PDA

View Full Version : Question Boozy?

HibbyKeith
15-08-2009, 08:35 PM
anyone else heard that boozy has signed a 2 year deal with hibs today?

just got a text from a mate suggesting the above.

Jim44
15-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I think there's more chance of him signing for Celtic.

Badge
15-08-2009, 08:37 PM

I'd be delighted if it's true.

weststandhibby
15-08-2009, 08:44 PM
heard its with Celtic unfortunately:boo hoo:

ScottB
15-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Is this based on anything more than us keeping the number 14 open?

HibbyKeith
15-08-2009, 08:57 PM
not based on anything, a mate had heard a rumour while out this evening, text me and im asking on here if anyone else had heard anything simillar.:wink:

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 09:03 PM
If, and it's a big if, we were to sign him, then surely it's as a starter?

In which case who drops out?

Going on the way Hughes has shown he likes his team to line up, how do we fit Boozy into centre midfield when McBride seems to be a stick-on and Cregg offers a complementary role that Boozy wouldn't?

Shaggy
15-08-2009, 09:28 PM
dont need him any more..........

sorry used to like him, but we moved on........but............................... would have ivan back...

oh how fickle we hibbys can be

Expecting Rain
15-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Boozy as a replacement for Rankin, yeah!

Jim44
15-08-2009, 09:31 PM
If, as I said earlier, Beuzelin signs for Celtic, it will keep his salary at a higher level for one year, but it will almost certainly be the end of his career at a reasonably high level.

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 09:35 PM
If, as I said earlier, Beuzelin signs for Celtic, it will keep his salary at a higher level for one year, but it will almost certainly be the end of his career at a reasonably high level.

We'd likely offer him a contract next season as well.

Judas Iscariot
15-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Oh yeah indeedy..

Rankin is one of the 3-4 players that stuck out today like a sore thumb..

Bad..

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 09:43 PM

That's my point though, I think - you wouldn't play Boozy in the role that Hughes wants Rankin playing, would you?

So where does he go?

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 09:45 PM

No thanks

Expecting Rain
15-08-2009, 09:49 PM
That's my point though, I think - you wouldn't play Boozy in the role that Hughes wants Rankin playing, would you?

So where does he go?

Rankin is busy doing nothing, McBride plays deep taking the ball for others and linking up the play as well as having good positional sense, Cregg presses further up the pitch, Boozy would slot in nicely giving us imagination and a link up with the likes of Riordan, Zemmama and Benji, i like this!

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Rankin is busy doing nothing, McBride plays deep taking the ball for others and linking up the play as well as having good positional sense, Cregg presses further up the pitch, Boozy would slot in nicely giving us imagination and a link up with the likes of Riordan, Zemmama and Benji, i like this!

I can't see it. Too much duplication deep in the middle and we're sacrificing any width.

Onceinawhile
15-08-2009, 09:54 PM
boozy won't be signing for hibs, wishful thinking IMO.

He's a central midfielder, so why would he replace Rankin at left midfield?

Jim44
15-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm convinced that Beuzelin, had he wanted it, could have got training facilities with Hibs. The fact that he chose to attach himself to Mowbray's apron strings was a fingers up to Hughes and a 'take me I'm your's' nod to Celtic. The ironic thing is that he is nowhere near good enough for a run of games for Celtic, and, frankly, is possibly not good or consistent enough for Hibs. Personally I could take him or leave him.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm convinced that Beuzelin, had he wanted it, could have got training facilities with Hibs. The fact that he chose to attach himself to Mowbray's apron strings was a fingers up to Hughes and a 'take me I'm your's' nod to Celtic. The ironic thing is that he is nowhere near good enough for a run of games for Celtic, and, frankly, is possibly not good or consistent enough for Hibs. Personally I could take him or leave him.

:top marks

Totally agree Jim and the big IF - if he signs for smeltic, as we all know he will be on the bench just like Deeks and even Flood now .... :yawn:

HibeeMassive
15-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Last I heard, hibs had offered boozy a 1 year deal but he was holding out for a 3 year offer for a bit stability. Not sure if that's changed in the last day or two tho.

There was definite interest on both sides but don't know if things have progressed. This came from a good friend of his so no reason to doubt it as he's been spot on in the past about boozy.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Last I heard, hibs had offered boozy a 1 year deal but he was holding out for a 3 year offer for a bit stability. Not sure if that's changed in the last day or two tho.

There was definite interest on both sides but don't know if things have progressed. This came from a good friend of his so no reason to doubt it as he's been spot on in the past about boozy.

Heard what you heard.

down-the-slope
15-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Not sure how he would get on - being binned by Coventry is not an advert for current form:rolleyes:

He would be an asset on the training pitch with such a young squad (was great for Thomson & Brown) which is why all told Hibs were offering a 1 year deal (allegedly :wink:)

Ferryhibby
15-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah indeedy..

Bad..

Rankins just gash he plays slightly better when in centre mid but weve got that area covered, well covered would hope he was to go with the rest of the mixu dynasty but as Yogi tried to sign him for Falkirk think hel be here for a while and unfortunately turn into the Hamilton,Brazil,Kerr mould of players doing the 'unseen' work

GreenOnions
16-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I remember when Hibs had Thomson, Brown and Beuzelin at the club Tony Mowbray went and brought in Michael Stewart. Over the course of a season all got significant time on the pitch - and that was when we also had Sproule, Zemmama and even Fletcher also playing centrally.

If you want to play proper football you can almost never have enough quality central midfielders - particularly when you imagine the team deprived of one or two key players through injury or suspension.

I would love to see Beuzelin back in a Hibs shirt.

Cabbage East
16-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I never post rumours on here, ever, but I have heard that Boozy has signed a deal with us today. We'll see.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-08-2009, 01:12 AM
I would like to think he would sign for Hibs and get his career back on track.

Apart from getting a nice pay deal, what is the point of him signing for Smeltc? He'll sit on their bench for two years and waste away the best part of his career. :bitchy:

Cropley10
16-08-2009, 07:38 AM

:agree: I can't work out what Rankin actually does, other than shoot from about 30 yds every chance he gets...

Hibby70
16-08-2009, 07:46 AM
:agree: I can't work out what Rankin actually does, other than shoot from about 30 yds every chance he gets...

Think you'll find now that DVZ is out of the picture that Rankin is this years scapegoat where people give him abuse even although he puts in twice as much work as "those that shall not be abused".

I agree that Rankin is not the most talented player at the club but he was all over that pitch yesterday making himself available for a pass and I think works really well with Cregg and McBride.

If we get Boozy back we'll see a big difference in talent but a big drop in workrate in that position.

500miles
16-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Rankin was unfortunate yesterday as we always seemed to try and attack the left back - probably because Wotherspoon was having such a good game and costantly demanding the ball. I heard him get a lot of grief for nothing, and heard nothing when he done well to pick up the ball in central areas, release a cracking shot which whizzed just over the crossbar, or done well to keep the ball. Some fool behind me lost the plot with him for passing the ball back to his fullback when we were 2-1 up. Ball retention - that's how Yogi wants us to play, and its what I like to see, so I am a fan of Rankin's.

What Rankin isn't is fancy - and some Hibs fans can't handle that, everyone needs to be either a flair player, a hardman, or an underdog. Cregg isn't fancy, but his tackling is thunderous, and McBride came here as the guy who everyone wanted to prove the critics wrong. Rankin was just a signing, who would clearly do OK, but not enough to excite the fans - so there's no attatchment to him, no reason to allow him any margin for error, and no reason to praise him when he does well - because it's expected of him. He does a little bit of everything to a decent standard, and his work no doubt highly appreciated by his team mates and his manager.

Back to Boozy. He is a better player than Rankin, and would definately be a welcome addition to the team. However, if we sign him, and he goes straight into the first 11, Riordan doesn't play, and I can already hear the outcry.

..................Stack
..McCann.Hogg.Bamba.Hanlon
........... Cregg.McBride
Wotherspoon.Boozy.Zemmama
...................Nish

Och aye! I'll have a bit of THAT.

500miles
16-08-2009, 11:01 AM

You mean what he done once yesterday, and wasn't far away from scoring himself a beuty? This is an absolute myth. If he sees play open up infront of him, he's quite right to take the shot, and it would be a wasted chance otherwise.

Petrie's Tache
16-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Rankin was unfortunate yesterday as we always seemed to try and attack the left back - probably because Wotherspoon was having such a good game and costantly demanding the ball. I heard him get a lot of grief for nothing, and heard nothing when he done well to pick up the ball in central areas, release a cracking shot which whizzed just over the crossbar, or done well to keep the ball. Some fool behind me lost the plot with him for passing the ball back to his fullback when we were 2-1 up. Ball retention - that's how Yogi wants us to play, and its what I like to see, so I am a fan of Rankin's.

What Rankin isn't is fancy - and some Hibs fans can't handle that, everyone needs to be either a flair player, a hardman, or an underdog. Cregg isn't fancy, but his tackling is thunderous, and McBride came here as the guy who everyone wanted to prove the critics wrong. Rankin was just a signing, who would clearly do OK, but not enough to excite the fans - so there's no attatchment to him, no reason to allow him any margin for error, and no reason to praise him when he does well - because it's expected of him. He does a little bit of everything to a decent standard, and his work no doubt highly appreciated by his team mates and his manager.

Back to Boozy. He is a better player than Rankin, and would definately be a welcome addition to the team. However, if we sign him, and he goes straight into the first 11, Riordan doesn't play, and I can already hear the outcry.

..................Stack
...................Riordan

Edit:

TheBall'sRound
16-08-2009, 11:03 AM

..................Stack
...................Nish

No Deeks? :D

Ritchie
16-08-2009, 11:05 AM

no thanks, i'd rather have rankin....

500miles
16-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Edit:

Aye, at CF. He's not big enough, and doesn't have the power or pace. You need at least one of the 3 and Nish certainly has the height. Won plenty of flick ons yesterday, but Riordan was sitting far too deep, and to be quite honest was disappoiting for the whole 90 minutes. Did he once beat Jack Ross?

Scooter
16-08-2009, 11:08 AM

..................Stack
Zemmama.Boozy.Riordan
...................Benji

edited again

basehibby
16-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Think you'll find now that DVZ is out of the picture that Rankin is this years scapegoat where people give him abuse even although he puts in twice as much work as "those that shall not be abused".

I agree that Rankin is not the most talented player at the club but he was all over that pitch yesterday making himself available for a pass and I think works really well with Cregg and McBride.

If we get Boozy back we'll see a big difference in talent but a big drop in workrate in that position.

:top marksDon't know why some folk feel the need to have a scapegoat - but IMO those that acuse Rankin of "unseen work" must be attending ER blindfolded - he gets through a power of work every game and also carries a goal threat - fair enough he's not exactly possessed of silky skills but he's far better than some are giving him credit for.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh yeah indeedy..

Bad..

Rankins just gash he plays slightly better when in centre mid but weve got that area covered, well covered would hope he was to go with the rest of the mixu dynasty but as Yogi tried to sign him for Falkirk think hel be here for a while and unfortunately turn into the Hamilton,Brazil,Kerr mould of players doing the 'unseen' work

Has it conveniently escaped everyone's notice that Rankin made the run and, just when it looked like he'd lost it, slid in to cut the ball back for Wotherspoon to score.

He also had a rasping shot in the second half which went inches over.

That seems to be a fairly important contribution, no? :dunno:

500miles
16-08-2009, 11:14 AM
edited again

So Wotherspoon gets benched after a man of the match performance and Benji get's Nish's place despite still lacking the required physical presence, pace or power? Riordan and Benji can play in place of Zemmama, Wotherspoon and Boozy when they are injured, off form, or when we choose to go 4-4-2, but Nish is the guy who leads the line.

Riordan didn't play well enough yesterday, and Nish contributed more with flick ons and holding up he ball, in the first half especially.

The_Horde
16-08-2009, 11:20 AM
So Wotherspoon gets benched after a man of the match performance and Benji get's Nish's place despite still lacking the required physical presence, pace or power? Riordan and Benji can play in place of Zemmama, Wotherspoon and Boozy when they are injured, off form, or when we choose to go 4-4-2, but Nish is the guy who leads the line.

Riordan didn't play well enough yesterday, and Nish contributed more with flick ons and holding up he ball, in the first half especially.

Holding up the ball?

The only holding Nish did all game yesterday was his leg after he hit the deck time and time again.

Don't get me wrong i like Nish, but Riordan has more goals in him and i'd rather have someone a bit more agile/strong up there to partner Deeks rather than two strikers who aren't really going to get overly involved in play unless the ball comes into or around the box where Riordan is far more dangerous than Nish.

Good back up though, Benji or a new striker should play up top with Deeks.

H18sry
16-08-2009, 11:20 AM
]I'm convinced that Beuzelin, had he wanted it, could have got training facilities with Hibs. The fact that he chose to attach himself to Mowbray's apron strings was a fingers up to Hughes and a 'take me I'm your's' nod to Celtic.[/B] The ironic thing is that he is nowhere near good enough for a run of games for Celtic, and, frankly, is possibly not good or consistent enough for Hibs. Personally I could take him or leave him.

I have heard from a good source that Boozy was offered training facilities at East Main's but declined these due to the speculation and hassle that would come from it.:wink:

Scooter
16-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Yes. Although DW had a great game he is still very young and in my opinion he will get benched as soon as zouma is fit anyway. Benji done more in his time on the park than nish. He brought balls down and brought others into play is that not what a target man should do? And I don't know what pace bush has?

maturehibby
16-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Rankin is a necessity - Boozy a luxury

Judas Iscariot
16-08-2009, 11:26 AM
IMO we were screaming out for a Boozy type player yesterday, someone with a bit invention, flair and the ability to play a killer pass..

Cregg and McBride were excellent but lacked a bit invention and there wasn't much variation in our attacks..

Too often yesterday there was 3-4 needless passes to get the ball where it needed to be, whereas i think a more creative player could pick the pass out quicker. I'm not complaining about the ball retention as it was so much better to watch than last season's nonsense we were served up week in and week out..

With McBride and Cregg here now, they can do the "Donkey Work" for a Boozy type, allowing him to spray the passes and find the kiler ball instead of the somewhat repetetive play from yesterday..

As i said, no complaints as i love the passing game but feel we need the resoources to mix up the play and i don't think Rankin offers anything that the 2 ex Falkirk boys do..

GreenPJ
16-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Aye, at CF. He's not big enough, and doesn't have the power or pace. You need at least one of the 3 and Nish certainly has the height. Won plenty of flick ons yesterday, but Riordan was sitting far too deep, and to be quite honest was disappoiting for the whole 90 minutes. Did he once beat Jack Ross?

:agree: I don't think he is anywhere near sharp enough. Always on his heels, never retained the ball and did not have the pace to stay ahead of the full back even when he had a 2/3 yard start.

I don't know if he was carrying an injury or was just not fit enough but would suggest he needs to get fit or bench him.

500miles
16-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes. Although DW had a great game he is still very young and in my opinion he will get benched as soon as zouma is fit anyway. Benji done more in his time on the park than nish. He brought balls down and brought others into play is that not what a target man should do? And I don't know what pace bush has?

Nish doesn't have pace, he has height and stregnth. He may go over easy - but the reason is he is being fouled, and would rather take the freekick, some times ill-advisedly, I will admit. When Benji came on, we went to 3-4-3, so it's no suprise that they all looked better - they all had more support and St.Mirren couldn't just defend at 2-1 down. It's a thankless task being the big man up front - you constantly have the attention of two CH's, you often find yourself isolated, and therefore it's easy to drift out of games. However, when it is played correctly, it is highly influential, despite not getting the recognition of the fans. Benji buckle under this, not only because he doesn't have the physique, but he needs to be THE man getting all the applause. Nish has the mental fortitude, unselfishness and stregnth to take this role not allow it to overwhelm him.

I think if you watched the whole 90 minutes again, and concentrated on Nish, with the role he is being asked to play in mind, the assesment of his performance yesterday changes.

Judas Iscariot
16-08-2009, 11:32 AM
..................Stack
...................Nish

Team I'd go for if the supposed signings happen..

Stack

McCann Barr :pray: Bamba Murray

McBride Boozy :pray: Cregg

Zemamma

Stokes :pray: Deek

If no new faces...

Stack

McCann Hogg(only cos he'll not get dropped) Bamba Murray

McBride Cregg

Wotherspoon Zemamma Deek

JJ/Nish

Si_17
16-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Team I'd go for if the supposed signings happen..

Stack

McCann Barr :pray: Bamba Murray

McBride Boozy :pray: Cregg

Zemamma

Stokes :pray: Deek

If no new faces...

Stack

McCann Hogg(only cos he'll not get dropped) Bamba Murray

McBride Cregg

Wotherspoon Zemamma Deek

JJ/Nish

Aye, cos' we won't play our club captain, and we will match Stokes' ten grand a week contract right enough.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Nish doesn't have pace, he has height and stregnth. He may go over easy - but the reason is he is being fouled, and would rather take the freekick, some times ill-advisedly, I will admit. When Benji came on, we went to 3-4-3, so it's no suprise that they all looked better - they all had more support and St.Mirren couldn't just defend at 2-1 down. It's a thankless task being the big man up front - you constantly have the attention of two CH's, you often find yourself isolated, and therefore it's easy to drift out of games. However, when it is played correctly, it is highly influential, despite not getting the recognition of the fans. Benji buckle under this, not only because he doesn't have the physique, but he needs to be THE man getting all the applause. Nish has the mental fortitude, unselfishness and stregnth to take this role not allow it to overwhelm him.

I think if you watched the whole 90 minutes again, and concentrated on Nish, with the role he is being asked to play in mind, the assesment of his performance yesterday changes.

Very nicely put. :agree:

ArabHibee
16-08-2009, 11:49 AM

:agree: Totally agree. He was being marked by both of them yesterday and was being fouled quite a lot - which the referee chose to ignore. He does seem to go down quite a lot but I think if he stopped the writhing around on the ground like his foot's fallen off and just got up and on with it, people wouldn't be so harsh with him.

--------
16-08-2009, 12:10 PM

:agree: Nish worked very hard yesterday, and took a lot of stick from the St Mirren defence. When you're playing the role he was playing yesterday, you WILL take punishment for not a lot of obvious advantage, and you WILL be caught offside - that's the nature of the job. Colin isn't a McBride or a Baker, but he put in a good honest shift yesterday, and the space other players like Deek and Benji found later in the game was the product of his work earlier on.

The same could be said for John Rankin - he started slowly and took a while to get into the game, but his second half was excellent - he did a power of work and in fact came very close to scoring. So did big Colin.

What we needed to do, and what we should have been doing earlier, was holding the ball, making them chase, tiring them so that we could take advantahe in the last 20 minutes.

To many of our guys this is a new system after 18 months of 'punt and hope', but it's how football should be played. There was a link put up on Wednesday evening to the last 15 minutes of the Tunisia-Ivory Coast game, and that was how both those teams were playing. Even after the Ivory Coast had a man sent off, they continued to play that passing game. Bamba, btw, played the whole 90 at CB and to my eye looked very good indeed.

For much of his time at ER Boozy blew hot and cold - sometimes very good, other times totally ineffectual. I agree we should be looking for more quality in midfield, but I would rather we looked for someone younger, harder-working, and less inconsistent than Boozy.

Bringing back players like Ian Murray and Derek Riordan, players in their early-mid twenties is one thing. I'm not sure a guy pushing thirty, who's had two major knee injuries and who wasn't the most consistent even in his prime, is the way I want us to be going.

Celtic have a budget that allows them to indulge in players like Boozy. We don't.

H18sry
16-08-2009, 12:19 PM
:agree: Nish worked very hard yesterday, and took a lot of stick from the St Mirren defence. When you're playing the role he was playing yesterday, you WILL take punishment for not a lot of obvious advantage, and you WILL be caught offside - that's the nature of the job. Colin isn't a McBride or a Baker, but he put in a good honest shift yesterday, and the space other players like Deek and Benji found later in the game was the product of his work earlier on.

The same could be said for John Rankin - he started slowly and took a while to get into the game, but his second half was excellent - he did a power of work and in fact came very close to scoring. So did big Colin.

What we needed to do, and what we should have been doing earlier, was holding the ball, making them chase, tiring them so that we could take advantahe in the last 20 minutes.

To many of our guys this is a new system after 18 months of 'punt and hope', but it's how football should be played. There was a link put up on Wednesday evening to the last 15 minutes of the Tunisia-Ivory Coast game, and that was how both those teams were playing. Even after the Ivory Coast had a man sent off, they continued to play that passing game. Bamba, btw, played the whole 90 at CB and to my eye looked very good indeed.

For much of his time at ER Boozy blew hot and cold - sometimes very good, other times totally ineffectual. I agree we should be looking for more quality in midfield, but I would rather we looked for someone younger, harder-working, and less inconsistent than Boozy.

Bringing back players like Ian Murray and Derek Riordan, players in their early-mid twenties is one thing. I'm not sure a guy pushing thirty, who's had two major knee injuries and who wasn't the most consistent even in his prime, is the way I want us to be going.

Celtic have a budget that allows them to indulge in players like Boozy. We don't.

:top marks

500miles
16-08-2009, 12:37 PM

I disagree about Boozy. We have a lot of young guys coming through, and a guy like Boozy, who has experience, and a lot of intelligence would be a great influence on these youngsters. We have plenty of players who are instinctively and naturally good - Riordan, Zemmama and Bamba, but Boozy is a bit different. My favourite thing about Boozy is how he recieves the pass - a quick look over either shoulder to a)see how much space he has and b) (which is the part that not many players do) see where his team-mates are so he can make an instant pass without giving the opposition any warning. The skills Boozy has can be passed on and applied to any player.

I also think the idea that he is too often completely ineffectual has been overplayed somewhat. I always though he at least hassled the oppostion, and held on to possession when we were on top.

Tyler Durden
16-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Rankin is a necessity - Boozy a luxury

necessity
n 1: the condition of being essential or indispensable

You're joking right?

J-C
16-08-2009, 01:13 PM
We have Zouma and Murray to come back into the team, a midfield that played quite well yesterday, two young FB's who will only get better, where will Boozy fit in if not as a squad player. Do you think he'll come here for peanuts or Celtic for £5,000 just to sit on the bench, my monies on Celtic. We have a good number of players at the moment covering midfield, with Wotherspoon and Galbraith as wing men, it's cover up front and defence we should be looking at.