PDA

View Full Version : Maka Today

Gus Fring
15-08-2009, 07:54 PM
He had a couple of scary moments but i thought overall he was good, the part i wanna talk about was the end of the match.

He came over to the bottom of the south and shook the hand of every man woman and child that asked him. Not required at all and showed that hes obviously a player who likes being here
:thumbsup:

sesoim
15-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I hear Cliff Richard is a nice guy and gives a good handshake as well. Maybe we could sign him as backup?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but we need good players in our team. I feel sorry for Maka and truly wish he could have sorted the errors out, but we can't afford to risk playing him anymore. We'll never win anything with him in the team.

Hibster
15-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think we'd be able to meet Cliff Richard's wage demands anyway tbh

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I hear Cliff Richard is a nice guy and gives a good handshake as well. Maybe we could sign him as backup?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but we need good players in our team. I feel sorry for Maka and truly wish he could have sorted the errors out, but we can't afford to risk playing him anymore. We'll never win anything with him in the team.

I think you're right in that we shouldn't persist with a keeper who is more error-prone than the alternative. That might mean Stack getting a run as starter. It's whether there really is a problem though.

I suppose my point is that Maka has made errors, we've all seen them, but every keeper does.The good ones just make fewer. The question for me is whether we have become overly sensitive to keepers making mistakes as a consequence of Zibi and Brown? I suspect we might have.

Maka's got a good clean sheet record and has been part of a defence that has arguably carried the team in recent times. He's clearly been doing something right. And in the grand scheme of things, he's young and learning his way and hopefully improving and on a learning curve.

Given his stats and his age and his inexperience, I'm not sure I would expect better from him at this stage (although I do expect him to improve, or rather, I expect more consistency).

More importantly, I think his overall record is actually good and better than he's given credit for - his mistakes just seem to be magnified and seized on.

weststandhibby
15-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Now with Stack at the club we should see Maka improve. He is still a youngster in terms of goalkeeping and a couple more years of learning his trade as a number 2 will only improve him.

Our past couple of managers have placed too much faith in him and I think he has suffered from being pushed too soon....

Ferryhibby
16-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I dont think any of the defence totally trust him this was evident when jones was here now its moved to Hogg who had a go at him after the goal it was Maka fault wether the passback was strong or on his wrong foot he should still have been able to get it away from goal

CABBAGE & RIBS
16-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Tbh i can't remember Maka making a save today.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 12:06 AM
We miss Gordon Marshall allready.

oldbutdim
16-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I think it’s quite disgraceful that criticism can be handed out on a public forum when the guy did nothing wrong. One of the downsides of the internet I suppose.
When he started singing at Wimbledon just because it was raining, then that deserved death threats. But I don’t understand why we are having a go at him now.

EskbankHibby
16-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Goalkeeper is like any other position in that if you play well the jersey should be yours.

I think Maka was found wanting today which is a shame as i like him.

If Stack gets in and plays well the jersey is his, at least we have options.

The_Horde
16-08-2009, 03:19 AM

:greengrin

Newhaven
16-08-2009, 03:58 AM

But we dont know what he does in training so how can we miss him :confused:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 07:53 AM

:wink:

:devil:

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Well I've seen no improvement so I can only assume he's not doing much in training. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Well I've seen no improvement so I can only assume he's not doing much in training. :confused:

Marshall is the devil.:duck:

TornadoHibby
16-08-2009, 10:38 AM

He made a couple of good solid stops in the first half IIRC! :wink:

Agree he could have done better with the poor Hogg pass back when he realised he was under pressure to clear it even if he only kicked it over the East Stand giving away a throw in!

However, calmness under pressure comes with experience and he's getting that and will prove all his present doubters wrong IMO and go on to be a great keeper! :agree:

davemcbain

:top marks Exactly - how can you criticize him when he didn't have a save to make?

Seen in another thread him getting grief for the goal - he passed the ball to Hanlon who promptly lost it. Not a lot he could do from there.

Happy to dish it out when he makes a mistake, but it would be nice if folk waited for that event before nailing the lad.

ancient hibee
Marshall is the devil.:duck:
Irony is not a quality with which hibs netters are riddled.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Perhaps, perhaps not?

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm not bad. I hate doing shirts though.

Newhaven
16-08-2009, 10:55 AM

I think the only answer is to send all the keepers to common sense classes at Jewel and Esk or something :agree:

Si_17
16-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I think you're right in that we shouldn't persist with a keeper who is more error-prone than the alternative. That might mean Stack getting a run as starter. It's whether there really is a problem though.

I suppose my point is that Maka has made errors, we've all seen them, but every keeper does.The good ones just make fewer. The question for me is whether we have become overly sensitive to keepers making mistakes as a consequence of Zibi and Brown? I suspect we might have.

Maka's got a good clean sheet record and has been part of a defence that has arguably carried the team in recent times. He's clearly been doing something right. And in the grand scheme of things, he's young and learning his way and hopefully improving and on a learning curve.

Given his stats and his age and his inexperience, I'm not sure I would expect better from him at this stage (although I do expect him to improve, or rather, I expect more consistency).

More importantly, I think his overall record is actually good and better than he's given credit for - his mistakes just seem to be magnified and seized on.

This.:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I think the only answer is to send all the keepers to common sense classes at Jewel and Esk or something :agree:

:hilarious

Ritchie
16-08-2009, 11:01 AM
still like maka but want stack to be given a run as No.1

Mister P
16-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I only watched the highlights on Hi so can only give my opinion on that.

Maka is a bomb scare!!!!

I have been a fan of the big man since he came but now i think he just isnt ironing out the errors. Their goal was his fault IMHO.
He misread a simple passback which almost saw it into the net, he scrambled a bit to clear it only as far as our LB who was under pressure, the ball returned into the mix where Maka dropped it and then was way out of his goal and that saw a simple enough goal scored. That pass back should never have lead to that goal if it had been dealt with properly. bread and butter stuff for a GK.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-08-2009, 11:27 AM
The fact that Maka is a good guy is not really in doubt and has no impact on whether he should play or not. The St Mirren goal came from a catalouge of errors but if Maka does the basics after the strong pass back, and gets the ball safe, then that gives the defence an opportunity to organise and compose. Doing the basics is his weakness and it would be no surprise if Stack plays next week. But a season working with a new gk-coach may do wonders for Maka.

Johnny_hfc
16-08-2009, 06:47 PM
how can you criticize him when he didn't have a save to make?

Because he caused us a goal. He is a good shot stopper but he can't do the simple things right, and that seems to cost us points every season. Stack in next week.

Hibs90
16-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I only watched the highlights on Hi so can only give my opinion on that.

Maka is a bomb scare!!!!

I have been a fan of the big man since he came but now i think he just isnt ironing out the errors. Their goal was his fault IMHO.
He misread a simple passback which almost saw it into the net, he scrambled a bit to clear it only as far as our LB who was under pressure, the ball returned into the mix where Maka dropped it and then was way out of his goal and that saw a simple enough goal scored. That pass back should never have lead to that goal if it had been dealt with properly. bread and butter stuff for a GK.

Simple passback? As I said the pass from Hogg was shocking. Far too heavy and very inaccurate. If Hogg just done what he should have done and put the ball out it would never have happened.

--------
16-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Simple passback? As I said the pass from Hogg was shocking. Far too heavy and very inaccurate. If Hogg just done what he should have done and put the ball out it would never have happened.

At the time, I was expecting Hogg to put the ball out to give us time to organise to defend the throw-in. he might even have tried to play the ball off the St Mirren player to WIN the throw in. He was under pressure and should have kept it simple, IMO - put it out, gain time, re-group in defence.

The camera angle in the highlights doesn't show how bad the pass-back was. It was to the wrong side of the goalkeeper - he should have passed it to Maka's right, away from the goal. I think that's what Maka was expecting, and that's what wrong-footed him. And it was too heavy. As I've already said elsewhere, it was exactly the ball into the box that the Saints player would have played to put us in trouble if he had had the ball.

Maka's pass to Hanlon wasn't good, though Paul himself would have done better to hoof it out. Maka should have hoofed it out himself. And Paul's touch wasn't good - as the commentator says, he wanted too long on the ball.

THEN Maka decides to chase the ball all over the area - VERY bad idea.

Chris Hogg didn't have a very good day, IMO. Late on he allowed himself to be nutmegged on the edge of the box which could have led to an equaliser; he was very static at that point.

In the circs, I'd say that rather than go after Maka or Hogg or Hanlon or any two of them or all three I'd put it down to a bad 90 seconds and credit the team for not letting it rattle them. They came back very well, and we won the game in the end, and could have had a few more goals. Falkirk away is another day....

(((Fergus)))
16-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Hogg is just a youngster too - and it shows.

--------
16-08-2009, 08:11 PM

He's 24, Maka's 23.

They should both be growing out of this sort of stuff.

But we're playing a new system after three and a half years of chopping and changing and all sorts of upset.

And it shows.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 08:13 PM

At 24 he should be in his prime.

But we're playing a new system after three and a half years of chopping and changing and all sorts of upset.

And it shows.

What's the new system? A goalie and 4 in defence? Doesn't seem that new to me.

TheBall'sRound
16-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think the pass back was Maka's fault at all - keepers aren't known for their close control under pressure and he had good intentions passing to Hanlon, even if he had his back to the play.

Where Maka is at fault is in his "dealing" of the cross. If you go at the ball with one hand you MUST punch it - there is no other way of guaranteeing that it will land safely and even then it's a lottery.

It was a really weak bit of goalkeeping at the end of a catalogue of small errors which unfortunately resulted in a stupid goal. You either come and catch it, stay on your line or punch it. You DON'T meekly slap it down where there is likely to be an opposition player under it.

This isn't an isolated incident with Maka and he doesn't seem to be improving in this particular aspect of his game at all.

sadtom
16-08-2009, 09:08 PM

I suggest you watch the highlights again, nowhere near as bad as you suggest. Maka was way to casual trying to control the ball with the outside of his foot. Granted there was other mistakes after that (especially Hanlon turning into the man) but Maka should have dealt with Hogg's pass back with ease. If Hogg has put the ball out he would have been lambasted for not playing a simple ball back to the keeper.

Hibs90
16-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I suggest you watch the highlights again, nowhere near as bad as you suggest. Maka was way to casual trying to control the ball with the outside of his foot. Granted there was other mistakes after that (especially Hanlon turning into the man) but Maka should have dealt with Hogg's pass back with ease. If Hogg has put the ball out he would have been lambasted for not playing a simple ball back to the keeper.

:bye:

I've watched the highlights and I was directly in line with Hogg when he played the pass and my opinion is still the same, it was a shocker. It was also played towards the goal and therefore towards Maka's weak foot. I agree he could have dealt with it better though. I wouldn't have lambasted him if he just put it out.

sadtom
16-08-2009, 09:38 PM

I've watched the highlights and I was directly in line with Hogg when he played the pass and my opinion is still the same, it was a shocker. It was also played towards the goal and therefore towards Maka's weak foot. I agree he could have dealt with it better though. I wouldn't have lambasted him if he just put it out.

:bye: To you too. Over hit perhaps, 'shocking and very inaccurate' my hairy erchie. Should have been easlily dealt with.
Maka has the physical tools to be a good keeper. He's a nice big guy and its part of his character to be laid back and its quite endearing off the park but bloody infuriating on it.
Its his rather lacksidasical approach and demeanor that is going to prevent him reaching his potential and that moment yesterday was a prime example.
He needs to learn to be more alert and focused on the park.

Allant1981
16-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Isnt Maka left footed? If he is then that was an ideal ball to give him back. Granted it was a bit on the heavy side but a left footer should have no problems kicking that. The pass to Hanlon was terrible. Maka is not a keeper that IMO should be playing first team football in the premier league each week and if Stack is fit and Hughes thinks he is better then I say get him in

Hibs90
16-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Isnt Maka left footed? If he is then that was an ideal ball to give him back. Granted it was a bit on the heavy side but a left footer should have no problems kicking that. The pass to Hanlon was terrible. Maka is not a keeper that IMO should be playing first team football in the premier league each week and if Stack is fit and Hughes thinks he is better then I say get him in

Pretty sure hes right footed.

MacBean
16-08-2009, 09:51 PM
regardless if Maka has a couple of good saves in a game, whenever he comes off his line at a set piece i think everyone sh*ts themselves a little bit.
I can never be fully confident in him, however i REALLY want him to become a great goalkeeper and cut out the cr*p!

I think yogi will knock some sense into him, given he knocked him round the ear yesterday!

Allant1981
16-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure hes right footed.

Aye you might be right. TBH the pass back was heavy but it should have been cleared a lot better than it was. Even after the first touch by Maka he could have still launched it out the park if he thought his kick wasnt going far

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 07:14 AM

His performance against Bolton would beg to differ. I for one believe Hanlon was most to blame for the first goal. He must of thought he had more time and don't forget maka was having to run around his box like a headless chicken because no one else was closing down there strikers even though we had about 4 defenders in or around the box. I think people are far to quick to judge maka. Most Hibs fans would take Pepe Reina in a flash and you telling me hes never made a mistake? Maka is still young and has plenty of learning to do and plenty of mistakes to make. From those mistakes there will come a great keeper who one day we'll be kicking ourselves for slating so much at such a young age.

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Did anyone on this forum actually see the Bolton game? I know it was one game but he has definitely improved. If Hogg or Hanlon had put the ball into row Z in the first place we wouldn't even be having this thread. Out of the 3-4 players involved maka is least to blame.

highlights here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8204332.stm

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 07:24 AM
:agree:

Tollhouse Hibee
17-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Maka never collected one cross ball on saturday, never once played as an auxilliary sweeper which was required on 2 or 3 occassions. he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

Bring on Stack.

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Has anyone seen stack play yet? for Hibs or who ever else he played for.

RIP
17-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Maka's errors are borne out of an overly relaxed attitude and sloppy judgement rather than an lack of skill

The previous gookeeping coach couldn't drum this out of him - fingers crossed he get's his bollocks chewed in training this week

Hogg and Hanlon too

As for Stack....is he really one to pin our hopes on?

Captain Trips
17-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Far from being an ideal passback Maka's effort to kick it did seem too casual, there was no panic as it came to him and his effort at getting it was lazy, I think he thought was easy take. Then we have more errors from Hanlon and then his decision making to come out for cross.

Maka needs to be far more focused on the simple things, Hoggs pass was not best but should have been dealt with by a pro.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Maka is still young and has plenty of learning to do and plenty of mistakes to make. From those mistakes there will come a great keeper who one day we'll be kicking ourselves for slating so much at such a young age.

Let him make them in the reserves then not every 2 or 3 weeks in the 1st team. Simon Brown made less mistakes than Maka and he was hounded out - and all because he was a couple of years older than Maka is now?!

Has anyone seen stack play yet? for Hibs or who ever else he played for.

Not yet - hopefully we'll see him on Saturday though.

Don't know - he's not had a chance to show us yet.

Captain Trips
17-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Let him make them in the reserves then not every 2 or 3 weeks in the 1st team. Simon Brown made less mistakes than Maka and he was hounded out - and all because he was a couple of years older than Maka is now?!

Not yet - hopefully we'll see him on Saturday though.

Don't know - he's not had a chance to show us yet.

I would have to say that makes sense, he is learning and IMO Hibs are a big enough club to not be going through the process of making Maka a keeper in the first team, bear in mind these mistakes will only be worth it if he becomes a very good goalie and when/if he does we will probably have sold him if he showed ability.

Golden Bear
17-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I would have to say that makes sense, he is learning and IMO Hibs are a big enough club to not be going through the process of making Maka a keeper in the first team, bear in mind these mistakes will only be worth it if he becomes a very good goalie and when/if he does we will probably have sold him if he showed ability.

Sorry --------- but it's time Maka was ditched for good. He never has been good enough and never will be good enough.

He's had more than his fairshare of chances yet persists in making the most basic of errors. In fact I'd got so far as to say he's a total liability and the fact that he's a big decent guy is totally incidental. Give me an obnoxious character that's a competent goalkeeper anyday!

khib70
17-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Did anyone on this forum actually see the Bolton game? I know it was one game but he has definitely improved. If Hogg or Hanlon had put the ball into row Z in the first place we wouldn't even be having this thread. Out of the 3-4 players involved maka is least to blame.

Was at the game and have now watched the highlights and you're 100 per cent right. Hanlon is easily the most culpable for the goal, and Maka should never have been put in the position of having to clear a cross in the first place.

Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good Maka bashing session, eh? Funny how noone has seen Stack play, yet he's turned into Lev Yashin overnight:rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Was at the game and have now watched the highlights and you're 100 per cent right. Hanlon is easily the most culpable for the goal, and Maka should never have been put in the position of having to clear a cross in the first place.

Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good Maka bashing session, eh? Funny how noone has seen Stack play, yet he's turned into Lev Yashin overnight:rolleyes:

The defence of Maka is incredible. He chucks one in and everyone looks for someone else to blame – the ref, Hogg, Hanlon - whoever else that was within 10 yards basically.

Noone’s said Stak’s Lev Yashin :rolleyes:– there’s a few people concerned that we have Simon Brown II on our hands.

Captain Trips
17-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Ok Hanlon made a bad error I am certainly not saying he didnt, forget the Hanlon error and the passback which may/may not be Hoggs fault, we then move onto a cross into box, how would you say he dealt with that?

The goal was the fault of both Hanlon and Maka, Hanlon got caught out badly but all that did was lead to a cross, it was still preventable at this stage.

bingo70
17-08-2009, 09:28 AM
The defence of Maka is incredible. He chucks one in and everyone looks for someone else to blame – the ref, Hogg, Hanlon - whoever else that was within 10 yards basically.

Noone’s said Stak’s Lev Yashin :rolleyes:– there’s a few people concerned that we have Simon Brown II on our hands.

The argument for the people who always stick up for Maka would have a lot more credibility if every now and again they admitted that he might just be to blame for the occasional goal.

Hanlon should have dealt with it better so he's got to share the responsibility but to suggest Maka is blameless as it was down to Hoggs back pass is ridiculous, if he was concentrating and kept his eye on the ball we wouldn't have conceded a goal, that simple IMO.

Would be interested to compare how many goals Si Brown or Zibbi cost us compared to Maka.

Golden Bear
17-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Last season there was an immediate and very noticeable difference in the entire defence when the Monk was in goals.

Concentration, communication & all round professionalism are essential attributes of a good goalkeeper ------- qualities which sadly Maka does not possess.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Last season there was an immediate and very noticeable difference in the entire defence when the Monk was in goals.

Concentration, communication & all round professionalism are essential attributes of a good goalkeeper ------- qualities which sadly Maka does not possess.

:agree: No doubt about it. I remember texting my mates saying this during the Dundee United game (2-2 up there).

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 10:01 AM
The pass from captain Hogg was crap, Maka delt with it by giving a bad ball to hanlon, who then turned into the on coming player and lost it. 3 stupid mistakes. Why Hogg did not give it wide of the goal to Maka's right foot is anyones guess. Why Maka did not put his foot through the ball is obviously Marshalls fault.:wink: And why Hanlon turned into the on coming player i have no idea. IMHO Hogg and hanlon share most of the blame, but all 3 took the wrong decisions which resulted in a terrible goal to lose.:boo hoo:

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 10:02 AM
:agree: No doubt about it. I remember texting my mates saying this during the Dundee United game (2-2 up there).

Both scored by Colin Nish. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Both scored by Colin Nish. :wink:

:agree: What a player he was!

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It's maybe over reacting right enough.
What game are you referring to where Maka "chucks one in" ?

Oh, and when you mention Hogg and Hanlon, that'd be the "defenders" Couldn't be they had any part to play right enough.

It's good that no other player makes a mistake throughout the game, if we can just sort out the goal keeping position.

Excluding Saturday (the 1st competitive game of the season), the last time was against Aberdeen in May (the last competitive game of last season).

I’m not saying that it was a great back-pass but he had plenty time to deal with it and to just “shovel sh*te” to Hanlon is not on. I think we all know everyone makes mistakes (including myself believe it or not :wink:) but when a keeper makes them it’s more glaringly obvious and generally costly to the team. As we keep finding out.

bingo70
17-08-2009, 10:20 AM
It's maybe over reacting right enough.
What game are you referring to where Maka "chucks one in" ?

Oh, and when you mention Hogg and Hanlon, that'd be the "defenders" Couldn't be they had any part to play right enough.

It's good that no other player makes a mistake throughout the game, if we can just sort out the goal keeping position.

He's cost us goals in the last 2 competitive games for starters :wink:

Don't think anyone would argue that Hanlon shouldn't have done better, it's the point blank refusal of some on this board to ever criticise Maka and always lay the blame at someone elses door no matter what he does wrong thats irritating IMO.

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 10:21 AM

The argument for the people who always stick up for Maka would have a lot more credibility if every now and again they admitted that he might just be to blame for the occasional goal.

Hanlon should have dealt with it better so he's got to share the responsibility but to suggest Maka is blameless as it was down to Hoggs back pass is ridiculous, if he was concentrating and kept his eye on the ball we wouldn't have conceded a goal, that simple IMO.

Would be interested to compare how many goals Si Brown or Zibbi cost us compared to Maka.

Im a strong defender of maka and yes i agree he has been solely to blame for a lot of the stupid goals we have conceded, but in saying that he is no more to blame than the rest of the balls that are given a way and loose passes made by the the other 10 players on the pitch. I just get the feeling if a player such as Riordan was directly to blame for a goal conceded he wouldn't get half as bad a time as maka does for a mistake that was only partly his fault.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Riordan was directly to blame for a goal conceded he wouldn't get half as bad a time as maka does for a mistake that was only partly his fault.

When it happens we can discuss it. Until then we'll have to maka do :wink:with those that are costing us goals. :greengrin

Mikeystewart
17-08-2009, 10:27 AM
When it happens we can discuss it. Until then we'll have to maka do :wink:with those that are costing us goals. :greengrin

That was very selective quoting you missed out the " if " :greengrin

Seany HFC 7-0
17-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Hes not good enough. Sick of this he will grow into a good keeper, needs confidence pish! Give Stack a chance next game. Cant be any worse! Sorry for the rant but for me he is too shakey in goals and im never confident with him between the sticks!

Jack
17-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Hogg put in a pass back, the worst pass back I’ve seen for a while, which apart from the following the goal, was the closest St Mirren got to a goal. Maka chased and hit a reasonable pass to Hanlon who all but fell over his own feet. Each one of them had the opportunity to clear the stands with the ball. Meanwhile other players, 8 Hibs players in the box, defending chase shadows while Maka is left to ball chase.

And its all Makas fault, he’s crap, he’ll never be a keeper. Have a bloody word with yourselves.

We have a strike force because goals will always be conceded, some better than others. I always thought the game was about scoring more than the opposition which we did.

khib70
17-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Hogg put in a pass back, the worst pass back I’ve seen for a while, which apart from the following the goal, was the closest St Mirren got to a goal. Maka chased and hit a reasonable pass to Hanlon who all but fell over his own feet. Each one of them had the opportunity to clear the stands with the ball. Meanwhile other players, 8 Hibs players in the box, defending chase shadows while Maka is left to ball chase.

And its all Makas fault, he’s crap, he’ll never be a keeper. Have a bloody word with yourselves.

We have a strike force because goals will always be conceded, some better than others. I always thought the game was about scoring more than the opposition which we did.
:agree:And yet there are people accusing Maka of "chucking one in". On their planet, we wouldn't need to go to the pictures. A goalkeeper is entitled to some protection from his defence, not loopy back passes and visionless fumbling. I'm a big fan of Hogg, but his clumsiness initiated the whole sequence and it's ludicrous to heap all the blame on Maka.

Chuckie
17-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Maka is a pansy who seems afraid of physical contact...

He had chances to deal with that situation and took none of them...

When the ball gets chipped over him and he fumbles it (again and again and again), he should be throwing his whole body at the ball and right in to the attackers feet where the ball lands. He just doesn't have the courage.

Stack please.

Bring back McNeil.

Bring back David Grof.

Bring back Zibi.

BigKev
17-08-2009, 12:34 PM

A player who was facing his own goal with a player closing him down is a reasonable pass :confused: Are you Mixu in disguise??

Maka continues to be a liability. At 6'6" he should be collecting near enough every cross ball but rarely ventures off his line.

His handling is suspect, positioning questionable and kicking erratic.

Punt him in the reserves and when he can do the basics right give him another chance which quite frankly imo he doesn't deserve.

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 12:40 PM
He made a couple of good solid stops in the first half IIRC! :wink:

Agree he could have done better with the poor Hogg pass back when he realised he was under pressure to clear it even if he only kicked it over the East Stand giving away a throw in!

However, calmness under pressure comes with experience and he's getting that and will prove all his present doubters wrong IMO and go on to be a great keeper! :agree:

As much as I like Makalamby from what I see of his personality, the following is obvious to anyone who has watched his performances over 2 seasons.

Makalamby is a walking liability !! His concentration is non existent at times, he looks scared of opponents and the ball at times, his positioning is poor, he doesnt command his area well enough at set pieces, his communication with his defence is poor,he regularly makes schoolboy errors. His only plus point is his shot stopping but that isn't nearly enough to be a first choice keeper for an spl side and definetly not a team with top 4 aspirations.

A lot of people seem to be adament that he will be a great keeper in a few years time,but we as a club cannot afford to give a keeper 5 years to prove himself to be a good at this level on the hope he turns the corner,
and I dont see any evidence of this happening and I certainly dont think he has improved much in his 2 years at the club.

Experience doesnt guarentee anything either as some people seem to think, I dont remember Gordon, Mcgregor, Smith or a whole host of other good SPL goalies making the same basic errors of Makalamby, when they were in their first couple of seasons at SPL level.

I think he should be kept as back up until we have a replacement lined up.

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 12:47 PM
:agree:And yet there are people accusing Maka of "chucking one in". On their planet, we wouldn't need to go to the pictures. A goalkeeper is entitled to some protection from his defence, not loopy back passes and visionless fumbling. I'm a big fan of Hogg, but his clumsiness initiated the whole sequence and it's ludicrous to heap all the blame on Maka.

Was Hogg to blame at Aberdeen last season? Or Tynecastle the season before? or with any of Makas large brochure of errors, or his countless number of petty flaps at crosses?

Wether you choose to look at saturday or not is trivial in my opinion, there is a 2 year period to judge the guy on!

Fwiw, I think our support has been very forgiving with the big man, and he has had many chances, however the same things keep cropping up, enough is enough..

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Maka's errors are borne out of an overly relaxed attitude and sloppy judgement rather than an lack of skill

The previous gookeeping coach couldn't drum this out of him - fingers crossed he get's his bollocks chewed in training this week

Hogg and Hanlon too

Time will tell mate.. Certainly dont think Mak is !

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Was Hogg to blame at Aberdeen last season? Or Tynecastle the season before? or with any of Makas large brochure of errors, or his countless number of petty flaps at crosses?

Wether you choose to look at saturday or not is trivial in my opinion, there is a 2 year period to judge the guy on!

Fwiw, I think our support has been very forgiving with the big man, and he has had many chances, however the same things keep cropping up, enough is enough..

According to some:

Aberdeen: fault of the ref for not giving a free-kick or Miller for standing there.
Hearts: Velicka (I think) was standing too close to him when the header came in.

There's some incredible buck passing going on this thread. Let's look at the common denominator.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 12:55 PM
According to some:

Aberdeen: fault of the ref for not giving a free-kick or Miller for standing there.
Hearts: Velicka (I think) was standing too close to him when the header came in.

There's some incredible buck passing going on this thread. Let's look at the common denominator.

You are forgetting Gordon Marshall contribution.:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Not forgetting - just assumed that was a given. :greengrin

Jack
17-08-2009, 01:00 PM
A player who was facing his own goal with a player closing him down is a reasonable pass :confused: Are you Mixu in disguise??

Maka continues to be a liability. At 6'6" he should be collecting near enough every cross ball but rarely ventures off his line.

Punt him in the reserves and when he can do the basics right give him another chance which quite frankly imo he doesn't deserve.

I'm not going to blame Hanlon for it but it can be clearly seen from the BBC highlights he is either pointing for Maka to boot it out the ground or, given he doesn’t look too surprised receive it, to where Maka kicked the ball to him.

Hanlon did get two touches of the ball, I might suggest normally enough for Hanlon to control and go past a player, the second went to his blind side where the SM player was, by a 50/50 chance, running in and SM player dispossesses him.

The rest is history, most obviously Makas fault.

With such a deep knowledge of the game are you José Mourinho in disguise, or perhaps hose B?

zlatan
17-08-2009, 01:05 PM

I think we all get the joke now.

BigKev
17-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not going to blame Hanlon for it but it can be clearly seen from the BBC highlights he is either pointing for Maka to boot it out the ground or, given he doesn’t look too surprised receive it, to where Maka kicked the ball to him.

Hanlon did get two touches of the ball, I might suggest normally enough for Hanlon to control and go past a player, the second went to his blind side where the SM player was, by a 50/50 chance, running in and SM player dispossesses him.

The rest is history, most obviously Makas fault.

With such a deep knowledge of the game are you José Mourinho in disguise, or perhaps hose B?

Very witty.

Answer one question - with Maka facing the play should he have seen the Saints player and booted the ball out?

It doesn't take Jose Mourinho to work that out....

Seany HFC 7-0
17-08-2009, 01:07 PM

:agree: Agree 100% mate. Im willing him top do well but im afraid he is just not up to it. A Liability

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I think we all get the joke now.

Well laugh then.

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 01:11 PM
According to some:

Exactly, I actually thought their keeper looked really good..

zlatan
17-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Well laugh then.

I did the first 5 times you made it :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
17-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Great post..

Everybodies hearts are in their mouths when he comes plundering off his line for a cross or to shut someone down..

I can only imagine the rest of the team feel the same way..

ALWAYS an accident waiting to happen IMO!!

Maybe one day he'll be a top class keeper but we cant go another season waiting for this to happen..

We need someone that can do the basics competently enough and not throw a clanger every few games..

If Yogi has been chasing Stack for a while, i'm happy with that! He signed some great keepers for Falkirk so his track record speaks for itself in that department..

--------
17-08-2009, 01:19 PM
The pass from captain Hogg was crap, Maka delt with it by giving a bad ball to hanlon, who then turned into the on coming player and lost it. 3 stupid mistakes. Why Hogg did not give it wide of the goal to Maka's right foot is anyones guess. Why Maka did not put his foot through the ball is obviously Marshalls fault.:wink: And why Hanlon turned into the on coming player i have no idea. IMHO Hogg and hanlon share most of the blame, but all 3 took the wrong decisions which resulted in a terrible goal to lose.:boo hoo:

That's a fair assessment IMO. :agree:

--------
17-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Exactly, I actually thought their keeper looked really good..

You're OK with a high proportion of his clearances and goal-kicks going straight into touch, then?

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 01:25 PM
You're OK with a high proportion of his clearances and goal-kicks going straight into touch, then?

Maybe he's just happy that the clearance was being made in the 1st instance. :wink:

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Well i would far rather that than him kicking balls off opposition strikers and in to the net, or dropping crosses for tap ins..

Thought the opposition goalie was commanding and a good shot stopper..

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 01:27 PM
It was an appalling goal to lose. Hogg's passback was poor however no way on this earth that Maka shouldnt have been able to deal with it and then instead of booting it out passes it to Hanlon with a Saints player closing in on him. Maka was all over the shop at a couple of corners near the end, misjudging the flight. I think we need a confident goalie who can organise and keep the defenders on their toes especially the lackadasical Hogg, these seem to be traits that Stack has and IMO he should come in on Saturday.

Jack
17-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Very witty.

Answer one question - with Maka facing the play should he have seen the Saints player and booted the ball out?

It doesn't take Jose Mourinho to work that out....

Cheers :wink:

Maka wasn’t facing play, he was chasing the ball across his goal line. There’s a guy closing him down as he looks up and he is looking if anything to the East Stand where Hanlons pointing and giving him an out ball, the SM player who took it off him was coming in like a train along the 18 yard line (ish).

TBH while the 3 named Hibs players all played their part in the error and the other 5 who were around at the time were culpable I think more credit should be given to the SM players for chasing and harrying the Hibs defence forcing not one but a catalogue of errors and the boy coming in late, not being picked up, and scoring with a well placed shot.

If it had been at the other end I don’t think anyone here would be going on about how crap their keeper was but the way we dominated them and forced the errors during that play.

Seany HFC 7-0
17-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Cheers :wink:

Maka wasn’t facing play, he was chasing the ball across his goal line. There’s a guy closing him down as he looks up and he is looking if anything to the East Stand where Hanlons pointing and giving him an out ball, the SM player who took it off him was coming in like a train along the 18 yard line (ish).

TBH while the 3 named Hibs players all played their part in the error and the other 5 who were around at the time were culpable I think more credit should be given to the SM players for chasing and harrying the Hibs defence forcing not one but a catalogue of errors and the boy coming in late, not being picked up, and scoring with a well placed shot.

If it had been at the other end I don’t think anyone here would be going on about how crap their keeper was but the way we dominated them and forced the errors during that play.

If it had happened at the other end we would be saying, Wow! thats normally something our keeper would do! :wink::agree:

Septimus
17-08-2009, 02:24 PM
This cult status which a proportion of the Hibs support seem to have given to Maka is worrying. If and when Stack does replace him he will be crucified when he makes his first mistake and, of course, he will make mistakes.

The poster who identified a sea change in the Hibs team when Szamo came in last season is right. A confident and reasonably efficient goalkeeper is an absolute must if we are to make any progress at all.

The sooner it happens the faster.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 02:32 PM
This cult status which a proportion of the Hibs support seem to have given to Maka is worrying. If and when Stack does replace him he will be crucified when he makes his first mistake and, of course, he will make mistakes.

The sooner it happens the faster.

You're bang on. I said the exact same thing earlier.

surreyhibbie
17-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Never Hibs class!

Barney McGrew
17-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I suggest you watch the highlights again, nowhere near as bad as you suggest

First rule when you are playing the ball back to the keeper from that position is not to play it across the goal at all, never mind at that pace to Makalambay's wrong foot (his non-kicking foot)

There's that many bumps and divots it could quite easily bounce into the net.

lucky
17-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Hogg and Makka and Hanlon were at fault on Saturday. But Makka has to shoulder most of the blame for 3 mistakes in the lead up to the goal.

He is a decent shot stopper however he can not concentrate for the full 90 minutes. I have never seen Stack play but all I am looking for is for him to be journeyman goalie. Wont make spectacular save but wont make silly mistakes just want him to be steady. If he plays like that then the back four will calm down.

As for Hogg he has made several mistakes which have lead to goals but usually tries hard and does okay most games. but I don't think he is a center-half

Hibs Spain
17-08-2009, 03:11 PM
First rule when you are playing the ball back to the keeper from that position is not to play it across the goal at all, never mind at that pace to Makalambay's wrong foot (his non-kicking foot)

There's that many bumps and divots it could quite easily bounce into the net.It was a terrible pass back.. No wonder it took Maka by surprise. He did however recover the situation and under pressure by this time played an inch perfect ball to Hanlon (who asked for it). Hanlon then probably realising he hadn't the skill to pass his way out of the situation should have have kicked it into touch.When the resultant cross came over Maka miraculously got a hand to it at a height of about 10ft ... He then tried to chase the ball down as no one else was and that was his only misjudgment :agree: I would wager he makes less mistakes than any other goalie in our league. It's just that he gets jumped on every time he does misjudge something.How about their goalie when Nish's header hit the bar from close in? Why wasn't Gallacher coming for that? What was he doing?Running across his goal the wrong way.But he got away with it. If Nish had scored would Gallacher have been a clown?:confused:

--------
17-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe he's just happy that the clearance was being made in the 1st instance. :wink:

That's OK for clearances from open play, under pressure. But from hand, or from a goal-kick, putting the ball out just hands possession back to the opposition. Once or twice may be mistakes. Doing it as often as he did on Saturday is a weakness.

His work in the box was good, but in view of the fact that his team was a man short and really needed to keep the ball, giving it away like that wasn't the best idea.

--------
17-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Well i would far rather that than him kicking balls off opposition strikers and in to the net, or dropping crosses for tap ins..

Thought the opposition goalie was commanding and a good shot stopper..

He was a good shot-stopper - he had plenty of opportunity to shine in the second half. I'm not quite so sure about the 'commanding' bit, though.

And if our keeper was putting the ball straight out from hand or from dead-ball situations as often as he did, someone would be on here girning.

--------
17-08-2009, 03:46 PM
What's the new system? A goalie and 4 in defence? Doesn't seem that new to me.

Last time I saw us play St Mirren at ER we were lofting it up the park without much concern as to whether there was anyone up there to receive it. Playing hoofball a la mode du Mixu P.

Hughes clearly expects the team to pass the ball and hold possession, even from the back.

Mind you, that does mean that when one player's under pressure with the ball, others have to make themselves available and offer him a safe place to pass to. There were times when that didn't happen on Saturday, but it takes time to adapt, especially when a biggish section of the crowd are baying at them to punt it up the park.

Stevie Reid
17-08-2009, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Leith Green;2133278]Experience doesnt guarentee anything either as some people seem to think, I dont remember Gordon, Mcgregor, Smith or a whole host of other good SPL goalies making the same basic errors of Makalamby, when they were in their first couple of seasons at SPL level.
QUOTE]

Excellent point. I've stood up for Maka in the past and think he's worth keeping as back up, but Stack has to be in goals on Saturday. Our new improved system and passing game will result in very little if we give away goals as cheap as Saturday. Coupled with the goal against Aberdeen at the end of last season, that is two goals out of nothing he has cost us, two games running.

Yes Hogg's backpass was poor, and Hanlon could definitely have done better but Maka was most culpable in the whole sorry affair. The way he dealt with the passback was awful, and the pass to Hanlon ridiculous. He should have got straight back on his line as well, and not run around like a headless chicken.

It's a disgrace to read the comments of some who are happy to defend a player who has undoubtedly cost us goals in the past, yet are simultaneously are happy to heap blame on an 18 year full back who has barely started his career. I would like nothing more than Maka to turn out to be a great keeper for Hibs, but it's ludicrous to suggest that we should have to sit through many more glaring errors before he magically turns into a super keeper.

He has all the physical attributes to be a very good goalkeeper, but the same things that made him shaky and let him down when he first arrived, are still present today, 2 years later. The way Hughes spoke about Stack when he signed him suggested that he fancied him as No.1. Maka will have no complaints if he is dropped to the bench on Saturday - he's given Yogi every reason to do so.

Golden Bear
17-08-2009, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Leith Green;2133278]Experience doesnt guarentee anything either as some people seem to think, I dont remember Gordon, Mcgregor, Smith or a whole host of other good SPL goalies making the same basic errors of Makalamby, when they were in their first couple of seasons at SPL level.
QUOTE]

Excellent point. I've stood up for Maka in the past and think he's worth keeping as back up, but Stack has to be in goals on Saturday. Our new improved system and passing game will result in very little if we give away goals as cheap as Saturday. Coupled with the goal against Aberdeen at the end of last season, that is two goals out of nothing he has cost us, two games running.

Yes Hogg's backpass was poor, and Hanlon could definitely have done better but Maka was most culpable in the whole sorry affair. The way he dealt with the passback was awful, and the pass to Hanlon ridiculous. He should have got straight back on his line as well, and not run around like a headless chicken.

It's a disgrace to read the comments of some who are happy to defend a player who has undoubtedly cost us goals in the past, yet are simultaneously are happy to heap blame on an 18 year full back who has barely started his career. I would like nothing more than Maka to turn out to be a great keeper for Hibs, but it's ludicrous to suggest that we should have to sit through many more glaring errors before he magically turns into a super keeper.

He has all the physical attributes to be a very good goalkeeper, but the same things that made him shaky and let him down when he first arrived, are still present today, 2 years later. The way Hughes spoke about Stack when he signed him suggested that he fancied him as No.1. Maka will have no complaints if he is dropped to the bench on Saturday - he's given Yogi every reason to do so.

Excellent.

--------
17-08-2009, 04:08 PM
QUOTE]

Yes Hogg's backpass was poor, and Hanlon could perhaps have done better but Maka was most culpable in the whole sorry affair. The way he dealt with the passback was awful, and the pass to Hanlon ridiculous. Hanlon is clearly instructing him to launch it out the park, not screaming for a pass. The post about Maka giving him an 'inch perfect pass' is laughable.

The only reason I mentioned either Hogg or Hanlon was because having seen the whole sorry episode I don't agree with those who consider Makalambay to be the only guilty player in this.

I don't actually blame Hanlon at all, really. The episode was triggered by a bad pass-back, one that put Maka under pressure and in trouble. That said, he should have dealt with it much more effectively - by simply clearing his lines up the field or into one of the stands. (West or East - whatever. Either would have done.) By the time the ball reached Paul, the situation was already well out of control.

But I still say it would have been best for Chris to have cleared the ball decisively himself, rather than passing back into his own goalmouth.

Where I do agree is about what happened after the ball skidded across the goalmouth. We'd got away with it at that point. THAT was the point to clear the ball upfield (preferably) or out. Maka failed to do so, but I understand that Yogi's instructions are to play the ball upfield in short-passing movements rather than hoofing it like we were doing under MP. It looked as if all the players involved here were trying to do that. As I've already said, what really put the brass hat on things was maka deciding to go chasing the ball all over the 18-yard box. Red mist time, I agree. Again, I agree.

IMO it makes sense for a new manager to give ALL the players a clean sheet and a fresh start at the beginning of his first season. On that basis, Yogi may very well play Maka next week. Or he may not, depending on how Maka and Graham Stack perform in training.

Maka wasn't the only Hibs player to make mistakes on Saturday, but I really don't want to defend him by attacking someone else.

It's very early in the season, and we DID win the game, after all.

TheBall'sRound
17-08-2009, 04:57 PM
It was a terrible pass back.. No wonder it took Maka by surprise. He did however recover the situation and under pressure by this time played an inch perfect ball to Hanlon (who asked for it). Hanlon then probably realising he hadn't the skill to pass his way out of the situation should have have kicked it into touch.When the resultant cross came over Maka miraculously got a hand to it* at a height of about 10ft ... He then tried to chase the ball down as no one else was and that was his only misjudgment :agree: I would wager he makes less mistakes than any other goalie in our league. It's just that he gets jumped on every time he does misjudge something.How about their goalie when Nish's header hit the bar from close in? Why wasn't Gallacher coming for that? What was he doing?Running across his goal the wrong way.But he got away with it. If Nish had scored would Gallacher have been a clown?:confused:

*Otherwise known as "a flap"

He had no business "getting a hand to it" if he wasn't going to do anything with it. The BEST that could have happened would have been untidy and palming the ball towards your own penalty spot with opposition players advancing is a SERIOUS lack of judgement.

Carry on defending him but THAT "miracle" was the final and main contribution to conceding the goal (which was taken very well by McGinn incidentally).

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 05:01 PM

:top marks

TheBall'sRound
17-08-2009, 05:04 PM
We could always turn him into a centre half...

Where's Lexo Miller when you need him?!? :grr::greengrin

wee 162
17-08-2009, 05:21 PM

He had no business "getting a hand to it" if he wasn't going to do anything with it. The BEST that could have happened would have been untidy and palming the ball towards your own penalty spot with opposition players advancing is a SERIOUS lack of judgement.

Carry on defending him but THAT "miracle" was the final and main contribution to conceding the goal (which was taken very well by McGinn incidentally).

If he hadn't got a hand to that it was going to Higdon at the back post. Who wouldn't have had a keeper to beat. Which would have also been the keepers fault presumably.

So he gets crucified for trying to cut a cross out which none of our defenders reacted to. And if he hadn't went for it he'd have been crucified for not even trying to cut out what I'm sure would have been described as a "bread and butter cross".

I thought his mistake was chasing it out after he'd got a touch tbh. At that point he's stopped the immediate threat and there were plenty of defenders around who you'd expect to react to the loose ball. They didn't of course, but you could still expect them to!

Hibs Spain
17-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Carry on defending him but THAT "miracle" was the final and main contribution to conceding the goal (which was taken very well by McGinn incidentally).He had a few decent "flaps" in the 1-0 game at ER last season if I'm not mistaken :confused: Enough for our new leader to have commented positively on :agree: Big high cross ... Out came Maka FLAP.. danger gone. Oooohhh ..in came another one .. FLAP ..danger over...:bye:

Hibs Spain
17-08-2009, 06:25 PM
If he hadn't got a hand to that it was going to Higdon at the back post. Who wouldn't have had a keeper to beat. Which would have also been the keepers fault presumably.

So he gets crucified for trying to cut a cross out which none of our defenders reacted to. And if he hadn't went for it he'd have been crucified for not even trying to cut out what I'm sure would have been described as a "bread and butter cross".

I thought his mistake was chasing it out after he'd got a touch tbh. At that point he's stopped the immediate threat and there were plenty of defenders around who you'd expect to react to the loose ball. They didn't of course, but you could still expect them to!Agree completely.. If he's to blame for anything it was chasing the ball after he tipped it away. But none of the defence were doing it.

Newhaven
17-08-2009, 10:53 PM

How can we? We didn't know what he did in training :confused: :greengrin

Newhaven
17-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Excellent post especially the bit in bold.

I think the main attraction with fans to Maka is that he has a song which the supporters can sing to the Perfecto All Stars tune :bitchy:

MrRobot
17-08-2009, 11:07 PM
In my eyes, Maka came out for the cross as he knew he would be blamed it anything happen. It was a terrible back pass, bad pass out and Hanlon should never have given it away. Maka came to mke amends, and went to chase it to make up for his part in the gaff.

Maka is a good goalie, need to lay off the guy. He has shakey moments, but we havent even seen Stack play and we want him in already.

TheBall'sRound
17-08-2009, 11:08 PM

I thought his mistake was chasing it out after he'd got a touch tbh. At that point he's stopped the immediate threat and there were plenty of defenders around who you'd expect to react to the loose ball. They didn't of course, but you could still expect them to!

If you watch the highlights again you can see that Higdon is marked by two Hibs players. Whether they would have dealt with it is conjecture as Maka took the matter out of everyone's hands by weakly slapping the ball down.

Either punch it or retreat to the line and let your defence deal with it. An open handed slap was the single WORST thing he could have done.

Captain Trips
18-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Unfortunatley Hogg's pass and Hanlon.s error did not lead to a clear goal scoring opportunity, after Hanlon lost the ball which was poor St Mirren were in a standard position that every team that plays football will be in, in a match, on the byline putting in a cross.

So all Maka had to do as did the defence was deal with a cross, well we seen how Maka dealt with it and it was not best. If Hanlon lost ball at halfway line and their striker had run in at goal and scored then yeah 100% Hanlon, however Hanlons mistake lead to a situation thats standard in the game a cross into box.

Yes 2 errors occured but they led to a defendable situation once St Mirren had ball, its from that point I am concerned the way a cross was totally messed up.

J-C
18-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Watched it last night and have to say all 3 were to blame.
Hogg for not passing it to Maka's right hand side. to make it easier to cloear.
Maka for being overly confident, laid back and not looking where he was passing.
Hanlon for not controllong the pass and being a bit naive and losing the ball.

At the end of the day it didn't cost us but these schoolboy errors must be eradicated ASAP or we will be leaking goals all season.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I saw the goal again on the highlights last night and I don’t think Hogg’s pass-back was that bad. Yes it was a bit heavy but Maka had noone within 10-15 yards off him and should have been able to deal with it comfortably. Put it this way – if a keeper at that level can’t deal with a pass-back like that he shouldn’t be playing at that level.

Andy74
18-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Unfortunatley Hogg's pass and Hanlon.s error did not lead to a clear goal scoring opportunity, after Hanlon lost the ball which was poor St Mirren were in a standard position that every team that plays football will be in, in a match, on the byline putting in a cross.

So all Maka had to do as did the defence was deal with a cross, well we seen how Maka dealt with it and it was not best. If Hanlon lost ball at halfway line and their striker had run in at goal and scored then yeah 100% Hanlon, however Hanlons mistake lead to a situation thats standard in the game a cross into box.

Yes 2 errors occured but they led to a defendable situation once St Mirren had ball, its from that point I am concerned the way a cross was totally messed up.

I'm sorry, I don't get any of that. Stopping crosses getting in in the first place is a vital part of defending. Hanlon caused a situation where a cross could get into the box.

Not dealing with the cross is also an error, but both were, and so was the back pass itself.

Balls just don't suddenly appear in the box and that's where you goalscoring opportunity starts and ends from.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry, I don't get any of that. Stopping crosses getting in in the first place is a vital part of defending. Hanlon caused a situation where a cross could get into the box.

Not dealing with the cross is also an error, but both were, and so was the back pass itself.

Balls just don't suddenly appear in the box and that's where you goalscoring opportunity starts and ends from.

You forgot about dealing with a pass-back. It was on the heavy side but not overly so, especially when the keepe has no opposition player within 10-15 yards. Shouldn't this count as well?

The cross only came in 'cos he couldn't deal with a pass-back.

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Yes 2 errors occured but they led to a defendable situation once St Mirren had ball, its from that point I am concerned the way a cross was totally messed up.How do you think another keeper would have dealt with that cross? Because if Maka could only get a finger tip to it,then any other goalie wouldn't have got it at all :confused: Maka is becoming a victim of his own athletism. People getting used to him reaching high crosses forget that when he doesn't quite reach one ... Any other goalie would be miles away..

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 10:07 AM
How do you think another keeper would have dealt with that cross? Because if Maka could only get a finger tip to it,then any other goalie wouldn't have got it at all :confused: Maka is becoming a victim of his own athletism. People getting used to him reaching high crosses forget that when he doesn't quite reach one ... Any other goalie would be miles away..

If a man of 6ft7inches jumps 1ft off the ground and another man of 6ft1inches jumps 2ft off the ground – which man is furthest from the ground?

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 01:40 PM
If a man of 6ft7inches jumps 1ft off the ground and another man of 6ft1inches jumps 2ft off the ground – which man is furthest from the ground?This is where Maka wins again.His leap is as high as his peers,if not higher ie the distance between the soles of his feet and the ground when he jumps :greengrin

--------
18-08-2009, 01:45 PM
If a man of 6ft7inches jumps 1ft off the ground and another man of 6ft1inches jumps 2ft off the ground – which man is furthest from the ground?

Which is EXACTLY the reasoning why I don't think we need to be looking for another Rob Jones at centre-half.

Just an athletic, skillful, and intelligent footballer. :devil:

Mag7
18-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Having watched the goal for the first time since Saturday I think the blame has to be split three ways between Hogg, Hanlon and Maka. Pretty dreadful all round. Can only hope the fact it came so early in the season it will serve as a wake-up call and we won't see such calamitous defending again.

Golden Bear
18-08-2009, 02:54 PM
This is where Maka wins again.His leap is as high as his peers,if not higher ie the distance between the soles of his feet and the ground when he jumps :greengrin

However an athritic elephant would get down to the low shots far quicker than Maka ever does!

legends of 73
18-08-2009, 03:03 PM

your having a ****ing laff one man to blame and thats maka he should have controled the ball from hogg,he should have seen the player up hanlons arse when he played it to him,he should have cut out the cross instead of flapping.

ow many times are we going to put up with this ****:grr::grr:

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 03:09 PM
However an athritic elephant would get down to the low shots far quicker than Maka ever does!Like the one he saved against Mendes last season?

Brooster
18-08-2009, 03:22 PM
your having a ****ing laff one man to blame and thats maka he should have controled the ball from hogg,he should have seen the player up hanlons arse when he played it to him,he should have cut out the cross instead of flapping.

At last some sense, you are spot on mate. I am sick to the back teeth of Maka and would not care one jot if he never played for us again. His next mistake is just around the corner. His mistakes in the last 2 league games prove he will never be a keeper.

Golden Bear
18-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Like the one he saved against Mendes last season?

If Maka was as brilliant a keeper as you seem to think he is, then we would have very few threads about him on this messageboard.

Instead we have weekly, and sometimes daily posts and they inevitably stem from his latest blunder.

wee 162
18-08-2009, 04:33 PM
If Maka was as brilliant a keeper as you seem to think he is, then we would have very few threads about him on this messageboard.

Instead we have weekly, and sometimes daily posts and they inevitably stem from his latest blunder.

They inevitably stem from Hibs supporters having completely unrealistic expectations about keepers.

How many threads are there on a Dundee Utd messageboard about Weaver (who had a good game last night) completely missing a nothing ball leaving an empty net for Obua? Obua being rank and passing it to a Dundee Utd defender doesn't make it not an error.

How many threads are on Kickback about their keeper coming 35 yards from his goal trying to reach a ball he never was going to come close to getting near?

And how many threads would there be on here if Ma-Kalambay made those mistakes and got punished for them?

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2009, 04:55 PM
They inevitably stem from Hibs supporters having completely unrealistic expectations about keepers.

How many threads are there on a Dundee Utd messageboard about Weaver (who had a good game last night) completely missing a nothing ball leaving an empty net for Obua? Obua being rank and passing it to a Dundee Utd defender doesn't make it not an error.

How many threads are on Kickback about their keeper coming 35 yards from his goal trying to reach a ball he never was going to come close to getting near?

And how many threads would there be on here if Ma-Kalambay made those mistakes and got punished for them?
Weaver had a good game, he never contributed towards united losing any stupid goals, so there will be no threads i'd imagine on any of his errors.:confused:

wee 162
18-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Weaver had a good game, he never contributed towards united losing any stupid goals, so there will be no threads i'd imagine on any of his errors.:confused:

Probably not. However if that was a Hibs keeper there would be threads on that sort of mistake. We're wildly over-critical of our keepers, and have been since Brown at least. And the thing is that up till Maka getting the gloves, the pressure created by the ultra-critical mode we've went into with our goalies mistakes has led every single one of them collapsing under that pressure.

So maybe it is time to give our goalies a break. They make mistakes. So does everyone elses.

Chuckie
18-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Probably not. However if that was a Hibs keeper there would be threads on that sort of mistake. We're wildly over-critical of our keepers, and have been since Brown at least. And the thing is that up till Maka getting the gloves, the pressure created by the ultra-critical mode we've went into with our goalies mistakes has led every single one of them collapsing under that pressure.

So maybe it is time to give our goalies a break. They make mistakes. So does everyone elses.

Pish.

How many complaint threads were there about Szamatoulski ?

We were happy.

wee 162
18-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Pish.

We were happy.

No idea how many. But I'd be asking why there weren't any after the huns game at ER where he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals and possibly all three if there wasn't?

Of course, the season was finished by that point anyway so it wasn't particularly relevant, but please don't try and tell me that he never made any mistakes.

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 06:08 PM

And how many threads would there be on here if Ma-Kalambay made those mistakes and got punished for them?Even if Maka wasn't punished ... They'd be on his back. So where's the rational thinking... It's like some kind of mass hysteria every time Maka does something that's not absolutely perfect!!

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Pish.

We were happy.Who's WE ? WE thought he was a bombscare :bye:

erskine-hibby
18-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Nice guy though he is, he is DEFO! a liability. IMHO he should be dropped ASAP and not make another appearance until he can show, in the reserves/loan, that he is no longer going to drop clangers on a regular basis.
There was no way the pass back was difficult to deal with, then to pass it out to a player with 2 opposition players baring down on him, then to go after a cross that there was no way he could do anything more than parry down, shows that he has more than a little to learn and for his, and Hibs, own good a little time in the reserves, or shipped out to a lower league club, would/should do him good.

BigKev
18-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Who's WE ? WE thought he was a bombscare :bye:

Ok Maka - you've made your point - now leave this thread to the fans :greengrin

Chuckie
18-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Who's WE ? WE thought he was a bombscare :bye:

WE felt happier and safer with a one legged Monk, with a bad back who couldn't take goal kicks than with number 50.

Not good enough.

hibsbollah
18-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Like the one he saved against Mendes last season?

That was a superb save, i said at the time i couldnt believe how quickly he got down low to his right:agree:
However, the makahaters will have erased it from their memories, no doubt:rolleyes:

Captain Trips
18-08-2009, 07:48 PM

My point is simple yes there were errors from several people but it resulted in a cross that should have been dealt with better. Teams deal with crosses in every match we failed to deal with one, im fully aware of the reasons why the situation ended up from Hogg's pass to a St mirren player being in a position to cross a ball.

If St mirren had worked a move down wing and got in a cross and the same happened more folk would be on his back. Its just the fact there were several errors before hand.

Captain Trips
18-08-2009, 07:49 PM
How do you think another keeper would have dealt with that cross? Because if Maka could only get a finger tip to it,then any other goalie wouldn't have got it at all :confused: Maka is becoming a victim of his own athletism. People getting used to him reaching high crosses forget that when he doesn't quite reach one ... Any other goalie would be miles away..

By staying on his line maybe and letting a defender make the header, there are times when you make an effort to outjump folk, that wasnt one of them.

Danderhall Hibs
18-08-2009, 07:51 PM
That was a superb save, i said at the time i couldnt believe how quickly he got down low to his right:agree:
However, the makahaters will have erased it from their memories, no doubt:rolleyes:

This is the problem many people seem to have - noone has to take sides here. Unfortunately that's what's happened and you find that guys are blindly defending the boy rather than being objective. If he has a good game again then I'm sure the reverse will be the case.

Let's try and be objective instead of picking a side and sticking with it no matter what.

Captain Trips
18-08-2009, 07:53 PM
This is the problem many people seem to have - noone has to take sides here. Unfortunately that's what's happened and you find that guys are blindly defending the boy rather than being objective. If he has a good game again then I'm sure the reverse will be the case.

Let's try and be objective instead of picking a side and sticking with it no matter what.

Hibs Spain
18-08-2009, 08:56 PM
However, the makahaters will have erased it from their memories, no doubt:rolleyes:It was to Maka's left....Can't be bothered looking you up to see if you're an ..... Or a complete .......................

GlesgaeHibby
18-08-2009, 09:55 PM
FAO Hibs Spain.

For once can you actually look at the facts? Yes Maka has made some top saves for us. I don't think anybody disputes that he is a great shot stopper. The problem is he keeps making a crucial mistake every 6 or 7 games.

2 Against Aberdeen at home -Collins in charge
1 Against Aberdeen-last game of season last year
1 Against Hearts- Scottish Cup this year
1 Against St Mirren @ Love St when tommy Craig was in charge
1 Against Hearts (1-1 Game at ER Aguiar free kick)
1 Against Falkirk at the Falkirk stadium last season (1-1) game. He came for the ball and got nowhere near it
1 Against St Mirren again this weekend.

There are probably a few I have forgot but thats 8 to go on with. In 55 appearances that shows he makes a clanger roughly 6.875 games. Exactly as I thought.

With 55 first team appearances behind him I'd have hoped he could have eradicated these clangers, but it looks unlikely.

Yes he is a nice guy, yes he is a great shot stopper but he won't make it. He keeps on making stupid errors.

RIP
19-08-2009, 06:08 AM
From the BBC highlights

Lazily stuck out a foot to collect Hogg's dodgy backpass.

Tried to look cool in letting it roll along the line instead of converting it to his right foot and clearing. By this time a Saints player was bearing down on him

Lazily looked up eventually only to see the Hanlon option by which time the ball was on his left foot.

He should also have seen the player lurking behind Paul.

After dispatching the ball he should have run back to his goal. He doesn't. The highlights clearly show that he lingers for several moments at the corner of his 6-yard box, thus being out of position when Dorman's cross comes in.

Realising he is caught out of position he then tries to commit to stopping the header. Instead of punching the ball out wide he flaps it down to a St Mirren player.

Then instead of retreating into the goalmouth he goes chasey.

At least half a dozen separate instances where he had an opportunity to make a decision - and he chose the wrong one

He may be a good athlete but does he show any evidence of having a goalkeeping brain? Or any brain for that matter.

Rant over!!:brickwall

RickyS
19-08-2009, 08:34 AM
WE felt happier and safer with a one legged Monk, with a bad back who couldn't take goal kicks than with number 50.

Not good enough.

yep, i was part of that "WE"

Jack
19-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Why don’t we have a wee game, a wee witch hunt against our goalkeeper.

As part of the Makas Association of Defenders (MAD) I will on this occasion concede that the goal was Makas fault. This is despite it being an atrocious pass back; despite Hanlon asking for the ball and Maka passing it to exactly where he wanted it and despite at least half a dozen Hibs players playing statues while the ball bounced around the box with only Maka doing anything about it.

So the witch hunt so far stands at;

Goals where the big man is at fault 1; points lost as a result NIL.

Och! Lets have a wee witch hunt against the forwards as well; St Deeks and the devil incarnate Nish.

Deeks shots 6; goals NIL
Nish shots 4; goals NIL

Nah, nah! Lets have a witch hunt against the whole team!

The whole team 21 shots; 11 on target; 2 goals.

A disgrace :grr: , not nearly good enough for Hibs :grr: , we should have had at least 20 on target and 19 goals! :agree:

Alternatively we could get behind the whole team, the whole club. We lost a goal, so what, we won the game. How many managers and good ones at that have said I don’t care how many they score so long as we score one more. Think of Real Madrid, shocking the number of goals they concede but they will never be remembered for that!

Lets look forward to stuffing Falkirk on Saturday!

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Alternatively we could get behind the whole team, the whole club. We lost a goal, so what, we won the game. How many managers and good ones at that have said I don’t care how many they score so long as we score one more. Think of Real Madrid, shocking the number of goals they concede but they will never be remembered for that!

Lets look forward to stuffing Falkirk on Saturday!

You’ve slightly missed the point Jack. This is no witch hunt, just an objective look at a keeper who is still costing us goals. Yes Saturday’s didn’t cost us any points but the next mistake might.

It’s not as if this is a one-off is it? It will happen again – probably in a derby. Again.

Andy74
19-08-2009, 09:12 AM
You’ve slightly missed the point Jack. This is no witch hunt, just an objective look at a keeper who is still costing us goals. Yes Saturday’s didn’t cost us any points but the next mistake might.

It’s not as if this is a one-off is it? It will happen again – probably in a derby. Again.

Of course it will happen again, teams lose goals all the time and at some point, quite often, people think the keeper could have done better. Do we usually lose like 60 a season or more?

The thing is, are the goals our keeper could be said to be responsible for more than any other?

Is he also making more saves than any others? Taking more crosses that any other?

I think he does okay judged against anyone else.

Someone has posted above something like 8 mistakes. Some of those are also just being slightly wronly positioned, or could have maybe done a bit better. There'll be more as well judged on that basis. Doesn't really matter.

That's not bad over two seasons though.

The striker thing above is relevant, no-one says it's all very well that Riordan scores today but next week he'll probably mis hit a shot. It's the positive contribution of scoring that is important.

Maka could go 5 or 6 games in a row doing the right things, the equivalent of Riordan scoring, which would be a great ratio, yet it's the mistake that is talked about. If Riordan scored 5 or 6 games in a row would a mis hit shot resulting in no goal be what we would concentrate on? Would we all say during his run that it's all very well but I'm sure he'll miss another in 5 or 6 weeks?

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 09:19 AM
FAO Hibs Spain.

For once can you actually look at the facts? Yes Maka has made some top saves for us. I don't think anybody disputes that he is a great shot stopper. The problem is he keeps making a crucial mistake every 6 or 7 games.

2 Against Aberdeen at home -Collins in charge
1 Against Aberdeen-last game of season last year
1 Against Hearts- Scottish Cup this year
1 Against St Mirren @ Love St when tommy Craig was in charge
1 Against Hearts (1-1 Game at ER Aguiar free kick)
1 Against Falkirk at the Falkirk stadium last season (1-1) game. He came for the ball and got nowhere near it
1 Against St Mirren again this weekend.

There are probably a few I have forgot but thats 8 to go on with. In 55 appearances that shows he makes a clanger roughly 6.875 games. Exactly as I thought.

With 55 first team appearances behind him I'd have hoped he could have eradicated these clangers, but it looks unlikely.

Yes he is a nice guy, yes he is a great shot stopper but he won't make it. He keeps on making stupid errors.

Another against Hearts from a weak Velicka header which he fumbled over the line lost 1-0. Game against Gretna where he set up the wall and ignored the other side of the goal.

Allied to these glaring mistakes he frequently looks likely to commit more ones and IMO is not decisive or commanding enough to help the defence. Get Stack in now before the next mistake.

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2009, 09:21 AM
The thing is, are the goals our keeper could be said to be responsible for more than any other?

I think so. But even if not he's still costing us too many goals/points IMO. I just want a steady keepr that does the basics and doesn't scare the ***** out of you everytime the ball goes near him.

The comparsions between striker and goalie are ridiculous.

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Another against Hearts from a weak Velicka header which he fumbled over the line lost 1-0. Game against Gretna where he set up the wall and ignored the other side of the goal.

Allied to these glaring mistakes he frequently looks likely to commit more ones and IMO is not decisive or commanding enough to help the defence. Get Stack in now before the next mistake.

Most of these errors have been clouded by those trying to blame someone else for them "Velika shouldn't have headered it so powerfully" etc.

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Of course it will happen again, teams lose goals all the time and at some point, quite often, people think the keeper could have done better. Do we usually lose like 60 a season or more?

Is he also making more saves than any others? Taking more crosses that any other?

I think he does okay judged against anyone else.

Someone has posted above something like 8 mistakes. Some of those are also just being slightly wronly positioned, or could have maybe done a bit better. There'll be more as well judged on that basis. Doesn't really matter.

That's not bad over two seasons though.

The striker thing above is relevant, no-one says it's all very well that Riordan scores today but next week he'll probably mis hit a shot. It's the positive contribution of scoring that is important.

Maka could go 5 or 6 games in a row doing the right things, the equivalent of Riordan scoring, which would be a great ratio, yet it's the mistake that is talked about. If Riordan scored 5 or 6 games in a row would a mis hit shot resulting in no goal be what we would concentrate on? Would we all say during his run that it's all very well but I'm sure he'll miss another in 5 or 6 weeks?

Personally think losing a goal every 6 or so games to a blatant goalkeeping mistake is too high. I am not sure he doesnt contribute to others by his lack of decisiveness and failure to command the box.

JimBHibees
19-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Most of these errors have been clouded by those trying to blame someone else for them "Velika shouldn't have headered it so powerfully" etc.

Yep, nasty Hearts player trying to score a goal against Hibs in the derby. :greengrin

Andy74
19-08-2009, 09:37 AM
The comparsions between striker and goalie are ridiculous.

Why? Why should our expectations of having the almost perfect match every week only relate to the goalkeeper??

On a related point what we should have is a stick at the top with SPL goalkeeper watch. Every week each and every gola in the SPL sshould be watched and the keeper looked at in the same way as we would look at Mak and record agains the name anyhting where they could be regarded as something to do with the keeper.

For those that are convinced that Maka is worse than the rest this would be a useful exercise.

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Why? Why should our expectations of having the almost perfect match every week only relate to the goalkeeper??

On a related point what we should have is a stick at the top with SPL goalkeeper watch. Every week each and every gola in the SPL sshould be watched and the keeper looked at in the same way as we would look at Mak and record agains the name anyhting where they could be regarded as something to do with the keeper.

For those that are convinced that Maka is worse than the rest this would be a useful exercise.

I don’t expect the perfect match, just one where I’m not panicking everytime the ball goes near the keeper. A bit like I was when the Monk was in goal.

I agree about the sticky – although I would say that the exercise would be pointless if he does get dropped.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
19-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Hibs Spain is clearly Maka's lover....lets ignore him.

Who was at fault....all 3 IMO
and in this order

Bit to blame - Hogg - not the best back pass, but not as bad as people are making out.

More to blame - Hanlon - his touch to control the ball is poor for a professional footballer at any level IMO

Most to blame - Maka - He should have controlled original pass, should have punted instead of played it to Hanlon (which i think may have been a miskick anyway) and finally if he was only going to get a finger tip to the cross then he should have stayed on his line and let the defenders attempt to defend. If he was on his line he would have had a far greater opertunity to save any shot/header that came at him

Stevie Reid
19-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Why should our expectations of having the almost perfect match every week only relate to the goalkeeper??

Because goalkeeper is a highly specialised position and those are the pitfalls that go along with it.

David Seaman was a superb goalkeeper with a very successful career including Premiership winners medals, UEFA Cup winners medals, FA and League Cup winners medals, and loads of caps for England including playing at the European Championships and World Cup Finals - yet he is most remembered for twice being lobbed from distance in very high profile matches.

Gus Fring
19-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Blimey, i only started this thread cos i thought it was cool that he shook everyones hand :duck:

davemcbain
19-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Blimey, i only started this thread cos i thought it was cool that he shook everyones hand :duck:

Yup, but you miss a few hands and see how many people want you booted out the team. Next time Maka....you need to shake another 11,000 :devil:

Littlest Hobo
19-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Maka is a liability,end of! Makes you wonder if peeps are defending him out of blind loyalty or are they just really bad judges of a good solid reliable goalkeeper? How many Maka discussions do we need to have this season i wonder before people eventually wake up?:rolleyes:

Luna_Asylum
19-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Maka is a liability,end of! Makes you wonder if peeps are defending him out of blind loyalty or are they just really bad judges of a good solid reliable goalkeeper? How many Maka discussions do we need to have this season i wonder before people eventually wake up?:rolleyes:

Maka is not a liability. Maybe you are the bad goalkeeper judge.
David Calamity James is Englands No1 despite regular howlers.
You cant fairly judge a keeper on his bad points alone surely.

RickyS
19-08-2009, 12:58 PM

I am in the "maka is a liability" camp if im honest, yes all goalies make mistakes and I could forgive the odd one but I dont think you could describe him as a "safe pair of hands". the way I judge things is to look at the 1st choices at other clubs and if I would swap them, heres my take on it

"YES" I would swap
Huns McGregor/Alexander
Celts Boruc/Zaluska
Sheep Langfield
Killie Combe
Utd Weaver/Banks
Yams Baloch/Kello
St Mirren Gallacher
St Johnstone Graeme Smith
Hamilton Cerny

"NO" I wouldnae
Well Michael Fraser
Falkirk Olejnic

there will be different opinions but that to me is the proof that Maka is weak. wonder how many would swap us?

--------
19-08-2009, 01:03 PM

That'll teach ya! :devil:

I'll tell you what I DID find indefensible on Saturday - the guy who stood up a few rows behind me in the West when they scored and gave Maka a blast of the foulest abuse regardless of the fact that that section was well-filled with family groups and children.

I have to commend him for his stamina, his invention, and his masterly command of the Anglo-Saxon, but I did wonder at the time how the manager would have felt if all 12,500 of us had decided to do the same? Not just at Maka, but at Chris and Paul and anyone else we felt like abusing?

hibsbollah
19-08-2009, 01:53 PM
It was to Maka's left....Can't be bothered looking you up to see if you're an ..... Or a complete .......................

You're right, i was thinking of a similarly great save he made down to his right from Driver in the derby. I dont know what your aggressive response is all about though:confused:

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Decent keeper who will go onto become one of Europe's best. After Zibbi and Clown some Hibs supporters think its their entitlement to have goalie who makes zero errors.

RickyS
19-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Decent keeper who will go onto become one of Europe's best. After Zibbi and Clown some Hibs supporters think its their entitlement to have goalie who makes zero errors.

thats some prediction. can I ask whats inspired such confidence?

Dashing Bob S
19-08-2009, 02:14 PM
thats some prediction. can I ask whats inspired such confidence?

Yes.

Gin.

Speedway
19-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Unless you're Ian Murray :agree:

wee 162
19-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Because goalkeeper is a highly specialised position and those are the pitfalls that go along with it.

David Seaman was a superb goalkeeper with a very successful career including Premiership winners medals, UEFA Cup winners medals, FA and League Cup winners medals, and loads of caps for England including playing at the European Championships and World Cup Finals - yet he is most remembered for twice being lobbed from distance in very high profile matches.

So David Seaman wouldn't have been good enough for a decent chunk of the Hibs support then due to making a couple of mistakes. Couldn't disagree with that.

Golden Bear
19-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I am in the "maka is a liability" camp if im honest, yes all goalies make mistakes and I could forgive the odd one but I dont think you could describe him as a "safe pair of hands". the way I judge things is to look at the 1st choices at other clubs and if I would swap them, heres my take on it

"YES" I would swap
Huns McGregor/Alexander
Celts Boruc/Zaluska
Sheep Langfield
Killie Combe
Utd Weaver/Banks
Yams Baloch/Kello
St Mirren Gallacher
Hamilton Cerny

"NO" I wouldnae
Well Michael Fraser
Falkirk Olejnic

there will be different opinions but that to me is the proof that Maka is weak. wonder how many would swap us?

This post pretty well sums it up.

Maka is not only a laughing stock (except its not funny) with a sizeable number of Hibs supporters, ( I suspect the majority), but also with fans of other teams in the SPL.

Hopefully the situation will be rectified shortly and Yogi will have the common sense to do what needs to be done.

Stevie Reid
19-08-2009, 03:46 PM
So David Seaman wouldn't have been good enough for a decent chunk of the Hibs support then due to making a couple of mistakes. Couldn't disagree with that.

The funny thing is that Seaman wasn't hugely at fault for either of those goals I mentioned, he was just a wee bit off his line and shown up by 2 bits of sublime skill (and in fornt of millions of people on TV).

Another funny thing is that Saturday was a wee snippet of everything that's wrong with Maka's game (at times) in a wee 10 second cameo - lackadaisical/too casual; poor distribution/awareness; and flapping at crossballs - yet some people seem to think he was entirely blameless.

Maka does not exhibit these traits all the time, but he has cost us a notable number of goals in the past due to one or a combination of them - including 2 in our last 2 competitive matches.

As has been pointed out by others, this is not a witchhunt, I myself have defended Maka many times in the past. But what is the point in Yogi signing someone as competition for Makalamby if he is not going to drop Maka for the competition when he makes glaring errors in successive matches? Hardly fair in the spirit of competition is it?

I have nothing against Makalamby at all, I just want the Hibs team with the best chance of winning the game to be on the park for Saturday, and at the moment, I believe that that team should include Stack. Yogi, who knows better than I do, will make that decision however, so we'll see what happens.

It is of course perfectly possible that Stack could come in and make a glaring error of his own - but he at least deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Aye that's what we're saying, aye you're spot on. :rolleyes:

RickyS
19-08-2009, 05:26 PM
This post pretty well sums it up.

Maka is not only a laughing stock (except its not funny) with a sizeable number of Hibs supporters, ( I suspect the majority), but also with fans of other teams in the SPL.

Hopefully the situation will be rectified shortly and Yogi will have the common sense to do what needs to be done.

he has become so renowned for it, that virtually every set of visiting fans give us an oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh every time the balls passed to him. I cant think of a goalie error that handed us the points in recent times, but maka cant be far short of giving every team in the SPL at LEAST one howler to laugh at us with.

Luna_Asylum
19-08-2009, 07:55 PM
he has become so renowned for it, that virtually every set of visiting fans give us an oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh every time the balls passed to him. I cant think of a goalie error that handed us the points in recent times, but maka cant be far short of giving every team in the SPL at LEAST one howler to laugh at us with.

I like maka. He is still young as a goalie. I guess he will always be error prone but I reckon any goals lost due to him may be more than compensated by goals saved.
%*^k the visiting fans

wee 162
19-08-2009, 08:12 PM

10 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyrG3DzCA0)

1 minute 12 seconds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg&feature=related)

5 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmERgF0GWEk&feature=related)

8 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY8TFg9z_xE)

You've got a very selective memory. Which is fine. But it's because our keepers have made a lot of mistakes, not just the current one. Ma-Kalambay has made mistakes as well and I don't think anyone would deny that (and I haven't seen them doing so on here). But so does everyone else. If we continue to think that it's only our keeper who makes mistakes, then all we are doing is putting ridicilous pressure on whoever is in goals for us.

If Stack takes over he'll be put under the exact same pressure as Maka, McNeil (mind of him, made a great save in a cup final a couple of years ago at a crucial point, never made a mistake for his first 4 months in the team, made one and they started going in everywhere as his confidence disappeared, he's now at Bonnyrigg Rose I believe) Zibby, and Simon Brown were put under. Maybe Stack would be fine when he's put under the sort of pressure we put our keepers under when he makes a mistake, but if he's not then the cycle just keeps going on. Ma-Kalambay has been the only one of our last 4 keepers to handle it even remotely. Sure he still makes mistakes, but he doesn't let that destroy his confidence as has happened to all the rest of them.

RickyS
19-08-2009, 11:06 PM
10 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyrG3DzCA0)

1 minute 12 seconds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg&feature=related)

5 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmERgF0GWEk&feature=related)

8 seconds in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY8TFg9z_xE)

You've got a very selective memory. Which is fine. But it's because our keepers have made a lot of mistakes, not just the current one. Ma-Kalambay has made mistakes as well and I don't think anyone would deny that (and I haven't seen them doing so on here). But so does everyone else. If we continue to think that it's only our keeper who makes mistakes, then all we are doing is putting ridicilous pressure on whoever is in goals for us.

If Stack takes over he'll be put under the exact same pressure as Maka, McNeil (mind of him, made a great save in a cup final a couple of years ago at a crucial point, never made a mistake for his first 4 months in the team, made one and they started going in everywhere as his confidence disappeared, he's now at Bonnyrigg Rose I believe) Zibby, and Simon Brown were put under. Maybe Stack would be fine when he's put under the sort of pressure we put our keepers under when he makes a mistake, but if he's not then the cycle just keeps going on. Ma-Kalambay has been the only one of our last 4 keepers to handle it even remotely. Sure he still makes mistakes, but he doesn't let that destroy his confidence as has happened to all the rest of them.

I see what your saying, but all players 1-11 are under more scrutiny than ever. and fans have more opportunites to vent anger in public (here/phone ins) and yes you are right, it has become a bit of a poison chalice and I really hope Maka does not read this board for his own sanity. I applaud your support of the big man but I dont think he is one that has Rod doin cartwheels over his future value?
I was a lot more comfy in my seat with the Monk for that short time and I do believe that WHEN stack gets in, he will become our number one with a bit to spare.
I see your youtube howlers and yes they prove it happens to everyone, but I dont believe they are as frequent as Maka. hopefully scott thomson brings the best out of him and turns him into the goalie you think he can be. as I say I would love nowt more than to be proved wrong. lets wipe the slate clean, forget whats happened before and prove us doubters wrong.

Captain Trips
20-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Like Maka before Stack will be given a good chance if put in goals, although Maka made mistakes early on he was supported and encouraged as we all know keepers make mistakes and we had just had Zibbi/Brown. Maka was rightly given time.

Over 1 season on and the errors such as Aberdeen and the "lazy" approach to dealing with yes a poor pass are still there, these are the things that should have been ironed out.

Luna_Asylum
20-08-2009, 11:25 AM
maka to start against falkirk according to evening news:

Asked if the former Chelsea youngster would keep his place this weekend with new signing, Graham Stack, on the bench against Saints, Hughes answered: "Yes. Yves has been absolutely fantastic for me. I have been really impressed by him since I arrived at the club."

Hibs Spain
20-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Asked if the former Chelsea youngster would keep his place this weekend with new signing, Graham Stack, on the bench against Saints, Hughes answered: "Yes. Yves has been absolutely fantastic for me. I have been really impressed by him since I arrived at the club."Well well .. Seems as though the only views that matter are mine and Yogi's :greengrin

--------
20-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Well well .. Seems as though the only views that matter are mine and Yogi's :greengrin

Ssssshhh!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
20-08-2009, 11:46 AM
My point is simple yes there were errors from several people but it resulted in a cross that should have been dealt with better. Teams deal with crosses in every match we failed to deal with one, im fully aware of the reasons why the situation ended up from Hogg's pass to a St mirren player being in a position to cross a ball.

If St mirren had worked a move down wing and got in a cross and the same happened more folk would be on his back. Its just the fact there were several errors before hand.

"YES" I would swap
Huns McGregor/Alexander
Celts Boruc/Zaluska
Sheep Langfield
Killie Combe
Utd Weaver/Banks
Yams Baloch/Kello
St Mirren Gallacher
Hamilton Cerny

"NO" I wouldnae
Well Michael Fraser
Falkirk Olejnic

I'd swap with OF or Arabs. You can keep the rest IMHO

rightwinger
20-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Maka didn't cover himself in glory for St Mirren's goal on Saturday but it was very much a collective error.

Why Hogg had to play the backpass across Makalamby is beyond me - if he play's it narrower on the near side of goal the worst thing that happens is it goes for a corner. Hanlon was also far too slack as well.

The midfield was easily the strong point on Saturday - everywhere else a bit shaky. Nish was powderpuff up front and Riordan - great talent that he is - is so lazy and unfit its not true. I also don't share the excitement about the full-backs. Give McCann a break due to his long injury, but - although a fairly solid defender - he's incredibly laboured and cumbersome going forward. Although committed, Hanlon let us down by not being anywhere near positive enough going forward. When St Mirren went a man down, they squeezed the middle of the park and left themselves exposed down the left. Hanlon, however, rarely showed the belief or will to get down the flank, take men on and utilise the advantage.

For that, Hughes must take real credit for having the gumption to actually hook both the full-backs off and replace them with a striker and a winger. It's refreshing to see that he can make a non 'like for like' substitution before its too late. Given that Galbraith and Benji made and scored the winner - its fair to say we wouldn't have won the game with Hanlon and McCann still on the park.

The other positive was the midfield. To a man, they were all excellent. Cregg, McBride and Rankin were really solid and Wotherspoon looks to have that bit of spark and extra dimension that so many of our recent youngsters (Stevenson, McCann, Chisholm, Hanlon) badly lack.

Not great, but a fairly encouraging start. Putting the spotlight on the keeper warranted but he's not the only issue. Hughes has made some astute changes already and will need to make a lot more besides changing the goalie as the season progresses.

J-C
20-08-2009, 11:56 AM
This is the same Maka that got good reviews against Blackburn and Bolton after keeping clean sheets.

Yes an error was made by Maka, carelessness with pass back but Hanlon's control when the ball was given to him was also very poor. When the cross came in he tried to make amends by claiming the cross which he missed and then on it was a mess by the whole defence who never cleared their lines well.

So, one error in a game which we won and bagged the three points, if however he continues to make these mistakes and it starts to cost us wins and therefore points, then yes bring in Stack.

Hibs Spain
20-08-2009, 12:00 PM
This is the same Maka that got good reviews against Blackburn and Bolton after keeping clean sheets.

Yes an error was made by Maka, carelessness with pass back but Hanlon's control when the ball was given to him was also very poor. When the cross came in he tried to make amends by claiming the cross which he missed and then on it was a mess by the whole defence who never cleared their lines well.

So, one error in a game which we won and bagged the three points, if however he continues to make these mistakes and it starts to cost us wins and therefore points, then yes bring in Stack.Well yes of course.. That's certainly something myself and Yogi wouldn't rule out :greengrin

erskine-hibby
20-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Asked if the former Chelsea youngster would keep his place this weekend with new signing, Graham Stack, on the bench against Saints, Hughes answered: "Yes. Yves has been absolutely fantastic for me. I have been really impressed by him since I arrived at the club."

Not surprising really and, though I am loathed to say it, probably the correct decision. It is, though, a gamble and one I hope does not come back to bite us on the bum. I will always support the team on the park but that does not make me like the make up of that team.

Sandy
20-08-2009, 12:22 PM

So, one error in a game which we won and bagged the three points, if however he continues to make these mistakes and it starts to cost us wins and therefore points, then yes bring in Stack.

Most balanced post on the subject yet :top marks

Danderhall Hibs
20-08-2009, 12:56 PM

The defence collectively got clean sheets against Blackburn and Bolton. :wink:

Seriously though I've no problem with the guy when he's playing well, the problem is he's always got a mistake coming. After Saturday's mistake he's likely to have 2 or 3 good games then he'll chuck another on in against whoever it is we play the week after Celtic. He's proven this is how it goes with him - no concentration. How is it ok to have a goalie that consistently makes as long as we win? I want a goalie that makes few mistakes and we still win!

I reckon Yogi's giving him one more chance - after the next one he'll be out, even if a minority of folk blindly defend him on here.

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Fascinating the see that the 'Maka Today' thread is now in it's 6th day. Only needs two more days before it becomes relevant after the Falkirk game again.

The question is: will it last till then, or will we need a whole new 'Maka Today-ish' thread to cover next weekend's action?

Danderhall Hibs
20-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Fascinating the see that the 'Maka Today' thread is now in it's 6th day. Only needs two more days before it becomes relevant after the Falkirk game again.

The question is: will it last till then, or will we need a whole new 'Maka Today-ish' thread to cover next weekend's action?

He’ll be fine this week – it’s the game after the Celtc game I’m concerned about. Maybe even the Celtc game – that’s high profile.

This thread will do until then…

Hibs Spain
20-08-2009, 01:12 PM

So, one error in a game which we won and bagged the three points, if however he continues to make these mistakes and it starts to cost us wins and therefore points, then yes bring in Stack. I would be surprised if he doesn't make one error a game.And if he does,then it'll be less than any other goalie!

Danderhall Hibs
20-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I would be surprised if he doesn't make one error a game.And if he does,then it'll be less than any other goalie!

As long as it’s just one of his basic mistakes that he usually gets away with he’s likely to keep his place in the team. If it’s one of his biggy’s he’ll be out the side and we’ll “potentially” punt him to AC Milan or someone.