood even more next week now :wink:

Joking aside, good to see him do well as he hasnt done that as far as I can tell at any club so far, listening to Motherwell and Darlington fans too.

H18sry
16-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Just shows he never tried an ounce and will be boood even more next week now :wink:

Joking aside, good to see him do well as he hasnt done that as far as I can tell at any club so far, listening to Motherwell and Darlington fans too.

He was maybe waiting to produce the good form when he got a move to a BIG CLUB :wink:

Ceske Bairn
16-08-2009, 10:06 AM
He was maybe waiting to produce the good form when he got a move to a BIG CLUB :wink:

Maybe.

To be fair, Hibs are a bigger club than Falkirk.

Hamish
16-08-2009, 10:08 AM
:agree:exactly what i thought.

Let's calm it a bit.

Decent first game. We'll see how he progresses.

Golden Bear
16-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe.

To be fair, Hibs are a bigger club than Falkirk.

It goes without saying that the Bairns fans will be giving both him & Patrick Cregg a heroes welcome next week. (and not foregetting Yogi of course!)

:wink:

Golden Bear
16-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Let's calm it a bit.

Decent first game. We'll see how he progresses.

He also had a very decent pre-season. I think we have a "find" on our books.

Ritchie
16-08-2009, 10:43 AM
i said it in another thread, mcbride reminded me of pirlo :duck:

played exactly the same role as pirlo does for milan. (at a lesser extent of course)

always looking for the ball and then spreading his passes (perfectly yesterday at least) to the wide players.

never tried anything to difficult, just good passes all afternoon.

lets just hope he keeps it up. :thumbsup:

Ceske Bairn
16-08-2009, 10:45 AM
It goes without saying that the Bairns fans will be giving both him & Patrick Cregg a heroes welcome next week. (and not foregetting Yogi of course!)

:wink:

Padge will be ok.

Yogi will get silly banter whilst id imagine McBride will indeed get a heroes welcome as you say :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM

After what I'd heard from Falkirk and Well fans, I can't believe how decent he's been.

Ritchie
16-08-2009, 10:47 AM
After what I'd heard from Falkirk and Well fans, I can't believe how decent he's been.

he justed needed to find a GOOD PROFESSIONAL club to bring out the class. :wink:

TornadoHibby
16-08-2009, 10:48 AM

I've been away for a few weeks and missed the pre season games so yesterday was my first look at the team!

I thought that McBride was excellent and made such a difference to the entire midfield with his harrying and tackling as well as his "head up" appraoch to moving the ball around the team to open up new approaches going forward when one seemed to be closed down! :agree:

Cregg always did well for Falkirk against us and he did well yesterday adding a bit of steel to the midfield as well as some serious ability too! :wink:

Wotherspoon I had never seen before but he looks a player in the making a d deserved his goal for the effort and ability he showed over the match! :agree:

I am pleased with what I saw yesterday and with players yet to return from injury/suspension and possibly one or two yet to come in before the end of the month, the season could well be a good one for us! :agree:

:thumbsup: